Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who should Caserio target as the next HC?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I believe the next best move Caserio could make is informing Lovie that he needs to hire or promote a defensive coach to the position of DC. New DC must be allowed to bring some new ideas to the Tampa 2 playbook. I'd also say the same goes for Pep in bringing in an offensive assistant with some fresh ideas for his offense. In neither situation would Lovie and Pep be completely abandoning their existing systems but merely getting an opportunity to put some fresh eyes and ideas on them.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I believe the next best move Caserio could make is informing Lovie that he needs to hire or promote a defensive coach to the position of DC. New DC must be allowed to bring some new ideas to the Tampa 2 playbook. I'd also say the same goes for Pep in bringing in an offensive assistant with some fresh ideas for his offense. In neither situation would Lovie and Pep be completely abandoning their existing systems but merely getting an opportunity to put some fresh eyes and ideas on them.
I see where you’re coming from, however, defensively we don’t have the players to effectively run Smith’s defense. Our DL isn’t good enough and our starting LBs are just bad. Hopefully Wallow and Harris develop over the season and we don’t need a complete overhaul.

Offensively, I haven’t been impressed with Pep as much. Maybe he’s a better QB coach than OC. I know we lack talent on offense but IMO the play calling has left a lot to be desired

Toro Bravo

Rookie
If the HC won't bring in DC help, then we need a new HC. This defense is terrible - AGAIN!

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yep and that's one of the reasons their franchise has always been a loser. They don't put winning 1st.

Think of it this way, if Andy Reid became available tomorrow, would the McNair's hire him?
No, because Andy would not return Gameboy's calls.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Nobody worth a damn wants to come to this dysfunctional mess with clueless ownership, and an over-controlling GM that can't let go, and players that don't want to be here. What the hell are we even talking about. Hell at this point, we might be better off going to any random high school in the area and plucking their HC and see if you catch lightening in a bottle. I'm only half-joking. This org is a total mess top to bottom and emphasis on top. Gameboy and Mama are about as clueless a duo as their exists in the world. Until the McNair's sell...which will probably happen sometime after I'm dead...they will be an under-achieving pile of stinking crap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nobody worth a damn wants to come to this dysfunctional mess with clueless ownership, and an over-controlling GM that can't let go, and players that don't want to be here. What the hell are we even talking about. Hell at this point, we might be better off going to any random high school in the area and plucking their HC and see if you catch lightening in a bottle. I'm only half-joking. This org is a total mess top to bottom and emphasis on top. Gameboy and Mama are about as clueless a duo as their exists in the world. Until the McNair's sell...which will probably happen sometime after I'm dead...they will be an under-achieving pile of stinking crap.
Over controlling GM?

There are some here that think Caserio isn't even running the draft.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Went ahead and fixed that for ya
No fix was needed "In 2021 he was, in 2022 my best guess is he was not.

If you had listened to Caserio PR immediately following RD 1 picks, you would be much better informed and known exactly how and who was making the draft picks. Nick pretty much confirmed he was only there as a the facilitator doing for the Texans coaches what he had been doing for Belichick. It was the Lovie Family & Friends Draft Show.

Anyone with half a brain knows Lovie told Cal that's the only way he would agree to be HC. And that Lovie would hire ALL of his own coaches (which he did) and have full control of the roster. (which he does) Cal couldn't agree fast enough......now you can go back to sipping the Kool Aid you're so fond of while listening to your favorite song : Whishin & Hopin" by Dusty Springfield.

Doc108

Waterboy

If you had listened to Caserio PR immediately following RD 1 picks, you would be much better informed and known exactly how and who was making the draft picks. Nick pretty much confirmed he was only there as a the facilitator doing for the Texans coaches what he had been doing for Belichick. It was the Lovie Family & Friends Draft Show.

Anyone with half a brain knows Lovie told Cal that's the only way he would agree to be HC. And that Lovie would hire ALL of his own coaches (which he did) and have full control of the roster. (which he does) Cal couldn't agree fast enough......now you can go back to sipping the Kool Aid you're so fond of while listening to your favorite song : Whishin & Hopin" by Dusty Springfield.
You can think that all you want and maybe you’re right but you don’t know you just have an overinflated sense of self.

For some reason I took the time to listen to the interview that you spoke about last time we had this conversation and it wasn’t the Rosetta Stone you seem to think it was. It was very standard PR speech. Again maybe you’re right but at best your opinion is an educated guess and I think that’s being generous.

I also have a lot of trouble putting much of any stock into the judgement of someone who has chosen to back one of the few people on planet earth who would be a worse owner than Cal McNair

badboy

Hall of Fame

Hey! Dusty Springfield and Dusty Baker perhaps we can find a Dusty for the Houston texans?
But as Elton John sang "but then again no.."

OptimisticTexan

If the Texans want to set the table for Sean Payton.....then plug as many holes as possible in 2023. By this, I'd say fix the defense with the 2023 NFL Draft and give them a season to simmer together. Payton is free to coach wherever he desires in 2024, and the Texans would still be sitting on (2) RD1 picks....only their defense could be fixed before his arrival. Payton would then have the requisite picks to do what he wishes with the offense.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If the Texans want to set the table for Sean Payton.....then plug as many holes as possible in 2023. By this, I'd say fix the defense with the 2023 NFL Draft and give them a season to simmer together. Payton is free to coach wherever he desires in 2024, and the Texans would still be sitting on (2) RD1 picks....only their defense could be fixed before his arrival. Payton would then have the requisite picks to do what he wishes with the offense.
They will also have to fix the quarterback position. No way Sean coming here with Mills at the helm. IMO. He’s also going to demand the pickings of his own coaching staff.

OptimisticTexan

They will also have to fix the quarterback position. No way Sean coming here with Mills at the helm. IMO. He’s also going to demand the pickings of his own coaching staff.
Concur with your thoughts. By the same token, he would want to select his own QB with (2) 2023 RD1 picks at his disposal. Having a defense on the cusp of being very good would also be a big plus in making the Texans job interesting. If Caserio and Sean were to be in any type of discussions….something tells me Sean would get what he wants and Caserio would agree if that’s what it would take to get his signature on a contract. Also, could be an awesome way to give ol’ Jerrah the finger.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Concur with your thoughts. By the same token, he would want to select his own QB with (2) 2023 RD1 picks at his disposal. Having a defense on the cusp of being very good would also be a big plus in making the Texans job interesting. If Caserio and Sean were to be in any type of discussions….something tells me Sean would get what he wants and Caserio would agree if that’s what it would take to get his signature on a contract. Also, could be an awesome way to give ol’ Jerrah the finger.
The Texans situation might be what some HC wants.

With the extra picks in 2023 and 2024, he has the resources to draft the players he wants.

He would also have the draft capital to add the FAs he sees fit before Nick Caserio locked in more contracts on players that the new HC may not prefer.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It doesn't matter which HC is brought in by whoever GM is. He's going to be ridiculed and wanted to be fired inside his first year here on this board. History repeats itself

Porky

Hall of Fame
What are y'all smoking? No HC anywhere near the caliber of Payton is coming here as long as the McNair's own this dumpster fire. So we're going from David Culley to Sean Payton? LMAO!!! WAY too funny!

We're Detroit south. Bad, rudderless, clueless ownership more concerned with some BS good guy culture than the only culture that matters - a winning culture. You think Payton is going to want to join that franchise? Look at the Lions for the least 30+ years to map out our future. We're going exactly nowhere with gameboy and Mama at the helm. We might as well have Jethro and Granny owning this team...we'd probably be better off and we'd have some damn good vittles to boot. Plenty of armadillo on the half shell at training camp...come and get it.

We'll be extremely lucky if we can attract an up and coming assistant. More likely, we're stuck with a never will be like Culley, a never was, or a total has been like Lovie - who thinks the word "offense" is a dirty word and should be stricken from the dictionary and plays like it's 1976.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
What are y'all smoking? No HC anywhere near the caliber of Payton is coming here as long as the McNair's own this dumpster fire. So we're going from David Culley to Sean Payton? LMAO!!! WAY too funny!

We're Detroit south. Bad, rudderless, clueless ownership more concerned with some BS good guy culture than the only culture that matters - a winning culture. You think Payton is going to want to join that franchise? Look at the Lions for the least 30+ years to map out our future. We're going exactly nowhere with gameboy and Mama at the helm. We might as well have Jethro and Granny owning this team...we'd probably be better off and we'd have some damn good vittles to boot. Plenty of armadillo on the half shell at training camp...come and get it.

We'll be extremely lucky if we can attract an up and coming assistant. More likely, we're stuck with a never will be like Culley, a never was, or a total has been like Lovie - who thinks the word "offense" is a dirty word and should be stricken from the dictionary and plays like it's 1976.
He ain’t wrong…

Reactions: JB

Texansballer74

The Marine

Money talks BS walks. If Cal opens up that fat wallet of his, you can best believe they’ll take this job.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Money talks BS walks. If Cal opens up that fat wallet of his, you can best believe they’ll take this job.
It would have to be so far above what any other organization would offer except for a first time HC maybe. As far as Payton goes, in 2024 the only way he would coach the Texans was if he had his choice of QB's AND was given an ownership share

OptimisticTexan

It would have to be so far above what any other organization would offer except for a first time HC maybe. As far as Payton goes, in 2024 the only way he would coach the Texans was if he had his choice of QB's AND was given an ownership share
Why not….nothing else has worked. 2023, build the defense. 2024, hire Payton then let him and Caserio navigate a very offensive (no pun intended) draft.

wildroot

Rookie
I like in no particular order;

Steichen and Gannon, both coordinators with the Eagles
Jerrod Mayo
Ryans
Kafka

Probably lean towards Mayo or Kafka.

Last edited: