Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m not getting some of the backlash against the honey badger around here. (Other threads)

He only makes us better.

Get some CB help and he can do his job like a boss.

Sign him already.
His 1st couple of years in the league he was a game changer .since he's been a fine starter. A Robin to someone's Batman. That's fine, he helps us be better, I agree.

But we paid him like Batman.

I don't know if this backlash you speak of is anything I said. But that's been my knock on him. $5M/yr somewhere in that range bring him back. I doubt anyone else will pay him more.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I’m not getting some of the backlash against the honey badger around here. (Other threads)

He only makes us better.

Sign him already.
He was getting knocked in the game thread. I agree, get the CBs where they need to be and he will look alot better. TK is right he probably is worth 5-6m and be done with it. The guy is a vet that has passion so I’d like to see us keep him IAAP.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

He only makes us better.

Sign him already.
I don't get it either. People have been beotching about the safeties for the entire existence of the Texans. Finally get a really good one and they want to ditch him.

His 1st couple of years in the league he was a game changer .since he's been a fine starter. A Robin to someone's Batman. That's fine, he helps us be better, I agree.

But we paid him like Batman.
No we did not. We paid $7 mil. Top safeties get $12 mil.

If you want to beotch about someone overpaid look to Colvin's $8.5 mil bench riding ass. We're pretty much stuck with him for one more year though.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I don't get it either. People have been botching about the safeties for the entire existence of the Texans. Finally get a really good one and they want to ditch him.

If you want to beotch about someone overpaid look to Colvin's $8.5 mil bench riding ass. We're pretty much stuck with him for one more year though.
Was Colvin a Gaine signing?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I don't get it either. People have been beotching about the safeties for the entire existence of the Texans. Finally get a really good one and they want to ditch him.

I’m hoping Colvin’s lack of being on the field for the final few games had more to do with the ankle injury vs ineptitude. It would be awesome if he turned out to be a productive DB next season.

stingray

Hall of Fame
Both Kareem and Honey Badger are free agents. If we draft a couple corners early in the draft, then I expect Kareem will be brought back to safety. Can't keep both Honey Badger and kareem in my opinion. I do think that Kareem will want more money than HB as he should since he can play both positions. Decisions, decisions..

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Both Kareem and Honey Badger are free agents. If we draft a couple corners early in the draft, then I expect Kareem will be brought back to safety. Can't keep both Honey Badger and kareem in my opinion. I do think that Kareem will want more money than HB as he should since he can play both positions. Decisions, decisions..
.....not to mention, the emergence of Reid. Kid has star S written all over him.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
yeah, but how much $ do you spend at each position, you have Hal and Reid on the cheap, so do you pay Kareem and HB? If Colvin is seen as a bust versus never truly healthy, I think you have to keep both and use one on slot, as well as upgrade CB. If Colvin is still in plans, you may only pay one if you cannot get both to sign reasonable dollars

mussop

Hall of Fame

Don’t want to ditch him just don’t want to pay him like a top safety. He’s just not a “top safety”. Would rather spend the money on a CB and ride with Hal and Ried or sign a more traditional FS with range and better cover skills.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why can't we keep both? Not saying we should but we can. Cut Johnson, Bademosi and Griffin there's $15 million to split without touching our cap space. Imo we can get starting corner in draft so I'm hesitant on extending KJack.

stingray

Hall of Fame
Why can't we keep both? Not saying we should but we can. Cut Johnson, Bademosi and Griffin there's $15 million to split without touching our cap space. Imo we can get starting corner in draft so I'm hesitant on extending KJack.
Because unless Kareem stays at Corner, one will have to ride the bench.

eriadoc

Texan-American
1st Round needs to be a LT or CB, IMO. 2nd round should be the other. Keep Matthieu and KJack both, if possible. Ditch Kevin Johnson. Reid, Matthieu and KJack gives a lot of flexibility for certain packages at S as long as the CBs can do their job (looking at you, Colvin). JJo not getting any younger and Kevin Johnson was a bust. Hal is solid depth behind the other three safeties.

Shishkabob

All Pro
That's the thing, they play 3 safeties at times. Take advantage of the flexibility while you have it. Reid is dirt cheap for the remainder of KJax's likely career.
Did they play 3 safeties because that's what they wanted to do, or because they were trying to limit the amount their shoddy corner were exposed?

Idk having 3 safeties on the field doesn't seem ideal in todays NFL, unless their all beasts in run support so they can fill in for your LBs as well

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Did they play 3 safeties because that's what they wanted to do, or because they were trying to limit the amount their shoddy corner were exposed?

Idk having 3 safeties on the field doesn't seem ideal in todays NFL, unless their all beasts in run support so they can fill in for your LBs as well
In the Texans case both. Teams around the league are playing 3 safety looks for additional run support, to counter TEs and as a best players on the field decision where the 3rd safety is better than the 4th or 5th CB.

stingray

Hall of Fame
Maybe they keep both. Who knows, nothing wrong on having three solid safetys but definitely need to draft at minimum two corners in the first three rounds. Tired of seeing joseph slow ass getting torched.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
With our cap space and our sad state at the corner position why wouldn't we extend Kareem? He's our most versatile DB and can fill two spots in a pinch and he brings veteran leadership to a rebuilding secondary. We already need to replace both Kevin Johnson and Jonathan Joseph this offseason.. I really don't want to have to replace all 3 in one offseason.

