Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who should Texans take @ #23?

What to do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So who Y'all got at 1-23, give me your 1st and 2nd choices.

I'll go 1st

Thomas, 2nd choice Chop Robinson

Im going with FA positional price range as a guide. What positions in Free Agency cost the most. That fifth year that comes with the first round pick could be huge for such pricey positions. LT is covered. QB is covered. WR is so deep that even though I love Thomas and Mitchel And the thought of adding the speed of Worthy is incredibly enticing I have to think about salary cap implications down the road. That leaves DE and CB. Greenards reported price is scaring me a little but he meant a lot to this team and I would rather resign him to a big (not too big) contract than Nelson. Now if Latu or Verse were to fall…. I would have to consider changing my mind. (No way I’m going with this years version of travon Walker, Chop.) I don’t see that happening so for this exercise I’m going with CB First. I’d be happy with Arnold, Koolaide or Dejean. I like Dejean the most because of his versatility. But we all know Demeco likes his Bama guys. Not that that’s a bad thing.

Round 2 I would really like to add a weapon here. I’d be happy with Wilson, Pearsall, McConkey maybe even Cowing Who reminds me of anther Tank. There’s actually a lot of guys I’d be happy with here but those are the ones that seem to fit what what Demeco said he’s looking for in a WR. Guys that can get separation. i also read somewhere that Nick is high on players that do well in the 3 cone drill. Has anyone else heard this? If so Pearsall had the 2nd best 3 cone at the combine so something to consider.

Lol after writing all that I just realized you meant top 2 choices for 23. Sorry.

Every year there are 50 guys in the 1st rd with 32 spots. Go look at 33-43 and I'm sure those guys were projected 1st rd picks
No way there are anywhere close to 50 players having a first round grade... Not even 20

Every year there are 50 guys in the 1st rd with 32 spots. Go look at 33-43 and I'm sure those guys were projected 1st rd picks
I get your point but have only seen Troy Franklin as a round one on mocks and T'Vondre Sweat who was primarily only on this message board. Sweat seems to be on a slide.

No way there are anywhere close to 50 players having a first round grade... Not even 20
I think you misunderstood me. Every year during evaluations, the talking heads place 50 guys in the 1st rd when there are only 32 spots available. I also don't buy the 15 1st rd graded players. So it's not going to be surprising to see an elite prospect at 23. It will also bang the notion to take the best player available. Nobody in their mind can tell me the Texans are evaluating qbs, yet at 23 there might be a highly rated qb or even a lt.

Reactions: JB
Murphy would throw a monkey wrench in my plans. He the one DT I would consider here. Word is Miami is not franchising Wilkinson And we’re interested. Meeko said we could throw some resources at that position. Imagine signing Wilkerson and drafting Murphy.
Yep, the foundation would be set for a great defense for yrs to come. 2 active DT's with WA on the outside with a drafted Braswell. Good things will follow.

This guy's really good.

Do you think Koolaid falls to 2-59 due to injury.

From what I understand Jones Fractures are fairly common and shouldn't greatly hinder his post recovery performance. I like Dejean more as a prospect so I hope Koolaid goes before our pick.

Just to be clear, I like DeJean as a safety. I think he's got potential to be a stud safety.

Last edited:
thoughts on Fiske in the later rounds?

he stood out in every FS game I watched. He has shorter arms but after his performances at the combine and senior bowl i can’t see that stoping a team from taking him early. I don’t see him making it to round three.

I don't think he'll make it past the 3rd
Thats what I was hoping for...that he last till our pick in the 3rd...so that would mean Edge in 1st, WR in 2nd and Fiske in 3rd, Theo J. in the 4th.

Id be happy with that draft if we could find a way to sign a CB in FA.

So that now leaves:
Saquon
Wilkens
and a CB or Lb in FA

and we would be SET!

I don't think he'll make it past the 3rd
he stood out in every FS game I watched. He has shorter arms but after his performances at the combine and senior bowl i can’t see that stoping a team from taking him early. I don’t see him making it to round three.

Fiske could be gone when we pick in the 2nd. This is a very weak front 7 draft IMO, happy we moved up to get Will Anderson last year. No issues here with his weight, just wish he was 2" shorter. That said I wouldn't be upset if we pick him at 2-59 or 3-86.

I would pick him at 2-59.

My dream draft if Thomas isn't there at 1-23 would look like this,

1-23 Latu
2-59 Fiske
3-85 Payton Wilson

Sign Wilkins in FA and draft Stiggers in rd 4, plus re-sign Nelson.

