Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Lovie Smith

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
It was mentioned elsewhere that Lovie didn't have his own thread.....so here it is.

Smith went to the college game, coaching the University of Illinois from 2016-20. However, during that five-season span, Illinois never had a winning season and just one bowl appearance at the end of the 2019 campaign.
According to Smith, who met with the Houston media via Zoom on April 8, the problem was he couldn’t fully deploy his defense at the college level.

Because of the switch to a 4-3, some outside linebackers in a 3-4 will play end, and some inside linebackers will move outside. There’s an emphasis on quickness and speed at linebacker. Smith’s defense will be a base 4-3 but will be multiple. He’ll play a lot of Cover 2 but also will play man and other zone schemes, including combination man and zone coverage. His players have to be versatile.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Lovie's defensive philosophy is further back in the stone age of football than even RAC's was. This defense is going to be so bad...lol.
Ugh. I just wonder for how long. I'll be surprised if the 2021 team can muster even four wins. The Texans will be a slumpbuster for some teams, and I figure every opponent will have already circled the Texans as a win on their schedules.

On the bright side, I won't feel obligated in the slightest to spend a minute inside watching this product instead of being outside on nice autumn days.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Ugh. I just wonder for how long. I'll be surprised if the 2021 team can muster even four wins. The Texans will be a slumpbuster for some teams, and I figure every opponent will have already circled the Texans as a win on their schedules.

On the bright side, I won't feel obligated in the slightest to spend a minute inside watching this product instead of being outside on nice autumn days.
Redzone FTW!!!

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I don't care who the coaches are, the Texans are bereft of talent and will look like crap this year.

Everybody likes to blame the brick makers for bad bricks when they have no straw. And Cal isn't even close to being Ramesses.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I don't care who the coaches are, the Texans are bereft of talent and will look like crap this year.

Everybody likes to blame the brick makers for bad bricks when they have no straw. And Cal isn't even close to being Ramesses.

I disagree. A good coach can make average players better.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
True coaching royalty IMO his defense has been very good almost every place he has been. And a great person to help Culley. High energy and if you look at what he was able to do in Chicago...he knows what it takes to win.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So none of last years 22 starters or next years 22 projected starters are average?
You tell me. Do you think losing Watt and gaining the Caserio crew equates to an average defense? They finished 30th in total defense and dead last in turnovers. And that's getting to play the Jags twice. That wasn't due to bad coaching.

powda

You tell me. Do you think losing Watt and gaining the Caserio crew equates to an average defense? They finished 30th in total defense and dead last in turnovers. And that's getting to play the Jags twice. That wasn't due to bad coaching.

My question wasn't specific to the defense or offense as a whole. Only average starters.

You don't think we have any?

Dejaview

All Pro
So what is the immediate fix that can equate to more wins this year. What is your plan? In your opinion what can the Texans do right now and is within their means. If you say nothing then youve said nothing at all because we don’t need history lessons since it’s so easy to second guess.

powda

So what is the immediate fix that can equate to more wins this year. What is your plan? In your opinion what can the Texans do right now and is within their means. If you say nothing then youve said nothing at all because we don’t need history lessons since it’s so easy to second guess.

Don't be combative. Let him respond.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why people keep bringing up JJ Watt like he' was the Superstar JJ in his last two seasons here. JJ was a average to below average player. The defense was terrible because he would still not play/hold his gap responsibility.

The defense right now should be better than the last two seasons. You will not have one player freelancing and doing his own thing in Lovies defensive scheme. Everyone has to play their part. If they do that, this defense will be aight.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
bah humbug. The Texans are signing a bunch of cast offs and has beens and others coming off injuries and don't draft anyone until the 3rd round. They were bad last year with Watson, this year without Watson they'll be the Jags. Get used to it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There is no immediate fix. This is a rebuild and will take years to restock talent. It's like giving someone a few shipping pallets and telling them to build a house. Unless it's a crappy doghouse, there's just not much there and not much can be done in the immediate future. First overall pick in 2022 is when Caserio can really start to flex, because it's most likely going to be the Texans on the clock.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think if we can run the ball better on offense we could win more games. I want the defense to get better, but there were a few teams as bad as we were defensively that won more games because they ran the ball well

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
My question wasn't specific to the defense or offense as a whole. Only average starters.

