Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

A lot of this can be settled in the next QB cutups video.

Hey Nitro, wanna compare Mallett play calls to Hoyer play calls?

I don't have a problem with mallets touch.

The throwing the balls at people's feet
It was until 1:42 left in the game...is what i meant anyway.

I don't want to go here but screw it, I will...

We got luck with the Hail Mary to end the half. Also, the colts were playing terrible defensively. Mallett marched down the field too against those guys so I don't think it was something great Hoyer was doing. I think the colts defense just stunk and as the game went on that became more and more evident.

Even on that last play where he threw the pick that wasnt great defense by the colts. It was an awful job by Hoyer. Im so serious, if I'm a head coach I'd have cut Hoyer after that because I could never trust him again after that.

And I don't even think mallett has played good here. He's been really bad at times in fact.

Mallett looks like a high-schooler. He looks substantially the same as he was at Ark years ago. Nothing's changed. Given that Mallett had four or five years at NE to develop I'd say it's a fair bet he's about as developed as he's going to get. Apparently Cowher said on TV htat he liked Mallett. Maybe he could make something out of Mallett. Maybe a true QB whisperer could. Bill is not that guy.

For the most part... yeah. While in New England, he learned about defenses, he learned routes. He learned the vocabulary... but he's only just now finding out how high LBs can jump in the NFL, how fast DBs can close gaps.. how defenses change as you snap the ball.

I'm not saying he's a rookie, just that he needs time to adjust. Hopefully not nearly as much time as a rookie would need, but time none the less.

It's relative...Considering he's a rookie, hadn't even dressed and played in a regular season game..I would say yes it was a great performance. Noone expected it and if any rookie was gonna catch 2 TD's in the game it was gonna be Mumphrey.

On the day he managed 2 targets a Hail Mary and a wide open no defender within 20 yds broken play. I'm yippee for the results but no, not great play.

Based on the way we prepare, play, and coach I propose the following strategy:

Name one guy the starting QB. Either one, doesn't matter. Go through the whole week with him as the starter. Prepare and practice as if he will be the guy. And then five minutes before the game decide to start the other guy and just wing it.

Point is, we don't appear to "prepare" at all. Nothing we do is dependent on our opponent. We do the exact same thing every single week regardless.

We don't appear to practice either. We have not improved in one area and we're about 1/3 through the season. We just play the exact same way every single week.

I don't even think we should call plays. Just let the guys go out there and run around. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to our coaches having headsets because they make no adjustments to the opponent.

Maybe the wrong thread. I don't know. If it is just put it where it should go. In the end, it doesn't matter one bit who plays QB for this team. Neither one brings anything that can overcome the deficit we create for ourselves before the game even starts.

If Mallet had put up 300+ yds passing with 3 TDs, 77% completion percentage and moved the offense down the field the way Hoyer did while simultaneously bringing the team back, you, me and everyone else would be bouncing off the walls right now with glee about Mallet's potential.

Absolutely, because that would be three games in 5 completing over 60% of his passes & definite improvement in the other categories.

As it applies to Hosyer, that's only his 2nd game in 20 with over 70% completion. 3rd, maybe 4th (going off my rum soaked memory here) with over 300 yards passing... it's fools gold considering Hoyer's history.

Potential considering Mallett's.

TK and a couple others have commented on this, I did during the game - it seemed like the routes changed with Hoyer in the game, less hitches, more slants, etc. Don't know if those are different reads by the QB or different calls by the OC. But go look at how close the nearest defender is and the routes.

I didn't record the game. Maybe someone who did can prove that impression wrong.

Sorry for the delay. Life has a way of changing your priorities. That said, the QB Cutups are up. Have a look for yourself.

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/week-5-qb-cutups-all-22.109508/

Mallet hasn't shown any great propensity to throw it downfield accurately in any of his starts.

Complete nonsense. Just look at week 4's QB cutups. He completed multiple deep passes. You're just making sh!t up to fit your narrative.

Eh, if i'm not mistaken, Hoyer had just come off of moving the ball down the field for pts

You mean a hail mary? lol

You're talking about 1 half way decent drive amongst a myriad of overall bad drives & qb play he had going back to the ATL game.

Again, this does not fit the evidence. Just your narrative. Each All 22 film is posted, and Mallett has had plenty of great drives stalled by dropped passess, fumbles, or INT's that were not his fault.

Mallet hasn't proven anything in this league and he hasn't earned that benefit of the doubt

And Hoyer has? Give me a break.

If Mallet is playing anywhere near decent, Hoyer's not playing.........period.

Mallett was 7/10 with a 7.1 YPA. I'd say that is pretty damn good. And the team was moving up and down the field. Had Foster not dropped the pass that admittedly was slightly high and behind --but easily catchable-- the Texans would have scored, possible on that play.