I would pick him at 2-59.

My dream draft if Thomas isn't there at 1-23 would look like this,

1-23 Latu
2-59 Fiske
3-85 Payton Wilson

Sign Wilkins in FA and draft Stiggers in rd 4, plus re-sign Nelson.
I would love Payton Wilson in round three where I used to have him but he seems to be moving up into high round two.

I don't expect to see Hopkins get to the HOF, because unlike Andre he has very little good will.
Yea that's right folks there's often lots of politics in getting to the HOF.
National media doesn't have bad words against Nuk. The mere fact that he is a hof worthy wr taken at 27 in a weak draft supposedly weak draft says something

I would love Payton Wilson in round three where I used to have him but he seems to be moving up into high round two.
I think he goes around 2-45 or 2-50. I would consider using 3-85, 4-125 and a 2025 3rd to move up and get him. I've got Wilson as a top 20 pick even with his injury history. He's a very special LB. Great athletic traits and really smart.If you like a healthy Darrius Leonard you should like this guy. Put Wilson and Harris behind a DL with WA/Fiske/Wilkins/Latu and let the fun begin. Wilson can also rush the passer very well. I realize this isn't going to happen. But another LB I really like Ced Gray or Nate Watson could happen, but while very good they're not in Wilson's class.

National media doesn't have bad words against Nuk. The mere fact that he is a hof worthy wr taken at 27 in a weak draft supposedly weak draft says something
That's all you got because I know of a 6th round pick who's a slam-dunk first ballot HOF-er ?

I'm sticking with OL until we see a top ten pass-protecting and running game on the field for a full season. Rewatch the Baltimore playoff game until you agree with me.
I want CJ to have enough time to stop and eat a ham sandwich on each of his dropbacks.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with OL until we see a top ten pass-protecting and running game on the field for a full season. Rewatch the Baltimore playoff game until you agree with me.
I want CJ to have enough time to stop and eat a ham sandwich on each of his dropbacks.
Improved Oline would likely opened up more scoring opportunities and we need it - offense only scoring 3 points in a playoff game won't cut it.
And if you can't run the ball, you better have someone to throw it to.

Brian Thomas
Terrion Arnold
Quinyon Mitchell

In that order as each will be special. If gone, trade down hopefully with Washington getting both round
2s; maybe adding a bit to our offer. Get QB top of round one and then Guyton at 23.

Cards could resolve 3 biggest needs with Harrison at 4; Wiggins or McKinstry with our 23 for their 35 and 66 then 27 get a edge like DR.

Brian Thomas
Terrion Arnold
Quinyon Mitchell

In that order as each will be special. If gone, trade down hopefully with Washington getting both round
2s; maybe adding a bit to our offer. Get QB top of round one and then Guyton at 23.

Cards could resolve 3 biggest needs with Harrison at 4; Wiggins or McKinstry with our 23 for their 35 and 66 then 27 get a edge like DR.
My order would be almost opposite of yours.

Mitchell
Arnold
DeJean
Thomas Jr
Maybe pair Johnny Newton with Collins in the middle?

Texans would be an interesting trade back option if someone wanted to jump the Cowboys for a tackle. Maybe GB or SF?

Mitchell
Arnold
DeJean
Thomas Jr

Texans would be an interesting trade back option if someone wanted to jump the Cowboys for a tackle. Maybe GB or SF?
Put Thomas Jr at the top of the list and keep the rest of the list the same.

BTW, Collins got traded to the 49ers today.

The Texans currently have 7 CBs on the roster:
Stingley
Okudah
King
Mike Ford
Ka'Dar Hollman
D'Angelo Ross
Tony Pride

It's safe to assume they will add to this group, and probably within the 1st 3 rounds. I think every CB in the draft not named Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold will be available to the Texans at some point in the draft. Could be a 25% chance that the Texans take a CB with their 1st pick, wherever that might be.

I believe both Caserio and Ryans know they have a glaring hole staring them in the face at RT. That'll be the priority if I had to guess. Can't go all defense out of the gate when the only RT hasn't been cleared to play and there isn't any depth on the roster at the position.

Last edited:
I believe both Caserio and Ryans know they have a glaring hole staring them in the face at RT. That'll be the priority if I had to guess. Can't go all defense out of the gate when the only RT hasn't been cleared to play and there isn't any depth on the roster at the position.
I've been waffling between WR or RT with 1-23. It could go either way. But a WR would be more of an impact player and an added weapon for CJ. So I've begun to look at RTs which would be available in the 2nd and there is a small handful of prospects which should be available. If we address these two with 1 and 2, then our 3 and our two 4s could swing back to defense.

Mitchell
Arnold
DeJean
Thomas Jr

Certainly it is a personal preference as my watching of the players sets my opinion. I think that Brian Thomas is going to be an amazing wide receiver. I think Terrion Arnold is going to be a very good to excellent cornerback. I also think that Quinyon Mitchell could be a bust to a franchise type cornerback. Emphasis would be towards the top and not the bottom of Mitchell's ability.

The Texans currently have 7 CBs on the roster:
Stingley
Okudah
King
Mike Ford
Ka'Dar Hollman
D'Angelo Ross
Tony Pride

It's safe to assume they will add to this group, and probably within the 1st 3 rounds. I think every CB in the draft not named Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold will be available to the Texans at some point in the draft. Could be a 25% chance that the Texans take a CB with their 1st pick, wherever that might be.
Other than Stingley, I will be shocked if any of them produce much at corner. I was a huge fan of Tony Pride until his injury and Kris Boyd looks reasonable if he's recovered from his shoulder of 2020.
Special teams for some of them may be their ticket to the NFL.

The reason for having a top 5 defense is to sack QB’s we are a top 5 with the new free agent additions. My question is, what are the GM thoughts on protecting our franchise QB from other sack machines? He survived with a patchwork OL last year however just think of what his production could be with a second extra time in the pocket. I hope the OL has been burning the weight room this off season.

I've been waffling between WR or RT with 1-23. It could go either way. But a WR would be more of an impact player and an added weapon for CJ. So I've begun to look at RTs which would be available in the 2nd and there is a small handful of prospects which should be available. If we address these two with 1 and 2, then our 3 and our two 4s could swing back to defense.

023: RT- Guyton (OK) / Give Stroud a cleaner pocket and his current weapons will excel.
059: DT- Sweat (TX) / Final piece for a rebuilt defensive front seven.
086: SS- Hicks (WA ST) / Big bodied SS who plays the run and covers very well…taking some of those expectations off Al-Shaair.
123: RB- Wright (TN) / An easy 3-down back who would pair perfectly with Mixon.
127: WR- McCaffrey (Rice) / A perfect fit for the Collins (Extended) and Dell duo. This guy will be an instant asset in the slot. If anyone wants a top WR….just ink Collins to an extension and set out on the job of finding solid assets to add.

I view this group as (5) players that would be Day 1 starters if needed. If they have time to get adjusted to the NFL by working behind a veteran…even better for the long haul.

If I wanted to put a cherry on top…..I’d trade into RD3 to select CB- Khyree Jackson (OR) to give Ryans a very nice answer to his defensive backfield.

Last edited:
I would not mind Wiggins being a Texan...Especially with all this speed at WR that's about to come into the league.

023: RT- Guyton (OK) / Give Stroud a cleaner pocket and his current weapons will excel.
086: SS- Hicks (WA ST) / Big bodied SS who plays the run and covers very well…taking some of those expectations off Al-Shaair.
127: WR- McCaffrey (Rice) / A perfect fit for the Collins (Extended) and Dell. This guy will be an instant asset in slot. If anyone wants a top WR….just ink Collins to an extension and set out on the job of finding solid assets to add.

I view this group as (5) players that would be Day 1 starters if needed. If they have time to get adjusted to the NFL by working behind a veteran…even better for the long haul.

If I wanted to put a cherry on top…..I’d trade into RD3 to select CB- Khyree Jackson (OR) to give Ryans a very nice answer to his defensive backfield.
That is a very good draft.

127: WR- McCaffrey (Rice) / A perfect fit for the Collins (Extended) and Dell. This guy will be an instant asset in slot. If anyone wants a top WR….just ink Collins to an extension and set out on the job of finding solid assets to add.

As it stands right now, that would be a great draft.

With this being a draft much deeper at WR than RT and our glaring holes at those positions...would it not be better to get a RT before WR...was thinking edge till we got Hunter...now we have DT issues after trading away collins and missing out on Armstead...and settled for Settle...could DT still be the pick at 23 if Byron is still on board??

With this being a draft much deeper at WR than RT and our glaring holes at those positions...would it not be better to get a RT before WR...was thinking edge till we got Hunter...now we have DT issues after trading away collins and missing out on Armstead...and settled for Settle...could DT still be the pick at 23 if Byron is still on board??
I like that no one has a clue which direction the Texans will go

Back