You don't think we have any?
What does that have to do with anything? This roster sucks. That’s not on one specific person. This took years and a tsunami of bad decisions and luck. Can you name one roster with less talent than the Texans? One Pro Bowl LT (which is dubious) protecting a journeyman QB. Cunningham is paid like a good player. Then basically a cast of has beens and neverwillbes.

This is a tank job disguised to make someone think this team is trying to compete. Which is OK. This team needs to tank. I’m fine with admitting that and moving on. No more pretending.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What does that have to do with anything? This roster sucks. That’s not on one specific person. This took years and a tsunami of bad decisions and luck. Can you name one roster with less talent than the Texans? One Pro Bowl LT (which is dubious) protecting a journeyman QB. Cunningham is paid like a good player. Then basically a cast of has beens and neverwillbes.

This is a tank job disguised to make someone think this team is trying to compete. Which is OK. This team needs to tank. I’m fine with admitting that and moving on. No more pretending.
The OL has been upgraded. The RB position has been upgraded.

The CB position, while not great has been upgraded.

powda

You mentioned "average starters" so I did to. Then you backed off it talking about the defense as a whole.

Maybe we're splitting hairs here but if you were more familiar with my post history you'd know I think this team is miserable to. We'll finish the year somewhere close to whale sh*t and the barnacle encrusted ruins of the Titanic.

Dejaview

All Pro
There is no immediate fix. This is a rebuild and will take years to restock talent. It's like giving someone a few shipping pallets and telling them to build a house. Unless it's a crappy doghouse, there's just not much there and not much can be done in the immediate future. First overall pick in 2022 is when Caserio can really start to flex, because it's most likely going to be the Texans on the clock.
I think if we can run the ball better on offense we could win more games. I want the defense to get better, but there were a few teams as bad as we were defensively that won more games because they ran the ball well
right, we should suck. But man, my mind just doesn’t work on all this negative **** that gets posted every day. I find it interesting that we finally have what seems to be a good coaching staff and GM. I get it, time will tell. But this is now, not second guessing later. NOW I want to see what these coaches are about. We don’t know but this team is following a paradigm we haven’t seen before. Isn’t that interesting? folks shouldn’t whine on what it SHOULD be. It’s NOT. I’m aware of our base. But personally I’m enjoying the embryonic stages of watching a GM’s philosophy on turning a ship around. Who knows, we might learn a lesson. Everyone expects us to fail so I have more to gain When we see good. That helps the immune system.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
right, we should suck. But man, my mind just doesn’t work on all this negative **** that gets posted every day. I find it interesting that we finally have what seems to be a good coaching staff and GM. I get it, time will tell. But this is now, not second guessing later. NOW I want to see what these coaches are about. We don’t know but this team is following a paradigm we haven’t seen before. Isn’t that interesting? folks shouldn’t whine on what it SHOULD be. It’s NOT. I’m aware of our base. But personally I’m enjoying the embryonic stages of watching a GM’s philosophy on turning a ship around. Who knows, we might learn a lesson. Everyone expects us to fail so I have more to gain When we see good. That helps the immune system.
Why do you believe we finally have what seems to be a good coaching staff? This seems to be a rag tag bunch like the team itself. A HC that's never been more than a position coach for 27 years, a DC past his prime, an OC leftover from the old regime, I mean I get change had to be made, but nothing there gives off excitement.

And it appears there's going to be no off-season workouts, so that's definitely not going to help.

And I get, and agree, that change had to be made. You couldn't keep going with what you had. It's my belief that this change is just the first, to get us through this transitional period, before the real positive change eventually comes in, and this team is competitive again. Think of it as the Astros losing 100 games 3 years in a row. I hope it doesn't take that long, but now that we're back in the QB carousel game, it could.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why do you believe we finally have what seems to be a good coaching staff? This seems to be a rag tag bunch like the team itself. A HC that's never been more than a position coach for 27 years, a DC past his prime, an OC leftover from the old regime, I mean I get change had to be made, but nothing there gives off excitement.
I can see what you mean. Can’t really argue. We (at least I) are going to be hoping a bunch of people can do things they really haven’t done, or at least done well in a long time... some cases, ever.