Texansballer74

The Marine
K. Jackson will get extended. T. Mathieu will probably get a two year deal. I believe Jojo won't return. His time has come and gone. I don't know what they will do with Colvin. It seems like he's in RAC doghouse. Wright most definitely needs to be cut. And Johnson will be shown the door as well.

The CB will be addressed early in the draft I believe.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Really not sure what games people are watching. JJo had the tightest coverage on the team. He's under contract dirt cheap for 2019. Insane to consider getting rid if him. Bring in 2 new CBs and don't create holes by dumping JJo.

The Texans are upside down on Colvin this season so they need to figure out a way to make him productive.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Really not sure what games people are watching. JJo had the tightest coverage on the team. He's under contract dirt cheap for 2019. Insane to consider getting rid if him. Bring in 2 new CBs and don't create holes by dumping JJo.

The Texans are upside down on Colvin this season so they need to figure out a way to make him productive.
Hopefully with a healthy ankle, and solid boundary corners he can regain his Jags form, and be a good slot corner

Texansballer74

The Marine
Jojo is not getting younger is my point. And we need corners who can play in your face physical bump and run. Yes the old man is still hanging in there but he is getting slower. If you want to keep him fine. I'm all for it.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Jojo is not getting younger is my point. And we need corners who can play in your face physical bump and run. Yes the old man is still hanging in there but he is getting slower. If you want to keep him fine. I'm all for it.
If you want your corners to play physical bump in run, you need to change your DC first. RAC rarely uses his corners that way, even when they are talented

mussop

Hall of Fame
We can keep both if contracts are reasonable. IMO we shouldn’t overpay for either.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I've said in another thread that we need to let RAC go. His bend but don't brake defensive philosophy is outdated imo. Time to move on
Amen!!!! With the front we have we should be attacking relentlessly. This stupid ass outdated crap where we allow the other team to just move methodically down the field hoping for a turnover just wears out our DL.

Seth pain was saying a while back that long drives early in the game just sap your energy and late in games you just don’t have anything left in the tank. 10, 12 and 14 play drives seem the norm against us.

I miss Wade Phillips style. If OB doesn’t get the boot we at least need to replace RAC. It’s just not an effective style anymore.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

JJo is the best coverage guy on this team, get someone better but no way let him go.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Jonathan Joseph finished the season graded as the #12 CB by PFF. I'd say that's about right. He's still really good at his age, but he's not the truly top notch guy we saw earlier in his career. Don't let that cloud your judgment though. If you have a chance to get or retain the #12 CB, you take it. Pay accordingly, play for decline and/or retirement, but take it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/johnathan-joseph/2969
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-oldies-but-goodies-kareem-jackson-johnathan-joseph-are-having-career-years-at-30-plus-years-old

badboy

Hall of Fame
Because unless Kareem stays at Corner, one will have to ride the bench.
Surely you know history of injuries especially to our DBs. Both can play safety and corner but Kjack is better imo at corner. I want four good safeties but have concentrated last few weeks on possible trades for Clowney and Lamar Miller and possibly Fuller. I'm back to thinking KJack's cap if extended would be better on a younger comparable CB. Now focusing on draft with as is picks 1.23, 2.54 and 2.55, and 3.87. I still would hope to trade Lamar Miller for 4th to someone like Pittsburgh for use as a complimentary back. Conner out and Bell holding out a Miller would have probably taken that team deeper.

I'm thinking Mathieu is extended.

badboy

Hall of Fame
With our cap space and our sad state at the corner position why wouldn't we extend Kareem? He's our most versatile DB and can fill two spots in a pinch and he brings veteran leadership to a rebuilding secondary. We already need to replace both Kevin Johnson and Jonathan Joseph this offseason.. I really don't want to have to replace all 3 in one offseason.
for me it's about roster numbers,cap space and who we can get this off season. For example we get two corners and two OTs first four selections. One CB--say Trayvon Mullen Clemson starts day one, another Julian Love Notre Dame battles Colvin. A free agent vet--Eric Rowe if healthy from groin (27 Oct ) or Brad Robey or even both would be interesting.

