Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will Easterby and Obrien go after talent now?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Definitely not. Not even same level. I don’t get the disrespect for Clowney skill set? He is an absolute joy to watch and seems on verge of really breaking through. I don’t get it!
Without Vrabel here to coach him you're probably right. Mercilus career got off to a rocky start, I don't know why. But when Vrabel got here, Mercilus' production took a sharp uptick. Then we drafted Clowney.

I don't think I'm disrespecting Clowney's skill set though. May be exaggerating Mercilus'

badboy

Hall of Fame
So you guys don't think that a Redskins - Texans trade for disgruntled Pro Bowl players could work for both franchises?
Redskins Get:
Clowney
Kalil

Texans Get:
Williams
Peterson
2020 RD2 or RD3
It could work but IMO we can get a better deal. As I posted some time ago the Duane Brown to Seattle deal should be the starting point
Seattle will get Brown and Houston's 2018 fifth-round pick in exchange for the Seahawks' 2018 third-rounder and their 2019 second-round pick.
Also if Williams comes here [see my recent post college/off season thread] I like Davenport and Howard rotating at LG and backing up LT. Adding Kalil even if healthy in any trade scenario is ok by me.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I guess a better question might be, if the Texans are to make a serious SB run this season, would it be on the defensive prowess of Clowney or a low sack and healthy season for Watson?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I guess a better question might be, if the Texans are to make a serious SB run this season, would it be on the defensive prowess of Clowney or a low sack and healthy season for Watson?
I don't see how they can win with the current OL. At least there's a chance the defense can be good without clowney.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Keeping Watson healthy is paramount to having a successful season. Without Watson you have nothing. This is why if as reported Trent Williams is available the Texans should spend the $$$ and get him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good point. I like Clowney but defense can be very good without him. Risk to Watson with Oline as today regardless of whom starts where is very high. Trent Williams not only locks down LT for perhaps another 5 seasons but allows other pieces to be moved to strengthen entire line. I think TW is higher priority but both can be done in separate deals.

Mangler

Toro de España
All this Trent Williams talks are cute and all, but he is NOT available as he’s under contract. “Trading” for him, ESPECIALLY draft picks, is not a good idea. Not with Bill O’Brien impersonating a GM with all his newly acquired power within the organization. I’ll take my chances via the draft and whatever FA we can try to pick up.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
All this Trent Williams talks are cute and all, but he is NOT available as he’s under contract. “Trading” for him, ESPECIALLY draft picks, is not a good idea. Not with Bill O’Brien impersonating a GM with all his newly acquired power within the organization. I’ll take my chances via the draft and whatever FA we can try to pick up.
I'd trade for Trent Williams in a heartbeat. Either Clowney straight up or a 2020 pick. He's better than any OL currently on the Texans roster or what's left in FA.
Word on the street is that Willams has said he won't play for the Skins again, so he might be had for cheap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wait for the 2020 draft or FA period. It's still BO'bs show.

He can make a lot worse mistakes than Trent Williams.

Mangler

Toro de España
I'd trade for Trent Williams in a heartbeat. Either Clowney straight up or a 2020 pick. He's better than any OL currently on the Texans roster or what's left in FA.
Word on the street is that Willams has said he won't play for the Skins again, so he might be had for cheap.
Sure, but it really ain’t up to him. Once they start penalizing him on a weekly basis, as I doubt there’s anything left in his contract (guaranteed) he’ll have no choice but to show up to work to get paid. And at the end of the day all of those it’s want the money/attention. He on the be able to stay way for long. Also, who knows what is contract reads? Whatever it is, im sure it’s not so simple. There are other teams that would have already snatched him up before us if it was as easy to just sign him as a few posters here are demanding.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There are other teams that would have already snatched him up before us if it was as easy to just sign him as a few posters here are demanding.
Not arguing, just pointing out he's got two years left on his current deal. The new team doesn't have to sign him to a new contract.

Mangler

Toro de España
Not arguing, just pointing out he's got two years left on his current deal. The new team doesn't have to sign him to a new contract.
Not arguing myself, I’m just making sense of this situation. I don’t see Butt Chin trading a player like Clowney, who’s very important for our defense, and especially NOT giving up draft picks knowing his ass may be riding on this season. History says he goes conservative and Watson has his best season yet, allowing Ass Jaw to stay or another go. 9-7 will keep him here since have no GM and OB just has so much on his plate...

Boo-effin-whoo!