I'm not even saying he wasn't ready to go back in...but if the guy has already burned me once in not being forthcoming with just how bad he's injured & how it's effecting his play, He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me again as a coach after he's been walked off the field after taking a nice shot to the ribs.

More absurdity.

Mallet lost OB's benefit of the doubt on injuries last year when he downplayed how badly his pec injury was effecting his play.

HODOR!

The funny thing about all this is that imo all it would take is 1 great perfomance from him ...similar to Hoyer's in the Colts game

Maybe you were watching a different game than me. Hoyer against one of the worst D's in the league where he throws two TD's where one was a hail mary, and the other another blown coverage is not great in my mind. In my mind the final play illustrates what you get with Hoyer. Only Hoyer could manage to be so indecisive that he would get hit on a 3 man rush and finally decide to chuck the ball up for grabs and still take a hit. That final play is Brian Hoyer. He's here to turn NRG into the Factory of Sadness South.

OB sees that Hoyer is a better all around QB than Mallett. Mallett has that assassin's arm, but that's all he has.

Then you are nothing more than a casual fan. The man has great pre snap reads, has demonstrated the ability to keep his feet tied to his reads and his pocket awareness is 2nd to none.

Given that Mallett had four or five years at NE to develop I'd say it's a fair bet he's about as developed as he's going to get.

How many starts did he have during that time? This was Mallett's 6th start. You do not develop without actual game time. We knew starting Mallett came with some growing pains, but it is the only way to see what we have an allow that seasoning while an understudy paying off.

Considering he's a rookie, hadn't even dressed and played in a regular season game..I would say yes it was a great performance.

Anything to fit your narrative right? The only reason Strong was in the game was due to injury of two veteran WR's injuries. Otherwise he would have still been sitting on the bench. He got lucky in both cases. A hail-mary where no one bothered to cover him, and a corner router where wouldn't you know it. No one bothered to cover him. It's that top 10 Colts D ya know.

A lot of this can be settled in the next QB cutups video.

Hey Nitro, wanna compare Mallett play calls to Hoyer play calls?

Sorry for the delay. They are up now.
http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/qb-cutups-week-5-2015.109508/

I'm not however going to waste my time breaking down the plays. With all the nonsense posted in this thread it would be foolish. Those guys don't even review those tapes, and even when they do, they do not seem to know what they are looking at. Anyone who wants to can look for themselves.

I think what O'Brien did was a dick move. No two ways about it. I agree with many here that play calling changed once Hoyer entered the game. What you will see is a lot of check downs that went for YAC because the Colts D sucks and an occasional deeper throw. I saw one really great throw by Hoyer, the rest were average at best. Again, let's not forget we are talking about the leagues 28th ranked D.

The Texans biggest problem at this point is not QB. It's the defense IMO. Mallett was playing well, and allowed to return to the game would have generated the win. Hoyer is good at practice, and good between the 20's. But when the game is on the line, that final play sums up Brian Hoyer perfectly. The reaction by O'Brien was priceless and I will be providing an animated gif for the board with that one.

O'Brien lost my respect with his d!ck move against our biggest division rival when he threw the game plan --if there was one-- out the window to throw his boyfriend in for the remainder of the game. No other HC in the league would have pulled such a move on their starter so early in the game, especially considering Mallett was playing well. I do not blame him at all for the way he acted. I had the same look on my face the rest of the game.And I called the INT before the snap. I just knew it and said out loud here comes the INT before the snap.

Funny thing is many want to make a big deal about his attitude. Just remember, you are talking about TV. Watch the sidelines on the all 22 and you will see Mallett involved in the game. Only when it suited the TV narrative did they show his face. One example is the play at 20:58 you can see Mallett animated and supporting his team pointing for the 1st down.

Last edited:
& I can't believe you still believe Mallet has earned that benefit of the doubt. This isn't Peyton Manning we're talking about here where even if he plays at like 80% he's still better than most. This is an unproven guy who has had enough trouble playing halfway decent when fully healthy....let alone hurt or injured.................................................with a history of downplaying his situation just to get on the field.

You're making it seem as if Mallet is somehow owed these opportunities he's been given...he ain't. OB is the 1st and only coach to even give this kid a chance to try and prove something....& so far he's done nothing with those opportunites whereas better players would've long seized on 1 of them. He's had multiple chances to make the decision easy on OB....................or at the very least force OB's hand to ride with him...Instead he's squandered them away like a pre teen does with disposal income.

The mere fact that OB is still being used as an excuse for this guys failures
to secure the starting spot says all that needs to be said about his play thus far & some of you guys still acting like this guy is somehow being done wrong.

So let me understand this. We can see and place blame on OB for the failures we see of most of the rest of the players and the team as a whole........but we can't see how he has contributed to the perceived failure of Mallet as starting QB. :ok:

A more realistic look at Hoyer.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 10h10 hours ago
Down 10 w/ 6 mins to go, 3rd down & 4. Hop runs sick double move, 3 yd window, he can't believe Hoyer missed him.

