Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would prefer to keep Watson but he doesn’t want to be here so if we trade him I hope this is the type of deal we get. My concern is what Caserio does with the picks especially if Osteensterby sticks his snout in the mix.
I have the same concerns

But atleast there's chance.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
If NC's good at his job he can

Who knows how good he can be, but he's definitely got talent and Steve Young vouches for him. It's worthy of the 2nd pick. IMHO

What I like most about him is the mental toughness. He battled through injury and has come out as a guy that's worth the 2nd pick in the draft. In fact I may be the only guy out there that thinks he can be as good or better than Lawrence. They have similar skillsets.
I'm all in
1611973257659.png

mussop

Hall of Fame
If NC's good at his job he can

Who knows how good he can be, but he's definitely got talent and Steve Young vouches for him. It's worthy of the 2nd pick. IMHO

What I like most about him is the mental toughness. He battled through injury and has come out as a guy that's worth the 2nd pick in the draft. In fact I may be the only guy out there that thinks he can be as good or better than Lawrence. They have similar skillsets.
he’s the most NFL ready QB in this draft IMO. Yes, more ready than Lawrence there I said it.

wildroot

Rookie
32 yr old Matt Stafford traded to LA Rams for 2 1st round picks, a 3rd and Geoff.
25 yr old DW4 should be worth at the very least twice that haul!
If traded to Miami or NYJ, I still say I want 1st 3 rounds of picks for the next 3 years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Every year I look at the Houston Texans & I see Super Bowl contender. Then the season starts & I hold out hope against hope any given Sunday, legends are made in the playoffs. Then that divisional game comes & I see we never had a chance.

Some years it comes earlier but basically the same thing.

This year, it’s not me. It’s you guys with your grand sense of delusion. You think the Texans are an apex predator, roaming the seas looking for some poor guppy to devour.

But that’s not going to happen. You know it’s not going to happen, but you hope. Knowing you will be let down.

Just like they let you down giving up a 3rd round pick for Duke. Hopkins for David Johnson. Clowney for peanuts.

I’ll be surprised (& you will be too, though you may not be ready to admit it yet) if we get more than Detroit just did.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
I'm thinking about Watson's no trade clause. I'm not sure he would go to the Jets (bad franchise) that has to give up 2-3 years of top picks to get him - that's not a recipe for winning. My guess he vetoes that. With that said, there are rumblings of NE wanting Garropollo back. What about a 3 team trade that goes something like this:

NE - gets - Garropollo
- gives - 2021 1 (#15) and 2
- 2022 3

SF - gets - Watson, Mercilus
- gives - 2021 1 (#12), 2, 3
- 2022 1, 2, 3,

Texans - get - 2021 SF 1 (#12), NE 1 (#15), SF 2, NE 2, SF 3
- 2022 SF 1, 2, 3, NE 3
- give - Watson, Mercilus

--------------------------
Texans get Mercilus' terrible contract off the books and assuming Texans could trade Watt for a 3 we would then have the following picks over next 2 years:
2021 - 2 1s (#12, #15), 2 - 2s, 3 - 3s
2022 - 2 1s, 2 2s, 3 3s
we don't have a QB in this scenario but would go from 4 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2021/2022 to 14 picks. We could take a QB at #12 or #15 and have him on a rookie contract and get a cheaper veteran. Getting Watt, Watson, Mercilus off cap would almost fix our cap overnight. After a rough 2021 transition year on the field and in dead cap we could be poised to "pop" again starting in 2022 if we find a decent QB.

Last edited:

wildroot

Rookie
If Watson wanted to be traded, he'd have given Casario a list if teams he'd agree to. But not knowing how a NTC works, is it a matter of him releasing the Texans from the NTC, so it's either in the contract or not? Or does he get to dictate where he wants to go? I would think it's a matter of the NTC is in the contract or not, end of discussion. If it's not in the contract, he goes where we send him. But either way, he hasn't released us from the NTC so think about that.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I feel pretty sure the Agent Orchestrated this whole fiasco. He is working on BIG contracts for DW4 in a major market of which he gets a cut. NY would bring in a lot of marketing money...
I have it on good source that Watson's agent David Mulugheta's agenda from the beginning was to break the restriction of player mobility from team to team. He started his aspirations with Jalen Ramsey, but Ramsey's situation was not ideal, as he wasn't under a gargantuan contract and leverage was not there. His anticipation, if now successfull with Watson, is to cascade this into a huge payload of new clients dying to sign with him.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Thakns for posting - if that is successful it will break the NFL - the NFL can't survive with players moving the way they do in the NBA.

Takes a little more fine-tuning in the NFL than find three superstars who will work together and collect championships.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I have it on good source that Watson's agent David Mulugheta's agenda from the beginning was to break the restriction of player mobility from team to team. He started his aspirations with Jalen Ramsey, but Ramsey's situation was not ideal, as he wasn't under a gargantuan contract and leverage was not there. His anticipation, if now successfull with Watson, is to cascade this into a huge payload of new clients dying to sign with him.
Not surprised by this. Makes sense why Mulugheta is pushing NYC. Forget the income tax difference. I can see DM telling DW4 he can be the next Michael Jordan, making more money from endorsements than he does from the NFL. This will result in some serious ramifications in new contracts such as all signing bonuses must be returned, players must sit out a year or more if they dishonor a contract. No more no trade clause. Billionaire Boys Club will exact their revenge.

MeatBear77

Rookie
Every year I look at the Houston Texans & I see Super Bowl contender. Then the season starts & I hold out hope against hope any given Sunday, legends are made in the playoffs. Then that divisional game comes & I see we never had a chance.

This year, it’s not me. It’s you guys with your grand sense of delusion. You think the Texans are an apex predator, roaming the seas looking for some poor guppy to devour.

But that’s not going to happen. You know it’s not going to happen, but you hope. Knowing you will be let down.

Just like they let you down giving up a 3rd round pick for Duke. Hopkins for David Johnson. Clowney for peanuts.

I’ll be surprised (& you will be too, though you may not be ready to admit it yet) if we get more than Detroit just did.
I heard on the sports radio that bears would give Texans safety Eddie Jackson and OLB Khalil Mack and 2 firsts for Watson N Watt.

Last edited:

nycdan

Practice Squad
I heard on the sports radio that bears would give Texans safety Eddie Jackson and OLB Khalil Mack and 2 firsts for Watson N Watt.
That would create over $30M in dead cap for the Bears. And taking Watt and Watson's contracts add $28M in salary offset by $7M in savings for the Bears, who are already $10M over. I think that would be nearly impossible no matter how many other deals they restructured.

But putting that aside for the moment, it would leave HOU without a realistic option at QB. Would you want that deal?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
32 yr old Matt Stafford traded to LA Rams for 2 1st round picks, a 3rd and Geoff.
25 yr old DW4 should be worth at the very least twice that haul!
If traded to Miami or NYJ, I still say I want 1st 3 rounds of picks for the next 3 years.
They got that many 1st rd picks because they took Goff's contract off of the Rams hands.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I don’t get it. Today, things being what they are, a guy could be in Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis & get all the endorsements he wants. We’ve seen it happen.
Think # of fans, think #of eyeballs. The NYC market dwarfs the HOU market. In NYC DW4 will be a much bigger star than he is in HOU. Which will have a much bigger draw for advertisers. Also WINNING plays a BIG part in advertising, advertisers don't want to be promoting a LOSER. By all accounts the Texans are setup to be LOSERS for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also WINNING plays a BIG part in advertising, advertisers don't want to be promoting a LOSER. By all accounts the Texans are setup to be LOSERS for the next couple of years.
Signed,
Baker Mayfield

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Hey just because I watch the instant replay and think "Maybe this time he'll make it." doesn't mean I'm delusional. :kitten:

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am not interested in Mayfield and prefer Tua tag Who is younger And in a better contract situation than Mayfield . Also I think we would get a lot more along with Tua tag.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Didn’t read article but at this point I would take two firsts and a second.

Is that break even on what we spent on him? The trade to get rid of Osweiller and the trade to get him from the Browns.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Didn’t read article but at this point I would take two firsts and a second.

Is that break even on what we spent on him? The trade to get rid of Osweiller and the trade to get him from the Browns.
I think the NFL may suspend Watson for at least 8 games. I wonder how many teams will want only half this first season?
That may drop his value to two 1sts and a second.
If that is the case;
Jags have - 1, 25, 33.
Jets have - 2, 23, 34.
Miami has - 3, 18, 36.
If you could get one of those this year, it would help ease the pain.
And get them to add a backup QB into the deal. Finlay is really a third stringer.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If the Texans managed to trade Watson before this came out. If the other team had knowledge that the Texans knew. Could they void the trade?

Maybe the Texans did not pull the trigger cause it would comeback anyways and make em look bad?

Seems like they knew since the bob days. Seems pike easterby was just keeping an eye on these guys

I'm fairly certain that the trade could be voided ..... if it could be proven that the team knew Watson was involved in illegal activity.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think the absolute most optimistic scenario we can hope for is getting a portion of his salary back and associated cap relief.
No trade. No draft picks.
Only the hope of some cap space

I'm fairly certain that should he be found guilty of criminal charges the remainder of the contract will be void. We'll see cap relief.

The question is between now and finality one way or the other ..... and how long this drags out. He could remain on the exempt list for the duration of that time and get paid - what I don't know is if his contract would apply to the cap while on the commissioners exempt list.

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm fairly certain that should he be found guilty of criminal charges the remainder of the contract will be void. We'll see cap relief.

The question is between now and finality one way or the other ..... and how long this drags out. He could remain on the exempt list for the duration of that time and get paid - what I don't know is if his contract would apply to the cap while on the commissioners exempt list.
I said in another thread that Caserio seems to be operating as if he already knows he's going to get out from under at least some of Watson's cap money. Just my gut feeling

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Can the team suspend him before he is put on the exempt list and if he is suspended would he still get on the list? I'm just wondering because we've talked about before how being suspended means Texans can freeze his contract so would that be a way to avoid a cap hit until this plays out?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Can the team suspend him before he is put on the exempt list and if he is suspended would he still get on the list? I'm just wondering because we've talked about before how being suspended means Texans can freeze his contract so would that be a way to avoid a cap hit until this plays out?
I assume that they could suspend him right now for conduct detrimental but it's only 6 games.

I know someone made the statement before that 6 games per incident but I believe they would consider this entire episode a single incident for those purposes , not 14 separate incidents or whatever number we are at now.

I think you'd have to have two completely separate things to suspend twice to stop the contract from tolling.
Like if he refuses to show up for mandatory team activities .... then this issue second , after the first suspension was served.

badboy

Hall of Fame
May be time for Watson to retire
I am not ready for that at this time. I still want to see how it plays out over the next 30 to 60 days. It continues in my opinion to be the prosecutor play I got his side and we have not really heard from the defense yet. I do think Rusty Hardin is upset if Watson did delete any of his Instagrams or whatever it was. I am 100% sure that Harden would have instructed him not to do anything like that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Honest , Wilson joined Andrew Luck in retirement ?
I hesitated to post as was just Instagram.