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sure, but it really ain’t up to him. Once they start penalizing him on a weekly basis, as I doubt there’s anything left in his contract (guaranteed) he’ll have no choice but to show up to work to get paid. And at the end of the day all of those it’s want the money/attention. He on the be able to stay way for long. Also, who knows what is contract reads? Whatever it is, im sure it’s not so simple. There are other teams that would have already snatched him up before us if it was as easy to just sign him as a few posters here are demanding.
Nobody is saying it's up to him. We (me) are saying the Texans should reach out to Washington and do what they need to do to get Williams in Houston.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He and all NFL players are available for trades. It depends only if seller will accept buyer's offer. Draft picks in round two or later of 2020 for a pro-bowl LT is exactly the correct way to go. There are no LTs remaining and we will probably end up dumping one or two of the guys we have now. I like draft also but 2020 doesn't do anything for 2019 and that's only if draft falls so we can get great players. Just me, but I would go with a proven Trent Williams next two seasons {current contract} with ability to extend than any 2020 LT in draft.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
If you trade for Williams you don't give up Clowney. It means you are serious about a Superb Owl push and you don't get rid of your best run defender. You find a way to get Trent without unloading Clowney.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If you trade for Williams you don't give up Clowney. It means you are serious about a Superb Owl push and you don't get rid of your best run defender. You find a way to get Trent without unloading Clowney.
Agree unless you get right deal for JD. Maxx Crosby next to Watt plus Trayvon Mullen and 2020 picks could do it.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'd give my 2020 2nd rounder for TW in a heartbeat. Just his presence would give the Texans a stupendous amount of flexibility on the other 4 OL positions. I'm still firmly in the "tag JD 2 years and let him walk" camp. I do not trust that knee at all, over the long term. I'm cool with signing JD to a 100 yr 5 billion dollar contract as long as guaranteed $$ is 35-40M over 2 yrs.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'd give my 2020 2nd rounder for TW in a heartbeat. Just his presence would give the Texans a stupendous amount of flexibility on the other 4 OL positions. I'm still firmly in the "tag JD 2 years and let him walk" camp. I do not trust that knee at all, over the long term. I'm cool with signing JD to a 100 yr 5 billion dollar contract as long as guaranteed $$ is 35-40M over 2 yrs.
I’d give a second for him as well.

Williams Howard Martin Rankins Henderson

That looks good

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I’d give a second for him as well.

Williams Howard Martin Rankins Henderson

That looks good
Would sure like to see Rankin take center snaps. Not a fan of Martin. Also feel Max Scharping will be the starting RT, for a long time. Henderson is just stop gap, bless him anyway, better served being swing if Texans move on from Julie’n Davenport (could be part of trade to Washington for Williams, along with 2nd.)

LT Williams, LG Howard, C Martinas Rankin, RT Zach Fulton, RT Max Scharping.

Think that unit could hunt :hunter:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Would sure like to see Rankin take center snaps. Not a fan of Martin. Also feel Max Scharping will be the starting RT, for a long time. Henderson is just stop gap, bless him anyway, better served being swing if Texans move on from Julie’n Davenport (could be part of trade to Washington for Williams, along with 2nd.)

LT Williams, LG Howard, C Martinas Rankin, RG Max Scharping, RT Seantrel Hendersen.

FIFY

Mangler

Toro de España

LT Williams, LG Howard, C Martinas Rankin, RT Zach Fulton, RT Max Scharping.

I'd trade Davenport, along with a 2020 third and fifth round pick for T. Williams! We can always get more picks using our first or second to trade down. And if we land Caserio, even better!

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
So Im guessing the raise that JJO just got was because the team needs to reach the salary cap apron? Im not against it at all I think JJO deserves it, he gets **** on alot around here, but he's still our best coverage guy. Still find it interesting how Bill OBrien distributes the money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
So Im guessing the raise that JJO just got was because the team needs to reach the salary cap apron? Im not against it at all I think JJO deserves it, he gets **** on alot around here, but he's still our best coverage guy. Still find it interesting how Bill OBrien distributes the money.
It is moved from per game roster bonus to base pay to clarify. Roster game bonus was decreased. A good move by ownership in my opinion.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037887/article/texans-give-db-johnathan-joseph-a-15m-raise

Mangler

Toro de España
Well, I guess we shall see what Butt Chin, the HC/OC/GM, is made of. Here’s his chance to impersonate Belichick, so he better not screw it up! Assuming reports of the Texans contacting Washington to see what they want in exchange are true...

