Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

The Browns receive: QB Deshaun Watson and a fifth-round pick.

The Texans receive: Three first-round picks, a third-round pick, and a fourth-round pick.
Browns also receive a problem child with a huge price tag that will hobble future big FA signings.

Atlanta Falcons. The #8 and 2 other 1sts and 2 2nds and Kyle Pitts. That’s proper compensation. Caserio fucked this up. He should have NEVER allowed the Browns to meet Deshaun with that **** as trade compensation. The Texans controlled who could contact and negotiate with Deshaun. FAILURE ON ALL LEVELS
The Browns were the first team to offer three 1st's and gain permission to speak with Watson. Hindsight is always wishful thinking. Prior to the Browns' offer, Miami had offered three 1st's, a 3rd and a 5th.

Texian would have negotiated a better deal. This was amateur hour GM work
Well like I said in the other thread that has now been put in the basement files, I wanted to jump all over the File Clerk for such a poor and disappointing effort. Something tells me that even the File Clerk could not have done this bad if he had tried. This stinks to high heaven of Game Boy and Momma Game Boy. They just wanted Watson gone and have for over a year. They took Cleveland's first lowball offer and said let's be done with it. No need to negotiate. To sum it up, DeShaun Watson said he could not believe how much the Browns owner knew about the team.

giphy.gif

Well like I said in the other thread that has now been put in the basement files, I wanted to jump all over the File Clerk for such a poor and disappointing effort. Something tells me that even the File Clerk could not have done this bad if he had tried. This stinks to high heaven of Game Boy and Momma Game Boy. They just wanted Watson gone and have for over a year. They took Cleveland's first lowball offer and said let's be done with it. No need to negotiate. To sum it up, DeShaun Watson said he could not believe how much the Browns owner knew about the team.
Cry me a river dude.

I feel like several of you got a little too exciting about this trade and had unreasonable expectations. I said as much in the Watson thread earlier.

I think it could have gone better for the Texans but it's still a huge haul for a player most people didn't want any more

Definitely. it just goes to show you how many people in here refuse to give the Texans credit for anything. We got 3 1sts…more than the Wilson trade..but b/c we didn’t get any 2nd round picks, according to some in here we got fleeced? Ridiculous.

A., the advantage of knowing where the picks are isnt much of an advantage,
b., it’s only an advantage for this year,
C, even if the 1sts wind up being later in the 1st, those are thought of as early 2nds anyway…
D., SOMEONE ALWAYS FALLS OR IS PUSHED DOWN IN THE DRAFT…that is to say someone you thought wasn’t going to be there late is there..or close enough for you to move up to get.
E, this assumes the Browns go on to make deep playoff runs. Ballard and the Colts miscalculated tremendously on the Wentz trade and Philly has wound up with 2 1sts inside the top 20. IOW’s we don’t know what the hell is gonna happen with the Browns in the future.

I believe that they’ll wind up regretting it.
Landing a franchise Qb is only part of the very complex puzzle of building a championship team and the AFC North ain’t a cakewalk.

F it I'm calling it now.

Watson's departure will be the end of the Kirby curse.
All the bad football juju that has plagued the city of Houston shall immediately cease.

So sayeth this life long and multi generational Houstonian.
LOL we are the Lions and old Bengals. Get ready for 30 years plus in the wilderness. The Lions are a better run team with a better coach than this team. They got better value for Matt Stafford than we did with a much younger and better player

Surprised no one has criticized the negotiation method. Make us an offer before you can present to Watson then let Watson go to which one he wants after discussions and take their initial offer. That's fine for seeing who is serious, but not a great way to drive up the price. I understand that the ntc effects things but it doesn't seem like the method they chose to go about this was the best way to induce a bidding war.

I said it once and will say it again:

You can’t believe what he says. He said all 20 were relationships from those women were consensual. He had to plead the 5th instead of answering questions.

The guy is not to be source of credible information.

LOL we are the Lions and old Bengals. Get ready for 30 years plus in the wilderness. The Lions are a better run team with a better coach than this team. They got better value for Matt Stafford than we did with a much younger and better player

I said what I said.
Y'all are all living in my simulation anyway, so the curse end when I say it ends lol

I've always said there would be an owner/gm who would throw caution to the wind and make a big reach regardless. I just didn't know Jimmy Haslam and the Cleveland Browns would be able to do that for .60 cents on the dollar.

So Browns will win the SB this year?

I was resigned that we were going to lose him for nothing due to prison, there was a point where i thought taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him would have been better to have something than risk getting nothing.

3 firsts is a good haul, the 2nd rounders I’d hoped for would have been nice, but the firsts were the important thing.

Thoughts of getting player x or player y as part of the trade, might seem great but then you have a player who you are about to have to pay big, may or may not be a team fit, it puts you in cap difficulties really quick like with Tunsil.

It’s also really sad when I think of what Watson’s potential is, or was, that he has slipped away in disgrace and we are left nosing for a QB again. Steelb’s #lost decade mantra, it’s actually already 10 years since our boys turned up to Gillette in their letterman jackets, to my mind the peak of this franchise that they have failed to top. We have the picks, plenty of teams in our position now squander the opportunity, but Caserio & Lovie have every opportunity to put a contender on the field now. Must nail the picks and coach well from here.

Let me try and out this into some perspective. If Jimmy Haslam was willing to give DeShaun Watson a $230MM FULLY GUARANTEED contract, he would have offered up a lot more than (3) 1st a 3rd RD and a 4th RD.

