Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will we stomp the Titans' mule?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Does anyone have the ability to look up the run yards we gave up by QTR?

I want to say we did a fair to decent job in the first half, but got winded in our first four games.

banned1976

sleeper mode
9-1. 9 TD’s to 1 interception. That’s Tannehill this season. It could be argued the Titans have the advantage at the Quarterback position against Watson. They’ll have the best receiver on the field this Sunday. And the better TE.

The Titans have drafted and used their resources much better than the Texans have. Far better over the last couple years.

The Texans don’t have one advantage on the field when they match-up against the Titans. The only way they win this game is by dumb luck. I expect the Texans will lose by 12 or more points.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Titans have a weapon at the 2 positions that gives the Texans fits. Henry of course at RB and don't sleep on Jonnu Smith, their TE.
I've said before, that our TEs ain't Travis Kelsey. But Aikins & Fells would present so many options in a two TE set. Duke & David... so many options in a two back set. Then Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, Stills (how awesome that he's our 4th receiver)... We should be giving DCs nithgmares.

Sunshine

Practice Squad
What's up fella's?

Been a crazy and long off season, but here we are...
Can't wait for Sunday.

I have to admit I'd feel a lot better about the game if you guys still had BOB running things.
Still concerned that Watson may shred our secondary (A Jackson looks to still be out and the rookie Fulton just came off Covid protocols. Hopefully Simmons comes back tomorrow). Just got to hope the D doesn't give up the big plays, tightens up in the Red Zone, and at least somewhat contains Watson.

Offensively, I think you guys will have your hands full. Although, I am concerned about Kelly holding off your pass rush on the right side.
Looks like Humphries is back, AJ will be there (just not 100%), but Davis will probable be a no go. I think we need to get Smith involved early and often. I look for Tanne to spread the love.
Henry's stats are down, but he appears to be frustrated w/ himself and running angry. That could be good and bad for you guys. He may run a little impatient and try forcing things too much or he may end up making a couple of guys feel Norman's pain.

What do y'all think of the match up?

Here's to a dog fight of a game w/ no injuries all around.

Cheers

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
What's up fella's?

Can't wait for Sunday.

I have to admit I'd feel a lot better about the game if you guys still had BOB running things.
Still concerned that Watson may shred our secondary (A Jackson looks to still be out and the rookie Fulton just came off Covid protocols. Hopefully Simmons comes back tomorrow). Just got to hope the D doesn't give up the big plays, tightens up in the Red Zone, and at least somewhat contains Watson.

Offensively, I think you guys will have your hands full. Although, I am concerned about Kelly holding off your pass rush on the right side.
Looks like Humphries is back, AJ will be there (just not 100%), but Davis will probable be a no go. I think we need to get Smith involved early and often. I look for Tanne to spread the love.
Henry's stats are down, but he appears to be frustrated w/ himself and running angry. That could be good and bad for you guys. He may run a little impatient and try forcing things too much or he may end up making a couple of guys feel Norman's pain.

Cheers
Thanks for stopping by. The keys to this game are Texans stopping Henry and Titans stopping Watson. Whoever best accomplishes their goals there wins because Watson and Henry both can win a game by themselves.

Sunshine

Practice Squad
Thanks for stopping by. The keys to this game are Texans stopping Henry and Titans stopping Watson. Whoever best accomplishes their goals there wins because Watson and Henry both can win a game by themselves.
Can't argue with that.

Although, Tanne may present a challenge if the D gets to focused on DH. He's carried his accuracy and decision make over from last year.

Our run D is somewhat suspect (especially if Simmons is not in there). That dude is turning into a beast in the middle. Watson gives me bubble guts every snap of every game we have with you guys.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Can't argue with that.

Although, Tanne may present a challenge if the D gets to focused on DH. He's carried his accuracy and decision make over from last year.

Our run D is somewhat suspect (especially if Simmons is not in there). That dude is turning into a beast in the middle. Watson gives me bubble guts every snap of every game we have with you guys.
Well, both teams have some talent other than just Watson and D. Henry, just not enough. The Titans without Henry are meaningless, the Texans without Watson are just another high school team.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Worst run defense in the league vs. Derrick Henry. . . yeah, that's a no-brainer.

Titans defense will work to keep Watson off balance, hitting him from different directions with blitzes. I expect a bad day for the Texans.
I agree. The only way we can win this game is to keep the Titans offense off the field by keeping our offense on the field. Our defense is poor at tackling and Henry is a train.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Off season I and some others stated McKinney didn't fit scheme we thought Weaver would run. BMac out of way but I wish was
because of trade opening some cap space and bringing something back. At one point Adams was in consideration with Raiders to start at MLB. I would hope to seen Greenard gets some snaps there.

