Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What moves would you make to right this mess?

Like Ricky McNair can do these things.

Manning knows talent and he/his family know the best scouts in the NFL. He can hire a cap guy like Bob/Ricky McNair did with Olsen.

The best scouts? Really? 32 NFL teams would disagree.

Also, this assumption that he knows something because he has played in the NFL is just that. An assumption.

Cal McNair looks hungry to win and he has a lot of fire in his belly. I'm actually looking forward to when he becomes the full-time owner of the Houston Texans. I think he'll do a lot better job than Bob McNair. I think under Cal's ownership this franchise will finally win a Super Bowl or two.

Cal McNair looks hungry to win and he has a lot of fire in his belly. I'm actually looking forward to when he becomes the full-time owner of the Houston Texans. I think he'll do a lot better job than Bob McNair. I think under Cal's ownership this franchise will finally win a Super Bowl or two.

I think what your seeing is , he was hungry so he ate a bag of flaming hot cheetos .

ded9103a-8485-4578-9b05-62d0dd8284e8_1.befbfe10d0ba9ae2c56d3ebfd7e56811.jpeg

Last edited:
The best scouts? Really? 32 NFL teams would disagree.

Also, this assumption that he knows something because he has played in the NFL is just that. An assumption.

And an assumption that he would know scouts and players because between his dad, brother and himself they have 50 years of NFL football experience. They also run a yearly Manning football Academy. So yes, I would trust them to run my team if I was an owner.

And an assumption that he would know scouts and players because between his dad, brother and himself they have 50 years of NFL football experience. They also run a yearly Manning football Academy. So yes, I would trust them to run my team if I was an owner.

If you are using his dad and Eli as references for his hiring you already lost the argument. His dad or Eli won't be running the team or making decisions. Is he supposed to be calling them for advice?

Once again, all you are working off of are assumptions that he knows something about running an NFL team because he could throw a ball, his dad was an NFL QB, his brother is, and he runs a QB camp. Plus a few Papa Johns franchises. Not a resounding resume to me for the job.

I am not looking for someone to use my team as a way to get his feet wet and learn on the job.

Why would Peyton have had any significant contacts with scouts?

If you are using his dad and Eli as references for his hiring you already lost the argument. His dad or Eli won't be running the team or making decisions. Is he supposed to be calling them for advice?

Once again, all you are working off of are assumptions that he knows something about running an NFL team because he could throw a ball, his dad was an NFL QB, his brother is, and he runs a QB camp. Plus a few Papa Johns franchises. Not a resounding resume to me for the job.

I am not looking for someone to use my team as a way to get his feet wet and learn on the job.

Not a big fan of Peyton but you gotta admit football is in his blood. Hard to imagine that he could do worse than present.

Elway was able to make the transition and I am confident Manning could too.

You don't and I can see why you would feel that way. We just disagree on this.

Hardworking intelligent people are usually great at whatever field they choose to enter. Manning certainly qualifies in both of these areas.

Why would Peyton have had any significant contacts with scouts?

The qb camps. Archie is in with the Saints scouts. Peyton was in with the Indy scouts. Even if I am wrong, you don't think Peyton couldn't pick up the phone and get Sage advice from Polian?

Reactions: ROO
Not a big fan of Peyton but you gotta admit football is in his blood. Hard to imagine that he could do worse than present.

Excluding the results of this year we have been for the most part average 8-8 and 9-7. I don't want to know what's it like to be under those results for an extended period of time. Like Detroit under Matt Millen.

Unless you can talk Jake Long or Vollmer out of retirement I don't see much help there... if you feel ok moving Martin to LG maybe Mangold but I think he's asking for too much money/years
Might have to ask my brother to track down vollmer. They had some class at u of h together and apparently vollmer was flipping out before the exam trying to decide whether to fail the course or pass it because he was about to graduate and his visa would expire. I guess they talked about it for a long time.

"Hey man, when you had a problem. I helped you decide what to do... can you protect our QB?" That works, right?

Reactions: JB

Are you serious? :dontknowa

j/k I know it was :sarcasm: wasn't it?

Elway was able to make the transition and I am confident Manning could too.

You don't and I can see why you would feel that way. We just disagree on this.

Hardworking intelligent people are usually great at whatever field they choose to enter. Manning certainly qualifies in both of these areas.
Outside of FAs Elway has been atrocious as a GM. People wanna slam Ricks draft history, peep ol' Johns

Outside of FAs Elway has been atrocious as a GM. People wanna slam Ricks draft history, peep ol' Johns

Vonn Miller Roby/Ray were good picks

Shaq Barrett/Derek Wolfe/ Sylvester Williams/ 6th rd Trevathan/Malik Jackson

Paradis/Garcia/Virgil Green/Huermann/Julius Thomas

Jordan Taylor and Benny Fowler / Semien/Lynch (Busty)

I really like last yrs class Bolles LT they needed and he's going to be good,

Elway also supplements his team in FA like OL Leary/Watson, DB's Talib/Ward

So I would say he has done a really good job, much better than Ricky.

Discuss?

Discuss?

I think he started in a much better position than Ricky, and he's certainly a stronger GM. He's had his hits and misses like all GM's.

But yeah he's had better results.... so have most of the others in the league

I haven't seen anything saying he doesn't want to play in Houston.

Rumor is he wants his contract guaranteed - none of the remaining money is at this point. I suspect what he wants is a couple years added

Action speaks LOUDER than words. Holding out until week 7 speaks great volumes.

Vonn Miller Roby/Ray were good picks

Shaq Barrett/Derek Wolfe/ Sylvester Williams/ 6th rd Trevathan/Malik Jackson

Paradis/Garcia/Virgil Green/Huermann/Julius Thomas

Jordan Taylor and Benny Fowler / Semien/Lynch (Busty)

I really like last yrs class Bolles LT they needed and he's going to be good,

Elway also supplements his team in FA like OL Leary/Watson, DB's Talib/Ward

Discuss?
How has he been rounds 1-3?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scout....s-NFL-Draft-History-For-The-Denv-74921953/Amp

Manning could be a great GM based on his football background, willingness to put in the work to be successful, holds others around him accountable for the team's success and his desire to be a winner should never be questioned.

But...that's nice words on a resume and bumping him to the front of the line for the GM position would be a big mistake. As I stated in a prior post, if the McNair was to have any real interest in hiring Manning, he'd be wise to first hire him as an Assistant GM and then extend a contract offer to Bill Polian to come in and mentor Manning on a 3 year contract. I believe Polian would have some interest in doing this since it would involve Manning. I also think Polian may be the only one who could let McNair know that he (McNair) owns the team and the checkbook but he (Polian) makes the football based decisions. If anything this would set the table for the future relationship between Manning and Cal.

I do believe that this type of move should be done with the utmost urgency. Why? If Bob passes or becomes too incapacitated to continue his ownership, I just don't think Cal will ever have the gumption to fire RS...which means the Texans could be stuck with RS until he -"HE"- determines it is time to move on to greener pastures. This will not be a favorable outcome for this organization.

Ok, that is primary move number one. Next, identifying a new HC that would consider keeping the existing defensive staff on board and knowing an OC who could work with creating a playbook that would be favorable to Watson's talent. I would really trust Polian and Manning to make something like this happen.

In reality, the team is doomed by their cap management. It may seem that there is some wiggle room but with certain Texans FA's to be in 2018 and 2019....that cap could be gone. 2018 lacks 2 early round picks that usually represent (supposed to at least) sure Day 1 starters and that means RS will be working his way through the 2018 NFL Draft in the very area he's at his absolute weakest RD4 thru RD7. He will have a RD3 and more than likely the first COMP pick in RD3. He will probably get 2 more COMP picks in the RD6. Picking up a couple quality FA may be out of the question if retaining upcoming FA's are of any value. This could force the team into a reality check that they may have to wait until the 2019 NFL Draft to get immediate answers to holes that could more than likely still be plaguing the offense. RS could get desperate and try the "rob Peter to pay Paul" method of covering his bad moves by trading away the teams third round picks and 2019 RD1 pick to move into RD1 in order to save face....if 2017 finishes completely in the dumpster.

If RS is pushed out or up by some unforeseen good fortune, Texans might be wise to start over and become sellers. I would ask Watt if he has it him to stay around for the rebuild or would he favor moving to an organization that has some real chance of playing in a SB before he retires or injuries force him to retire. The team would run an ugly organization out there but it couldn't be any uglier than the current team but it would be a lot cheaper to be awful. It'll take a couple of seasons to eat up the dead money hits and contracts but by 2020 the team should be re-surfacing due to much better drafts in 2018, 2019 and 2020 and better cap management. Building a winner isn't easy but it isn't insurmountable either....with the right team in place.

Last edited:
All because he's been apart of the NFL community doesn't mean he would be a great GM.

I agree and that's not why I would hire him.

He's smart hardworking, obsessive about winning in addition to having been a NFL lifer.

I would bet on Manning in a heartbeat. To win big you have to be a risk taker. (Something the Texans org wont be willing to do.) I get why you dont feel the same way. It's just a difference in personalities.

Last edited:
I agree and that's not why I would hire him.

He's smart hardworking, obsessive about winning in addition to having been a NFL lifer.

I would bet on Manning in a heartbeat. To win big you have to be a risk taker. (Something the Texans org wont be willing to do.) I get why you dont feel the same way. It's just a difference in personalities.

To be fair, the Texans took a big risk on hiring OB. They signed Osweiler. Big risk. Gave two 2nd round picks to get someone else's backup QB and anoint them the starter. Big risk. Made a UDFA/PS RB their starter. Big risk. Traded draft picks to move up for the potential QBOTF. Huge risk. Two of these worked out. One clearly didn't. Two others are TBD at this point.

The Texans have been taking risks. Maybe just not the ones you want them to take. And that is fair. There are certainly decisions made (or not made) by this team that each of us can say we agreed with or didn't.

But just because one does not think Manning is qualified for the job right now at this particular time doesn't mean that they think Rick is the most awesome GM to ever grace the planet or that we are "content with being mediocre" as you like to dish out. The two thoughts are mutually exclusive of each other. I can want Rick gone and not want Manning as a GM.

Is it just me or does it seem like the Texans are in disaster conditions but are acting like all's well? Shouldn't they be working out tons of people (o-line, receivers, d-backfield) desperately trying to find a few guys to strengthen the crappiest parts of the team? I mean, what's with that? I know they've some TEs in, but almost nobody for the Oline and they signed somebody for the d-backfield, but are they doing enough? Or are they just content to waddle along down the losing path?

Well with this offense being what it is and Obrien insisting and demanding that an offensive coordinator not be hired and not needed despite how pitiful the offense was last year, then maybe Smith and McNair are just sitting back and watching this cluster and patiently waiting for the right conditions to develop so that they can give Obrien the pink slip. I really do think that there must be some very serious issues going on between the three.

Eventually, every desperate fan base mentions Manning as a potential GM or personnel guy. They always make the Elway comparisons while forgetting Elway had experience with personnel and football operations before becoming the Broncos GM.

Elway was an owner of an arena football team and was responsible for its day to day operations. Before becoming GM, he was the Broncos VP of football operations. Besides making goofy commercials, since retiring, what has Manning done that would lead anyone to believe McNair should hire him as a GM?

IMHO, I don't think we are at the point where we have to hire an inexperienced Manning and expect him to be some personnel guru.

Eventually, every desperate fan base mentions Manning as a potential GM or personnel guy. They always make the Elway comparisons while forgetting Elway had experience with personnel and football operations before becoming the Broncos GM.

Elway was an owner of an arena football team and was responsible for its day to day operations. Before becoming GM, he was the Broncos VP of football operations. Besides making goofy commercials, since retiring, what has Manning done that would lead anyone to believe McNair should hire him as a GM?

IMHO, I don't think we are at the point where we have to hire an inexperienced Manning and expect him to be some personnel guru.

To be fair, the Texans took a big risk on hiring OB. They signed Osweiler. Big risk. Gave two 2nd round picks to get someone else's backup QB and anoint them the starter. Big risk. Made a UDFA/PS RB their starter. Big risk. Traded draft picks to move up for the potential QBOTF. Huge risk. Two of these worked out. One clearly didn't. Two others are TBD at this point.

The Texans have been taking risks. Maybe just not the ones you want them to take. And that is fair. There are certainly decisions made (or not made) by this team that each of us can say we agreed with or didn't.

But just because one does not think Manning is qualified for the job right now at this particular time doesn't mean that they think Rick is the most awesome GM to ever grace the planet or that we are "content with being mediocre" as you like to dish out. The two thoughts are mutually exclusive of each other. I can want Rick gone and not want Manning as a GM.

Until they change the types of risks they are taking you can expect more of the same. As far as Manning goes I can see why posters disagree with me. You can want anything you like. So can I, What we like or dont like isn't going to change anything in the Texans org as long as the team is making $$$$.

Is it just me or does it seem like the Texans are in disaster conditions but are acting like all's well? Shouldn't they be working out tons of people (o-line, receivers, d-backfield) desperately trying to find a few guys to strengthen the crappiest parts of the team? I mean, what's with that? I know they've some TEs in, but almost nobody for the Oline and they signed somebody for the d-backfield, but are they doing enough? Or are they just content to waddle along down the losing path?

Yes, they are content.

# Another brick Ricky puts in the wall of getting rid of BOB.

Well with this offense being what it is and Obrien insisting and demanding that an offensive coordinator not be hired and not needed despite how pitiful the offense was last year, then maybe Smith and McNair are just sitting back and watching this cluster and patiently waiting for the right conditions to develop so that they can give Obrien the pink slip. I really do think that there must be some very serious issues going on between the three.

Where did you here BOB didn't want to hire an OC?

I heard that Ricky insisted BOB become OC so when the offense failed BOB would have to own it. (Regardless of the lack of talent on the offense or having another QB forced on him)

Trade brown. You should get at least a second for him and perhaps a first or a second and a third.

In fact, try to move a couple of players and absorb everything you can this season. If you can cut fish, do it. Use those two spots to go find some talent people are stashing on their practice squad.

I'm not saying you tank the season, but this isn't a SB year for us... So cut any fat you can. (Bye strong)

Bring Sweden back and sit Watson so you don't get him killed, let him run with the 1s.

Manning owns a bunch of Domino's Pizza franchises. He knows a lot of guys that can run really fast.
:brando:

On a more serious note, the Colts owner was reported to have offered him the top job in football ( same as Elway's position with the Broncos).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2017/06/if_peyton_manning_decides_to_o.amp

Last edited:
Until they change the types of risks they are taking you can expect more of the same. As far as Manning goes I can see why posters disagree with me. You can want anything you like. So can I, What we like or dont like isn't going to change anything in the Texans org as long as the team is making $$$$.

The first sentence is kind of odd. I agree with managing risk, but I think they did a pretty good job.

Check out this cryptically titled thread.

Manning owns a bunch of Domino's Pizza franchises. He knows a lot of guys that can run really fast.
:brando:

On a more serious note, the Colts owner was reported to have offered him the top job in football ( same as Elway's position with the Broncos).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2017/06/if_peyton_manning_decides_to_o.amp
He owns 21 Papa Johns in Denver.

"When the time comes, he will pick the situation, not the other way around.

Is there any doubt that Manning will be wildly successful as an NFL owner or general manager? He owns all of the qualities you look for in a successful executive: intelligence; passion; business savvy; people skills. His knowledge of the game is rivaled only by his legendary work ethic and impeccable leadership ability.

Indeed, if there's one thing Manning is better suited to do than quarterback an NFL team, it's to run one."

Is there any doubt that Manning will be wildly successful as an NFL owner or general manager? He owns all of the qualities you look for in a successful executive: intelligence; passion; business savvy; people skills. His knowledge of the game is rivaled only by his legendary work ethic and impeccable leadership ability.

Indeed, if there's one thing Manning is better suited to do than quarterback an NFL team, it's to run one."
Pass... I mean it isn't like we missed out on anything last time we didn' pursue him...

Where did you here BOB didn't want to hire an OC?

I heard that Ricky insisted BOB become OC so when the offense failed BOB would have to own it. (Regardless of the lack of talent on the offense or having another QB forced on him)

Where did you hear Smith insisted O'Brien become the OC?

why are you putting your opinions in quotes?

Off topic

Do you guys see the great play calling in the Rams vs 49ers game. Wow just beautiful.

You stole my thunder....O'Brien was probably working on his Patriots gameplan when the very best thing he could've been using that time on was watching the Rams / 49's game and how 2 young HC's have lit a fire under their offenses. The Rams would be pretty special if they had the Texans defense plus Donald incorporated with that offense. The slant passes Goff was hitting last night were awesome.

The RS and O'Brien should be ashamed that the Rams have built a better offense in the first season of the their new coaching staff, than the Texans have starting O'Brien's 4th season.

You stole my thunder....O'Brien was probably working on his Patriots gameplan when the very best thing he could've been using that time on was watching the Rams / 49's game and how 2 young HC's have lit a fire under their offenses. The Rams would be pretty special if they had the Texans defense plus Donald incorporated with that offense. The slant passes Goff was hitting last night were awesome.

The RS and O'Brien should be ashamed that the Rams have built a better offense in the first season of the their new coaching staff, than the Texans have starting O'Brien's 4th season.

OptimisticTexan I couldn't wait for both teams offenses to get the ball back. The creativity from both OC's were a thing of beauty. I was pulling for them to get onto overtime. Lol

Man Bill O'Brien is too stubborn to even consider throwing in some of those creative play callings.

Last edited:
Back