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
O'Brien addresses Texans' decision-making process

With all of the speculation surrounding disgruntled Washington Pro Bowl offensive tackle Trent Williams, the Texans have been linked to him multiple times in speculation.

There have been conflicting reports on whether Williams, who is upset with his contract and medical care he's received, is available via trade.

And the Texans, who have former Pro Bowl left tackle Matt Kalil starting currently and drafted offensive tackle Tytus Howard in the first round and are playing him at left guard initially, are likely in a wait-and-see mode as they see how their blockers perform.

O'Brien was asked about how decisions on players, including Williams, are conducted. The team has no general manager after firing Brian Gaine and divides responsibilities between O'Brien and executives Matt Bazirgan, James Liipfert and Jack Easterby.

"We go in every day and sit down and meet," said O'Brien, who didn't discuss any players not on the Texans' roster. "We talk about how practice went. We talk about all the things that are going on around the league We talk about different things relative to our team, on our roster, maybe not on our roster. Everything is talked about. There's a lot o different things that go into different decisions that are made: culture fit, salary cap, money, role on the team.

"Where you have an excess of really good players, relative to where you may have a depth issue. There are probably a hundred things that are discussed relative to our decisions to do something whether with the team that currently exists or something outside of the team. We have a great structure and communication and we talk every day."

O'Brien praised the work of Kalil, who has made a healthy return so far after being sidelined last year with the Carolina Panthers.

"I think he works hard," O'Brien said. "He's very athletic. He's smart. He's played a lot of of football in the league. He has really picked up our offense well. He's doing a good job."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-camp-Day-7-recap-14273335.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

KarlK

Waterboy
O'Brien addresses Texans' decision-making process

With all of the speculation surrounding disgruntled Washington Pro Bowl offensive tackle Trent Williams, the Texans have been linked to him multiple times in speculation.

There have been conflicting reports on whether Williams, who is upset with his contract and medical care he's received, is available via trade.

And the Texans, who have former Pro Bowl left tackle Matt Kalil starting currently and drafted offensive tackle Tytus Howard in the first round and are playing him at left guard initially, are likely in a wait-and-see mode as they see how their blockers perform.

O'Brien was asked about how decisions on players, including Williams, are conducted. The team has no general manager after firing Brian Gaine and divides responsibilities between O'Brien and executives Matt Bazirgan, James Liipfert and Jack Easterby.

"We go in every day and sit down and meet," said O'Brien, who didn't discuss any players not on the Texans' roster. "We talk about how practice went. We talk about all the things that are going on around the league We talk about different things relative to our team, on our roster, maybe not on our roster. Everything is talked about. There's a lot o different things that go into different decisions that are made: culture fit, salary cap, money, role on the team.

"Where you have an excess of really good players, relative to where you may have a depth issue. There are probably a hundred things that are discussed relative to our decisions to do something whether with the team that currently exists or something outside of the team. We have a great structure and communication and we talk every day."

O'Brien praised the work of Kalil, who has made a healthy return so far after being sidelined last year with the Carolina Panthers.

"I think he works hard," O'Brien said. "He's very athletic. He's smart. He's played a lot of of football in the league. He has really picked up our offense well. He's doing a good job."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-camp-Day-7-recap-14273335.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
"The Texans have been linked to him multiple times in speculation" just means that someone, anyone in the media said something like "The Texans really could use someone like Trent Williams"....a statement that anyone with half a brain could come up with.

Where are the "reports of the Texans contacting Washington to see what they want in exchange are true"? I haven't seen them either.

badboy

Hall of Fame
"The Texans have been linked to him multiple times in speculation" just means that someone, anyone in the media said something like "The Texans really could use someone like Trent Williams"....a statement that anyone with half a brain could come up with.

Where are the "reports of the Texans contacting Washington to see what they want in exchange are true"? I haven't seen them either.
To be expecting any hints from team is optimistic as most teams don't want info out. Why build up competition? Sources like Rappaport usually chum the water before the shark is caught.

OptimisticTexan

Mangler

Toro de España
Great story!! This story could be made even better if OB has tweaked his offense enough that it takes better advantage of Watson's skill set...similar to Watson's first 7 games as a Texan. Easterby and OB can become the smartest guys in the room with a couple of solid playoff wins.
Hopefully, the addition of Carl Smith was to help him incorporate new stuff into his offense. Watson could benefit by having a WCO-ish infusion, and Carl Smith should and probably does know all about that. Hell, use some. of what they did in 2017 (like you said) and Watson should light it up! I just wonder if Devlin can adapt? Instead of shoving that “Power” scheme down everyone’s throat, put the O-line in a situation to succeed. Use a scheme that can help a weak line, like zone blocking.