CRPyssYVAAA4xD6.png

And on that play the pocket was clean....,NO pressure.......and Hoyer throws it OOB!

A more realistic look at Hoyer.

And on that play the pocket was clean....,NO pressure.......and Hoyer throws it OOB!

Hoyer is a clown. He's a known quantity. He takes the team nowhere. The effin Browns got rid of him, they learned who he was. Any coach who gives him snaps in the NFL is an absolute idiot.

Mallett has only a few starts in the NFL, he is still learning. What OB did to Mallett was a d1ck move, I'm glad it blew up in his face, that is what he deserved.

Crennel is another clown. His record of suck-itude since he left Belicheck speaks for itself. BB was a 2 times SB winner as a D coordinator before he joined the Patriots.

Mercilus is another clown. JJ Watt doubled the whole game, Mercilus does nothing. Trash.

And the biggest clown is the incompetent GM who was damaged the team with his bad drafts. He lets C Barwin walk and replaces him with Mercilus. L O L

We got luck with the Hail Mary to end the half.

yep. I really expected the defender to signal a fair catch of that interception.

That one play, with game on the line and another down to go, tells me all I knew and need to know about Hoyer. Situational awareness does not exist in his mind, especially when it matters and his brain is pressured to make decisions. There were so many options, and he chose the worst of them all. There is nothing redeeming about that play. It is the example that epitomizes Brian Hoyer's career. And this is O'Brien's guy. Consistency blah blah blah. Yeah, dude is consistently Brian freakin' Hoyer.

Based on the way we prepare, play, and coach I propose the following strategy:

Name one guy the starting QB. Either one, doesn't matter. Go through the whole week with him as the starter. Prepare and practice as if he will be the guy. And then five minutes before the game decide to start the other guy and just wing it.

Point is, we don't appear to "prepare" at all. Nothing we do is dependent on our opponent. We do the exact same thing every single week regardless.

We don't appear to practice either. We have not improved in one area and we're about 1/3 through the season. We just play the exact same way every single week.

I don't even think we should call plays. Just let the guys go out there and run around. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to our coaches having headsets because they make no adjustments to the opponent.

Maybe the wrong thread. I don't know. If it is just put it where it should go. In the end, it doesn't matter one bit who plays QB for this team. Neither one brings anything that can overcome the deficit we create for ourselves before the game even starts.

Well said, man. This is what makes me look at coaching as the source of failure. They do not seem to be able to teach their players from week-to-week. They come into games unprepared, and then proceed to play undisciplined football. Week after week, we see the same problems, the same lack of focus, the same vanilla schemes, and then a coach that keeps telling us that they need to figure out how to coach these players.

I cannot even begin to express my disappointment in Bill O'Brien. When a pro coach tells the press that he does not know how to coach his team - which is essentially his regurgitated message every week - then his honesty should be accepted as more than just trying to shoulder blame. He is openly telling us that he does not know how to coach his players and lead his coaching staff to do the same. He is telling us the obvious. WE just have to be honest enough with ourselves to listen to his confessions.

yep. I really expected the defender to signal a fair catch of that interception.

That one play, with game on the line and another down to go, tells me all I knew and need to know about Hoyer. Situational awareness does not exist in his mind, especially when it matters and his brain is pressured to make decisions. There were so many options, and he chose the worst of them all. There is nothing redeeming about that play. It is the example that epitomizes Brian Hoyer's career. And this is O'Brien's guy. Consistency blah blah blah. Yeah, dude is consistently Brian freakin' Hoyer.

Well said, man. This is what makes me look at coaching as the source of failure. They do not seem to be able to teach their players from week-to-week. They come into games unprepared, and then proceed to play undisciplined football. Week after week, we see the same problems, the same lack of focus, the same vanilla schemes, and then a coach that keeps telling us that they need to figure out how to coach these players.

I cannot even begin to express my disappointment in Bill O'Brien. When a pro coach tells the press that he does not know how to coach his team - which is essentially his regurgitated message every week - then his honesty should be accepted as more than just trying to shoulder blame. He is openly telling us that he does not know how to coach his players and lead his coaching staff to do the same. He is telling us the obvious. WE just have to be honest enough with ourselves to listen to his confessions.
A flag football team is more prepared than O'Brien.

:gun:

Hoyer is a clown. He's a known quantity. He takes the team nowhere. The effin Browns got rid of him, they learned who he was. Any coach who gives him snaps in the NFL is an absolute idiot.

Mallett has only a few starts in the NFL, he is still learning. What OB did to Mallett was a d1ck move, I'm glad it blew up in his face, that is what he deserved.

Crennel is another clown. His record of suck-itude since he left Belicheck speaks for itself. BB was a 2 times SB winner as a D coordinator before he joined the Patriots.

Mercilus is another clown. JJ Watt doubled the whole game, Mercilus does nothing. Trash.

And the biggest clown is the incompetent GM who was damaged the team with his bad drafts. He lets C Barwin walk and replaces him with Mercilus. L O L

Great post

LOL it's unreal how hard you're trying. There aren't Mallett "haters" unless you mean people who hate bad QB play.

There are people here with their eyes open, and there are people like you with their eyes closed.

There are guys who can hit 58 on the gun when they need to, but they can also hit 54 or 52 if the situation calls for it. Mallett hits 58 on everything. His arm doesn't have any other setting.

Haven't you heard. This is now extreme Texans talk. You're either a lover or a hater. Logic has no place here. I've never been a mallet fan. Never really believed he could become a quality winning qb. All I've ever said is that he's the only qb on this roster that has upside and we need to give him time to see if he can develop.

You say I'm blind but you're dead set mallet cannot improve and you've come to this conclusion because you didn't like him in college and the four actual games he's played so far.

You're ignoring the fact that lots of guys (brady for instance) don't look good in college but develop in the nfl. You're also ignoring the fact that most inexperienced QB's even the highly touted ones take time in real games to develop.

You and others like you that don't like Mallett are also ignoring facts like he's had to play behind a makeshift line with little or no running game since the whole time he's had a chance to gain experience.

Now you and your friends will say those are all just excuses. He's terrible and he throws the ball so hard that WRs can't catch his passes. I'll agree he needs to work on his touch big time. That pass that went through fosters hands was thrown way to hard. But to think that touch isn't something someone can work on and improve on after only four games is just silly.

Like I said I was never a mallet fan just a fan of giving him a fair chance. 4 games 5 games whatever is just not enough time. If that was the standard around the league think of haw many QB's would of never developed.

Hoyer is exactly what Fitz was, a place holder. He's had the time on the feild and has developed into a decent qb. Unless there is pressure in which case he crumbles like the offspring of David Carr and Matt Schaub. He has no upside. We have wasted another year if he is our starter.

At least if Mallet fails we took a chance on someone with upside. It's a Longshot everyone agrees with that. But at least there's a chance.

Reactions: JB
Haven't you heard. This is now extreme Texans talk. You're either a lover or a hater. Logic has no place here. I've never been a mallet fan. Never really believed he could become a quality winning qb. All I've ever said is that he's the only qb on this roster that has upside and we need to give him time to see if he can develop.

You say I'm blind but you're dead set mallet cannot improve and you've come to this conclusion because you didn't like him in college and the four actual games he's played so far.

You're ignoring the fact that lots of guys (brady for instance) don't look good in college but develop in the nfl. You're also ignoring the fact that most inexperienced QB's even the highly touted ones take time in real games to develop.

You and others like you that don't like Mallett are also ignoring facts like he's had to play behind a makeshift line with little or no running game since the whole time he's had a chance to gain experience.

Now you and your friends will say those are all just excuses. He's terrible and he throws the ball so hard that WRs can't catch his passes. I'll agree he needs to work on his touch big time. That pass that went through fosters hands was thrown way to hard. But to think that touch isn't something someone can work on and improve on after only four games is just silly.

Like I said I was never a mallet fan just a fan of giving him a fair chance. 4 games 5 games whatever is just not enough time. If that was the standard around the league think of haw many QB's would of never developed.

Hoyer is exactly what Fitz was, a place holder. He's had the time on the feild and has developed into a decent qb. Unless there is pressure in which case he crumbles like the offspring of David Carr and Matt Schaub. He has no upside. We have wasted another year if he is our starter.

At least if Mallet fails we took a chance on someone with upside. It's a Longshot everyone agrees with that. But at least there's a chance.

Mallett actually looked decent in college. Most people thought he was a first round talent. I just happened to disagree. I thought he was a product of Bobby Petrino's system. He was inaccurate but had an insane talent advantage at WR compared to the other team's DBs so nobody really noticed. His guys were wide open all the time and he never had to make contested throws. He was also a choke artist in big moments. He would routinely throw 4th quarter, game ending INTs in close games. He had good command of the system, which was considered pro-style but it's not. It's actually an extremely simple system that has spread principles except they use their TE as a slot WR. But because they line up in traditional sets people just assumed he was learning an NFL playbook and gave him bonus points. He was also given a boost to his rating due to his size and arm strength, two things which are meaningless as long as you meet the minimum standards.

I bring all that up to say this. Based on his college tape, I didn't think Mallett looked like a starting NFL QB. And in his short NFL stint, he has actually underperformed compared to the expectations I had on him.

So, I'm a guy who is not high on him at all to start with. I set a low bar. And then he can't even reach that bar. So, yeah, he hasn't exactly done anything to make me change my mind about him. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Have been forced to plenty of times. But in this case, why the hell would I?

Brady did look good in college by the way. Just ask WolverineFan. I wouldn't have used that example. If I remember correctly they used a two QB system with him and Drew Henson in which Brady was clearly the better player but Lloyd Carr desperately wanted Henson to beat him out for two reasons. 1)If he didn't start he was going to leave and play baseball for the Yankees. 2)He had three years of eligibility left and Brady had one.