If Dunn is going to play Nose he needs to step it up.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think the odds are that the Titans win this one .... They are the better team.

They have the better QB statistically - argue all you want with the numbers but Tannehill has had a far better season to date than Watson.

They have the better OL and running game.

They have the better TE and WR.

Their defense is probably better.

They are better coached.

They also excel offensively in two area's where the Texans struggle - Tight Ends and Running the ball.

They are also at home which is usually good for +3 on the spread.

I'd take the Titans to cover this week ....

All the Texans have is .... "any given Sunday."

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Can’t really count Henry’s 200 yard, 3 TD game last year. That was like a preseason game for the Texans. In the game 2 weeks prior, they held Henry to 86 yards and kept him out of the end zone. They still gave up 168 rushing yards thanks to Jonnu Smith’s 57 yard run. Smith had over 100 yards from scrimmage, and AJ Brown had a big game, 114 yards and a TD.

Those will be the same 3 the Texans will need to get a handle on.

Turnovers could play a big role. The Titans are an NFL best +8, Texans a 3rd worst -5. The Texans really need to get on the plus side of that in this one. Best way to stop Henry and the long, clock eating drives they likely have through him, is to force turnovers. Texans are the only team in the league with no picks and Tannehill only has 1 this year.

Hopefully Cooks had his breakout game last week and is ready to go on a roll. Keep an eye on Stills as he had 2 TD against them last year.

How much motivation does JD have in this one? I believe it’s his first crack at the Texans, right?

It’s a division game and those are usually pretty close games no matter the record of the teams. I think this can be within one score, and I think the Texans could actually be on top at the end. Don’t feel like they will, but it’s possible.

Then you have to wonder if the Bills got beat like they did because they were worried about those Covid infested inbreds of Uranus breathing on them.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What's up fella's?

Can't wait for Sunday.

Cheers
Welcome to the board there, fellow.
I haven't gotten around to study the Titans this year, just watching the games on and off until now, when I just finished reviewing your first game against the Broncos (without Von Miller, I think).

If the Titans played like they did, the Texans should win.
Titans pulled out a 16-14 win with a last minute FG, but only after Lock missed an open receiver in the endzone that would have put the Broncos up by 8 with 3:20 to go.

Tannehill got lucky with an INT being called back due to a stupid foul by the D;
he had another one just plum dropped by a DB in the middle of the field;
and another ball that was batted straight up in the air.

Also, the Broncos had a mix up in coverage on a TD throw by Tannehill to Jonu on 4th and goal; easy score.

Henry is always a powerful back, but he didn't really look like a heavy duty truck in that game, and his lateral movement was just not there. Is he slowed by some kind of a minor health issue?

Ya'll had Corey Davis back then, but not anymore, as you stated above.

On our side, JJ Watt has been underrated by some of our own fans (because he couldn't measure up to his own lofty standard as when he was fully healthy), but I can tell you that he's been coming on, especially in the last game against the Jags.
It might not show up on tape, but he was on Minshew's grill all night long, from the start.

And that would often be on Kelly's side at RT, so tell him to be ready, ya' hear. :)

I'll have more observations some other time, once I have the chance to review more games.

In the meantime, keep on conversing. :wesmantexanfan:

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Pssst Titans.....this ain't your ol' OB offense coming to town. Not to mention, there's only 1 game of film on the new approach, not the requisite 6 games. This offense will add more wrinkles this coming week as Kelly/Watson slowly wash OB's fingerprints off the offense.

With the rescheduled Steelers game coming up in week 6, this game has "trap game" written all over it, even though it's a divisional match up. Houston had the most unforgiving schedules to lead off the season I've ever seen. And heads rolled as a result. Crennel is probably not the answer for a lot of reasons, but it looks like the players will play hard for him. And the Texans still have a lot of pieces that make them dangerous beginning with Watson and Watt. Containing Watson is always a big problem and our pass rush hasn't been great. Our third down defense is terrible by any metric. And for our O-line, Lewan's shoulder is still a problem which is not what you want to say when you're staring down a pissed off J J Watt.

