Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

Waker is just starting to scratch the surface of his ability. IMHO
Don't get me wrong, I like these guys, I just think if we stay at #3, I would hope we would get Hutchinson or Hamilton. Walker isn't even expected to go in the top 15. Sauce on the other hand, is projected as the 2nd best CB, and could go in the back half of the top 10. When picking this high, I don't want to take the chance on a guy that is "just starting to scratch the surface of his ability." There have been too many players that never did anymore than scratch the surface. When we drafted Clowney, I was against it. I wanted Mack. I always said Clowney had the talent to be one of the best, but I didn't see the effort. I was OK with drafting Amobi Akoye at #10 because I thought he was just starting to scratch the surface of his ability, but he never reached the potential I saw in him. I can't see going any higher than #10 for Walker.

Don't get me wrong, I like these guys, I just think if we stay at #3, I would hope we would get Hutchinson or Hamilton. Walker isn't even expected to go in the top 15. Sauce on the other hand, is projected as the 2nd best CB, and could go in the back half of the top 10. When picking this high, I don't want to take the chance on a guy that is "just starting to scratch the surface of his ability." There have been too many players that never did anymore than scratch the surface. When we drafted Clowney, I was against it. I wanted Mack. I always said Clowney had the talent to be one of the best, but I didn't see the effort. I was OK with drafting Amobi Akoye at #10 because I thought he was just starting to scratch the surface of his ability, but he never reached the potential I saw in him. I can't see going any higher than #10 for Walker.

I still like Hamilton and dont think Hutch will be there. Walker loves football that's the difference between him and Clowney/ oKoye. Plus believe it or not Walker is more athletically gifted.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one

I still like Hamilton and dont think Hutch will be there. Walker loves football that's the difference between him and Clowney/ oKoye. Plus believe it or not Walker is more athletically gifted.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one
I think the only thing we disagree on is where he should be drafted. I think #3 is too high for Walker. If Hamilton is there at #3, I think we have a good shot at trading back with NYG. Since they just released S Logan Ryan to clear cap space, they could be seriously interested in Hamilton. To be honest, I'd rather have the other Georgia DL than DE Travon Walker. I think there are better DE's that can be had later, but with trading the #3 to the Giants so they can get Hamilton, I wouldn't have any problems with taking DT Jordan Davis at either 5 or 7.

Last edited:
I think the only thing we disagree on is where he should be drafted. I think #3 is too high for Walker. If Hamilton is there at #3, I think we have a good shot at trading back with NYG. Since they just released S Logan Ryan to clear cap space, they could be seriously interested in Hamilton. To be honest, I'd rather have the other Georgia DL than DE Travon Walker. I think there are better DE's that can be had later, but with trading the #3 to the Giants so they can get Hamilton, I wouldn't have any problems with taking DT Jordan Davis at either 5 or 7.

If the Texans would up with the Falcons #8 pick….could get interesting since the Texans could put the #3 and #8 picks in play for additional picks in RD2 and later rounds.

I’m coming around on the idea that RD1 could be special if the Texans came away with:
WR- Chris Olave (Ohio St)
DB- Dax Hill (Michigan)

Both high speed players that execute their jobs well. Both are impact players on both sides of the ball from Day 1.

If he did…..his trade value would be in the shitter by the trade deadline. If they cut ties now, they could still get a RD1 for him.
This is why I think he either takes it easy to preserve his body (which hurts his ability to ask for big bucks) or he plays hard and takes a risk with injury but boosts his value.
I think the latter.

I was OK with drafting Amobi Akoye at #10 because I thought he was just starting to scratch the surface of his ability, but he never reached the potential I saw in him. I can't see going any higher than #10 for Walker.
Big difference between Amobi & Walker, Amobi was a DT, true 3 tech that we took & put in a 3-4.

Walker is a true 5 tech playing in a 3-4 that should be playing in a 4-3.

his production as a 3-4 DE is impressive. His combine workout was impressive. He’s going to be a monster in Lovie’s 4-3, especially if Greenard continues to improve & the push we’ve been getting up the middle.

Big difference between Amobi & Walker, Amobi was a DT, true 3 tech that we took & put in a 3-4.

his production as a 3-4 DE is impressive. His combine workout was impressive. He’s going to be a monster in Lovie’s 4-3, especially if Greenard continues to improve & the push we’ve been getting up the middle.

I don’t like taking guys that high that haven’t shown in college the skills they will be asked to do as a pro.

But if a guy like Walker is going to develop those skills, it will be with a coach like Lovie.

I’d just rather take someone that’s more of a sure thing.

The problem I see with Walker is that he is expected to add weight to play as a true DT in the NFL. I think he fits more as a 3-4 DE than he does as either a 4-3 DE or DT. If he adds weight, as expected, he would fit as a 4-3 DT, but as @Lucky said, I would rather have the guy that has already shown he can play the position.

I think I read somewhere that Tunsil wasn’t fetching a first rounder from the Bengals or other teams.

Do you think with Watson in that heated AFC division that the Bengals will now come back and give a first for Tunsil?

