Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Want to remind everyone that for 2020 to Tunsil's cap hit is already at 10.350 million. Any contract amount for this season would have that subtracted. Remainder falls under new CBA team caps supposedly significant increases each year.
Not a bad position to be in.

Why aren't they adding 1-2 premium FA's?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not a bad position to be in.

Why aren't they adding 1-2 premium FA's?
100% agree. None of us are smarter than NFL evaluators but please; ridiculous to me some of the decisions they're making. $20 m cap after recent contracts signed. 10 to Tunsil. There are several RGs to draft to replace Fulton but if not why is Kelemete still on roster? Sheesh. I get the whole Obrien loyal to vets (pardon me Hop) thing but Senio? His $3.25 + the 10 could get at least one decent starter. Is there even one left out there that would help this roster? I know! After draft, some team will cut someone..it's happened before. Hasn't it? Won't it?

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I would think the Texans would start a little lower? They didn't want to pay Hopkins, yet first offer to Tunsil makes him the highest paid lineman in the NFL per year?

That was just smoke to cover up and give the media fake news. Like badboy just posted they could’ve gotten rid of Fulton or Kelemete, draft another lineman and given Hop what he requested. That stuff wasn’t going to mess up there great plan to over pay Tunsil.

texan279

Hall of Fame
That was just smoke to cover up and give the media fake news. Like badboy just posted they could’ve gotten rid of Fulton or Kelemete, draft another lineman and given Hop what he requested. That stuff wasn’t going to mess up there great plan to over pay Tunsil.
They could have just not signed Cobb or Murray and used that money. What BOB has done just confuses the hell out of me and pisses me off.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Man I know at least 5 die hards who have jumped ship. I see if we were getting Julio Jones in return. But man they got Cobb. Lmao
Yep. I'm out too. I've been a fan since they announced football was coming back to Houston. Haven't missed a game through the years. I've got so many shirts, towels, hats, koozies, blankets, jerseys, even cookware and a Gillette Texans razor. I'm done. I might pay attention again if BOB goes. Maybe. I can't support this dumpster fire anymore. I'm still gonna stick around the board, but that's about it. Maybe I'll become a Cardinals fan now...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I would think the Texans would start a little lower? They didn't want to pay Hopkins, yet first offer to Tunsil makes him the highest paid lineman in the NFL per year?
it’s not about not wanting to pay Hopkins. It’s about signing him to a 5 year extension then having him back at the table two years into the deal.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They could have just not signed Cobb or Murray and used that money. What BOB has done just confuses the hell out of me and pisses me off.
He didn't want Nuk on the team anymore and wanted draft capital. Why? we dont know the inner workings of the Texans org.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
THEY - (O'Brien), are not thinking .... THEY are reacting ! "Thinking" would imply things like logic, reasoning, rationality .... you know, common sense types of decision making ! O'Brien is not good at that. We call him arrogant, ill-tempered, egotistical, hot-headed, short-fused ....etc. Where I grew up, we don't know any better .... we just call someone like him an a$$hole ! Here's the scary thing .... he could be playin' way over his head !! What he's putting on, may be the best face he's got .... he's just way out of his league !! The good padre was brought on board to save him from himself .... but O'Brien is too much for him ! Kinda' like the Exorcist, where little Linda Blair, (Satan), throws an intensely praying young priest, out the window, and two stories down to his death !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
THEY - (O'Brien), are not thinking .... THEY are reacting ! "Thinking" would imply things like logic, reasoning, rationality .... you know, common sense types of decision making ! O'Brien is not good at that. We call him arrogant, ill-tempered, egotistical, hot-headed, short-fused ....etc. Where I grew up, we don't know any better .... we just call someone like him an a$$hole ! Here's the scary thing .... he could be playin' way over his head !! What he's putting on, may be the best face he's got .... he's just way out of his league !! The good padre was brought on board to save him from himself .... but O'Brien is too much for him ! Kinda' like the Exorcist, where little Linda Blair, (Satan), throws an intensely praying young priest, out the window, and two stories down to his death !
You feel this way because Hopkins was traded.

LMAO

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
And just to add to my point, Tunsil is a good lineman. But I do not think he deserves to be the top paid lineman in the NFL.

They offered him 18.5 and that wasn't enough to get his signature …. That's too damn much to begin with.

This was a bad deal from the word go.

I'd look to trade him and let some other team pay that huge cap hit and recover some of the assets you traded for him to begin with.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Nope, they aren't dysfunctional, they're doing what THEY think is best to bring a winner to Kirby.

What THEY think and most of the fanbase thinks are polar opposite. Obviously they aren't making decisions based on the fanbases thoughts.

They aren't making decisions based upon football either ….. Both Hopkins and Clowney were moved for personal (OB's) reasons - not football nor cap related.

To make it worse , they got the short end of the stick in both those deals …. and the Tunsil deal too and they'll continue to pay for that one for 5 years or more.

The less thinking THEY do …. the better.

Best thing that could happen to this franchise / fanbase is for McNair to sell the team and OB getting fired at the same time cause THEY are all clueless.

texan279

Hall of Fame
We keep Tunsil and have a good draft and I will be slightly molified.
I don't think
They offered him 18.5 and that wasn't enough to get his signature …. That's too damn much to begin with.

I'd look to trade him and let some other team pay that huge cap hit and recover some of the assets you traded for him to begin with.
My thought exactly. Why the hell would they start "the bidding" high?

texan279

Hall of Fame
He didn't want Nuk on the team anymore and wanted draft capital. Why? we dont know the inner workings of the Texans org.
Draft capital? He got a SECOND round pick? Does Hopkin's value REALLY equate to a second round pick AND an overpaid running back??? We know the inner workings of the Texans as far as BOB goes, and it's total ineptitude. This guy is trying to "build" a roster while totally wrecking it and making it worse. The guy is spending more money on less talent.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The last season was terrible. Man I was looking for an epic finale.
Except unlike GOT’s, previous Texans seasons never gave me the expectation that the 2019 season would end any differently than it did. If the Texans were a high budget television show, it either would have been canceled long ago or bankrupted the network footing the bill. The Texans exists only because of the strength of the NFL and the willingness of fanatics (fans) to hand them money just to disappoint them.

For me, and reading from others commenting about the Texans on this board and other social outlets, it’s like being in a loveless marriage but staying together for the kids. This board has become therapeutic for me, like venting to a friend about my bad marriage. But I won’t even look at another woman, and I even beat myself up over that!

If things don’t improve, I will leave. Because my feelings about the Texans (and myself for wasting my time with them) are going in the wrong direction.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Tunsil's trade value …. I don't think its near what the Texans gave up to get him , not with just this year left on the deal.

I think they get a mid first round pick and nothing more and that's if the other team can get him to agree to a deal before the trade. If the other team can't get him to agree to a long-term extension , they'll be lucky to get a 2nd from a team for a one year rental.

That cap hit is going to be 11-12% of the total cap.

badboy

Hall of Fame
100% agree. None of us are smarter than NFL evaluators but please; ridiculous to me some of the decisions they're making. $20 m cap after recent contracts signed. 10 to Tunsil. There are several RGs to draft to replace Fulton but if not why is Kelemete still on roster? Sheesh. I get the whole Obrien loyal to vets (pardon me Hop) thing but Senio? His $3.25 + the 10 could get at least one decent starter. Is there even one left out there that would help this roster? I know! After draft, some team will cut someone..it's happened before. Hasn't it? Won't it?
Draftwire now has Texans taking 2.57 Lloyd Cushenberry LSU and replacing Kelemete.
2.40 CB Jeff Gladney and 3.90 WR Michael Pittman from USC 6'4" 223 4.52 forty and vertical 36.5" compares to Courtland Sutton. Considered a "possession" receiver;football smart & can rub all route trees.

2019: 101 for 1275 yards @ 12.6 with 11 TDs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil's trade value …. I don't think its near what the Texans gave up to get him , not with just this year left on the deal.

I think they get a mid first round pick and nothing more and that's if the other team can get him to agree to a deal before the trade. If the other team can't get him to agree to a long-term extension , they'll be lucky to get a 2nd from a team for a one year rental.

That cap hit is going to be 11-12% of the total cap.
!. We've discussed the trade several times and a 25 yr old LT is worth a 1st, (Tunsil was the other 1st.)

2. Tunsil wasn't a 1 yr rental.

3. You wouldn't be able to draft another LT in this draft as good as Tunsil and if you could you would have to give up atleast two 1sts to get him. Tunsil is only 25 yrs old and should make great improvement over the next 5 yrs. (Looking at you Devlin)

4. Gotta pay for All Pro/Pro Bowl level players. Having the LT position solved for the next decade is a bad thing? Yes, he will be re-signed and he wont be taking up 11/12% of the cap once the new CBA kicks in next yr.

If you want to fault BOB there are 2 things to fault him for, (No not clock mgmt/Challenges, most coaches screw that up even though it's maddening) they are 1. Trading Nuk when his value was so low, of course there may be other reasons why he was traded in addition to the McNair's being cheapa$$e$. 2. 51-7

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Draftwire now has Texans taking 2.57 Lloyd Cushenberry LSU and replacing Kelemete.
2.40 CB Jeff Gladney and 3.90 WR Michael Pittman from USC 6'4" 223 4.52 forty and vertical 36.5" compares to Courtland Sutton. Considered a "possession" receiver;football smart & can rub all route trees.

2019: 101 for 1275 yards @ 12.6 with 11 TDs.
I would be very happy with Gladney at 40. I find it laughable that they think the Texans would draft an OL at 57. They obviously haven't seen what the Texans main weaknesses are, or who they've been interviewing at the Combine/Sr. Bowl. #Clueless

badboy

Hall of Fame

I have posted what if trades and his worth (this thread). Who is your left tackle if Tunsil traded? It immediately gives us $10.35 m cap. We have to get very high in draft to get a left tackle. Are you interested in trying Scharping there? After starting LG can he handle Tackle?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They aren't making decisions based upon football either ….. Both Hopkins and Clowney were moved for personal (OB's) reasons - not football nor cap related.

To make it worse , they got the short end of the stick in both those deals …. and the Tunsil deal too and they'll continue to pay for that one for 5 years or more.

The less thinking THEY do …. the better.

Best thing that could happen to this franchise / fanbase is for McNair to sell the team and OB getting fired at the same time cause THEY are all clueless.
What did Hopkins/Clowney have in common?

I've been wanting the McNair's to sell since 2010 and was ridiculed by many on this MB including your friend for this stance because the McNair's have always cared more about $$$$ than winning championships. BOB, like Slick Rick are just carrying out their wishes. Truth is not much has changed since Cal took the leadership role.

DW4's the reason Nuk's gone, how ironic. Gotta keep within the margins. Winning that cap championship, I called this 2 yrs ago.

Corporate BS and not conducive to winning championships. But great at making $$$$.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have posted what if trades and his worth (this thread). Who is your left tackle if Tunsil traded? It immediately gives us $10.35 m cap. We have to get very high in draft to get a left tackle. Are you interested in trying Scharping there? After starting LG can he handle Tackle?
And what rookie is going to come in and be immediately as good as Tunsil is? Particularly with Devlin coaching him up. LMAO

Texansballer74

The Marine
!. We've discussed the trade several times and a 25 yr old LT is worth a 1st, (Tunsil was the other 1st.)

2. Tunsil wasn't a 1 yr rental.

3. You wouldn't be able to draft another LT in this draft as good as Tunsil and if you could you would have to give up atleast two 1sts to get him. Tunsil is only 25 yrs old and should make great improvement over the next 5 yrs. (Looking at you Devlin)

4. Gotta pay for All Pro/Pro Bowl level players. Having the LT position solved for the next decade is a bad thing? Yes, he will be re-signed and he wont be taking up 11/12% of the cap once the new CBA kicks in next yr.

If you want to fault BOB there are 2 things to fault him for, (No not clock mgmt/Challenges, most coaches screw that up even though it's maddening) they are 1. Trading Nuk when his value was so low, of course there may be other reasons why he was traded in addition to the McNair's being cheapa$$e$. 2. 51-7
He said if we traded him to another team then he would be a one year rental for that particular team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I would be very happy with Gladney at 40. I find it laughable that they think the Texans would draft an OL at 57. They obviously haven't seen what the Texans main weaknesses are, or who they've been interviewing at the Combine/Sr. Bowl. #Clueless

There’s no coaches in this draft. That’s the Texans main weakness. Lol aka Delvin

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think

My thought exactly. Why the hell would they start "the bidding" high?
Because everybody knows he's going to be the the highest paid OL in the NFL probably going to end up at 20 mil. Starting at $500,000 over the highest paid OT in the NFL is a show of good faith negotiations. Geez have you ever negotiated anything?

texan279

Hall of Fame
Because everybody knows he's going to be the the highest paid OL in the NFL probably going to end up at 20 mil. Starting at $500,000 over the highest paid OT in the NFL is a show of good faith negotiations. Geez have you ever negotiated anything?
Yes, I have. The last truck I bought few years back, sticker price was about $43k. I didn't go to the salesman and tell him I wanted to pay $46k for it...

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Why would Tunsil negotiate knowing a new CBA and higher cap coming up?
assuming that was his agents strategy Texans (O’Brian) should have not made the trade. Pretty simple. Could not resign Clowney, Honey Badger, KJ now Hopkins. Have foreboding feeling, they won’t be able to resign Watson if agents are selling clients this same logic and Texans strategy cannot deal with this new paradigm. Tunsil trade sure has earmarks of an absolute blood bath of this front office blundering approach.