Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What moves would you make to right this mess?

I don't read all your posts nor remember everything that was written or keep track of who was first. If you were, then here is a golf clap. I don't have sigs activated because i try not to take in too many useless details.

Lynch had been mentored by Elway prior to joining San Fran. Elway had experience with the Crush, and was mentored by the existing GM of Denver when coming on board. Peyton still needs to do this. Elway, with all his experience asked Bowlen for this before coming on board.

Peyton is a pipe dream because he will go back to Indy, NOLA, or somewhere else. Not here.

I may be under estimating Peyton with his great up bringing and 40 years of experience around the NFL, but running the FO is vastly different than running an offense.
This you know because you have run how many NFL FOs?

<<<See my new avatar, just hired him as my new Vice President of Football Operations & General Manager. So now I'm off to the Caribbean to spend the Fall and Winter on the yacht.

I'm all for bringing in manning, but I'd make him head coach before I'd hire him as GM.

Reactions: ROO
This you know because you have run how many NFL FOs?

And yet somehow you are suggesting who to hire for the FO...

8d29ba246a235a2ad809deebee7c9ad4.gif

yeah im not getting paied to do rick smiths job

hopefully he figures something out I would extend brown tho ....

Lets just get a young stud tackle in the 3rd round hopefully we can find him

Realistically, I'm guessing nothing can be done. Texans is a closed shop and only listens to itself, its people. Rick Smith is not going to fire Rick Smith. And McNair is not going to fire Rick Smith (how would THAT look?). And the "Cal" person is sort of the family version of Fatboy Pancakes (the "reporter"). They all love having a NF&L franchise to play with and not one of them has any clue how (or why) to build a winning club.

You can't "fix" this mess without getting rid of Smith and O'Brien (and probably a lot of other folks) and I can't think of any way to pressure McNair to make a move. And apparently McNair don't read or can't be persuaded by careful, thoughtful, documented argument from the outside. Or, maybe McNair don't give a hoot, a kind of What? Me worry? thing when he's got bigger wounds to tend.

We need an activist GM scouring the hundred of available players at positions where we need help.

We need a coach with a bigger brain and a smaller ego.

We need an offensive coordinator like Little Shanny or similar, somebody who plans and designs and calls with imagination and (forgive me) creativity.

We need somebody to explain all this to McNair and persuade him to do something about this mess we're in.

I can assure you two of this and you can take it to the bank, I could do a much much better job of being the Texans GM than the travesty that you now have occupying the Kirby Boardroom.

That only means you're breathing air

Reactions: ROO
A lot of long term fix'n going on here, & that's fine. You've all brought up some good ideas & I'd be preparing to act on some of them when the season is over... actually, I'd fire my GM now & let Jimmy Raye III be my mouth piece through the end of the year.

Until then, I'm putting Romeo back on the sideline as my DC. I'd fire Mike Devlin & pay Vrabel 3x his current pay to whip that OL into shape.

Then we're going to run the ball. We're going to run to the A-gap. We're going to run up the B-gap. We're going to run off tackle.

My RBs are going to learn how to bounce outside, inside, both sides. & we're going to pitch the ball to get them on the edges. & while I appreciate north south running, I'll instruct my RBs to find a line & stick to it, even if it's 45 degrees, get to the sideline, then turn it up.

& as soon as I get defenders cheating away from the middle of the field, I'll run combo routes to move the safety out & bring a slot receiver, TE, or fullback in for a dump off they can run up the seam.

But it's absolutely imperative we get the run game going. & if Vrabel can fix my OL, he'd definitely my next HC & I'll work my butt off to get his OC of choice.

I would trade Mercilus for as high of a pick as I could get. I think he's a good player, buts he's probably the most tradeable asset. I woud find a LB that was better in space to play over there opposite Clowney.

Clowney Rushes 95% of the time, the other guy about 50/50. McKinney is really good in the middle, but I'd try him out there and see what it looks like with the two rookies cole and Cunningham inside. Gives you more speed inside for passing situations and a faster more versatile defense.

Offensively, Id trade Lamar Miller for whatever I could get. Again, with the Texans lacking a first and second Rd pick I'd like to pick up some ammo for the draft.

I would start Foreman and wait for Blue to come back as a steadying veteran presence. Blue also becomes the backup fullback. Start working on your run blocking homie.

I would get Tyler Ervin more involved as a running back to try to get some matchups against LBs in space.

More movement of the pocket. Add in more screen plays. More play action, add in some bootlegs. keep running the jumbo packages.

So my plan is to try to get more athletic on defense and more versatile and offensively call better suited plays. Also, pick up some picks that can be used as ammo to move up.

