Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is the single biggest thing that can change for this team to be MORE successful in 2020?

What is the single biggest thing that can change for this team to be MORE successful in 2020?

• Get a new General Manager.

• Get a new Head Coach.

• Get a new Offensive Coordinator.

• Get a new Quarterback.

• Full Rebuild.

• New Ownership.

• Other (Please state in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I am fairly new to these boards as I have spent most of my fandom on the "other" big board that is no longer in existence. What I have noticed is that posters here are as divided on certain topics as our country is on politics. That said, I want to pose a simple question just to see where the majority of our message board stands on this matter.

I am fairly new to these boards as I have spent most of my fandom on the "other" big board that is no longer in existence. What I have noticed is that posters here are as divided on certain topics as our country is on politics. That said, I want to pose a simple question just to see where the majority of our message board stands on this matter.

You should read the Politics Section of the board. :pursefight:

actually if you had insight into a particular contributors socio-political leanings alot of these posts make more sense! Deflect, Deny and when all else fails .. just lie!! LOL

Stats? Facts? Visual Aids? Nahhhhh just exist in subjectivity, pretend you dont see posts that contradict your opinion and then you will have this place all neatly wrapped up! I would say to go full Fascist and you might be taken more seriously around here by the ruling class! LOL

Now that we got the above out of the way, welcome to the TT board! If it's only one thing.... then vote has been cast, but it's all in them getting the correct one thing and not just any one thing. ;-)

Now that we got the above out of the way, welcome to the TT board! If it's only one thing.... then vote has been cast, but it's all in them getting the correct one thing and not just any one thing. ;-)
Thank you. I have been on here a few months now, I don't post all that often, mostly just come here to read opinions and get the latest news. Agree 100% on getting the "correct" one thing and not just any one thing. Makes sense to me.

I chose offensive coordinator. Bill's obviously going nowhere so of the three jobs that we know he holds, offensive coordinator is the area where I see the biggest potential to upgrade the team. A new play caller would be a hugely beneficial change. I look at what KC does and I have no doubt that Watson could excel in a similar style of offense. I just don't know that we'll ever see Bill adapt his system to truly fit Deshaun's skillset.

The best realistic hope for improvement is adding talent to the secondary and another pass rusher and play an overall more aggressive style of defense (ditch bend then break). And on the offensive side of the ball adding a slot receiver that can be on the same page with Watson. Our receivers and Watson need to improve/gel which is a possibility given that it takes a long time in the system to master it. BOB handing off play calling would help imo by giving him the opportunity to be freed up to manage the game better and hopefully Kelly would have a better feel for calling plays which I think is a real possibility. This is what my hopes are pinned on at least.

Free agent Brandon Scherff for Right Guard as it will allow Watson to be protected and increases play significantly. Also would allow Running back to go to that side of the field. Scherff would also improve play of Martin and returning right tackle Titus Howard. Better corners will help rush but that would be 2 moves.

This team needs a new Offensive mind. I've said all along that OB could be a "good enough" HC if he would do JUST THAT, be HC. The offense he designs is boring, predictable, and slow. Watson, Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, Duke, Hyde, and very capable TE's is a very good starting point for an explosive offense.

I don't need to expound on this, we all know what needs to be done. So my vote went to OC. I honestly think if OB put aside his OC duties he could be a good HC.

I honestly don't know what would be the single best move for the Texans to be more successful.

Maybe it is ownership.
Maybe DW is the problem (I dont believe it)
Maybe an OC magicly cures every woe.
Maybe a new HC or GM fixes everything
Maybe, the best thing in the long run is to set it all on fire and walk away.... that may help us in 2025 but I dont see that helping to have a more successful 2020.

I DO know I would be FAR more enthusiastic to see a 2020 season IF the Texans werent serving up the same thing, under the same leadership.... even if the season were to end at 0-16...under new leadership.... I would enter every game with hope and wonder... like a kid on Christmas.

With OB, even if I approach every game like an optimistic child on Christmas day...... its always gonna be socks or an ugly sweater from grandma.

Last edited:
This team needs a new Offensive mind. I've said all along that OB could be a "good enough" HC if he would do JUST THAT, be HC. The offense he designs is boring, predictable, and slow. Watson, Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, Duke, Hyde, and very capable TE's is a very good starting point for an explosive offense.

I don't need to expound on this, we all know what needs to be done. So my vote went to OC. I honestly think if OB put aside his OC duties he could be a good HC.

I went with OC as well …. tho I really don't mean it. I'd rather run OB outa town and have an entirely new staff but I know that's just not realistic.

Getting a dedicated OC and adding a different perspective to the offense is the next best thing to running them all outa town tarred and feathered.

New ownership …. I don't know what the McNair's are thinking when they look at the product on the field , maybe they just don't care as long as the seats are full or maybe they just don't know any better. I wonder if they read sites like this one ? Do they have any idea what fans really think of their coaching staff / GM / team in general ?!

Hell , can I change my vote to all of the above ?!

The new OC option is deceptive. If we had a HC who actually allowed the OC to take ownership of the offense, then I would vote for a new OC. In the end BOB will be the "unofficial" OC, regardless of who is OC, so I voted for a new HC.

with an injection of defensive talent and a brand new offensive coaching staff, system and philosophy- this team is a Super Bowl contender. Sadly, the current regime just things too highly of itself to make the necessary changes. It's King O'Briens Way or Off With Their Heads!!

Thanks for the input everyone. The majority of votes so far seem to be in favor of either a new OC or a new HC. And yes, you are correct, some of these don't seem like realistic choices to be made for the 2020 season. In my opinion, the choice that is in the lead so far, "New OC" is fully possible and we can only hope this is a change being discussed and soon to be announced. Cal has full authority to force this change, and SHOULD have made it mandatory upon bestowing O'Brien with the GM title. But did he? We shall see soon.

A new OC does nothing if he’s not allowed to bring his own offensive philosophy. If he has to run and call plays in OBs poorly designed offense, it isn’t going to matter much.
I completely agree with this. When I say we need a new OC, it is with the understanding that this OC installs "HIS" offense, and hopefully one that better fits our QB.

Last edited:
A new OC does nothing if he’s not allowed to bring his own offensive philosophy. If he has to run and call plays in OBs poorly designed offense, it isn’t going to matter much.

When I say change the OC Im also saying changed the entire offensive philosophy. Completely take the playbook out of O’Brien’s hands. Let him focus on head coaching and General manager duties.

Simply put, DW4 has to take the next step. He does that, the play called and decisions BoB makes that folks don't like don't matter nearly as much...period.

Except it does matter. This offense is so complex that players are thinking too much in it. There's so much to it that they're not able to get sufficient reps to make it 2nd nature to them. That IS a hindrance. The missed assignments on the line, the bad routes, a lot of that is on having too much going on, thus not getting the adequate reps to make it 2nd nature and help eliminate a lot of those mistakes.

A majority of the time when this offense makes positive plays, it's off-script plays because of the athleticism of Watson.

It's not about the plays that are called, it's the design of the offense. Kelly, Godsey, O'Brien...doesn't matter who is calling the plays if it's the same complex, always has you thinking instead of reacting, offense that's been here for 6 years.

Except it does matter. This offense is so complex that players are thinking too much in it. There's so much to it that they're not able to get sufficient reps to make it 2nd nature to them. That IS a hindrance. The missed assignments on the line, the bad routes, a lot of that is on having too much going on, thus not getting the adequate reps to make it 2nd nature and help eliminate a lot of those mistakes.

A majority of the time when this offense makes positive plays, it's off-script plays because of the athleticism of Watson.

It's not about the plays that are called, it's the design of the offense. Kelly, Godsey, O'Brien...doesn't matter who is calling the plays if it's the same complex, always has you thinking instead of reacting, offense that's been here for 6 years.

I don't believe this to be the case at all. The offensive material is no doubt dense, but the players who are thinking too much are the players with less than 1 year in the system...the core guys who have been here (DW4, Nuk, Fuller, Miller) haven't shown any chemistry issues with DW4, or it being too complex for them to grasp after year 1...well, except Coutee. & b/c The Texans under BoB have basically had to add a key skill guy every year he's been here b/c of the poor drafting, depth and FA acquistions of the past & 1st parts of the current regimes, I think that's what everyone hones in on....& in that regard you don't hamstring your entire offense b/c 1 or 2 guys can't grasp it...

Aside from that, the main person that facilitates building that chemistry and comfortability within the offense is the qb. DW4 has to take that next step in trusting in those guys enough to get them the ball when he should instead of looking for the big play or the 1-2 guys he's comfortable with all the time.

Think about the best game DW4 played this year, the NE game. Think about what his mindset looked to be for most of that game. Taking what the defense gives you getting up off the ball fast & taking calculated shots when warranted. That's what needs to become his permanent mindset away from that "i gotta make the big play" mindset that he seems to be in more often than not..which causes him to hold onto the ball a little too long.

I don't believe this to be the case at all. The offensive material is no doubt dense, but the players who are thinking too much are the players with less than 1 year in the system...the core guys who have been here (DW4, Nuk, Fuller, Miller) haven't shown any chemistry issues with DW4, or it being too complex for them to grasp after year 1...well, except Coutee. & b/c The Texans under BoB have basically had to add a key skill guy every year he's been here b/c of the poor drafting, depth and FA acquistions of the past & 1st parts of the current regimes, I think that's what everyone hones in on....& in that regard you don't hamstring your entire offense b/c 1 or 2 guys can't grasp it...

Aside from that, the main person that facilitates building that chemistry and comfortability within the offense is the qb. DW4 has to take that next step in trusting in those guys enough to get them the ball when he should instead of looking for the big play or the 1-2 guys he's comfortable with all the time.

Think about the best game DW4 played this year, the NE game. Think about what his mindset looked to be for most of that game. Taking what the defense gives you getting up off the ball fast & taking calculated shots when warranted. That's what needs to become his permanent mindset away from that "i gotta make the big play" mindset that he seems to be in more often than not..which causes him to hold onto the ball a little too long.

Wade Smith & Cecil Shorts disagree. Shorts says the offense changes so much over the season that it's hard for anyone to be consistent.

No the main person is the coach and his coaching tree. They have to get better at delivering the philosophy at hand. You continue to put this on a youngster that’s been in the system for 3 years. Hopkins been in this system for 6 years and he’s still every so often running the wrong route. You’re consistently seeing receivers in the same area. We’re still seeing these long drawn out patterns. Cecil played in this system so I believe he knows what he’s talking about. That stuff isn’t made up. The offensive line routinely misses their blocking assignments. And yet we want to pile all that stuff on the quarterback. Yes he has to improve in a lot of areas. But so does that entire offensive unit. And that starts with coaching, mainly the HC/OC.

Wade Smith & Cecil Shorts disagree. Shorts says the offense changes so much over the season that it's hard for anyone to be consistent.

They'd have consistency issues anyway b/c again they've had to constantly add new skill guys every year since BoB has been here. Look at last year alone. 2 new additions in the backfield b/c you lost your starting rb in preseason. Both guys are completely different from each other in terms of what they bring to the table at that. New acquisiton outside b/c your 3rd WR is out hurt and isn't picking up the system. new additions to the o-line AGAIN...That's alot of change for 1 season.

We've seen the Pats offense have similar issues integrating new pieces to their offense...Sanu is just the latest of those guys that didn't fit all that well. Before him it was Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Josh Gordon...similarly at the RB & TE positions. The guy who brought it all together year after year though...TB12. DW4 isn't going to be TB12, but he can be better about getting those guys more comfortable with the offense.

Remind me again how long Smith and Shorts actually played under O'Brien?
They’re guys who’ve actually played the game and have been in systems other than OBs. Not saying to take their word as gospel. Just that what they’ve said makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. It’s the best explanation I’ve heard as to why this offense is as inconsistent as it is. It’s not the play calling, the play caller, or QB this or that, that we all like to complain about. It’s that this offense is a gigantic clusterfuck that doesn’t put players in the best position to succeed because it’s impossible to get enough reps in it to make it 2nd nature.

Mr Tex mentioned DW4, Nuk and such not having chemistry issues. I disagree. Nuk, of course, is a stud who knows nothing but this offense really, the full 6 years in it. Hell, Nuk had a 1,500 yard season with Hoyer, Mallet, Yates and Weeden chunking the rock to him. Easy to have chemistry with that dude. Everyone else, not so much. Lamar Miller? He's had one 1,000 yard season since he's been here and that was riddled with a 149 yard game one week, 20 yards the next, throughout the season. Inconsistent.

And funny that when we do get a former players perspective, it falls on deaf ears to those who’s narrative it doesn’t fit. Sure, that works the other way too, but I’ll put more weight on a player who has actually been in multiple systems and has something to compare it to. Most of those former players with TV gigs are nothing but hot air when they open their holes, but they are all usually spot on when it comes to x's and o's.

If you want to ignore it, that's fine. Give me a reason better than that as to why this offense is so inconsistent. And don't throw it all on the players because this roster has had some serious turnover the last 6 years, and the players that are plugged in and rotated out, don't really seem to matter much. It all still looks the same, other than Watson bailing things out off-script.

No the main person is the coach and his coaching tree. They have to get better at delivering the philosophy at hand. You continue to put this on a youngster that’s been in the system for 3 years. Hopkins been in this system for 6 years and he’s still every so often running the wrong route. You’re consistently seeing receivers in the same area. We’re still seeing these long drawn out patterns. Cecil played in this system so I believe he knows what he’s talking about. That stuff isn’t made up. The offensive line routinely misses their blocking assignments. And yet we want to pile all that stuff on the quarterback. Yes he has to improve in a lot of areas. But so does that entire offensive unit. And that starts with coaching, mainly the HC/OC.

Wade Smith didn't play in this system at all. Cecil Shorts played 1 year in it...with a terrible qb at that. & while his opinion holds a little weight...its just an opinion on what he sees................. from the outside looking in. Furthermore, route miscues happen all the time, even with veteran QB's and WR's...lastly, just b/c you see a guy not pick up an on-coming rusher doesn't always mean its on the o-line or the scheme. Most people who know what they're looking at put a fair number of DW4's sacks & hits on him. He and BoB need to get better, but here's the name of the thread:

And in that regard the "single BIGGEST thing" is DW4 taking the next step. If he doesn't, a new HC or someone else to call different plays just isn't going to matter as much.

someone else to call different plays just isn't going to matter as much.
I think this is where the board is divided, obviously.
Half think that with a new OC/offensive concept, Watson would take that proverbial "next step".

The other half think it isn't going to matter who is calling the plays or constructing the offense.

It makes for an interesting conversation, to say the least. I am of the opinion that OB's offensive "scheme" is not getting the best out of Watson. Maybe Watson isn't a "progression" QB. Maybe the O should be designed for him to have 2 reads. Not there, go. And this is where Watson does need to improve (I'll admit it, he wants to be hero too often). Use your legs kid, don't make the Oline pass block for 5, 6 seconds. Bad things happen.

So to the OP, I selected "New OC". Let OB be HC, and get better at HC things.

Thanks for the input everyone. The majority of votes so far seem to be in favor of either a new OC or a new HC. And yes, you are correct, some of these don't seem like realistic choices to be made for the 2020 season. In my opinion, the choice that is in the lead so far, "New OC" is fully possible and we can only hope this is a change being discussed and soon to be announced. Cal has full authority to force this change, and SHOULD have made it mandatory upon bestowing O'Brien with the GM title. But did he? We shall see soon.

For Cal to make that mandatory , you'd think he would have to see something wrong with what OB is doing on that side of the ball and if Cal saw something that gave him such pause - Why would he bestow OB with the GM job on top of HC and OC ? …. He wouldn't. He'd have gotten a GM and forced OB to get an OC.

The single most realistic change would be to upgrade overall talent by having a sucessful draft and getting solid talent with the majority of our picks, particularly our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round selections.

Adding to the secondary in both FA/Draft and a cover LB.

I know that's 2 things, but they both need to happen.

A change to a full out RPO offense would be my #1 priority. Let DW4 do what he does well.

Half think that with a new OC/offensive concept, Watson would take that proverbial "next step".

The other half think it isn't going to matter who is calling the plays or constructing the offense.

It makes for an interesting conversation, to say the least. I am of the opinion that OB's offensive "scheme" is not getting the best out of Watson. Maybe Watson isn't a "progression" QB. Maybe the O should be designed for him to have 2 reads. Not there, go. And this is where Watson does need to improve (I'll admit it, he wants to be hero too often). Use your legs kid, don't make the Oline pass block for 5, 6 seconds. Bad things happen.

So to the OP, I selected "New OC". Let OB be HC, and get better at HC things.

Exactly

Wade Smith didn't play in this system at all. Cecil Shorts played 1 year in it...with a terrible qb at that. & while his opinion holds a little weight...its just an opinion on what he sees................. from the outside looking in. Furthermore, route miscues happen all the time, even with veteran QB's and WR's...lastly, just b/c you see a guy not pick up an on-coming rusher doesn't always mean its on the o-line or the scheme. Most people who know what they're looking at put a fair number of DW4's sacks & hits on him. He and BoB need to get better, but here's the name of the thread:

And in that regard the "single BIGGEST thing" is DW4 taking the next step. If he doesn't, a new HC or someone else to call different plays just isn't going to matter as much.

Very simple isn't it.

This is why I think BOB should go full bore RPO. Do what DW4 does best. Obviously the weekly gameplan offense is something that DW4's struggling with. Play to his strengths.

It makes for an interesting conversation, to say the least.

Agreed as there are certainly examples on both sides of the coin. I'm on the opposite side though b/c I watch guys like Kirk Cousins who has been surrounded by great playcallers like Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay & now Gary Kubiak his entire career. Yet what is the narrative on him? He has yet to take the next step. You can see the same thing playing out in Chicago with Trubisky. Nagy was coach of the year 2 years ago & the offense looked pretty good largely b/c things were kept simple for Trubisky his rookie year....Nagy basically runs the same scheme as Reid so we know that's not an issue & he was thought of as a pretty good playcaller when he arrived in Chicago from KC. but their offense this year? Their passing offense is mostly horizontal and was a joke. Why you ask? B/c Trubisky can't hit the broad side of a barn past 10 yards. He has yet to take that next step & evolve as a passer. There are countless other examples around the league as well but those are just the 2 i could think of off the top of my head.

Then you have the opposite effect. Reid did some pretty good things with Alex Smith as his qb but could never get past the Divisional round with him. When he got a more evolved passer in Mahomes, his offense exploded overnight. Rarely if EVER do you see a situation where a good qb becomes a great one b/c he got a new playcaller or a new HC & the offense all of a sudden takes off. The qb is usually already an established stud or is a guy that was slept on if it does happen...& even then its rare that it happens this way as Brett Favre & Drew Brees are the only guys like that that i can think of.

For this offense & this team to get to that next level, DW4 has to take them there & it starts with him become more consistent.

Very simple isn't it.

This is why I think BOB should go full bore RPO. Do what DW4 does best. Obviously the weekly gameplan offense is something that DW4's struggling with. Play to his strengths.

Going full bore RPO is only limiting DW4's development imo & that's not the only thing he does really well. He is a very good passer. He just needs to become more consistent & his pocket presence needs to improve. Not to say he needs to be perfect every game he just can't have clunkers like he did against Carolina and Baltimore.

They’re guys who’ve actually played the game and have been in systems other than OBs. Not saying to take their word as gospel. Just that what they’ve said makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. It’s the best explanation I’ve heard as to why this offense is as inconsistent as it is. It’s not the play calling, the play caller, or QB this or that, that we all like to complain about. It’s that this offense is a gigantic clusterfuck that doesn’t put players in the best position to succeed because it’s impossible to get enough reps in it to make it 2nd nature.

Mr Tex mentioned DW4, Nuk and such not having chemistry issues. I disagree. Nuk, of course, is a stud who knows nothing but this offense really, the full 6 years in it. Hell, Nuk had a 1,500 yard season with Hoyer, Mallet, Yates and Weeden chunking the rock to him. Easy to have chemistry with that dude. Everyone else, not so much. Lamar Miller? He's had one 1,000 yard season since he's been here and that was riddled with a 149 yard game one week, 20 yards the next, throughout the season. Inconsistent.

And funny that when we do get a former players perspective, it falls on deaf ears to those who’s narrative it doesn’t fit. Sure, that works the other way too, but I’ll put more weight on a player who has actually been in multiple systems and has something to compare it to. Most of those former players with TV gigs are nothing but hot air when they open their holes, but they are all usually spot on when it comes to x's and o's.

If you want to ignore it, that's fine. Give me a reason better than that as to why this offense is so inconsistent. And don't throw it all on the players because this roster has had some serious turnover the last 6 years, and the players that are plugged in and rotated out, don't really seem to matter much. It all still looks the same, other than Watson bailing things out off-script.

I can answer why the gameplan offense is successful for the Pats and not so much for the Texans.

The Pats have had smart WR's/TE's/RB's. WR's Troy Brown/Edelman/Amendola/Welker/LaFell etc... TE's Gronk/ Football smart Hernandez/Watson. 3rd down RB's Faulk/White/Burkhead. The Texans not so much.

This doesn't even compare Brady to DW4. Brady has the mind that allows McDaniels to gameplan from week to week. DW4 is still trying to learn how to do this and because of this the offense is inconsistent from week to week. I'm of the mindset that BOB asking DW4 to do this is the wrong aproach since he's never had to do this in his life and just running a full bore RPO is the way to go because I dont think DW4 will ever truly understand the concept of the weekly gameplan offense and when things get tight he will always go back to what he's done his whole life. Look for the big play instead of taking what's there. In the RPO he's less likely to do this.

Going full bore RPO is only limiting DW4's development imo & that's not the only thing he does really well. He is a very good passer. He just needs to become more consistent & his pocket presence needs to improve. Not to say he needs to be perfect every game he just can't have clunkers like he did against Carolina and Baltimore.

I agree with you, but I haven't seen the development in 3 yrs that should've already happened to make me think DW4 can accomplish this. Is yr 4 the magic yr that DW4's throwing consistently accurately and with anticipation from the pocket. (I think not)

So if this is the case let DW4 do his thing and let the chips fall where they may.

Lol, so you're saying that constant turnover wouldn't lead to inconsistency? Well, i don't know what line of work you work in, but thats usually not how it goes.

You sound like a player.."well, you never played, so you don't know!" which is garbage & a cop out really. Fact is, I don't think anyone's dismissing Smith & Shorts' opinion (b/c that's what it is) about what they think is the issue. In fact, I think most would agree. But common sense would tell you that the issues on the offense stem from more than just the 1 thing folks here like to harp on b/c it fits the narrative de jour of the fanbase & houston sports radio. We've seen this same type of circular logic be used on the MB & on Houston sports radio by those same former pros & it turns out we & they were both wrong. See the "we just need a qb" debate.

Lamar Miller's lack of production is largely due to him just not being a bell cow back. He wasn't before in Miami, we gave him the opportunity here to try & become 1 & it has largely been a big bag of meh. Has next to 0 to do with scheme or playcalling and more to do with Miller not quite being what we thought he could be.

& for the love of god........Noone's throwing it ALL on the players! But lets be real, who has more influence on what happens between the white lines on Sunday's the coach or the players? Which of the 2 is more known to leverage what they've done on the field as proof that they deserve a new contract &/or pay raise? & which of the 2 gets all the praise when a spectacular play is made...scripted or unscripted? The players. So when **** isn't being executed right on the field, they should be the ones that take the lionshare of the blame. No coach calls a play expecting it to not be executed how it is taught in practice & no coach coaches his players on how to play badly.

Back