Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

I am not a Kyler Murray fan but setting aside his incomplete 2022 season, his NFL stats have been very good. It is up to the general manager and or head coach to surround quarterback with the players and play book to succeed. We just have a poor history of doing so.

Stats?

LMAO

He's avg at best for a midget QB.

You propose a Madden type trade and already to blame Cal if it doesn't happen? Man, you have to be joking with this fantasy stuff. Just stop it, it makes you look foolish

I just put that out there using the 49ers/Lance type trade as a talking point. If it was offered I would take the trade. I would also being very happy to stay at 1-1and pick Carter or Anderson.

Look at what the 49ers gave up for Lance as a guide.

Believe it or not, I dont blame RSfor not being able to trade out of#1. There were plenty of other reasons to blame RS for the situation the team suffered through during his 12 yrs until today. After all he should've never drafted Derrick and I said so at the time.
Did you have a crystal ball?

You never thought he would fetch 3 first rounders in a trade even without the fiasco.

I did a LITTLE research on Levis. I like the looks of him. Seems to have a lot of the Josh Allen kind of thing in him. Great size, arm strength and speed. Also seems to have an edge and toughness to him. Someone said that he probably should sit for a year. I'm not sure that I agree, but he probably should be behind a decent vet for about six games to get his feet on the ground. iMO, we go with what we have, pick up a solid vet in FA and I think Levis could be what we need. I love the idea of a Josh Allen type QB.

I think his ability to read defenses could undo all of his physical traits. He throws a lot of picks…at the CFB level. What happens when he faces NFL DC’s and personnel?

so give him a good OL we only need a RG and OC and give him a WR; that's easily done. IF he bombs we can go QB again in 2024 for such a high need position but if he is THE QB-- dang.
Some fans act like we don’t have 11 draft picks in 23 and 9 picks in 24. Not only that but through the first three rounds in 23/24, we have 9 picks. That’s 4 in the first round, 2 in the second and 3 in the third.
Badboy they have plenty of draft capital to build around Young, Stroud, or Levis. Not only that, they will have the funds to acquire top free agents. But to attract top free agents you better go get one of these exciting young quarterbacks. No top free agent coming to a team who will be scratching their firstre build and now working on rebuilding number four. Lol

Last edited:
Some fans act like we don’t have 11 draft picks in 23 and 9 picks in 24. Not only that but through the first three rounds in 23/24, we have 9 picks. That’s 4 in the first round, 2 in the second and 3 in the third.
Badboy they have plenty of draft capital to build around Young, Stroud, or Levis. Not only that, they will have the funds to acquire top free agents. But to attract top free agents you better go get one of these exciting young quarterbacks. No top free agent coming to a team who will be scratching their firstre build and now working on rebuilding number four. Lol
If the QBs were worth 1-1 I would be on board with drafting a QB, they're not IMHO. So this has nothing to do with draft capital or FA's.

No top free agent coming to a team who will be scratching their firstre build and now working on rebuilding number four. Lol

I think that technically we are on our 2nd rebuild (in 2022), which will make next year our 3rd consecutive rebuild, not our 4th. 2024 will be when we are in our 4th year of the original rebuild, or, our 4th consecutive rebuild.

Texans rebuild a lot, so it can be difficult to follow. (or watch)

Rodgers wasn't picked in the top of the 1st round. He also went to a team with an established starter, and future HOF QB on the roster. Rodgers didn't have to play. He was a luxury pick. Teams that pick at the top usually don't have that star QB, nor do they usually have a very good team otherwise. When teams pick a QB at the top of the 1st round, it isn't to sit them.
Yeah Rodgers was picked around #24 iirc. Still, he was naturally talented and who knows how much he benefitted from watching from the bench.
This is why I suggested a vet bridge - who knows how good a mentor any vet is?
Do they have to be a superstar? Not necessarily.

I think his ability to read defenses could undo all of his physical traits. He throws a lot of picks…at the CFB level. What happens when he faces NFL DC’s and personnel?
Yea I understand sometimes I'm with him sometimes not. That strong arm has also gotten him in trouble like ball placement, misses, touch, timing etc. These top QBs all have the pros/cons attached. I assume if a QB is picked they see it as the best fit for the Texans and that time. I lean more on filling the holes around the QB.

Unfortunately, if a rookie QB is taken in the top 15 picks, and sometimes anywhere in the first round, he is expected to start right away. That's one of the big reasons why so many high drafted QB's bust. They end up going to bad teams, and get ruined right away. Hell, just look at what happened to David Carr. If allowed to sit for a season or two, I think he would have been just as good, if not better than his brother.
Meh, not necessarily.
If he is not your primo pick and you bring in a vet, it is obvious you want to bring the rook along slowly - a sound and acceptably wise course.

If you bring in a vet this next season, you need a rookie to sit under him.
I am suggesting we take Will Anderson with #1 and Levis with the Browns pick.
This way we have the best player in the draft and some potential for a starting QB.
Mills stays as backup .
Okay then who would be the veteran QB choices?
Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith
Also possible player trades no?

Last edited:
Virtually any QB currently available is better than what we have.
We're not going to win more games, but improving the competency at QB might help some of the other players with their development.

I'd be fine with taking a chance on Baker or even the CFL player that @Lucky mentioned.
I think horrendous QB play is hindering other positions
A vet who can recognize what the defense is trying to do is a good start and has knowledge to share with his other QBs

I did a LITTLE research on Levis. I like the looks of him. Seems to have a lot of the Josh Allen kind of thing in him. Great size, arm strength and speed. Also seems to have an edge and toughness to him. Someone said that he probably should sit for a year. I'm not sure that I agree, but he probably should be behind a decent vet for about six games to get his feet on the ground. iMO, we go with what we have, pick up a solid vet in FA and I think Levis could be what we need. I love the idea of a Josh Allen type QB.
If you intend to start a rookie early in a season, I would prefer he gets a LOT of snaps with the firsts in the preseason. Either way, the vet, the rookie and the Oline all come up short.

You never thought he would fetch 3 first rounders in a trade even without the fiasco.
What was the fiasco?
Not gonna find Teams get that stupid very often... and two QB's had just went 1-2 so 49ers panicked
The Niners knew that Lawrence and Wilson were going 1-2 when they made the deal. No one knew if it was for Lance or Mac Jones. But everyone knew it was going to be a QB.
Levis is not a plug & play QB. The team drafting Levis knows there will be a lot of development. That goes for pretty much all the QBs in this draft. In a perfect world, I'd sit Young & Stroud for a year, as well. I think Young needs a year in an NFL weight room. It did wonders for Brady.

Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith
Wouldn't it be a full circle thing if we end up with Teddy Bridgewater...

What was the fiasco?

The Niners knew that Lawrence and Wilson were going 1-2 when they made the deal. No one knew if it was for Lance or Mac Jones. But everyone knew it was going to be a QB.

Levis is not a plug & play QB. The team drafting Levis knows there will be a lot of development. That goes for pretty much all the QBs in this draft. In a perfect world, I'd sit Young & Stroud for a year, as well. I think Young needs a year in an NFL weight room. It did wonders for Brady.
Brady is less mobile but also about 5" taller.

What was the fiasco?

The fiasco was the lawsuits.

Steelb never thought much of Watson.
Surely his crystal supposedly told him that Watson would never fetch 3 first rounders in any scenario, that Watson was to become either a bust or a meh QB like Baker Mayfield.

Nathan Rourke, starting QB for the British Columbia Lions of the CFL is making the rounds interviewing with NFL teams. Has met with the Raiders and Broncos. The native Canadian is 24 and in his 2nd year in the CFL. A 3 year starter at Ohio University from 2017-19, Rourke is 6'1 215 lbs and an excellent athlete. Threw for over 3300 yards, 25 TDs passing and 7 rushing in 9 starts this season before a foot injury ended his season.

Young, experienced pro QB. Wouldn't cost a draft pick or a big investment. Could be a bridge for a future QB. Rourke runs 50 yards for a score at 1:30 in the video below.

That is interesting.

Brady was a string bean when he came into the league. By his 2nd year, he looked the part of an NFL QB. I think Young needs more physical development, also. But no, you can't teach height.
Can you teach and prepare for that lack of height?

Yes and I am not anticipating anything In this off season that attracts free agents as the draft is not until April. Plus there are just not that many FAs I'm interested in for the future. Even if we were to keep Davis Mills or if Allen had somehow worked, we were still going to have to improve certain positions to solidify our quarterback position. I recognize our defense but I'm not so adamant about fixing that until 2024. Defenses win But offense and scoring gets people's attention so why not focus on that as nobody expects us to go to the playoffs in 2023? I am not saying completely ignore the defense but focus on protecting whoever the quarterback is and putting fans back on your side.

Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith
If it Had to be one of those listed, for me it would be Gino Smith but not at the 30 million that he is going to sign for. If we could get him for 20 ish I'm all in .

Brady was a string bean when he came into the league. By his 2nd year, he looked the part of an NFL QB. I think Young needs more physical development, also. But no, you can't teach height.
I also think Brady was a 5th/6th round draft pick no? I may be incorrect

Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith

I’d sign Brissett and……Case Keenum. Brissett would be a moderate investment and Keenum probably very, very reasonable. Brissett, Keenum, and Mills lineup and compete for the QB1 job in 2023. I’m only adding CK because he’s a coaches son and may have that knack to help whoever the starter is. I wouldn’t mind seeing CK get some booth time….mostly for feedback.

Last edited:
Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith
This is only a partial list and will change due to franchise tags and teams re-signing their own players. For a list of all prospective free agent quarterbacks you can look here

Meh, not necessarily.
If he is not your primo pick and you bring in a vet, it is obvious you want to bring the rook along slowly - a sound and acceptably wise course.
If he is not a primo pick, I'm not drafting him in the first round. I don't think there is a primo QB in this draft, so I don't want to draft a QB in the 1st round. I don't think any of these QB's are as good as Mahomes or WD-40 were when they were drafted, and they fell to the #10 and #12 picks. If Bryce was the size of WD-40, I would consider him in the top 15. He's not, so I wouldn't. Bryce doesn't have the arm talent of either of those guys, so again I wouldn't take him in the top 15. If he was bigger, he might have a stronger arm, but he's small, and doesn't, so no.

If he is not a primo pick, I'm not drafting him in the first round. I don't think there is a primo QB in this draft, so I don't want to draft a QB in the 1st round. I don't think any of these QB's are as good as Mahomes or WD-40 were when they were drafted, and they fell to the #10 and #12 picks. If Bryce was the size of WD-40, I would consider him in the top 15. He's not, so I wouldn't. Bryce doesn't have the arm talent of either of those guys, so again I wouldn't take him in the top 15. If he was bigger, he might have a stronger arm, but he's small, and doesn't, so no.
WD-40?

Free agents 2023
Tom Brady
Jimmy Garoppolo
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Bissett
Joe Flaco
Taylor Heinicke
Case Keenum
Daniel Jones
Lamar Jackson
Geno Smith
I'd like Smith or Heinicke, assuming a QB is drafted. They're capable, but not great. Brady won't want any part of Houston and Jackson will be signed or tagged.

Did anyone thinl Mahomes would be Mahomes when he was drafted? I didn't see anyone say , I dodn't see a Mahomes in this draft class he year after he was drafted.. If I go pull receipts, nevermind.

Probably the same thing that happens to 99% of rookie QBs the first few times they get on the field. Look at Elway in his debut, he played the first half and was 1/8 for 14 yds, sacked 4 times for 26 yds in losses, fumbled away the ball once, intercepted once and was called once for intentional grounding. And he's in the HOF. Some of these guys come in as a sponge, they want to learn and improve. Some do and some don't. That's the million $ question.

Is there a primo pick at 1.1? I don't like any of them at that pic and was hoping for at least one trade down Involving that pic. Thanksgiving when I question a buddy he hesitated for a while and finally said Myles Murphy with a? I said that would be my Guy also but Reluctantly.

Back