I think I read somewhere that Tunsil wasn’t fetching a first rounder from the Bengals or other teams.

Do you think with Watson in that heated AFC division that the Bengals will now come back and give a first for Tunsil?

It could be a situation where a team doesn’t get Terron Armstead and there is a run on OTs in the draft. Leading a team to up their price for Tunsil.

But most likely outcome is he plays for Houston this season.

Nope I imagine they will hustle Caserio. I would rather have tonsil.

I think I’d like to see us trade Tunsil now and trade down with the highest pick. This draft is just looking too good as a meat and potato one. Just what we need. I wouldn’t waste a possible injury to him if he stays. Giants perhaps?

You do know his production at GA was utterly puny right ? I mean if he's that talented he surely would have seen more snaps and consequently produced more sacks, TFLs, etc. than he did don't you think ?
And yes his combine performance was brilliant, even more impressive than what JDCs Combine efforts.
I'll say this though we now have a HC (also our DC) who's knowledge of defenses and also presumably defensive personnel
is atleast comparable to what we had with Wade Phillips who had the eye to identify the potential in JJ Watt so I'll trust him on
any decisions about drafting Walker.

Everybody is still on the trading Tunsil train.

Even though he got money pushed further out.

You guys need to realize Tunsil
He plays well, not a superstar but solid, my problem with him is that while you and I have been discussing him he’s committed 3 false start penalties!

He cut down on those after the 1st yr.

While we've been discussing him he made another pro bowl.

No trade for Tunsil this year $33+ dead $
I believe we now have ~$32 million in cap space, have seemingly done the majority of our business in FA, and Tunsil’s cap his of of $17.7m means it costs the Texans an extra $16m to trade him.
That is not undoable, especially if the restructure helps us get a pick in the 1st round for him, as a soft tank move to reset the cap book for 2023, when we will know if we have or are looking for a QB.
Not likely, but not impossible.

I believe we now have ~$32 million in cap space, have seemingly done the majority of our business in FA, and Tunsil’s cap his of of $17.7m means it costs the Texans an extra $16m to trade him.
That is not undoable, especially if the restructure helps us get a pick in the 1st round for him, as a soft tank move to reset the cap book for 2023, when we will know if we have or are looking for a QB.
Not likely, but not impossible.
I am hoping for another Pro Bowl for him with a high PFF rating. I think his injury and possibility of attitude upon not returning could have turned some teams off.

I am hoping for another Pro Bowl for him with a high PFF rating. I think his injury and possibility of attitude upon not returning could have turned some teams off.

I'm thinking the Calhoun's shut him down. It helped the tank.

1.3 Ekwonu LG
1.13 Cross RT replaces Tunsil at some point
2.37 Zion Johnson RG

3.68 DE/DT Cameron Thomas
3.80 Salyer train him at center but can play either Gs and RT
4.108 Brian Robinson1343 at 5 and14 TDs

Alternative selection

1-3 Neal
1-13 Davis
2-37 Sam Williams
3-68 Salyer
3-80 Strange
4-108 Calvin Austin or Velus Jones.

Big and fast. Fixes the You get the 2 biggest OL/DL in the draft. Fixes the OL/DL.

Fastest Edge in the draft and Austin/Jones are the 2 fastest slot guys. They're electric with the ball in their hands, a true chance to score anytime they touch the ball.

SI: Texans' Caserio on Improved Tunsil Relationship: 'Everybody Recalibrated'

After months of uncertainty, Houston Texans general manager Nick Caserio cleared the air with All-Pro left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

"Laremy is a good player and has been for an extremely long time," Caserio said Tuesday on Sports Radio 610. "Laremy can help us. And I think the most important thing is being committed to what we are doing as a team, and what we are doing as a program."

"The more players you have on your team like Laremy, the more your team can enhance what you are trying to do offensively," Caserio said. "I think last year was just a tough situation. I think everybody recalibrated. Laremy is in a good position. And hopefully, he is preparing himself for the 2022 season."

Full Article

"Recalibrated" is the word. I think it'll be the mindset going forward to try to mentally erase the past 24 months. lol :texflag:

"Recalibrated" is the word. I think it'll be the mindset going forward to try to mentally erase the past 24 months. lol :texflag:
Yep! Nick Caserio recalibrated his plans to trade Tunsil when he could not get round one pick for him. It also appears that Miami is working out a deal with Howard so he could not be part of a trade.

Not sure how closely how you followed Watson trade news but there were many links talking about trade proposals including players such as Cook and Tunsil being a part of or separate trades. Also as I assume you know most teams leak or are claimed to leak info to "insiders" so we mostly review that info and put hints together. Many if not most are completely wrong. For me I looked at many of these sources plus my own opinion such as dealing with Tunsil's high cap hits, not returning from injury as quickly as he could have in my opinion plus his skill set and value to other teams in dire need of left or right tackles.

As I and others have posted for months, I don't think Caserio would trade for less than a round one or equivalent such as corner X Howard.

