Thanks for your support!

Who should Texans take @ #23?

What to do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Time for that poll 😉
Self explanatory, but I have added a couple extra options.
If your selection is not there, mention it in your post.
If trading up or down, please include who you make the move for.
Open for 50 days and you have the option to change your vote

I lean CB or DL. I don’t think Murphy will make it out of the top 15, so I voted DeJean. But I’d be more than happy with Newton, Rakestraw, or Thomas Jr.

I’d be open to trading up or down. I’d trade up for Murphy or Quinyon Mitchell. If we traded back I’d look into Darius Robinson, Rakestraw, or even Ladd McConkey.

There’s tons of possibilities. I’m really looking forward to this draft.

Terrion Arnold but doubt he's there. I also see slight chance Odunze there. I have followed both for quite a while and think they are going to be spectacular. With neither on the board I prefer a trade down.

Arnold would be BPA from that list and give Texans quite the nice CB duo. I don’t see him getting past Indy at 15. AFC South needs to load up on DBs to cover CJ’s targets.

Terrion Arnold but doubt he's there. I also see slight chance Odunze there. I have followed both for quite a while and think they are going to be spectacular. With neither on the board I prefer a trade down.

why do you think Odunze could drop to 23?

I wouldn’t touch Chop Robinson in the first round. Where’s the production?
I’ve read somewhere DT Newton has a lisfranc injury. If so hard pass.
there are several OTs and Jackson Powers Johnson I would consider to be a good pick at 23. Latu is one I would have a hard time passing up. He’s a Top ten talent but his injury history could push him down. Could Fuaga a true RT fall to 23? I’ll be happy with any if these guys.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t touch Chop Robinson in the first round. Where’s the production?
I’ve read somewhere DT Newton has a lisfranc injury. If so hard pass.
there are several OTs and Jackson Powers Johnson I would consider to be a good pick at 23. Latu is one I would have a hard time passing up. He’s a Top ten talent but his injury history could push him down. Could Fuaga a true RT fall to 23? I’ll be happy with any if these guys.
I love Latu and would pick him if he's there at 1-23. But if the pick is Chop then Ryans signed off on the pick and I trust Ryans when he says I need player A because he fits what what my vision of what I want my defense to look like.

I love Latu and would pick him if he's there at 1-23. But if the pick is Chop then Ryans signed off on the pick and I trust Ryans when he says I need player A because he fits what what my vision of what I want my defense to look like.
If they pick an edge @ 23, I hope Turner falls. Latu would be my second choice but I'm scared of his neck issue. Verse is also a good possibility

If Odunze starts to drop there will be a team like the Chiefs that will trade up to get him. He's a star level player.
I'll be shocked if he falls out of the top 10.
It would take an injury, work ethic or character concern for that to happen and I haven't seen any evidence of those.
The only knock on him I've seen is that he's a little raw, but with his ceiling, someone is taking him high - Chicago is highly likely to take him, especially if they retain Fields.

If they pick an edge @ 23, I hope Turner falls. Latu would be my second choice but I'm scared of his neck issue. Verse is also a good possibility
After today Turner is going top 10. He's got the film to backup his testing.

Latu possibly could fall to 1-23 but I doubt it. If he's there at 1-23 then I pick him at 1-23. Love this guy. Otherwise if Ryans is on board with Chop at 1-23 then count me in.

Latu possibly could fall to 1-23 but I doubt it. If he's there at 1-23 then I pick him at 1-23. Love this guy. Otherwise if Ryans is on board with Chop at 1-23 then count me in.

More I think about it the more I think Ryans wants someone who “fits the mold” of Greenard as a power DE. Long arms, strong against the run, high effort gritty type player that does the dirty work but can still get to the QB. The best fit early is Robinson, I haven’t done enough research yet for later rounds.

But I don’t think Chop is their guy. Just doesn’t fit that mold of player.

Trade down a few spots, when a team offers extra 2nd or early 3rd. This would hit in a great area to add two starting caliber players, most likely highest need positions. With the later first pick, Texans select WR Malachi Corley Western Kentucky. Highly competitive, high ceiling, separator, thick & physical. He’s got some pipes too, that will intimidate both corners & safties. Late First, Early Second Round Grade for me by time draft rolls around. Would live in the slot and complementary receiver to Tank & Nico.
https://youtube.com/shorts/b5q0kd-fnTw?si=hEFEGPfUkhjtjcN5
With Texans two 2nds select CB, Khyree Jackson, Oregon. I’ve watched him play a lot and he’s a long, smooth cover corner with good strength to hold up vs #1’s.
With other 2nd maybe LB? More in mold of Captain DeMeco himself. There is a real buzz about North Carolina LB Cedric Gray, Texans love him.

Last edited:
More I think about it the more I think Ryans wants someone who “fits the mold” of Greenard as a power DE. Long arms, strong against the run, high effort gritty type player that does the dirty work but can still get to the QB. The best fit early is Robinson, I haven’t done enough research yet for later rounds.

But I don’t think Chop is their guy. Just doesn’t fit that mold of player.

Agreed

I'm hoping Latu falls, he would be a perfect fit.

There's a reason they've had formal interviews with Darius Robinson.

Personally I like the Iowa farm-boy corner, so I'm looking forward to his 40 time today (CB is one of those few positions where sprinting feed is very important if not critical, and he is a real fast white boy as he's knocked out a very respectable 100 (like 10.6) while he's also got the
size to play safety (>200 & 6'3").

Personally I like the Iowa farm-boy corner, so I'm looking forward to his 40 time today (CB is one of those few positions where sprinting feed is very important if not critical, and he is a real fast white boy as he's knocked out a very respectable 100 (like 10.6) while he's also got the
size to play safety (>200 & 6'3").
He’ll be doing the 40 at his Pro day. He’s recovering from a fractured fibula. But I like DeJean a lot!

Somebody mentioned “fit the mold”. With Ryans, it’s gonna be who fits the culture. And with that, we absolutely do not know.

Edit: Aw man! Did Nate Wiggins just tear his groin running that 4.29?

Somebody mentioned “fit the mold”. With Ryans, it’s gonna be who fits the culture. And with that, we absolutely do not know.

Edit: Aw man! Did Nate Wiggins just tear his groin running that 4.29?

Updates have it as a hip flexor and he hopes to be a full participant at Clemson's pro-day

He’ll be doing the 40 at his Pro day. He’s recovering from a fractured fibula. But I like DeJean a lot!
Dank didn't know he was banged up, hate to hear that since I was excited to see what kind of time he'd put down.
OK then so thanks for the info TexFan15.

Latu is so smooth. When watching him it’s hard to believe he’s 6’5” 260. If he falls to us it’s because there’s questions about his health. thats a little scary. We’ve already got one cornerstone player we invested a round one pick on that has a scary injury history,do we risk having two? especially at two key positions. Risky way of building a team.

Dank didn't know he was banged up, hate to hear that since I was excited to see what kind of time he'd put down.
OK then so thanks for the info TexFan15.
Yeah he got injured back in November but Iowa was very hush hush about his injury. The fracture wasn’t disclosed until the combine. I think he said he’ll work out either at his pro day or schedule a workout so teams can see him.

Latu is so smooth. When watching him it’s hard to believe he’s 6’5” 260. If he falls to us it’s because there’s questions about his health. thats a little scary. We’ve already got one cornerstone player we invested a round one pick on that has a scary injury history,do we risk having two? especially at two key positions. Risky way of building a team.
I certainly don't understand what you are thinking.

I look at it like they've got 6 years to win a championship so if the dr's clear him , I'm picking him at 1-23. Why? Because as uncomfortable as it may be I'm good with taking a chance on the best pass rusher in this draft. Draft Latu- and either Sweat or Fiske at 2-59 and you have the most athletic young DL in the NFL.

Just a feeling I've got is if one of the top CB's are on the board is CB that's going to be the pick. I've got no issues with this although I've got a different philosophy. Caserio and Ryans are at the beginning of building a team that can win a championship.

No risk no reward Take Mitchell, Wilson, Murphy etc.. quality players will be available so they should get a cornerstone player. The reason I hope Thomas falls to 1-23 is because in addition to him being a great talent, he scored 17 TDS with Nabers on his team. This dude and Barkley would solve a lot of the issues with the offense. Gotta find a better blocker at TE. Reihman is I guy I like if you're really committed to building a run game. Pair him with Schultz and the offense got better. I really think with Barkley and Thomas this offense would be so much better. It's going to be so much fun to see how all of this works out.

I also would like a draft that was defense that had Mitchell if he fell trade up for Wilson and add a guy like Grover Stewart. They have options on picking a FA RB.

This is what makes me a draftnik.

I certainly don't understand what you are thinking.

I look at it like they've got 6 years to win a championship so if the dr's clear him , I'm picking him at 1-23. Why? Because as uncomfortable as it may be I'm good with taking a chance on the best pass rusher in this draft. Draft Latu- and either Sweat or Fiske at 2-59 and you have the most athletic young DL in the NFL.

Just a feeling I've got is if one of the top CB's are on the board is CB that's going to be the pick. I've got no issues with this although I've got a different philosophy. Caserio and Ryans are at the beginning of building a team that can win a championship.

No risk no reward Take Mitchell, Wilson, Murphy etc.. quality players will be available so they should get a cornerstone player. The reason I hope Thomas falls to 1-23 is because in addition to him being a great talent, he scored 17 TDS with Nabers on his team. This dude and Barkley would solve a lot of the issues with the offense. Gotta find a better blocker at TE. Reihman is I guy I like if you're really committed to building a run game. Pair him with Schultz and the offense got better. I really think with Barkley and Thomas this offense would be so much better. It's going to be so much fun to see how all of this works out.

I also would like a draft that was defense that had Mitchell if he fell trade up for Wilson and add a guy like Grover Stewart. They have options on picking a FA RB.

This is what makes me a draftnik.
I don’t understand what you don’t understand. I wasn’t saying one way or the other just pointing out it’s a scary situation. And regardless of your new Over the top faith in Demeco and the team you have to acknowledge it’s a risky way to build a team. The fact that we have a four year window as you say makes it even more imperative that we it in all our draft picks.

Latu is going to be really good. I’d love to have him on this team. Just pointing out it’s risky. I’m with you on Thomas. He’s the one that if he’s there at 23 I’m not sure I could pass him up. It is a passing league now. But during this process I’ve felt this way about Mitchell, Latu, Bowers, Dejean and Arnold So…..

I don’t understand what you don’t understand. I wasn’t saying one way or the other just pointing out it’s a scary situation. And regardless of your new Over the top faith in Demeco and the team you have to acknowledge it’s a risky way to build a team. The fact that we have a four year window as you say makes it even more imperative that we it in all our draft picks.

Latu is going to be really good. I’d love to have him on this team. Just pointing out it’s risky. I’m with you on Thomas. He’s the one that if he’s there at 23 I’m not sure I could pass him up. It is a passing league now. But during this process I’ve felt this way about Mitchell, Latu, Bowers, Dejean and Arnold So…..
Some are more risk adverse than others.

Now while the window is open is the time to take risks. IMHO

But I get your line of thinking.

With the players listed I went with Byron Murphy but dont think he will be there. I would entertain trade offers as long as we arent dropping back more than 3 places and picking up an extra 1st next year...would entertain Verse and Latu w/ the drop back and look to see who is available in the 2nd for the trenches or WR.

I think Thomas is an elite prospect like Nuk was at 23 in his draft

Interesting comp. Thomas obviously had the better workout numbers. Nuk more total college production and 18 tds his final year to Thomas 17.

Nuk went to Texans at 27 in what wasn’t a great draft for WRs. Lets hope Thomas falls to 23 in a very strong WR class.

Nuk went to Texans at 27 in what wasn’t a great draft for WRs. Lets hope Thomas falls to 23 in a very strong WR class.
I dunno but where is this Draft class not strong ?
WR: you bet ! Edge talent: absolutely ! OLine - yes strong ! CB - outstanding class ! QBs oh yea boy, you know it !
This looks to be one of the strongest overall NFL Draft classes in years !

I dunno but where is this Draft class not strong ?
WR: you bet ! Edge talent: absolutely ! OLine - yes strong ! CB - outstanding class ! QBs oh yea boy, you know it !
This looks to be one of the strongest overall NFL Draft classes in years !

Yep. And 2013 was weak at the time as well as in hindsight. Top 3 picks overall: OT Eric Fischer, OT Luke Joeckel, DE Dion Jordan…

So who Y'all got at 1-23, give me your 1st and 2nd choices.

I'll go 1st

Thomas, 2nd choice Chop Robinson

Back