Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wildcard Round - Bills at Texans

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The Buffalo Bills roll into town to take on the Texans at 3:25 Saturday, Jan. 4. Game to be telecast ESPN/ABC. I guess we could call it Buffalo Bulls vs Houston Bulls. A lot will depend on how our injured hold-outs recover.

The Texans are a 3 to 3.5 point favorite, but to me this is a tossup. Prediction is based strictly on home field advantage. Toros 14, Willies 13.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Lol im.just being a homer. I really hope we win.
I would like nothing better than the Texans to kick the Bills ass, then turn right around and curb stomp the Ravens into feather dust. Then waste whoever gets in our way in the AFC title game and win the Super Bowl by five TDs. Although I would have a small amount of sorrow in my soul if we had to beat up on Brees and the Saints.

However, that's just not what I'm predicting. LOL

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Well, this is it. This is what we have been waiting for. This is the moment that all those games of OB's mismanagement of challenges, weak game plans, and refusal to stick with what works all finally PAY OFF! This is the moment when OB opens up the playbook and we see the wrinkles that he has kept hidden his entire tenure in Houston. Now is the time our offense clicks and stuns the NFL world. This is where the champion in Watson is unleashed. Now is the moment Hopkins' circus catches ignite our fire. This is where the determination in Watt prevails. This is where the former #1 castoffs from other teams meld together into an impenetrable defensive curtain to prove their worth. It is time for Romeo's bend but don't break philosophy to bend no longer. The blood, sweat and tears of this franchise all lead to this moment. The demons of Houston football will get excised. The era of Love ya Steel Blue will be birthed.

Where I feel good about the game: We have the potential to be an explosive offense and solid enough defense to get the job done. Buffalo doesn't score much and have only beaten one team with a winning record in Tennessee. They could be a product of a poor schedule like NE but with a slightly better overall defense. Having home field advantage is a huge relief. I do think DW gets his playoff first win as Texans QB but it'll be an ugly game becuase that's what this team is.

What I feel bad about the game: Buffalo might be a bad match up against us. We don't have a great run game, are inconsistent and these are qualities Buffalo's defense tend to do well against.

I'm glad we're in the playoffs but man the B'OB era of playoff runs have not only been losses they've been bad 2 score plus blowouts. We are ready for this team to get to the next level. I'm going to lean on the optimistic side this week and say we get the win. I want to be proven wrong about this team so badly more than anything. I'm dying to see this team have a deep playoff run. Go Texans

Mangler

Toro de España
Well, this is it. This is what we have been waiting for. This is the moment that all those games of OB's mismanagement of challenges, weak game plans, and refusal to stick with what works all finally PAY OFF! This is the moment when OB opens up the playbook and we see the wrinkles that he has kept hidden his entire tenure in Houston. Now is the time our offense clicks and stuns the NFL world. This is where the champion in Watson is unleashed. Now is the moment Hopkins' circus catches ignite our fire. This is where the determination in Watt prevails. This is where the former #1 castoffs from other teams meld together into an impenetrable defensive curtain to prove their worth. It is time for Romeo's bend but don't break philosophy to bend no longer. The blood, sweat and tears of this franchise all lead to this moment. The demons of Houston football will get excised. The era of Love ya Steel Blue will be birthed.
LMAO

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
doing some light skim work yesterday and I noticed an uncomfortable trend with Buffalo and Josh Allen in particular. Allen has played a defense rated no less than 12 over the last 6 weeks and played well. There is some jostling in terms of pure passing defense, but when I look at the last game where he faced a "bad" defense (MIA week 11) he absolutely lit them up (4 total TDs). I wonder if RAC is going to be able to pull another rabbit out of his hat. Buffalo has a suspect offensive line in terms of pass protection. Run block grades are more favorable. Geez everything I look at in terms of matchup and strength vs weakness regressions it looks like more and more that Buffalo should win this game.

Their offense is not a juggernaut by any means, add in a young QB in his first playoff game and the experience factor may come into play - BUT this is set up for the classic "game manager" situation. Buffalo has a top NFL defense. It is legit. You will have a hard time passing against them. Ed Oliver is going to feast inside especially coming home keep an eye on him. I'm not sure what Obrien has cooked up, but Im going to guess it will be a heavy dose of Carlos Hyde. It would make the most sense since that might be this teams "weakness" ranked outside the top 10 in run defense. In terms of SACKS Buffalo doesnt get home as much as some of the other top defensive units, so they rely on lockdown DBs and succeed for the most part. It will be interesting to see the T2T leader in Watson matched up with a less than stellar pass rush, OBrien wont be able to rely on "hero ball" with his receivers. He MUST scheme some wrinkles into the game plan.

I'm surprised HOU is a 3.5 point favorite honestly. If I still threw money at the wall to see what would stick, I'd be all over the UNDER in this game.

This is probably the most magnified coaching performance Bill O'Brien will have ever been in. Many Texan fans still have the INDY game fresh in their minds. I'm sure everyone learned from that right? Will O'Brien be out coached again? His playoff scoring offense is 12 points per game!!!

If the Houston Texan offense comes out slow, lethargic (the usual) this will be over by halftime. You cant expect the defense to hold. Beasley and Brown will have a big games. You have to keep up with them.

I dont even know how to take a guess on final score. Which Houston team will show up? So many question marks.

Bugman7star

All Pro
Buffalo has a winning record and its first playoff appearance in years and are already being crowned to a degree against us. That is kind of annoying. However, our inconsistent play, especially on offense is why people feel this way. I do know that for the most part we have won several games people thought we were going to lose (and lost a few we should have won). Now we see if the pressure of going home for good will motivate the players and coaches. I think people talking noise, JJ returning, and the embarrassment of last year's playoff loss will light a fire and get us a tough win on Saturday. After that who knows.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I just read Kevin Johnson might be starting at CB, replacing Wallace in the Bills secondary.

I believe the healthiest team will win this game. Both teams rested a lot of starters in their final games. I’ll be keeping an eye on the injury report this week.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
doing some light skim work yesterday and I noticed an uncomfortable trend with Buffalo and Josh Allen in particular. Allen has played a defense rated no less than 12 over the last 6 weeks and played well. There is some jostling in terms of pure passing defense, but when I look at the last game where he faced a "bad" defense (MIA week 11) he absolutely lit them up (4 total TDs). I wonder if RAC is going to be able to pull another rabbit out of his hat. Buffalo has a suspect offensive line in terms of pass protection. Run block grades are more favorable. Geez everything I look at in terms of matchup and strength vs weakness regressions it looks like more and more that Buffalo should win this game.

Their offense is not a juggernaut by any means, add in a young QB in his first playoff game and the experience factor may come into play - BUT this is set up for the classic "game manager" situation. Buffalo has a top NFL defense. It is legit. You will have a hard time passing against them. Ed Oliver is going to feast inside especially coming home keep an eye on him. I'm not sure what Obrien has cooked up, but Im going to guess it will be a heavy dose of Carlos Hyde. It would make the most sense since that might be this teams "weakness" ranked outside the top 10 in run defense. In terms of SACKS Buffalo doesnt get home as much as some of the other top defensive units, so they rely on lockdown DBs and succeed for the most part. It will be interesting to see the T2T leader in Watson matched up with a less than stellar pass rush, OBrien wont be able to rely on "hero ball" with his receivers. He MUST scheme some wrinkles into the game plan.

I'm surprised HOU is a 3.5 point favorite honestly. If I still threw money at the wall to see what would stick, I'd be all over the UNDER in this game.

This is probably the most magnified coaching performance Bill O'Brien will have ever been in. Many Texan fans still have the INDY game fresh in their minds. I'm sure everyone learned from that right? Will O'Brien be out coached again? His playoff scoring offense is 12 points per game!!!

If the Houston Texan offense comes out slow, lethargic (the usual) this will be over by halftime. You cant expect the defense to hold. Beasley and Brown will have a big games. You have to keep up with them.

I dont even know how to take a guess on final score. Which Houston team will show up? So many question marks.
I agree with that Unc because ever since the Pats game and then the Denver game dunno what to expect ? And then the W-C game from last year vs the Colts it's tough to know what these guys are going to do on game day ?
What's the story on Ed Olivers rookie year ? Top 10 pick in last years Draft but not even starting for the Bills according th the D-Cs I see ?

Uncle Rico

I agree with that Unc because ever since the Pats game and then the Denver game dunno what to expect ? And then the W-C game from last year vs the Colts it's tough to know what these guys are going to do on game day ?
What's the story on Ed Olivers rookie year ? Top 10 pick in last years Draft but not even starting for the Bills according th the D-Cs I see ?
Ed has had an up and down year. His 65 PFF grade is nothing to write home about, but to some it was to be slightly expected. Playing at UH did not necessarily pit him against the cream of the crop in offensive linemen, and he has found it a little more difficult to beat guys like he used to. He had a great game against Dallas about a month ago that showed flashes of what he can be eventually. From what I've read Oliver not starting has to do more with the guy in front of him just playing 'better'. Buffalo as a front 7 doesn't get after the QB like some other top squads. Their strength is in the secondary. I think with time Ed will be a very good interior DL and should carve out a nice career. Not sure if he will be the game changer some had envisioned (myself included) but he has enough talent to put it on display in certain situations.

I think Ed is extremely pumped to come home and play in front of friends and family and those type of guys usually leave an imprint on the game.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just read Kevin Johnson might be starting at CB, replacing Wallace in the Bills secondary.
Many of us wanted KJ to retire because of the inordinate # of his concussions and also generally his inability stay injury free and play.
If he's done better in Buffalo this year and avoided injury I'm happy for him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
That's a nice weekend of good football viewing. I'm predicting Titans, Bills, Seahawks and Saints advance.
I'm taking all the home teams, vs. the moneyline & spread.

I want to take the Titans over the Pats. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Brady lose at home. But, I just know Belichick will find a way to win in Foxboro.

Wasn't impressed with the Eagles. Until they caught fire and won 4 straight. And something was wrong with the Seahawks down the stretch. Two teams heading in the opposite directions.

The Saints are going to hammer the Vikes in the Superdome. Not for the faint of heart.

I like what McDermott is doing in Buffalo. But, he needs more talent. The best 2 players on the field (Watson and Hopkins) will be the difference. And J.J.'s mere presence will light a fire under the fans.

Uncle Rico

That’s 5 PIs and 4TDs right there.
Actually no .. Briane Gaines first move back in the fold was to go get Kevin Johnson, and the guy who was thrown away by Houston has mounted a GREAT 2019 season for that team (73.2 PFF grade). I get the nostalgia, but the coaches in Buffalo seemed to have figured out how to use him.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
PUMPED! Happy New Year Texans!

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Well said my friend...

Reactions: ROO

TexanBorn51

Veteran
This will be the first time since 92 that a Houston football team has played Buffalo in a playoff game.

Last time it was at Buffalo...this time it's in Houston...

Time to exercise an old demon to a degree.
I never forget when the Oilers were one game from the SB. They played in Buffalo in snowny cold conditions. They were leading well and appeared to have it wrapped. Buffalo came back enormously in the end and beat them. So close but yet so far away. It was named The Comeback game.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I never forget when the Oilers were one game from the SB. They played in Buffalo in snowny cold conditions. They were leading well and appeared to have it wrapped. Buffalo came back enormously in the end and beat them. So close but yet so far away. It was named The Comeback game.
Umm...except it was a Wild Card game so they were like 3 games away from the SB. Damn memory.

The Bills have only one win against a team with a winning record and that was the Titans. That being said, the Texans' offense has been crap without Fuller, and even if he plays, the chances of him finishing the game are low.

mws

Rookie
I don't know if this has already been posted but here is the wildcard schedule.

Saturday, January 04th Wild Card Weekend
4:35 PM ET
Bills at Texans - ESPN (my guide shows this on ABC in Houston)

8:15 PM ET
Titans at Patriots - CBS

Sunday, January 05th Wild Card Weekend
1:05 PM ET
Vikings at Saints - FOX

4:40 PM ET
Seahawks at Eagles - NBC

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If DW4 doesn't play much better than he has in the last month you will be correct.
Yep, everyone needs to elevate their game or they will get blown out of the playoffs like they did in 2018. They looked like they didn't even belong last year. I'm hoping they can at least avoid that embarrassment again.

But, we all know that anything is possible with the 2019 Texans. They could come out and be on fire and just blow the Bills away, or they could come out flat, let the Bills get ahead, and struggle all game to pull out a win, or they could just look lost and like they don't belong.

Anything is possible with this team, but that inconsistency at all levels is eventually going to cost them. You can't roll into Baltimore or KC with collective heads up butts and expect to win in those places.