I don't read all your posts nor remember everything that was written or keep track of who was first. If you were, then here is a golf clap. I don't have sigs activated because i try not to take in too many useless details.

Lynch had been mentored by Elway prior to joining San Fran. Elway had experience with the Crush, and was mentored by the existing GM of Denver when coming on board. Peyton still needs to do this. Elway, with all his experience asked Bowlen for this before coming on board.

Peyton is a pipe dream because he will go back to Indy, NOLA, or somewhere else. Not here.

I may be under estimating Peyton with his great up bringing and 40 years of experience around the NFL, but running the FO is vastly different than running an offense.

That's why McNair would need to Bill Polian first. It would be on a short term contract that mostly has him mentoring his Asst GM, Peyton Manning. I'd go 3 years or as quick as Polian says Manning is ready to run the show on his own. Address the now and build for the future McNair.....yes, it would be that simple. Oh, and neither of these guys would go back and work for that nut case Irsay in Indy.

Last edited:
Stupid iPad

Can't handle the new fangled electronics.

Still using my six year old hp desktop and older flip top phone.

Boss sometimes hands me her phone to send texts for her because mine has no real keyboard.
Hand it back to her and tell her its more simple to be old fashioned and just call someone and talk to them instead.:lightbulb:

Foreign concept for most people now days.:shrug:

:coffee:

That's why McNair would need to Bill Polian first. It would be on a short term contract that mostly has him mentoring his Asst GM, Peyton Manning. I'd go 3 years or as quick as Polian says Manning is ready to run the show on his own. Address the now and build for the future McNair.....yes, it would be that simple. Oh, and neither of these guys would go back and work for that nut case Irsay in Indy.

That's better thought out than just being a fan boy saying "Hire Peyton. He comes from a good family!"

That could work because that is the path Elway followed. Not that he is the greatest or anything.

So 8 years in the broadcast booth and Lynch is prepared to be a GM. I see and that worked out so well for Matt Millen.

I dont know how you could be more wrong.
----------------------------------
"Lynch settled in Denver after his playing career and grew close to John Elway. So when Elway took the Broncos’ job in 2011, he’d get after Lynch about leaving broadcasting to work for a team. To that end, in 2012, Elway had him write reports on safeties in the draft. In 2013, Lynch sat in Denver’s draft meetings for a month."

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/16/john-lynch-san-francisco-49ers-gm-career-path

So 8 years in the broadcast booth and Lynch is prepared to be a GM. I see and that worked out so well for Matt Millen.

Your hiring Peyton because he is a smart guy that was around the NFL follows the path of Matt Millen more closely:

" 2001, Millen left broadcasting to assume the job of the Detroit Lions' CEO and de facto general manager. At that time, Millen had no prior player development or front office experience. When first approached by owner William Clay Ford, Sr. about the job, Millen told him "Mr. Ford, I really appreciate this, but I'm not qualified." Ford responded "You're smart. You'll figure it out.""

Unless you can talk Jake Long or Vollmer out of retirement I don't see much help there... if you feel ok moving Martin to LG maybe Mangold but I think he's asking for too much money/years

I don't see how, in the total scheme of an NFL team, Mangold could be asking for too much money. He'd have to be asking QB money to be too much, with this O-line.

Last edited:
After thinking about what I would do, I would write this yr off. Moves I would make this yr. New England's 1st for Mercilus. Tyler Lockett for DB.
Next yrs FA signees Ty Nsehke and Santreal Henderson in FA.

Then I would use the Mercilus 1st on an OT like Connor Williams who will fall due to his recent knee injury (Fairly minor) and a bad 1st game and let him play OG to begin with.

Offense would look like this.

OL
Nsekhe/Williams/Martin/Mancz/Henderson.

Reserves OT Davenport/Reid/Fuller/Allen

QB's Watson, whoever the new HC wants

RB's Miller/Foreman/Ervin/Late draft pick

TE's Fiedo/Anderson/Griffin/Bayliss

WR's Hopkins/Fuller/Lockett/Davis/Hamilton

You can pickup Nsekhe who I really liked when he replaced Williams for the Redskins last yr on the cheap he's playing on a vet min contract this yr. Henderson has been suspended for smoking the refer but should be a great FA get for the vet min. Lockett would be a huge upgrade in the slot and can also play outside. He immediately upgrades the KR/PR positions.

Ricky just needs to be committed to doing whatever it takes to upgrading/protecting Watson and giving him as many weapons as possible.

Where's the 3rd Stooge ?!