That being said, the Titans are a team playing pissed off too, having been written off as a fake team by much of the league and pundits. True, defense hasn't been great but they've done enough to win right now. Offense has been playing much better. Tannehill's stats virtually match Patrick Mahomes over the last 14 games and we'll get more receivers back this week from COVID. The Bills game was an interesting contest where we largely let Josh Allen have the soft middle part of the zone and not have him pass over the top for huge plays. It looked like the strategy was to wait for him to make a mistake, which happened. The Titans now lead the league in takeaways. We went to the red zone six times in the Buffalo game and cashed in TDs every time. And of course, Derrick Henry is always dangerous, scoring twice last week, even on a down day in total yardage. And of course, finding time to posterize Josh Norman for all posterity.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
With the rescheduled Steelers game coming up in week 6, this game has "trap game" written all over it, even though it's a divisional match up. Houston had the most unforgiving schedules to lead off the season I've ever seen. And heads rolled as a result. Crennel is probably not the answer for a lot of reasons, but it looks like the players will play hard for him. And the Texans still have a lot of pieces that make them dangerous beginning with Watson and Watt. Containing Watson is always a big problem and our pass rush hasn't been great. Our third down defense is terrible by any metric. And for our O-line, Lewan's shoulder is still a problem which is not what you want to say when you're staring down a pissed off J J Watt.

That being said, the Titans are a team playing pissed off too, having been written off as a fake team by much of the league and pundits. True, defense hasn't been great but they've done enough to win right now. Offense has been playing much better. Tannehill's stats virtually match Patrick Mahomes over the last 14 games and we'll get more receivers back this week from COVID. The Bills game was an interesting contest where we largely let Josh Allen have the soft middle part of the zone and not have him pass over the top for huge plays. It looked like the strategy was to wait for him to make a mistake, which happened. The Titans now lead the league in takeaways. We went to the red zone six times in the Buffalo game and cashed in TDs every time. And of course, Derrick Henry is always dangerous, scoring twice last week, even on a down day in total yardage. And of course, finding time to posterize Josh Norman for all posterity.
Hello there, regular.

Before we go on, may I interest the Titans fans with a comment by Mike Tomlin regarding Baker Mayfield and see if it applies to Tannehill.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/10/kevin-stefanski-is-instagramming-for-baker-mayfield-says-espn-analyst.html

Personally, I think Tannehill is a more experienced Mayfield, especially when it comes to the West Coast Offense.
He's solid just as the Titans are solid as a team, but y'all been having the ball bouncing your way so far.
The first three games could have gone the other way.

As for the Bills game, I really don't know what to say other than repeating the words of a fellow poster (paraphrasing at the same time): It seems like the Bills were afraid of contacting Covid-19 or something.

And Josh Allen making mistakes without any pressure is also perplexing.

Tannehill has been lucky this year as his mistakes were nullified by either a penalty, a bad and/or inexcusable play by certain defender at various times, or just wasn't capitalized by the defense.

Players and teams can go on such a stretch like that, sometimes even longer than 4-5 games.
I hope the balance of the universe is restored so we can have a clean game with not too much luck involved (though we can certainly use some).

The Titans are quite beatable, so bring it on.
:wesmantexanfan::brando::wesmantexanfan::wesmantexanfan::fans:

wpsharpshooter

Practice Squad
Hello there, regular.

Before we go on, may I interest the Titans fans with a comment by Mike Tomlin regarding Baker Mayfield and see if it applies to Tannehill.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/10/kevin-stefanski-is-instagramming-for-baker-mayfield-says-espn-analyst.html

Personally, I think Tannehill is a more experienced Mayfield, especially when it comes to the West Coast Offense.
He's solid just as the Titans are solid as a team, but y'all been having the ball bouncing your way so far.

As for the Bills game, I really don't know what to say other than repeating the words of a fellow poster (paraphrasing at the same time): It seems like the Bills were afraid of contacting Covid-19 or something.

Tannehill has been lucky this year as his mistakes were nullified by either a penalty, a bad and/or inexcusable play by certain defender at various times, or just wasn't capitalized by the defense.

Players and teams can go on such a stretch like that, sometimes even longer than 4-5 games.
I hope the balance of the universe is restored so we can have a clean game with not too much luck involved (though we can certainly use some).

Have you seen Tannehills stats since he has been TN's starter? They are very Mahome-ish

Football is also about a little luck. Sometimes the ball has to go your way. But in other situations, you have to make your moments. In the Buffalo game, the Bills turned the ball over three times. The first was off a tipped attempted reception that was a bit off target and Malcolm Butler was there. The second INT was just Malcolm Butler reading Allen knowing where he was going to throw. And the last was a special teams opportunity creating a fumble.

Yes, there is one INT Tannehill threw that got nullified for a penalty. But overall, Tannehill has been playing smart football, putting the ball where it needs to be for the big play. The first TD reception against the Bills to AJ Brown was his first pass of the game and it was right in the bucket over the shoulder where it is supposed to be.

Yes, we could have lost the first three games.....a +6 points advantage over 3 contests. But this team under Tannehill is different than the Mariota years. If the Titans got down under Mariota, we weren't built to come back. Now, the team believes they always have a chance under Tannehill. That's a huge difference to your potential outcome.

Are the Titans beatable? Certainly. But it won't be easy. The Texans are better than their record. The Titans need a Divisional win to take command of the AFC South. The Texans need a win, period. It should be fun to watch.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Their defense isn't very different from Jacksonville's, especially in the pass rush department. Their run defense is worse than ours giving up 5.5 ypc.
Maybe. But, after watching the Titans dismantle the Bills on Tuesday, I just doubt the Texans can keep up. . .unless they get behind and Watson goes hero ball.

Texans defense does not have an answer for Henry. I would not be surprised if he's got 200+ yards from scrimmage this game, especially if the Texans continue to miss the fundamentals of gap coverage and tackling.

Henry's stiff arm of Josh Norman should give our defenders nightmares. Dude was a beast throwing around a grown man like a rag doll.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Henry outweighs most of our LBs..........it will be the DL's job to not let him get into secondary territory. The man that Henry sent flying tried to tackle him coming in from the front side which would have not allowed him to wrap. That technique, or bump or arm tackling can be expected to give him a multi-TD 150 plus yd game. With Henry, wrapping both arms around his midsection or, preferably, his legs as you hit him with your shoulder is the only way to get him down. With a smaller D player, he may not go down from the initially hit, but wrapping arms around his legs simultaneously will at least slow him down until assist can make in.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you seen Tannehills stats since he has been TN's starter? They are very Mahome-ish
Posters around these parts are so wrapped up in DW4 that they dont even bother to look at what Tannehill has done.

I said last yr Tannehill > DW4 and people laughed. Now they're in the denial/blame phase. Some have come around and as time goes on even more will come around.

Then you have some members who will never admit they were wrong and if DW4 just had this or that, he would be the greatest. We both know that's a lie.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Posters around these parts are so wrapped up in DW4 that they dont even bother to look at what Tannehill has done.

I said last yr Tannehill > DW4 and people laughed. Now they're in the denial/blame phase. Some have come around and as time goes on even more will come around.

Then you have some members who will never admit they were wrong and if DW4 just had this or that, he would be the greatest. We both know that's a lie.
Nobody is saying that Watson is the greatest.
Heck, even when his stats were at the highest, I was still reluctant to put him in the top ten. It's in a post somewhere.

Do you remember that poster from Clemson that came to the board trying to sell him as the best QB in that draft and some of us disagreed with him vehemently? Mahomes, we said.

The single thing i've been contesting is the claim that he missed underneath opportunities too often.
I'm standing firm that it was part the product of play calling and design.
What i wanted to see is (at least) the way Kelly is calling the plays right now.
More quick hits, play action from under center, roll out, moving the pocket, RPO, zone read.
All the things that play into the skill set of a mobile QB like Watson.
That's what i mean by using the Ferrari appropriately instead of asking him to pull an oxcart by standing there in the pocket too often.

Decim8

Veteran
Henry outweighs most of our LBs..........it will be the DL's job to not let him get into secondary territory. The man that Henry sent flying tried to tackle him coming in from the front side which would have not allowed him to wrap. That technique, or bump or arm tackling can be expected to give him a multi-TD 150 plus yd game. With Henry, wrapping both arms around his midsection or, preferably, his legs as you hit him with your shoulder is the only way to get him down. With a smaller D player, he may not go down from the initially hit, but wrapping arms around his legs simultaneously will at least slow him down until assist can make in.
Yup, the key is to keep your head/eyes up as you hit him in the legs with the shoulder and wrap the arms around. Norman trying to tackle high esp against Henry was just asking to be on a highlight reel lol

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Did you even see Tannehill's stats in the playoff last year that I linked to?

71 yards in the WC game anf 83 yards in the Div round.
The Titans would have lost eac of the playoffs game without Henry, the Oline, and a defense that wouldn't let the opponents score too often.

That's what Tannehill has.
You put him on BOB's team and he'd be another Hoyer or Osweiler.

Decim8

Veteran

Tannehill is playing well, there's no denying that, but you dont think its because he's in a better situation/team than watson is?

@Sevenfeet it seems to me that Henry is what drives that offense correct?