OptimisticTexan

Hopefully, the addition of Carl Smith was to help him incorporate new stuff into his offense. Watson could benefit by having a WCO-ish infusion, and Carl Smith should and probably does know all about that. Hell, use some. of what they did in 2017 (like you said) and Watson should light it up! I just wonder if Devlin can adapt? Instead of shoving that “Power” scheme down everyone’s throat, put the O-line in a situation to succeed. Use a scheme that can help a weak line, like zone blocking.
BINGO!!! With the weapons this offense has brought together this season, there's no potential weaknesses from the skill positions. Play-calling and the OL will be linked at the hip in regards to the teams success. If those two components become cohesive and better....the skill positions will deliver punishment to opponents.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine

It's not just Delvin shoving down the power scheme. He is doing what his head coach wants. Bill O'Brien wants to be able to control the time of position. He's the one calling the plays. He also seems to want to prove to himself that his philosophy works. Thus the reason for abandoning what looked promising when Watson was a rookie.

OptimisticTexan

It's not just Delvin shoving down the power scheme. He is doing what his head coach wants. Bill O'Brien wants to be able to control the time of position. He's the one calling the plays. He also seems to want to prove to himself that his philosophy works. Thus the reason for abandoning what looked promising when Watson was a rookie.
Maybe, in a sense of survival OB will go back to what made his offense look the most successful for a short and brief period. Otherwise, Easterby might find himself in the position of finding a new HC.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hopefully, the addition of Carl Smith was to help him incorporate new stuff into his offense.
Hopefully they brought Carl Smith to help Watson graduate from the college game to the pro game. Help him understand what he sees, and how the called play should unfold. How to identify & utilize hot routes. How to stress & exploit a called defense's weakness.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You want the personnel to make a power blocking scheme work out, but that doesn't mean you can't use zone blocking some of the time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Now that Antonio Brown has been cut, I wonder if the Raiders would be willing to give us their Bears first round plus Max Crosby for Keke coutee?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is the "brain trust" according to McClain's new article:

"O'Brien makes the final decision on players and answers to McNair. To assist in the process, O'Brien relied on a team of executive vice president of team development Jack Easterby, senior vice president of football administration Chris Olsen, director of player personnel Matt Bazirgan, director of football information systems Russell Joyner, director of pro personnel Rob Kisiel, assistant director of pro personnel C.J. Leak and director of college scouting James Liipfert."

I count a coach, a chaplain, a cap rules accountant, a coding/data guy, and 4 scouts.

Last edited:

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Now that Antonio Brown has been cut, I wonder if the Raiders would be willing to give us their Bears first round plus Max Crosby for Keke coutee?
"Texans should pursue Antonio Brown" new thread coming in T minus 5,4,3...

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
oMg CaN u ImAgInE wE wOuLd HaVe bEsT wR cOrP iN hIsToRy!!!

I'm actually thinking about creating an AB thread. Not about getting him - more about how would O'Brien handle him vs Tomlin and Gruden.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Jack Easterby is (not so secretly) changing the Texans

Brian T. Smith
, Houston Chronicle Sep. 6, 2019

Comments

Bill O’Brien, sharing a laugh with Jack Easterby before a preseason game, first started bonding with him at the scouting combine in late February.
Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

The word that best captures these Texans, two days away from the start of a new season: Change.

The person who best represents the potential and uncertainty that come hand in hand with so much sweeping change?

Not Cal McNair, chairman and CEO. He still hasn’t held a press conference with the media, more than nine months after taking over the Texans, and a recent interview request by the Chronicle was declined.

SUBSCRIBE
Passionate but often frustrated Texans fans, meet Jack Easterby.

The most powerful voice on Kirby Drive, outside of the Texans’ above-named big two. A man who, in just five months, has brought many involved with Houston’s NFL team closer together, but has also left others within the Texans questioning his intentions and wondering how in the world a former chaplain and character coach gained this much pro football power, this fast.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/smith/article/Jack-Easterby-is-not-so-secretly-changing-the-14420507.php

Lol.

badboy

Hall of Fame
"Texans should pursue Antonio Brown" new thread coming in T minus 5,4,3...
Oh Lordy please no !

Edit but we will see him on the field we play New England. He got 15 million with a 9 million dollar signing bonus for 1 year. The guy is crazy but good on field

Last edited: