Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wildcard game - Browns @Texans

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Browns had our number here a few weeks ago, but not many will dispute this Texans team has looked better each time they play.
Amari Cooper killed us last time, but I bet he is more closely guarded this time.
Browns are a good team but so are the Texans.
CJ was getting rid of the ball beautifully against the Dolts so I expect more of the same.
Slowik should be able to put together a nice attack and Demeco will have some better ideas on attacking Flacco.
This one is gonna be entertaining and a close go.
Go Texans!
:fans: :texan::logo::gotexans1:logo:

Like an idiot, I planned a trip a few months back for this weekend. I did not believe the Texans would win the division and host a playoff game. As a result, I will miss my first ever home playoff game. I gave my tickets to a general contractor that does a lot of work for us.

I am a thousand fools.

Big impact to have the following players against the Browns who we didn’t have the first time:
Stroud
Collins
Anderson
Cashman
Shaq Mason
Perryman
Nelson

That’s a core group of players that are part of the reason we even made it to the playoffs.

Mason and Nelson have started every game this season. The only two that have done that!

Big impact to have the following players against the Browns who we didn’t have the first time:
Stroud
Collins
Anderson
Cashman
Shaq Mason
Perryman
Nelson

That’s a core group of players that are part of the reason we even made it to the playoffs.

This, last time we didn't have anything close to our best people. We are still banged up but the biggest difference is who's firing the bullets from the pocket this time.

Well, they can't do what they did in the last meeting which is let Flacco sit comfortably in the pocket all day and play "bombs away" with Amari Cooper. Flacco was sacked zero times but he did throw two INTs. So a little pressure, any pressure on Flacco could pay dividends...

Should be an intriguing and completely different game on Saturday, a lot different than the first meeting....

Last edited:
Well, they can't do what they did in the last meeting which is let Flacco sit comfortably in the pocket all day and play "bombs away" with Amari Cooper. Flacco was sacked zero times but he did throw two INTs. So a little pressure, any pressure on Flacco could pay dividends...

Should be an intriguing and completely different game on Saturday, a lot different than the first meeting....

Setting them up for the fall :diapher:

There is something to be said for being in a rhythm vs resting.

Texans have been playing playoff must win football since the Browns embarrassed them. The Browns key players took last week off.

As we saw coming off that bye week loss to the Panthers and countless times in the past where a team got a 1st round bye or rested their starters the last week… teams can come out flat in that situation.

The Texans are banged up, but they are in rhythm playing must win playoff football. Not only that, but they have played multiple games this season that were decided on the final possession and have gained the experience that comes from those types of gritty hard fought games. That hopefully counts for something!

I just want to leave this game saying CJ won it or lost it.

Bobby Slowik doesn't need to run it 30 times for 2.7 a carry to set up Play Action passing that he doesn't even use enough of. If we can't move the ball on the ground, then please resemble the offense we saw against Cincy, TB where CJ's reigns were pulled off of him. Let the man go be great.

The dude is a killer. He will rip the Browns hearts out if you let him. So let him.

If we can't move the ball on the ground, then please resemble the offense we saw against Cincy, TB where CJ's reigns were pulled off of him. Let the man go be great.
I agree that the Texans chances rely on CJ Stroud this Saturday. Not a hot take. But the example of the Bengals game isn't the best one to complain about the run game. The Texans ran the ball for 188 yards on 34 carries in Cincinnati.

I agree that the Texans chances rely on CJ Stroud this Saturday. Not a hot take. But the example of the Bengals game isn't the best one to complain about the run game. The Texans ran the ball for 188 yards on 34 carries in Cincinnati.

If running the ball is scoring more TDs than the opponent then I am of the opinion to run the ball.

Stroud
Collins
Anderson
Cashman
Shaq Mason
Perryman
Nelson

Ummm what? The entire meme is so wrong, I don't even quite know where to start lol. People just publish any ole crapola they want these days lol.

Abandoning the run is not a winning formula and it might get CJ killed. Not saying we play the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style game either. We need a well balanced GP - yes that means some runs up the gut on first down...mixed in with PA, toss sweeps, end arounds, outside zone, et al. Mix it up, keep them off balance as much as possible...but keep feeding Devon the rock even if it's not working that well. You can't let the Browns know what's coming very often and expect CJ to make it out of the game in one piece.

Browns have arguably the best secondary in the NFL and you guys want to just forget about the run and let CJ sling it 50 times? Bad idea guys. Bad, bad idea!

Unless the Texans fall behind by more than 2 scores, you keep it balanced and try to run that rock.

Cleveland is more susceptible to running than passing. They gave up over 100yds per game this season. Run it a lot on them. It's imperative to be able to pull safety help down and soften up the passing D. Stroud can work them over, but only if they have balance. If the Texans go one dimensional with Stroud throwing all day, they're going to get smoked, even with CJ being as good as he is. This is not going to be an easy game(it's the playoffs, after all....I can hardly believe it), but it's winnable with a solid and balanced attack.

I believe the Browns fans travel well..... I'd be looking for any excuse to get out of Cleveland too.

What is truly unfathomable is that they return from whence they came
If you were around then, there was a huge exodus from Detroit/Cleveland in the late 70's/early 80's, and many landed in Houston. My girlfriend at the time was from the Cleveland area. But most did go back. Hey, I came back to Houston for the sweltering summers and the hurricanes. Just a coincidence that Houston got a NFL team, again.

