Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, and Lamar Jackson are all guys that don't fit the "Prototypical QB" mold in some way or another that are having solid careers. If being a tall white guy with a big arm was the key to the success in the NFL, then Locker, Mallet, Bortles, Zach Wilson, Darnold, and a dozen other busts in recent years would be All-Pros.

See - there people go making it about race. Race ain’t got nothing to do with it. Most of us are wanting Caleb Williams next year. Who BTW is black.

SMH.

Some people just want to be angry and make others into racists.

Sad.

You wanted Kelly in this mock, even going so far as to say that he's the most talented QB in that draft.

pulling them receipts 🤣 🤣

Who did he use as a comparison?

On movement ability Seth Curry. People may not agree but when I watch Young he reminds me a bit on Joe Montana. I think he’s clutch, accurate, has excellent escapability and throws really well on the run. Montana wasn’t the biggest, fastest and he didn’t have the strongest arm but he had a knack for making plays. I’ve seen that in Bryce. As I said I hate Bama, I watched their games to see Bryce play BUT I wanted them to lose. I got to where I didn’t want Bryce to have the ball with any time left because more often than not he made something happen

See - there people go making it about race. Race ain’t got nothing to do with it. Most of us are wanting Caleb Williams next year. Who BTW is black.

SMH.

Some people just want to be angry and make others into racists.

Sad.
So... what you're saying is.... you want the rich white family to select Caleb Williams?

You sir are......:kitten:

Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, and Lamar Jackson are all guys that don't fit the "Prototypical QB" mold in some way or another that are having solid careers. If being a tall white guy with a big arm was the key to the success in the NFL, then Locker, Mallet, Bortles, Zach Wilson, Darnold, and a dozen other busts in recent years would be All-Pros.

How many championships have those guys won? You have to be able to throw from the pocket to win championships. It helps to be taller so you can see better. Otherwise you have to move the pocket etc... so they can see the field better and that limits the offense. It has nothing to do with being a white guy, it has to do with the style of offense that wins championships.

BTW, I'm rooting for Hurts to win a championship this yr if Burrow doesn't. Why do I think Hurts can win a championship? Because he's learned to throw better from the pocket. He's a local guy who has a great work ethic to improve this area of weakness in his game as much as he has. Kuddos to Hurts.

How many will they eventually when? Each have about a dozen more seasons to find out? Have you gone back to the future in your DeLorean to find out?

That style has never won championships before. You like betting on inside straights?

That style has never won championships before. You like betting on inside straights?
Roger Staubach was known as a scrambler.

His 5.5 ypc was even more remarkable when you take into account the fact that he was already 29 when he got his first 10-start year.

Also, in those days, QBs were treated just the same as RBs

Because the world always remains stagnant and there is never change.

Do tell us when this change is coming and how much you're willing to be that, that style will win a SB within the next 5 yrs? Hurts doesn't count because he's learned how to throw from the pocket.

It's not about being stagnant it's about doing what's necessary to win championships. You know why that style doesn't win? Because the QB's so beatup by the end of the yr, they aren't the same QB they were at the beginning of the yr. If I just had to use that style QB I would draft 2 QB's with that style to give me the best chance possible to win a championship.

Example if LJ was my QB, I would do what was necessary to draft Fields so when LJ got hurt the offense wouldn't fall off and when LJ wanteda new contract that would be a cap killer I would let him walk and start looking for the next LJ to pair with Fields.

Lol exactly. This is a different world we live in. This generation of quarterbacks are more athletic than those of the past. Defensive linemen are faster too.

Yet Brady/Stafford etc... keep on winning those darned old championships.

And the types of QB's winning championships remain the same. This is an uncomfortable truth for some.

I'm not saying a QB doesn't need to be mobile. But as much as some want run 1st QB's to win championships, that hasn't happened and wont be winning championships anytime soon.

I just dont get why some refuse to look at things and learn from history, instead of looking at things like hey, man things will eventually change. Change when and how long will it take for things to change the way some posters hope they will? I'm betting not in the next 5 yrs maybe 10.

How many championships have those guys won? You have to be able to throw from the pocket to win championships. It helps to be taller so you can see better. Otherwise you have to move the pocket etc... so they can see the field better and that limits the offense. It has nothing to do with being a white guy, it has to do with the style of offense that wins championships.

BTW, I'm rooting for Hurts to win a championship this yr if Burrow doesn't. Why do I think Hurts can win a championship? Because he's learned to throw better from the pocket. He's a local guy who has a great work ethic to improve this area of weakness in his game as much as he has. Kuddos to Hurts.
Why do you think Young can't throw from the pocket? What is wrong with a moving pocket? Isn't that what you've been screaming for post-Kubiak? Did you watch the Bama-Texas game? Young stood in the pocket to deliver big throws, he moved up in the pocket, he took hits, he escaped pressure and made downfield throws all game long. That Alabama team has no wr's that will go in the first round and no OT's that will go in the first round. But Young has carried them to just outside the CFB playoffs and if not for USC choking in the Pac-12 title game, Bama would be facing OSU (who is in the playoffs) in a big bowl game. Get over your size prejudices and watch some game film.

All that said, I hope the Texans don't take a QB this year. But I'm expecting they do and if so I hope it's Young

And the types of QB's winning championships remain the same. This is an uncomfortable truth for some.

I'm not saying a QB doesn't need to be mobile. But as much as some want run 1st QB's to win championships, that hasn't happened and wont be winning championships anytime soon.

I just dont get why some refuse to look at things and learn from history, instead of looking at things like hey, man things will eventually change. Change when and how long will it take for things to change the way some posters hope they will? I'm betting not in the next 5 yrs maybe 10.
Who says anything about run-first QB?

Why do you think Young can't throw from the pocket? What is wrong with a moving pocket? Isn't that what you've been screaming for post-Kubiak? Did you watch the Bama-Texas game? Young stood in the pocket to deliver big throws, he moved up in the pocket, he took hits, he escaped pressure and made downfield throws all game long. That Alabama team has no wr's that will go in the first round and no OT's that will go in the first round. But Young has carried them to just outside the CFB playoffs and if not for USC choking in the Pac-12 title game, Bama would be facing OSU (who is in the playoffs) in a big bowl game. Get over your size prejudices and watch some game film.

All that said, I hope the Texans don't take a QB this year. But I'm expecting they do and if so I hope it's Young

Players are bigger in the NFL, it's why midget QB's struggle to throw from the pocket. You can move the pocket some. But if that's the main staple of your offense, then you're limiting the offense you can run and with a short QB you have to move the pocket. Look at Wilson's struggles with the Broncos in a conventional offense as an example of what I'm talking about.

Players are bigger in the NFL, it's why midget QB's struggle to throw from the pocket. You can move the pocket some. But if that's the main staple of your offense, then you're limiting the offense you can run and with a short QB you have to move the pocket. Look at Wilson's struggles with the Broncos in a conventional offense as an example of what I'm talking about.
Wilson is getting old and he's been injured. Not a good combination.

McNabb didn't win a SB only because of Brady.

McNabb didn't win a SB only because of Brady.

If you say so,

I'm betting if Manning had made the SB's instead of Brady, McNabb would've still lost. McNabbhad a chance to win a SB late in the game and ended up throwing up on T.O.'s shoes. So I think you're reaching.

Do tell us when this change is coming and how much you're willing to be that, that style will win a SB within the next 5 yrs? Hurts doesn't count because he's learned how to throw from the pocket.

It's not about being stagnant it's about doing what's necessary to win championships. You know why that style doesn't win? Because the QB's so beatup by the end of the yr, they aren't the same QB they were at the beginning of the yr. If I just had to use that style QB I would draft 2 QB's with that style to give me the best chance possible to win a championship.

Example if LJ was my QB, I would do what was necessary to draft Fields so when LJ got hurt the offense wouldn't fall off and when LJ wanteda new contract that would be a cap killer I would let him walk and start looking for the next LJ to pair with Fields.
Rodgers is underrated as a scrambler, but he has a 4.9 ypc career average with 34 rushing TDs.
The guy is well known for scrambling around to buy time to throw a pass.

Wilson is struggling because he's old and washed up

Rich Gannon didn't get to start as much, but once he had 529 rushing yard in a year, when he was 35.

We're talking about 2 different things. Gannon only ran when he had too. He wasn't a run 1st QB who had run plays designed for him. I'm not talking about boots in a WC offense.

Wilson is struggling because he's old and washed up
Carrol is a genius.

Got rid of Wilson just in time if that's the case. Or he could be mismatched with Hackett running the same types of plays he ran when he had Aaron Rodgers.

Reactions: JB
If you say so,

I'm betting if Manning had made the SB's instead of Brady, McNabb would've still lost. McNabbhad a chance to win a SB late in the game and ended up throwing up on T.O.'s shoes. So I think you're reaching.

We're talking about 2 different things. Gannon only ran when he had too. He wasn't a run 1st QB who had run plays designed for him. I'm not talking about boots in a WC offense.
529 yards is a lot of running.
And again, nobody is talking about run first.
The run is always secondary to most of these guys.
Only guys like Vick and Jackson are over the top.

If you say so,

Kaepernick didn't win despite leading the offense to 31 points.

The defense (2nd in points allowed) let Flacco's Ravens score 34.

If you say so,

That's simply not true. McNabb threw up but T.O never saw it.

T.O. knows ‘for a fact’ that McNabb was out drinking

"Why would somebody lie? There were teammates that said he threw up in the huddle. Personally, I didn't see it, but there are guys, and I know there are teammates that I've talked to recently that said they saw him throw up in the huddle.”
As for why McNabb would be throwing up in the huddle during the most important game of his career, Owens says that his former Eagles teammates gave him the dirt: McNabb was out drinking the night before and was hungover during the game.

That's simply not true. McNabb threw up but T.O never saw it.

T.O. knows ‘for a fact’ that McNabb was out drinking

As for why McNabb would be throwing up in the huddle during the most important game of his career, Owens says that his former Eagles teammates gave him the dirt: McNabb was out drinking the night before and was hungover during the game.
Bottom line is for whatever reason at the most important point of his career on the worlds biggest stage McNabb threw up. LMAO, you cant make this stuff up.

Carrol is a genius.

Got rid of Wilson just in time if that's the case. Or he could be mismatched with Hackett running the same types of plays he ran when he had Aaron Rodgers.
What ever the reason, Wilson is playing much like the QB for Cleveland did last Sunday

Bryce Young only had two more carries in 12 games than Mahomes in 11 games.
The difference was the offensive line, not because Young has a tendency to take off and run.

If Mahomes wasn't mobile, they wouldn't have even beaten Tennessee. His mobility is what killed the Titans with his ability to extend plays from the pocket and outside the pocket. Vs TB, with his line in shambles, he was running for his life. There is a different from mobility and a scrambler, but people want to make sure to cast certain qbs as scrambler vs mobile. Again, Russell Wilson won a superbowl as a scrambler. Almost everything he did was off script.

Back