Speaking of the 3 stooges , I watched their film debut last night , a movie starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford from 1933 called "The Dancing Lady" ... it was also the film debut of one Fred Astair. Thought that was interesting ....

Where's the 3rd Stooge ?!

Speaking of the 3 stooges , I watched their film debut last night , a movie starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford from 1933 called "The Dancing Lady" ... it was also the film debut of one Fred Astair. Thought that was interesting ....

I like watching old movies . It tells you a lot about yesteryear . I like turning on TCM for the inlaws and listen to them discuss it .

Last edited:
What do you think his demands are besides not wanting to play in Houston anymore?
Brown will report at he point he has to in order to have a vested season. Whatever the Texans could possibly acquire for Brown (a mid to late round future pick) will not help this team as much as 10 games of Brown at LT this season. Not to mention Brown is still under contract in 2018, so would hold the same trade value in the offseason as he does now.

What do you think his demands are besides not wanting to play in Houston anymore?

I haven't seen anything saying he doesn't want to play in Houston.

Rumor is he wants his contract guaranteed - none of the remaining money is at this point. I suspect what he wants is a couple years added

Rumor is he wants his contract guaranteed - none of the remaining money is at this point. I suspect what he wants is a couple years added

I heard it here on the message board.

So to me the Texans aren't getting a new LT for awhile unless you think they can get one in the 3rd or Davenport is the guy . By not redoing his contract you are saying we don't want to go out on a limb even if , you are , by far , the best option out there . Come in get hurt get cut is what they're doing .

When the Texans did not address this OL issue in the offseason , they set themselves up . IMO ... all Brown wants is what JJ and AJ got and he is every bit as valuable .

The Texans are like , we have no options , no plan , no backup , no hope . What we have that trumps all this is a gray rule that we're throwing down . There's a good chance that this is a lost season unless the offense can get on track with this pathetic OL but we have rules .

Last edited:
So to me the Texans aren't getting a new LT for awhile unless you think they can get one in the 3rd or Davenport is the guy . By not redoing his contract you are saying we don't want to go out on a limb even if , you are , by far , the best option out there . Come in get hurt get cut is what they're doing .

When the Texans did not address this OL issue in the offseason , they set themselves up . IMO ... all Brown wants is what JJ and AJ got and he is every bit as valuable .

The Texans are like , we have no options , no plan , no backup , no hope . What we have that trumps all this is a gray rule that we're throwing down . There's a good chance that this is a lost season unless the offense can get on track with this pathetic OL but we have rules .

Check out my post upthread, fixing the OL can be done. Bob/Ricky McNair just have to be willing to spend a little $$$ in FA. (Not a lot) ana be willing to take a slight risk along with giving up on this season. They should be willing to do this since BOB wont be here next yr anyways and this team is definiely not a SB contender this yr. Having Watson protected next yr should be a priority and nothing to accomplish protecting Watson should be ruled out. IMHO

None of those show he can scout talent and know how to manage the salary cap with contracts. There is a big difference between smart and talented on a football field and translating that to the front office.

If he was mentored like Lynch has been, let me know.

Like Ricky McNair can do these things.

Manning knows talent and he/his family know the best scouts in the NFL. He can hire a cap guy like Bob/Ricky McNair did with Olsen.

Check out my post upthread, fixing the OL can be done. Bob/Ricky McNair just have to be willing to spend a little $$$ in FA. (Not a lot) ana be willing to take a slight risk along with giving up on this season. They should be willing to do this since BOB wont be here next yr anyways and this team is definiely not a SB contender this yr. Having Watson protected next yr should be a priority and nothing to accomplish protecting Watson should be ruled out. IMHO

Several teams bit the bullett and over spent on FA offensive lineman this offseason . That's what they had to do to compete .

Several teams bit the bullett and over spent on FA offensive lineman this offseason . That's what they had to do to compete .

Ricky chose not to and now it's biting the team in the butt.

# Another brick in wall of getting rid of BOB./ No dissension in this teams FO/HC.

Ricky chose not to and now it's biting the team in the butt.

# Another brick in wall of getting rid of BOB./ No dissension in this teams FO/HC.

What I'm realizing is what a waste of time dedicating Sundays to these guys are . I'll start recording them and then check the score to see if it's worth watching when the fall weather hits .

What I'm realizing is what a waste of time dedicating Sundays to these guys are . I'll start recording them and then check the score to see if it's worth watching when the fall weather hits .
Welcome to the club, LOL.

I still had the TV on the last 2 years plus this, but I can doze off easily.
I ain't got nothing to do, but O'Brien wasn't gonna ruin my day.
I watched the game despite of him.

:corrosion:

Back