Ummm what? The entire meme is so wrong, I don't even quite know where to start lol. People just publish any ole crapola they want these days lol.

Lol.

It’s a tweet not a meme.

And the only thing wrong with it is that it’s lists two players that didn’t play in the game when in fact they did - Nelson and Mason. The rest is factual that Stroud, Anderson, Cashman and others didn’t play.

You go ahead and take your time to figure out where to start. Lol.

As someone who's also a Steeler fan I LOATHE Joe Flacco. The only thing about that chump that I like was that his after they won a title, it lead him to ask for a RIDICULOUS pay day which cost them their two top receivers and they haven't won anything since. Also Watson is still their QB on paper. He stood on the sidelines refusing to play for the better part of a year THEN left for "Moe-Money" (Not to be confused with EITHER Larry or Curly Money) and to me is nothing more than a mercenary. To me Mr. Watson became "As dead as fried chicken" (if I may borrow from Jules in "Pulp Fiction") when he left us. I want to see the Browns go down if ONLY to DENY Watson and his team ANY kind of playoff success. #He'sDeadToMe

Cleveland is more susceptible to running than passing. They gave up over 100yds per game this season. Run it a lot on them. It's imperative to be able to pull safety help down and soften up the passing D. Stroud can work them over, but only if they have balance. If the Texans go one dimensional with Stroud throwing all day, they're going to get smoked, even with CJ being as good as he is. This is not going to be an easy game(it's the playoffs, after all....I can hardly believe it), but it's winnable with a solid and balanced attack.

I looked over on that Browns sideline and didn't see a big red "S" on ANYONE's chest. They can and will be beaten.

Abandoning the run is not a winning formula and it might get CJ killed. Not saying we play the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style game either. We need a well balanced GP - yes that means some runs up the gut on first down...mixed in with PA, toss sweeps, end arounds, outside zone, et al. Mix it up, keep them off balance as much as possible...but keep feeding Devon the rock even if it's not working that well. You can't let the Browns know what's coming very often and expect CJ to make it out of the game in one piece.

Browns have arguably the best secondary in the NFL and you guys want to just forget about the run and let CJ sling it 50 times? Bad idea guys. Bad, bad idea!

Unless the Texans fall behind by more than 2 scores, you keep it balanced and try to run that rock.

YOU'RE ALIVE!!!

Reasons for optimism:-
This time, CJ is back - and in sparkling form.
Two key defenders were absent last time and several defenders were moved around out of necessity.
The offense and the defense will be much better this go round.
Gonna be a hard fought, close game.
I think our boys can turn the tables this time.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone says, abandon the run. But for the love of god, abandon the run when you can't do it. And certainly don't do it on first and second down back to back. The play calling was way to conservative against the Colts. It almost costs them the game.

We averaged 4.5 yds per carry against them last time. We need to effectively run the ball again.

I don't think Stroud run fakes very well on the play action, but an effective run game will help open up the pass.

I think part of the problem was that our receivers except for Collins just were not getting separation. Collins was the only wide receiver with more than one catch. I think they had to run & the Colts knew it. Hopefully Brown and/or Woods are back this week

Nico Collins.......9-9
Dalton Schultz.....5-7
Andrew Beck........2-2
Xavier Hutchinson..1-4
Eric Saubert.......1-1
John Metchie.......1-2
Devin Singletary...1-1

The sad fact is whether we like it or not you have to have the horses to pull the wagon & against the Colts we were down to 1 horse & a couple of ponies. If I was the Browns DC I would do everything in my power to shut Collins down.

I don't think anyone says, abandon the run. But for the love of god, abandon the run when you can't do it. And certainly don't do it on first and second down back to back. The play calling was way to conservative against the Colts. It almost costs them the game.

The only times they ran the ball on both 1st and 2nd down was in the first half. It netted a 3rd and 3 (converted), 3rd and 5 (which became a 3rd and 10 with Tunsil's false start), 3rd and 2 (converted), 3rd and Goal from the 1 yard line (converted for TD).

So 3rd and short, 3rd and medium, 3rd and short, 3rd and short.

The only other time in the game when they called two consecutive running plays was on the 4th quarter TD drive when Motor got a first down on 2nd and 1 then lost 3 yards on a 1st and 10 play. Which he made up for by scoring the TD two plays later.

Maybe you were watching a different game. But running Motor on 1st and 2nd down didn't almost cost them a game.

corry all due respect, you have to understand that the Texans had a grand total of two options in the pass game, and they tossed a bomb on the very first play of the game, so no they didn’t have an ultra conservative GP. Yes there may have been a couple of times they went a little too conservative for my taste, but all in all, I thought putting up 23 on these guys with a depleted set of pass catchers should be praised, and many of our posters were bashing Bobby. Personally, outside of Kubes, I think Bobby has been our best OC in the 20 year history of this franchise.

there’s a reason two teams are interested in this guy for HC.

If you were around then, there was a huge exodus from Detroit/Cleveland in the late 70's/early 80's, and many landed in Houston. My girlfriend at the time was from the Cleveland area. But most did go back. Hey, I came back to Houston for the sweltering summers and the hurricanes. Just a coincidence that Houston got a NFL team, again.
Actually people came down to Houston in the 80s from all over the midwest: I personally came from the KCMO area - Houston was a powerful economic magnet for so many of us.

Back