Some of you guys want to make all these excuses for Mallett when the simple truth is staring you right in the face. At absolute best, he's played evenly with Hoyer, who we all know is dogshit. He has shown no growth over the games that he has played. If he sucked but slightly improved each week it would be one thing, but it shouldn't take him five games to throw a pass higher than a WR's shoelaces. He displays a strong knowledge of the system. He generally makes good decisions. But his biggest weakness has not improved one bit.

The upside talk is ridiculous to me. There has never been a single glimpse of this supposed potential. The reason why is because the upside is tied to his size and arm strength only. If Mallett is 6-2, 215 we aren't even having this discussion.

--------------------------------
On a side note, I really enjoy your posts. In fact, this might be the first time we have ever disagreed on something. I do not mean to come off as hostile. I just firmly disagree with the Mallett talk around here. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Just stating my opinion. I think all this losing has made us all a little chippy.

Last edited:
The upside talk is ridiculous to me. There has never been a single glimpse of this supposed potential. The reason why is because the upside is tied to his size and arm strength only. If Mallett is 6-2, 215 we aren't even having this discussion.

If he had played the way he did in Cleveland... the way he came in during the KC game... 6'2" 215 wouldn't be a problem for me. Looks like something to build on to me.

If he had played the way he did in Cleveland... the way he came in during the KC game... 6'2" 215 wouldn't be a problem for me. Looks like something to build on to me.

Let's just take a look at what we've had here the last few years:

Fitzpatrick - (12 games) 56 QBR, 95 Efficiency Rating 6-2 223, 32 years old
Keenum - (10 games) 34 QBR, 77 Efficiency Rating 6-1 205, 27 years old
Mallett - (7 games) 49 QBR, 65 Efficiency Rating 6-6 245, 27 years old
Hoyer - (3 games) 64 QBR, 96 Efficiency Rating 6-2 215, 30 years old

Obviously, this breakdown is only what these guys have done here with the Texans. I'm not going to include stats from before they were here. For the purposes of this exercise, let's just all agree that neither Fitz or Hoyer were ever going to be more than a placeholder. They just have too much bad tape on their record.

People here want to talk about Mallett's small sample size but all they have as evidence for his "potential" is one game against Cleveland when there was no film on him. Keenum had two or three better games than that in his short time here.

Now, look at these four players and tell me where the difference lies. Where is this potential talk coming from? What is the only, single thing that differentiates Mallett from this group that even hints at him having a ceiling higher than theirs?

Let me be clear. I am not advocating for any of these four QBs. I am only just trying to figure out why one of them gets so much more rope than the others. I am honestly open to any suggestions. It can't be performance (obviously). It can't be age (no glaring difference outside Fitz). It can't be experience (Mallett has more NFL practice time than Keenum did, behind Tom Brady no less).

Last edited:
Now, look at these four players and tell me where the difference lies. Where is this potential talk coming from? What is the only, single thing that differentiates Mallett from this group that even hints at him having a ceiling higher than theirs?

7 games is a bit disingenuous but let's let that slide.

The answer that differentiates both Mallett and Keenum from Fitz and Hoyer is their games are the only ones they've played in the NFL. 99% of QBs don't hit their peak in their first 10 games.

You know this.

To get off the Mallett bunny trail, for example I think Keenum could grow into a Fitz/Hoyer level QB with more experience.

7 games is a bit disingenuous but let's let that slide.

The answer that differentiates both Mallett and Keenum from Fitz and Hoyer is their games are the only ones they've played in the NFL. 99% of QBs don't hit their peak in their first 10 games.

You know this.

To get off the Mallett bunny trail, for example I think Keenum could grow into a Fitz/Hoyer level QB with more experience.

This is pretty much where I'm trying to go. Keenum got barely more time here than Mallett has already and he was run out of town. But Mallett needs a full 16 games before we can form our opinion. Why is that? Why is his potential considered so much greater when he has shown the same or less in almost the same amount of time?

This is pretty much where I'm trying to go. Keenum got barely more time here than Mallett has already and he was run out of town. But Mallett needs a full 16 games before we can form our opinion. Why is that? Why is his potential considered so much greater when he has shown the same or less in almost the same amount of time?

I think you're starting to skew. Mallett hasn't had near the same time - 330 v. 222 att (with 45 of those being injured).

But to answer your original question, I don't think the full potential of either has been seen in their playing time. I think we've seen enough to spot serious flaws in each but not enough time to see how far they can iron them out.

Maybe it is a semantic thing - I'd rather see the uncertainty of Mallett than the certainty of Hoyer.

You also have to remember that during Mallett's first ever NFL start, he got rid of the ball faster than any other QB in the NFL that week while maintaining a decent completion percentage, even while under pressure. His first ever TD throw to JJ was a touch pass that couldn't have been more accurate and better timed.