As I've said this is going to be very active summer if I'm reading things right. I feel Janice and Cal McNair will dedicate 2019 to Mr. McNair and open purse strings--hopefully for a new coaching staff.

badboy

Hall of Fame

glad I scrolled before posting, I agree 100%, not just stat wise 58 tackles one for loss and it was a TD, 2 INTs defending 13 passes successfully in 14 games and he's hard to get off field as is JJ. He is very cost effective at $4.3 cap a decrease of 1.2. Now if we can bring in a younger guy with same consistency to challenge him, I would love him as a backup. Every corner gets beat few have ability to shake it off and be up the very next play.

stingray

Hall of Fame
I don’t want JJ gone, but I want another younger guy being our #1 CB. Keep JJ for his final year as our 2nd or 3rd corner and as a mentor to whoever we draft.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I don’t want JJ gone, but I want another younger guy being our #1 CB. Keep JJ for his final year as our 2nd or 3rd corner and as a mentor to whoever we draft.
Meh, I would love to have someone better at the #1 CB position. Younger would just happen naturally. Kevin Johnson is younger. I don't want him. JJo is rated as the 12th best CB in the league by PFF. OK, you can quibble with that ranking, but honestly, not by a lot. Who do you want better that the team can get? The only path to upgrade is through the draft (remember Kevin Johnson, 1st rounder?) or by free agency/trade (remember Colvin, who was inactive for the playoffs?). It's easy to say you want an upgrade, but not easy to get one. And having the 12th best CB in your #1 spot is not the worst talent deficiency on this team by a long shot. So if you're going to spent capital on upgrading, don't you think it should upgrade the spots where the team has the bazillionth best player (looking at the OL)?

Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, and I said upthread I think one of the first two picks should be spent on CB, but there's no guarantee that draft pick turns into the next Jonathan Joseph, much less Ramsey or similar. Good chance it turns into the next Kevin Johnson.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

Teams have been playing 3 safeties for a while. They were doing this under Wade too.

And the third safety doesn’t have as much to do with the corners as it does the LBs. Safeties match up better with TE’s.

You play a third safety rather than a corner because most safeties are better against the run than a corner and better against the pass than a LB.

That’s why 3 safeties are widely used.

stingray

Hall of Fame
Meh, I would love to have someone better at the #1 CB position. Younger would just happen naturally. Kevin Johnson is younger. I don't want him. JJo is rated as the 12th best CB in the league by PFF. OK, you can quibble with that ranking, but honestly, not by a lot. Who do you want better that the team can get? The only path to upgrade is through the draft (remember Kevin Johnson, 1st rounder?) or by free agency/trade (remember Colvin, who was inactive for the playoffs?). It's easy to say you want an upgrade, but not easy to get one. And having the 12th best CB in your #1 spot is not the worst talent deficiency on this team by a long shot. So if you're going to spent capital on upgrading, don't you think it should upgrade the spots where the team has the bazillionth best player (looking at the OL)?

Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, and I said upthread I think one of the first two picks should be spent on CB, but there's no guarantee that draft pick turns into the next Jonathan Joseph, much less Ramsey or similar. Good chance it turns into the next Kevin Johnson.
Busts come in any position. Remember Greg Robinson, a can’t miss Mauler that some on here wanted instead of Clowney or Mack im 2014? Taken 2nd overall by the Rams. You just can’t ignore a weakness on the team by saying, “oh well, our chances of landing a bust is higher than drafting the next Revis or Deion Sanders, might as well not draft a CB.”

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Busts come in any position. Remember Greg Robinson, a can’t miss Mauler that some on here wanted instead of Clowney or Mack im 2014? Taken 2nd overall by the Rams. You just can’t ignore a weakness on the team by saying, “oh well, our chances of landing a bust is higher than drafting the next Revis or Deiom Sanders, might as well not draft a CB.”
I agree with what you're saying. But to go into the draft saying you're going to use your first on an OT sets you up that much more to reach, settle, take a chance & thereby increase the probability of getting a bust. Or in O'Briens case, if he finds out the guy isn't who he thought he was, it's over. Dude won't get a chance to develop into the player he wants to be.

I want them to fix the OL, but if the guy they project to be there at 23 has quick feet, but short arms & built like a Guard, I'd rather they pass. Find a better prospect in the later rounds, find a better FA, or get better at utilizing a TE on the left side, or get a RB that's better at chipping. Or design more roll outs to the right.

stingray

Hall of Fame
I agree with what you're saying. But to go into the draft saying you're going to use your first on an OT sets you up that much more to reach, settle, take a chance & thereby increase the probability of getting a bust. Or in O'Briens case, if he finds out the guy isn't who he thought he was, it's over. Dude won't get a chance to develop into the player he wants to be.

I want them to fix the OL, but if the guy they project to be there at 23 has quick feet, but short arms & built like a Guard, I'd rather they pass. Find a better prospect in the later rounds, find a better FA, or get better at utilizing a TE on the left side, or get a RB that's better at chipping. Or design more roll outs to the right.
Nevermind, I missread your post. I agree 100%

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
As I've said this is going to be very active summer if I'm reading things right. I feel Janice and Cal McNair will dedicate 2019 to Mr. McNair and open purse strings--hopefully for a new coaching staff.
What things specifically are you reading Badboy to lead you believe this or or could it perhaps just be wishful thinking ?
Yes with the death of the only owner and the founder of the Texans we've had a profound event occur to the organization but have we seen anything or heard anything so far from the ownew-founders CEO son or widow that would lead us to think that dramatic or even minor changes will come to the Texans in the near future ?