Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This is nothing new. Easterby was O'Brien's wingman on the worst contract negotiations and the purging of guys like the cap guy. He kept his job while placing all of the blame for the bad personnel moves and contracts on BOB. On the Tunsil and Watson contracts he was right there smiling like a proud parent. Tunsil didn't even have an agent and still got them to over pay. They are the ones who gave Watson that no-trade clause.

The revisionists want to paint him as this white knight who came to the Texans to clean house when the reality of the situation is he and BOB were opportunists who took advantage of the McNairs. Fans get sidetracked by this Watson fiasco. But make no mistake about it. Easterby and BOB were joined at the hip and they along with Watson and Cal are the primary reasons for the mess the Texans are in.

That's the reason some people view him as a villain and why it annoys others that he is still employed by the Texans. It also doesn't help when recently signed players mention his name as being one of the people responsible for signing them.

I give up.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I meant many folks including myself have been adamant in their beliefs that no deal/trade would happen involving DW4 until after his legal issues were resolved.
You know I've said all along that there will be no deal until his legal issues are resolved ... because the odds are stacked against him in both the civil and criminal cases. Odds are he pays off in the civil suits. Odds are he is found guilty of "something" and that there will be sanctions by the NFL.

Thing is , all it takes is one GM to get desperate risk his job to make a deal , particularly one who feels he's going to lose his job anyway. That guy has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Don't take that as backtracking - I stand by my original statement that he won't be traded (this year).

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You know I've said all along that there will be no deal until his legal issues are resolved ... because the odds are stacked against him in both the civil and criminal cases. Odds are he pays off in the civil suits. Odds are he is found guilty of "something" and that there will be sanctions by the NFL.

Thing is , all it takes is one GM to get desperate risk his job to make a deal , particularly one who feels he's going to lose his job anyway. That guy has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Don't take that as backtracking - I stand by my original statement that he won't be traded (this year).
Yea that's solid and I agree with you in that I also still think the Nov trade deadline will come & go with DW4 remaining as an employee of the Houston Texans.

badboy

Hall of Fame

A GM on the hot seat needing his job to be saved by a franchise QB that wants to come to his team and who's owner wants that franchise QB to come to his team.

mussop

Hall of Fame

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Report: Houston Texans told another team it has to beat Miami Dolphins’ offer to land Deshaun Watson

Stopped reading at Jay Glazier.

zshawn10

All Pro
I don’t think Texans GM Nick Caserio is going to panictrade Deshaun Watson. At this point, Houston’s carried Watson on its roster for three months with Watson coming into the building for work without really being a member of the team. So it’s not like the awkwardness is going to suddenly shake anyone there. And Caserio also has to know that there’d be football reasons for waiting until January or February. One would be that any further clarity from the legal system or the league could boost Watson’s trade value (though there’s risk it could go the other way too). Another would be that the Texans would know where the 2022 picks they get in return are going to be in the draft order. Third, there’d almost certainly be more suitors then than there are now, since some teams that don’t necessarily need a quarterback right now might decide to look for an upgrade (Giants? Browns? Saints? Steelers?), like the Niners and Rams did last winter. So I’d expect that Caserio will hold interested teams to his price (three first-rounders, plus additional picks and/or players), mostly because Caserio knows this will likely become the defining move of his time in Houston. A few other things to keep in mind …

• Ownership will play a role on the buyer side. For some teams, the allegations of sexual misconduct make a Watson trade a non-starter. But other teams have owners who are consumed with finding a franchise quarterback (I’d put the Panthers in that category), to the point where the owner could drive a trade for Watson.

• Ownership could play a role on the seller side too. My understanding is that both sides view the relationship between Texans owner Cal McNair and Watson as irreparable. It’s certainly possible now that McNair would nudge Caserio to turn over every rock on a potential pre-deadline trade, because he just wants it to be over with.

• As we wrote in Friday’s GamePlan, the league has been vague with teams (and specifically owners) on whether it would move to put Watson on the exempt list if he’s traded. That, of course, doesn’t mean it will happen. It’s just been a factor in the pace of talks.

