Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What did you think of Pep Hamilton's performance last year as OC?

Considering the new OC, new system, and new weapons, maybe Mills can be much improved this season. Houston is going to need both Mills and Stroud.
Mills is always going to be limited, physically. He has the game of an old QB, without the moxie that comes from experience. Mills will always be a stiff athlete, and that is not going to help in this system. He would be better backing up Mac Jones in New England.

Mills is always going to be limited, physically. He has the game of an old QB, without the moxie that comes from experience. Mills will always be a stiff athlete, and that is not going to help in this system. He would be better backing up Mac Jones in New England.

Would you say Stroud is limited athletically and if not why not?

Would you say Stroud is limited athletically and if not why not?

It depends on how you’d like to define athletically. Like I mentioned in several post(s), I like Hooker and find he and Stroud to be very similar. Both are strong pocket passers who possess the ability to make defenses pay if the pocket breaks down and they’re forced to run. If you’re looking for a QB1 who can get you a 1,000 yards on the ground….then you may have a very limited QB, a QB that doesn’t read defenses quick enough, or a QB stuck with an offense that has no running game. More often than not….it doesn’t work out for that QB1.

It depends on how you’d like to define athletically. Like I mentioned in several post(s), I like Hooker and find he and Stroud to be very similar. Both are strong pocket passers who possess the ability to make defenses pay if the pocket breaks down and they’re forced to run. If you’re looking for a QB1 who can get you a 1,000 yards on the ground….then you may have a very limited QB, a QB that doesn’t read defenses quick enough, or a QB stuck with an offense that has no running game. More often than not….it doesn’t work out for that QB1.

What are his athletic gifts. Posters said Mills didn't have any outstanding athletic gifts, which I agree with. So what are Stroud's outstanding athletic gifts?

There is nothing in his two-year sample size at the highest collegiate level that says he has limited athleticism.
What are his outstanding athletic gifts? In other words is he more athletically gifted than Mills?

Where is Mills athletically gifted so that we have a baseline measurement.
Has ran a 4.6 40 for a start. But this isn't meant to compare Stroud to Mills. Posters were comparing Mills to Schaub which was a bad comparison IMHO. So what makes Stroud more athletically than say Goff, Cousins, Geno etc ..

Has ran a 4.6 40 for a start. But this isn't meant to compare Stroud to Mills. Posters were comparing Mills to Schaub which was a bad comparison IMHO. So what makes Stroud more athletically than say Goff, Cousins, Geno etc ..

Are we comparing Stroud’s CFB athletic skills to these other QB’s CFB athletic skills? It would be the only apples to apples comparison available at this time.

I’ll come back to this after he has an NFL season under his belt and video to digest. I’m also sure we’ll all be breaking down his in-game play as the season starts and progresses. I’ll try to remember to touch on his athleticism during each game.

Are we comparing Stroud’s CFB athletic skills to these other QB’s CFB athletic skills? It would be the only apples to apples comparison available at this time.

I’ll come back to this after he has an NFL season under his belt and video to digest. I’m also sure we’ll all be breaking down his in-game play as the season starts and progresses. I’ll try to remember to touch on his athleticism during each game.
I'm comparing his athletic ability to the QB's that he will be competing against in the NFL. Posters asked what athletic trait makes Mills special and now I'm asking what athletic trait makes Stroud special?

I'm comparing his athletic ability to the QB's that he will be competing against in the NFL. Posters asked what athletic trait makes Mills special and now I'm asking what athletic trait makes Stroud special?

The neck it’s all in the neck!

52269.webp

This thread makes me think Brady would fall to the 6th round again

lol
Since we're on that topic, were Brady to come out today would any think otherwise? There was nothing special about him. He looked like Tom Savage. Had all the tools, but nothing special.

What he did have you couldn't measure, not at the combine, not watching his tape. Not even talking to his coaches or team mates.

Since we're on that topic, were Brady to come out today would any think otherwise? There was nothing special about him. He looked like Tom Savage. Had all the tools, but nothing special.