It comes down to what Cak said above: "I'd rather see the uncertainty of Mallett than the certainty of Hoyer."

The problem is that O'Brien's certainty of Hoyer is vastly different than ours.

Maybe it is a semantic thing - I'd rather see the uncertainty of Mallett than the certainty of Hoyer.

Now let's talk disingenuous. You made a statement similar to this when Hoyer was initially picked as starter after the sham pre-season competition. Since it was your idea I think it accurately reflects your opinion. However, it has become a trope around here. I stated at the time that I thought people thought Mallet was good quarterback ( I might have said very good). You disagreed, I aasked, and NO ONE admitted to thinking Mallet was good. He was just unknown.

We still see this on the board - a criticism is made of Mallett and impassioned responses are sure to follow. Not because people think Mallet is good, of course, but because he is unknown. I am calling bullshit on that.

The people on this board are very opinionated. They build draft boards to evaluate the entire eligible college class. They can go on for paragraphs about who the next coach should be. They share their opinions on the various options and outcomes of microfracture surgery. Yet no one admits to having an opinion that Mallett is a good quarterback. I think people are hiding behind that trope so that they can have it both ways. If he fails they can say, well he deserved a chance so they were right. If he turns into a franchise quarterback they will have know all along.

So let's get off the fence. Who thinks Mallett is good? Who thinks he isn't? Who doesn't know (and since you don't know and admit it you should probably stop posting about how good he is, since you really don't think so).

I don't think Mallett is good. I think he is mediocre at best (if he gets there) in a poor man's Jay Cutler sort of way. But don't get mad, I think Hoyer is mediocre at best in a poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick kind of way.

===========================

I hope we don't have to give every unknown a year at quarterback in the NFL to be fair - I don't want to see Tom Savage all next year solely because he hasn't had his chance.

Last edited:
All sorts of fail in there. I'm not going to answer for your speculation about unnamed MB members. I've made myself clear.

Frankly your weighing in so vociferously on this looks like you're a little scared Mallett will improve enough to justify not taking a QB high in the next draft (an agenda i have generally agreed with you on for the past few years). But I'll deal with 'should we' later while telling you now unless he's blowing doors at the end of the season my answer would be yes draft a QB high.

Last edited:
Now let's talk disingenuous. You made a statement similar to this when Hoyer was initially picked as starter after the sham pre-season competition. Since it was your idea I think it accurately reflects your opinion. However, it has become a trope around here. I stated at the time that I thought people thought Mallet was good quarterback ( I might have said very good). You disagreed, I aasked, and NO ONE admitted to thinking Mallet was good. He was just unknown.

We still see this on the board - a criticism is made of Mallett and impassioned responses are sure to follow. Not because people think Mallet is good, of course, but because he is unknown. I am calling bullshit on that.

The people on this board are very opinionated. They build draft boards to evaluate the entire eligible college class. They can go on for paragraphs about who the next coach should be. They share their opinions on the various options and outcomes of microfracture surgery. Yet no one admits to having an opinion that Mallett is a good quarterback. I think people are hiding behind that trope so that they can have it both ways. If he fails they can say, well he deserved a chance so they were right. If he turns into a franchise quarterback they will have know all along.

So let's get off the fence. Who thinks Mallett is good? Who thinks he isn't? Who doesn't know (and since you don't know and admit it you should probably stop posting about how good he is, since you really don't think so).

I don't think Mallett is good. I think he is mediocre at best (if he gets there) in a poor man's Jay Cutler sort of way. But don't get mad, I think Hoyer is mediocre at best in a poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick kind of way.

===========================

I hope we don't have to give every unknown a year at quarterback in the NFL to be fair - I don't want to see Tom Savage all next year solely because he hasn't had his chance.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm clearly just not capable of putting my thoughts down into words this well.

I don't think Mallett is good. In fact, I think it's pretty clear already that he will never be good. The majority of this board very, very clearly disagrees with that based on the backlash I've been getting for questioning his potential. That's fine, and if I'm wrong I will gladly eat my crow. I've been wrong before. It's not a big deal.

Last edited:
All sorts of fail in there. I'm not going to answer for your speculation about unnamed MB members. I've made myself clear.

Frankly your weighing in so vociferously on this looks like you're a little scared Mallett will improve enough to justify not taking a QB high in the next draft. I'll cross that 'should we' problem later while telling you now unless he's blowing doors at the end of the season my answer would be yes draft a QB high.

No, I'm not "scared" Mallett will improve enough for the Texans not to pick a first round quarterback. I doubt that happens whether they win 3 games or 10. I have no confidence in the Texans brain trust's ability to identify good quarterbacks anyway. Jeez - I haven't complained about Rick Smith on here for months. I can certainly deal with the Texans not making draft picks I like.