• I’ve had people in the Texans’ building tell me Watson has handled the situation very professionally the last three months—I even had David Culley say that to me a few weeks ago. That’s obviously made the situation more palatable for people working there, and might make another team feel more comfortable trading for him.

So we’ll see what happens. We’ve got eight days until the trade deadline, and there’s a league meeting in New York this week (we’ll get into that more in a bit), which will put some of the key players in this together in one place. And one last thing, and I’ve said this a bunch: I don’t want to minimize the seriousness of the allegations here, nor do I think it’s fair to convict Watson here, either. I think it’s important that we all let the legal piece of this play out. And as for whether Watson gets back on the field while that’s still ongoing? We should know more within about a week.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
McClain isn't on the outs with the franchise in any way .... No one is out to get any revenge.

If anything , he was doing them a favor in drawing attention to the situation - Team X is about to pull the trigger , if you want him on your team - you have to up the ante.

You guys really need to stop listening to those clowns on 610 who try to make every single situation about Jack Easterby .... They are so far from the truth its comical.

Easterby isn't the devil those guys make him out to be .... That dude is all but inconsequential.

Two problem individuals - Watson and OB. One is gone , the other may as well be.

The mistake that crippled this franchise was Watson and they did everything humanly possible to resolve that situation .... Problem was Watson did everything he could to screw it up.
If this is the case, why is Easterby still employed by the Houston Texans? :um:

I don't buy that he went from O'Brien partner to interim GM and is now just handing out high fives and juice boxes.

But whatever, the Texans owners are going to do what they are going to do, and we will just continue to laugh and be amused by their incompetence.

In Caserio we trust. It's all we've got.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You can go play football in Philadelphia or you can sit on the bench in Houston? What it's going to be? The Texans also have a no trade clause that no one is talking about.

Oops, just saw the article DW4 would not waive no trade clause for Philly. Time to play hardball!
I think Watson and his agent will come to the conclusion that playing football and getting paid is their best move regardless of where it’s at. He might be stamping license plates for 6 to 12 months and I would gather that if that day comes, he’ll be fully cognizant that his once lucrative contract would be gone, he’ll understand that he’s probably going to get sued by the Texans for the signing bonus given to him, he’s going to be re-starting his career, and the money paid by the state for stamping those plates probably won’t put a dent in his sudden but consuming debt load. If I was Caserio……that’s the scenario I’d lay out for him if he’s trying to be thorn.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Watson and his agent will come to the conclusion that playing football and getting paid is their best move regardless of where it’s at.
This is the same prima-donna diva player that thought he deserved to pick the new head coach and GM. He's arrogant and selfish.

I lost all respect for the guy when he started acting like a little witch just a few months after signing a $111 million guaranteed contract.

I'm not sure that the same arrogant attitude is going to just accept being a mere QB on a random NFL team. He appears to believe that he's entitled to a part of management decisions and pouts and refuses to play when he does not get his way.

OptimisticTexan

This is the same prima-donna diva player that thought he deserved to pick the new head coach and GM. He's arrogant and selfish.

I lost all respect for the guy when he started acting like a little witch just a few months after signing a $111 million guaranteed contract.

I'm not sure that the same arrogant attitude is going to just accept being a mere QB on a random NFL team. He appears to believe that he's entitled to a part of management decisions and pouts and refuses to play when he does not get his way.
I’m with you…..turn the screws and let him know that there’s no guarantees for the future. Just know this….if the court verdict doesn’t go your way, that contract is getting torn up immediately and we will be coming after that signing bonus. This will not end good for you.

On the other hand, you get found innocent and we’ll trade you as quickly as possible so you can become another teams problem.

Texansballer74

The Marine

We’re in a world of entitlement. I was one of his biggest fans. But like you I’ve lost all respect for him as well. The way this world works sometimes, this joker will not get his just do. He’s not catching any heat but garnishing all types of positive press from the media. These rumors of a trade will continue until he’s traded. Once he’s traded they will praise him for getting out of a nasty situation and getting away from a very terrible organization.

Watt basically confirms all of their suspicions with his interview talking about the reason he left.

Last edited:

sandman

Brexit Advisor

It has worked for every NBA superstar, so I am sure this will start to be commonplace in the NFL as well.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Yes .... couldn't think of his name to save my life.

He did a hell of a job , I'm still confused as to why he was let go.
This one was on Easterby. He believed that he was more than qualified to take over the position since he had served as an intern in the salary cap administration of the Jacksonville Jaguars..............a summer of 2004 intern.............a position he obtained right out of college.

1635201215997.png

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m with you…..turn the screws and let him know that there’s no guarantees for the future. Just know this….if the court verdict doesn’t go your way, that contract is getting torn up immediately and we will be coming after that signing bonus. This will not end good for you.

On the other hand, you get found innocent and we’ll trade you as quickly as possible so you can become another teams problem.
I hear ya', man. At this point, I'm good with the Texans getting what they can right now just to get away from the dude.

I understand that there is potential to get more for him after the season, but like you said, there is also potential they get nothing if he's found guilty of assault.

We’re in a world of entitlement. I was one of his biggest fans. But like you I’ve lost all respect for him as well. The way this world works sometimes, this joker will not get his just do. He’s not catching any heat but garnishing all types of positive press from the media. These rumors of a trade will continue until he’s traded. Once he’s traded they will praise him for getting out of a nasty situation and getting away from very terrible organization.

Watt basically confirms all of their suspicions with his interview talking about the reason he left.
Nailed it. I was a huge fan with you. Last year this time I remember sitting through a terrible season but having the attitude that at least we have our QB and finding a new HC will be much easier since we have a star QB. It's still a bit bizarre to see how quickly it all turned sour, and then it just descended into nightmare world when the allegations started right after all that front office drama.

It has worked for every NBA superstar, so I am sure this will start to be commonplace in the NFL as well.
All NFL fans should be worried that this becomes a trend. But, that said, the lack of fully guaranteed contracts probably helps to prevent that attitude from taking hold in the NFL.

We saw two other franchise QBs float the idea of being traded, and both are still on their teams (Rodgers and Wilson).

Stafford got away, but that sounds like it was more a personal favor from the owner more than anything else.

Watson is the first QB that I can recall that pulled this stunt just months after getting paid. I just hope the Texans learned a lesson of never offering a NTC to any contract. Team first, always!

mws

Rookie
Once he’s traded they will praise him for getting out of a nasty situation and getting away from very terrible organization.
Not only that but he'll get credit for making good on a second chance.

It is sad when you see talented people lose their career from injury. Somehow it bothers me more to see them just piss it away through stupidity. No matter where Watson goes in his football career this will hang around his neck like a stone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not only that but he'll get credit for making good on a second chance.

It is sad when you see talented people lose their career from injury. Somehow it bothers me more to see them just piss it away through stupidity. No matter where Watson goes in his football career this will hang around his neck like a stone.
It should be a mission statement from fans to make sure this hangs around his neck for the rest of his life. POS

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No matter where Watson goes in his football career this will hang around his neck like a stone.
If I were his lawyer I would tell him to make sure he goes to a "winning" team. Nobody's going to care once he's putting up highlight reels on a winning team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I hear ya', man. At this point, I'm good with the Texans getting what they can right now just to get away from the dude.

I understand that there is potential to get more for him after the season, but like you said, there is also potential they get nothing if he's found guilty of assault.

Nailed it. I was a huge fan with you. Last year this time I remember sitting through a terrible season but having the attitude that at least we have our QB and finding a new HC will be much easier since we have a star QB. It's still a bit bizarre to see how quickly it all turned sour, and then it just descended into nightmare world when the allegations started right after all that front office drama.

All NFL fans should be worried that this becomes a trend. But, that said, the lack of fully guaranteed contracts probably helps to prevent that attitude from taking hold in the NFL.

We saw two other franchise QBs float the idea of being traded, and both are still on their teams (Rodgers and Wilson).

Stafford got away, but that sounds like it was more a personal favor from the owner more than anything else.

Watson is the first QB that I can recall that pulled this stunt just months after getting paid. I just hope the Texans learned a lesson of never offering a NTC to any contract. Team first, always!

Things went bad right after the power struggle between Smith and O’Brien.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This one was on Easterby. He believed that he was more than qualified to take over the position since he had served as an intern in the salary cap administration of the Jacksonville Jaguars..............a summer of 2004 intern.............a position he obtained right out of college.

View attachment 9249
Sigh.... So, an overly ambitious Easterby with only salary cap experience making copies for the Jags in 2004 was able to convince the McNairs that he could manage the salary cap better than a current employee who had 13 years of experience and previously worked for the league office analyzing player contracts and the CBA?

This franchise is doomed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sigh.... So, an overly ambitious Easterby with only salary cap experience making copies for the Jags in 2004 was able to convince the McNairs that he could manage the salary cap better than a current employee who had 13 years of experience and previously worked for the league office analyzing player contracts and the CBA?

This franchise is doomed.
Is Easterby still doing contracts?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Oops, just saw the article DW4 would not waive no trade clause for Philly. Time to play hardball!
So the Eagles will be willing to trade a king's ransom for a QB that doesn't want to play for them?

What would a good GM do in a situation like this? He would tell the player's agent what his terms for a trade are, and allow the agent to broker a deal with the team that meets the terms. Puts the pressure on the player to make a deal.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If I were his lawyer I would tell him to make sure he goes to a "winning" team. Nobody's going to care once he's putting up highlight reels on a winning team.
Going to Miami may be an untapped playground for Watson, but expecting the Dolphins to suddenly miraculously turn around to become a "winning team" by his presence alone, would be just another career decision consistent with all of his other poor life choices. The Miami front office rivals the Texans for a long list of bonehead decisions. Giving up all their high picks would leave their future picked bare, no matter who their QB is. QB is far from the only thing keeping the Dolphins from being a consistently competitive team. An environment laden with short-sightedness is exactly where Watson would no doubt enjoy a feeling of a mutual comfort zone...............and mutual failure.

OptimisticTexan

You know, teams may be interested in trading for Watson “now” b/c they may feel the price is at its lowest. If any team feels that Watson may be innocent or at worst get hit with a misdemeanor that requires a 3-6 month jail sentence or probation may feel they can live this based on the price they would pay today versus what they could pay later. Maybe the gain far outweighs the risk for some teams.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
In the day of both woke culture and cancel culture, it will be very interesting to see how an acquiring team would spin this on social media even if no charges were ever brought against him and he settled on the civil cases. I mean, we have a team in the league without a nickname in an effort to be woke and a coach was literally cancelled due to old emails.

But as someone pointed out, winning for MY team seems to make all problems go away with fans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
expecting the Dolphins to suddenly miraculously turn around to become a "winning team" by his presence alone, would be just another career decision consistent with all of his other poor life choices. The Miami front office rivals the Texans for a long list of bonehead decisions.
I agree. But they were 10-6 without him. I'm sure his peoples convinced him they could be a contender with him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In the day of both woke culture and cancel culture, it will be very interesting to see how an acquiring team would spin this on social media even if no charges were ever brought against him and he settled on the civil cases. I mean, we have a team in the league without a nickname in an effort to be woke and a coach was literally cancelled due to old emails.

But as someone pointed out, winning for MY team seems to make all problems go away with fans.
That's always been the case. Fact is just as quickly as something can go viral and spin out of control, it can largely go away too. The world and americans on the whole have short memories and there's always another story that will eventually take over.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Going to Miami may be an untapped playground for Watson, but expecting the Dolphins to suddenly miraculously turn around to become a "winning team" by his presence alone, would be just another career decision consistent with all of his other poor life choices. The Miami front office rivals the Texans for a long list of bonehead decisions. Giving up all their high picks would leave their future picked bare, no matter who their QB is. QB is far from the only thing keeping the Dolphins from being a consistently competitive team. An environment laden with short-sightedness is exactly where Watson would no doubt enjoy a feeling of a mutual comfort zone...............and mutual failure.
Dexter will be waiting for him there.