What he did have you couldn't measure, not at the combine, not watching his tape. Not even talking to his coaches or team mates.
His teammates did know. It was the coaches that ignored him in college. He would come in and lead a comeback when the team was down. He did it several times.

I guess I am wondering what point is being made here? I don't recall anyone stating that Stroud's strength was his gifted athleticism that separated him from the rest of the draft class.

Good question

Could he fire that laser ball back then?

I guess I am wondering what point is being made here? I don't recall anyone stating that Stroud's strength was his gifted athleticism that separated him from the rest of the draft class.

There are a LOT of NFL QB legends that weren't all that athletic. The #1 requirement is the ability to read defenses and make good, snap, decisions under pressure. Will CJ be able to do those things? We will see.

I'm asking what athletic trait makes Stroud special?

His ability to spot-place a football many yards down the field. He throws a beautiful ball with tremendous touch and has a penchant for putting it into very tight windows.

As far as running, cutting, and juking, he's probably just average in that regard for an NFL QB.

As with any NFL QB prospect, it's going to come down to his ability, or lack thereof, to read defenses and make good decisions with the ball while under pressure.

Comeback wins and clutchness.

Buckeye Homer seems to be the only guy that is willing to give a straight up answer.

Those came later. If the 2000 Brady were to come out today, where would he be picked? Maybe undrafted?
Brady was clutch in college. He had to wait his turn, then started and then had to compete with Drew Henson. But check out his Michigan record and the comebacks. No one knew his true ceiling then and even if coming out today he would probably picked in the same area as he was in 2000 or even undrafted.

Lol, The sought after criteria for a qb hasn’t changed much from 2000 when Brady was drafted..so he’d likely still be a 6th rounder.

where it would be different is Brady likely would’ve been released or traded to another team instead of a team being patient & developing him for a few years like Belichick did with him. That same situation that happened with him stepping in and effectively Wally Pip’ing Bledsoe…likely wouldn’t have happened with any other coach but Belichick…Franchises/HC/Fans just don’t have the patience to wait for a qb to develop these days & definitely wouldn’t have been with moving on from Drew for a 6th round game managing qb….which is what Brady was slightly more than in those early years.

Last edited:
Lol, The sought after criteria for a qb hasn’t changed much from 2000 when Brady was drafted..so he’d likely still be a 6th rounder.

where it would be different is Brady likely would’ve been released or traded to another team instead of a team being patient & developing him for a few years like Belichick did with him. That same situation that happened with him stepping in and effectively Wally Pip’ing Bledsoe…likely wouldn’t have happened with any other coach but Belichick…Franchises/HC/Fans just don’t have the patience to wait for a qb to develop these days & definitely wouldn’t have been with moving on from Drew for a 6th round game managing qb….which is what Brady was slightly more than in those early years.
They didn't develop Brady for a few years. He became the starting QB the 3rd game of his second season and won a Super Bowl.

They didn't develop Brady for a few years. He became the starting QB the 3rd game of his second season and won a Super Bowl.

He didn’t win the starting gig outright in 2001 & Had Bledsoe not gotten hurt, Brady’s likely not seeing the field at all that year. IOW’s Beli & co. didn’t think he was ready b/c & back then there was nothing to suggest he was going to be the heir apparent to Bledsoe or that he was pushing him for the starting gig. The fact that he got pressed into duty for 14 games & they wound up winning the SB that year is inconsequential & doesn’t change the fact that he was still being developed...thats no more apparent than his numbers back then & the fact that he came back in 2002 as the starter and they missed they playoffs.. He was just no where close to being the guy we would all come to know from about 2008 -2009 on back then. His development was a hybrid of clipboard & OJT from 2000 - 2004 as a game manager while the defense carried them.

He changed a bunch from that season & his 5th or 6th. He started leading in QB categories. He started throwing much better, arm looked stronger & he was throwing bombs.

He was a clutch game manager the first 5 years or so, then he became a franchise QB.

Back