I don't think Mallet has what it takes to be a franchise quarterback in this league and I am not afraid to admit it. I do get tired of people leaping to spin up his defense while proclaiming that they have no opinion if he is good or not. My irritation at such disingenousness (not a word) on an internet message board is probably a sign I've been hanging out here too much discussing a pathetic product.

I don't think Mallett has been very good. Honestly I don't know if he can get better, but I'd prefer to find that out over getting what I feel I already know will be a continuation of the same with Hoyer.

And I don't think most would care to give an unknown a year to find out if we had anymore than lukewarm mediocre as the known alternative.

Let me be clear. I am not advocating for any of these four QBs. I am only just trying to figure out why one of them gets so much more rope than the others. I am honestly open to any suggestions. It can't be performance (obviously). It can't be age (no glaring difference outside Fitz). It can't be experience (Mallett has more NFL practice time than Keenum did, behind Tom Brady no less).

I'm a little different than most. I think the Texans would have finished better than 2-14 had Kubes played TJ instead of Case. Not because I think Tj is better, but because he was more prepared. Practice squad, imo, is where project QBs go to correct/develop proper throwing mechanics. You're not learning an offense, you're not reading defenses. You're just throwing.

Physically, Tj was "healthy Schaub." I had confidence Kubiak could make a decent QB. The best Tj could be anyway. Hopefully that would have been good enough to be a place holder until we found someone special.

I know we were on a play off run, but Kubiak should have got Tj involved in some of those last games of 2012.

I saw enough of Case to think maybe he could be our place holder when he did play. We'd have won most of those 8 games if we had Foster. All of them if Foster & OD were healthy.

But most people don't want to hear that around here & I'd just as soon move on. The only chance he had of being successful here was Gary Kubiak. When he left, the chances of some other coach coming in & seeing anything special in Case was next to nothing.

Brian Hoyer is OB's Keenum.

I think I know what Hoyer is. I think we're wasting our time. I don't know who Mallett is. I'd like to find out. If Mallett weren't here & Case was, I'd argue for Case over Hoyer.

If Kubiak was still here & we had Case & Mallett, I'd argue for Case.

But like you, if I could have anybody I wanted, within reason, it wouldn't be either.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm clearly just not capable of putting my thoughts down into words this well.

I don't think Mallett is good. In fact, I think it's pretty clear already that he will never be good. The majority of this board very, very clearly disagrees with that based on the backlash I've been getting for questioning his potential. That's fine, and if I'm wrong I will gladly eat my crow. I've been wrong before. It's not a big deal.

Mallett hasn't played enough to know how good he is. Let him play the season out and if he stinks the Texans should be in a good position to draft their QB of the future. If Mallett is great (Doubtful) then the future is bright. Hoyer leading the team to a 6-10, 9-7 season does nothing to help find the QB of the future. Unfortunately it looks like BOB disagrees with my stance.

You're leaving out at least one question: "Who thinks Mallett has shown enough flashes to be worthy of development?" That allows an acknowledgement that he may not be good right now, but exploring his development is a better option than Hoyer. Disagreement with that risk is understood, as it's all subjective, but let's not oversimplify all the positions on this topic.

I am calling bullshit on that.

Who here thinks Bridgewater is a good QB? Who thinks Mariota is a good QB?

I like Mallett better than both of them because OB is our coach & Mallett has shown a pretty good understanding of O'Brien's offense. (A.J. McCarron would be my guy... so maybe I don't know what the check I'm talking about.)

Mallett has the size I'm looking for. He has the arm I'm looking for. He played in a pro-ish system. His college numbers, completion %, ypa, TD:Int... all where I want them to be. He played on a ranked team in a major conference. He holds multiple passing records for his school.

The only things that would have stopped me from taking him with the #1 overall was that he didn't win 23 games & he didn't start for three years. (McCarron was lacking the arm).

I know those things don't mean much to most around here. & I don't think that contradicts what I just said about Case. I wouldn't have drafted Case in the first. I might have drafted him in the 5th, unless I felt really good about getting him undrafted. But after seeing him in his first NFL game, all that measurement & grading sht went out the window. The kid (loosely used) shows promise.

I wouldn't say special, but promise.

I think you're starting to skew. Mallett hasn't had near the same time - 330 v. 222 att (with 45 of those being injured).

But to answer your original question, I don't think the full potential of either has been seen in their playing time. I think we've seen enough to spot serious flaws in each but not enough time to see how far they can iron them out.

EXACTLY. We KNOW what Hoyer brings to the table. Mallet still needs time to KNOW for sure what he brings. Hence upside. I want to be 100 % sure he CAN'T improve any further before I turn over this team to a placeholder.

If he sucks we took a shot, it didn't work out, oh well. If we just give up on him this soon why the hell did we even bring him back? We should of drafted a qb. This is a wasted year on another guy (hoyer) who we all know is definitely not the answer going forward.