Let me put this into perspective.
You'd be complaining no matter the outcome.
With 100% certainty.
I don't see how anyone can take what you said seriously when they know that you'd be complaining no matter what.

2023 3rd round will be in the bottom quarter picks
That 3rd round pick in '23 is sorta like adding insult to injury in this situation.
Wow what a stunning outcome to this whole Watson matter, but truth is Watson has got a really sharp agent who no doubt
really snookered our GM, because the key here was the NTC and clearly Caserio failed to outmaneurver Watson and his agent
re this vital component of the negotitations, but ultimately our former GM is the one who saddled the organization and Caserio
with this condition.

I guess I'm the only Texans fan around that is content with this deal. :koolaid:

The SOB is gone! And the Texans have multiple 1st rounders in the next three drafts to look forward to. I'm not going to complain. This is a great day for me. :texflag:
Nope. Also happy that he is gone. Getting all of those picks everyone was talking about plus players would have been amazing.

Acting like 3 first rounders for Watson is being fleeced is more than a little over the top though.

The dude has so much hanging over his head. Really glad its hanging over the city of Cleveland and not Houston anymore.

Caserio was never willing to play hardball with Deshaun and that hurt his leverage. All Caserio had to do was threaten to keep Deshaun and force him to play if he didn't like the trade return. But the Texans wanted to move on from Deshaun just as much as Deshaun wanted to leave. The grade will depend on what the Texans will do with the picks, but I don't have faith in Caserio or the Texans front office to get the rebuild right.

Wow did I pick a bad time for a compliance meeting.

Let’s all give Nick an incomplete. Because the results are not in. It’s not the tools, it’s how you use them. These picks could become the backbone of a championship team. Or meaningless players in a never ending turnstile of mistakes.

No attaboys. No hands ringing. The opportunity is out there. Make it happen.

some on here are acting like we got fleeced…on the other end of the spectrum they feel the same way…which is the sign of a good trade. Cleveland fans aren’t happy…& not just b/c of the baggage either. that 230 mil guaranteed has them up in arms

http://thebrownsboard.com/topic/64036-schefter-watson-to-browns/
Has anyone pointed out that Watson's 2022 base salary is only $1M?

From what I've read, there is an assumption that Goodell will suspend Watson. If this suspension is toward the heavy end, who will be the Browns' backup QB and what will this mean to expectations for the 2022 season. That 2023 1st may be higher than what is being projected here.

For all the crying in here, 3 1st round picks is 3 1st round picks. I didn’t think he’d get it but he did. I also like that they are spread out over multiple drafts.

I grade it a Grade an A- considering he had DW4’s NTC he had to work thru.

now not only do we have room cap wise to add other FA’s this year who can help this team, we’ll also be adding 3 other immediate impact players THIS year and the 2 after.
Yeah, I don't know else people want. If he didn't have the no trade and the off field stuff, they could've gotten more, but thats the cards that were dealt. They got 3 1st and 2 other picks like he wanted. We will see what he does with those picks.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping details come out in Watson's civil case that cause Goodell to suspend him for the 2022 season.

The Browns, having shot their wad getting Watson, have no viable backup QB, proceed to have a losing season and miss the playoffs.

Browns 2023 1st round pick, now belonging to the Texans, ends up being in the top 8 or so.

Let’s all give Nick an incomplete. Because the results are not in. It’s not the tools, it’s how you use them. These picks could become the backbone of a championship team. Or meaningless players in a never ending turnstile of mistakes.

Regardless of my opinion of the trade, I'm actually very excited about what can be done with the new draft capital and cap space.
As I said in the FA thread, I don't want any big signings. I want to see the foundation of the roster built the right way.

very much a fair take..

Let me try and out this into some perspective. If Jimmy Haslam was willing to give DeShaun Watson a $230MM FULLY GUARANTEED contract, he would have offered up a lot more than (3) 1st a 3rd RD and a 4th RD.
Perhaps the $230m was payment/cost enough.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping details come out in Watson's civil case that cause Goodell to suspend him for the 2022 season.

The Browns, having shot their wad getting Watson, have no viable backup QB, proceed to have a losing season and miss the playoffs.

Browns 2023 1st round pick, now belonging to the Texans, ends up being in the top 8 or so.

here’s the other thing: who is he throwing to? Landry was released earlier. OBJ got shipped out last year. Austin Hooper was also released. All they have is Njoku and whomever they select at WR in the draft.

retarded grading system dude
Okay then are we counting it as 4 pieces since we gave up a pick? Come on man. The “and more” that was out there never materialized here. The seconds and players is where Caserio would have showed his real worth and he didn’t. Seattle got like 6-7 real assets including much immediate help and a higher 1st this year and traded a much older player. D

Last edited:
Let me put this into perspective.
You'd be complaining no matter the outcome.
With 100% certainty.
I don't see how anyone can take what you said seriously when they know that you'd be complaining no matter what.
It’s idiotic that anyone thinks Caserio could have gotten more. Watson held all the cards because of that no trade clause. ATL had balked at the price tag and suddenly teams were drying up. CLE made their move and Watson agreed.
Caserio still got the best haul of any team involved as only MIA offered as much early on.

Has anyone pointed out that Watson's 2022 base salary is only $1M?

From what I've read, there is an assumption that Goodell will suspend Watson. If this suspension is toward the heavy end, who will be the Browns' backup QB and what will this mean to expectations for the 2022 season. That 2023 1st may be higher than what is being projected here.
You beat me to it - especially considering he may be suspended 6 weeks or more.

Back