Not sure how closely how you followed Watson trade news but there were many links talking about trade proposals including players such as Cook and Tunsil being a part of or separate trades. Also as I assume you know most teams leak or are claimed to leak info to "insiders" so we mostly review that info and put hints together. Many if not most are completely wrong. For me I looked at many of these sources plus my own opinion such as dealing with Tunsil's high cap hits, not returning from injury as quickly as he could have in my opinion plus his skill set and value to other teams in dire need of left or right tackles.

As I and others have posted for months, I don't think Caserio would trade for less than a round one or equivalent such as corner X Howard.

You stated that Caserio changed his mind about trading Tunsil because he couldn't get a 1st round pick as if it were a fact, instead of an opinion.
I was just asking for citation for the fact, which as far as I know, wasn't a fact.

Reactions: JB
I do not think that he was referring to Watson trade as his renewed Energy rather his new money in his checking account.

This would make sense too. And it would also make sense that if he were to be traded, his contract would have to be rewritten from the one O'Brien wrote in crayon.

Or you could listen to reason and realize that players who get re-structured rarely get traded in the 1st yr of the re-structure. It's doubtful that Tunsil gets traded next offseason either. Although I would draft Neal and re-visit maybe trading Tunsil next offseason.

No to Neal. No to Walker. No to Stingley.

I wouldn't be too freaked out about Walker at 13. I think he'll be a pretty good, but never truly a great player.

Neal will be a bust, at least in terms of draft position vs. production. Again - at 13...maybe. Personally I stay away totally.

Stingley I have off my board entirely. Unless he falls out of the 3rd round, forget it.

No to Neal. No to Walker. No to Stingley.

I wouldn't be too freaked out about Walker at 13. I think he'll be a pretty good, but never truly a great player.

Neal will be a bust, at least in terms of draft position vs. production. Again - at 13...maybe. Personally I stay away totally.

Stingley I have off my board entirely. Unless he falls out of the 3rd round, forget it.
What makes you off of these guys

I get why you might not like Walker, even though I do.

What makes you think Neal will be a bust? He was the best ol in the SEC. For a big man he's very athletic and moves really well.

Stingley most likely won't make it out of the 1st Rd, so you won't have to worry about Caserio picking him.

What makes you off of these guys

I get why you might not like Walker, even though I do.

What makes you think Neal will be a bust? He was the best ol in the SEC. For a big man he's very athletic and moves really well.

Stingley most likely won't make it out of the 1st Rd, so you won't have to worry about Caserio picking him.

very quickly…

Neal is Tunsil Jr. I want to get rid of Tunsil Sr. So not interested in Jr. I am all about Ekwanu at 3. Someone that will lay the wood, and become the leader of the line.

walker played on a better line and defense than the Texans. He is an exceptional athlete but it didn’t fully translate to the field. Instead of Walker at 13 give me his teammate Jordan Davis. He will set the tone on D and can stop the run, a major issue that needs fixed.

give me football players with high motors and that are physical and violent on both lines and let’s build from the inside out.

regarding Stingley, I don’t think he lasts in the NFL due to injury concerns. There’s a few other corners we could look at in the 2nd or 3rd rd if tricky Nick is so inclined.it’s a multi year rebuild but I want those lines beefed up first and I want tone setters. That’s a damn Good way to start on the path back to at least respectability.

only time will tell which of us is right.As you know there are no sure things. Have a good weekend!

very quickly…

Neal is Tunsil Jr. I want to get rid of Tunsil Sr. So not interested in Jr. I am all about Ekwanu at 3. Someone that will lay the wood, and become the leader of the line.

walker played on a better line and defense than the Texans. He is an exceptional athlete but it didn’t fully translate to the field. Instead of Walker at 13 give me his teammate Jordan Davis. He will set the tone on D and can stop the run, a major issue that needs fixed.

give me football players with high motors and that are physical and violent on both lines and let’s build from the inside out.

regarding Stingley, I don’t think he lasts in the NFL due to injury concerns. There’s a few other corners we could look at in the 2nd or 3rd rd if tricky Nick is so inclined.it’s a multi year rebuild but I want those lines beefed up first and I want tone setters. That’s a damn Good way to start on the path back to at least respectability.

only time will tell which of us is right.As you know there are no sure things. Have a good weekend!

You should go back and look at Walker going against Neal in the NC game. If you like Violence this was a pretty good matchup. Neal is quite violent. You dont like a 2 time pro bowler? I would take 2 Tunsil's in a heartbeat. Particularly on a rookie deal, which Neal will be on.

Love Davis too.

For a SB contender Stingley late in Rd. 1 would be a steal. Take Tampa or a team like the Bills, they have a relatively short window to win a SB. A guy like Stingley can greatly help this cause for a 3-4 yr window. If Stingley lasts only say 3 yrs but Tampa wins another SB would that be worth the 1st rd pick used on Stingley? To me the answer would definitely yes.

I am surprised by how many Talking Heads out there are still talkin about possible trades this year for laremy tunsil. They seem to be ignoring the dead money that the Texans would have to eat.

Yep, they dont like to admit when they're wrong.

Whether they like it or not Caserio looks at Tunsil/Cooks as foundational parts of the rebuild.

Back