With this kind of decision making we will be saying the same thing about Watt as we did about Andre Johnson. To bad he wasted his great career on such shitty teams.

Mallett hasn't played enough to know how good he is. Let him play the season out and if he stinks the Texans should be in a good position to draft their QB of the future. If Mallett is great (Doubtful) then the future is bright. Hoyer leading the team to a 6-10, 9-7 season does nothing to help find the QB of the future. Unfortunately it looks like BOB disagrees with my stance.

I don't know how many times this has to be said. Now people are disingenuous for feeling this way? LOL. Well here's to Hoyer not being good enough to be the future and just good enough to keep any real chance at finding one just out of reach.

And cheers to all these incredible talent evaluators who only need a hand full of actual snaps to determine that Mallet is an absolute waste of time and can never develop into a good NFL qb. That truly is amazing.

The way I see it, if Hoyer is the QB for the rest of the season. he may win a couple of games here and there...........and has no chance of ever turning into a QB that will take us anywhere in the future........and leaving us with little chance of a top pick QB in next year's Draft. If Mallet is the QB for the rest of the season, there is a chance that he may also win only a couple of games here and there and leave us no worse off in the Draft slot (or by some people's evaluation may leave us even better off with a worse record)...........but, unlike Hoyer, his final chapter has not been written and he could still carry the potential (though some would say very small) to show progressive development by the end of the season and turn into a QB worth taking us into the future. This is my personal opinion........and I certainly am not going to try to convince those that don't share my thoughts to jump ship.

Let's just take a look at what we've had here the last few years:

Fitzpatrick - (12 games) 56 QBR, 95 Efficiency Rating 6-2 223, 32 years old
Keenum - (10 games) 34 QBR, 77 Efficiency Rating 6-1 205, 27 years old
Mallett - (7 games) 49 QBR, 65 Efficiency Rating 6-6 245, 27 years old
Hoyer - (3 games) 64 QBR, 96 Efficiency Rating 6-2 215, 30 years old

Obviously, this breakdown is only what these guys have done here with the Texans. I'm not going to include stats from before they were here. For the purposes of this exercise, let's just all agree that neither Fitz or Hoyer were ever going to be more than a placeholder. They just have too much bad tape on their record.

People here want to talk about Mallett's small sample size but all they have as evidence for his "potential" is one game against Cleveland when there was no film on him. Keenum had two or three better games than that in his short time here.

Behind the scenes drama that we'll probably never know all the facts.....Personality conflicts, egos, bs promises, narsasistic coaches, indecisiveness, etc etc......The obvious difference between these QB's is that Mallett has never been given a "real" shot as a starting QB w/Texans....Any coach that thinks he can tell how good A QB is based on starting him 2 quarters then benching him then putting him in 4 th quarter then benching him then starting him then benching him (all this in a span of 7 games... is simply a lousy arrogant coach. Add the total number of quarters Mallett has played QB for Texans....comes to less than 5 games....Obrien & Godsey should be arrested for impersonating an NFL coach. Do I know if Mallett could be a legit NFL QB? .....no I don't.....and neither does Obrien & Godsey....because they obviously don't want to know.....why is this? That's the million $ question.
When my son said he wanted to take some marshal arts classes I didn't sign him up for 1/2 a class 4 or 5 times.....(the equivalent of what Obrien & Godsey have done w/Mallett).. I enrolled him in a 6 month class 2 days per week. He struggled a little with it for the first few months but I told him quitting before the 6 month class was over was not an option.....he finished the class and over the course of several more years he reached black belt.....Its a real shame Obrien & Godsey think so highly of themselves......because no else does....I played organized football from age 10 to 18....I had some lousy coaches, some good coaches & some great coaches......these 2 remind of the lousy ones.....all u guys out there that played football know exactly what I'm talking about.

EXACTLY. We KNOW what Hoyer brings to the table. Mallet still needs time to KNOW for sure what he brings. Hence upside. I want to be 100 % sure he CAN'T improve any further before I turn over this team to a placeholder.

If he sucks we took a shot, it didn't work out, oh well. If we just give up on him this soon why the hell did we even bring him back? We should of drafted a qb. This is a wasted year on another guy (hoyer) who we all know is definitely not the answer going forward.

With this kind of decision making we will be saying the same thing about Watt as we did about Andre Johnson. To bad he wasted his great career on such shitty teams.
So True.....

A good leader does not undermine those he leads. They teach. They challenge. They push. They reinforce not knock down.

OB is not a good leader.

What he's done is crappy for all 3 QBs...and the team knows it.
I truly believe there are guys on this MB that have more sense about coaching than Obrien & Godsey will ever have. Why are these guys getting paid millions of dollars? What a waste of money.....

I truly believe there are guys on this MB that have more sense about coaching than Obrien & Godsey will ever have. Why are these guys getting paid millions of dollars? What a waste of money.....

I know there are guys on this MB that are better talent evaluators than Smith.

Back