& against guys like Frank Reich, Urban Myer, & Mike Vrabel....

And I get, and agree, that change had to be made.
Just like O’Brien dismantling a perfectly fine OL, I don’t understand the investment on the OL if we’re tanking.

Don’t get me wrong, we had 4 turnstiles out there. But they were bodies. High draft picks... easy sell for a team that’s tanking.

Bodies.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Man we just can't be optimistic around these parts. Can we just let this thing play out.
Dude, it's a damn message board full of opinions. If you want to be optimistic and wave the pom poms, more power to you. Just quit whining about optimism and 'can't we just wait' when somebody sees it different.

And seeing it different I do. This team is void of talent, the franchise QB it took them 16 years to get is gonzo, the HC is a guy no one's ever heard of, they were up against the cap in free agency and they have no 1st and 2nd round draft picks. If this was all happening to the Jacksonville Jaguars instead of the Houston Texans, we'd all be laughing our asses off about them.

I get having hope that your team does good, but come on, man. There's nothing here right now. We'll see if Caserio can turn it around, and it may take a little longer now that we're back playing QB carousel, but it ain't happening in 2021. And if I'm wrong about that come December, who cares? It doesn't change the way I see it right now.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Dude, it's a damn message board full of opinions. If you want to be optimistic and wave the pom poms, more power to you. Just quit whining about optimism and 'can't we just wait' when somebody sees it different.
Amidst all the pessimism (which would include mine) the occasional optimistic viewpoint is actually refreshing. Unrealistic, but refreshing. LOL

We all want the Texans to succeed, otherwise we wouldn't be fans and be posting on this board.

It's gonna be a long season folks.

Dejaview

All Pro
I like the bad ass beard look. Since DC wants a D that “ takes away the will” of the O, start with the coach, lol. Gotta make this fun, Raider- like. Get an identity. ( this websites spell check sucks)

Texansballer74

The Marine

And seeing it different I do. This team is void of talent, the franchise QB it took them 16 years to get is gonzo, the HC is a guy no one's ever heard of, they were up against the cap in free agency and they have no 1st and 2nd round draft picks. If this was all happening to the Jacksonville Jaguars instead of the Houston Texans, we'd all be laughing our asses off about them.

I get having hope that your team does good, but come on, man. There's nothing here right now. We'll see if Caserio can turn it around, and it may take a little longer now that we're back playing QB carousel, but it ain't happening in 2021. And if I'm wrong about

The thing is we don't know how the season will unfold or what these new players would bring to the table. That's my main point but why continue to rain on those who are optimistic parade?

Some of those players he brought here are pretty good. The roster should be very competitive. Do we have a Superstar in the making, hmmm I don't know. I am just hopeful this new coaching regime will be able to coach these players up.

You most definitely have put together a compelling argument. Because they could very well be terrible again this season. I'm just in the ballpark of waiting and seeing.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The thing is we don't know how the season will unfold or what these new players would bring to the table. That's my main point but why continue to rain on those who are optimistic parade?

Some of those players he brought here are pretty good. The roster should be very competitive. Do we have a Superstar in the making, hmmm I don't know. I am just hopeful this new coaching regime will be able to coach these players up.

You most definitely have put together a compelling argument. Because they could very well be terrible again this season. I'm just in the ballpark of waiting and seeing.
It looks like next yrs team is going to be bad. All we can do is hope for the best.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Even the sports books don’t think much is going on here.

Tied for fewest wins expected. In fact, the Texans are actually worse when you look at the juice applied. Texans -130 for under 5 wins, Lions +110 for under 5. That means they think the Texans have a better shot of having less than 5 wins than they think the Lions do.

I don’t care if there’s too much optimism or pessimism. If I don’t agree with one or the other, I’ll make my case, but I’m not going to complain about it and why don’t we wait and see how it plays out blah, blah, blah. If we did that there’s no point of having a message board.

I’m fine with 74 having hope that this and this and that could happen and that it could turn into a productive, positive season. I don’t know if he really believes it, but I’m OK with the hope. I just see it different. That’s all. I see them struggling to match last year’s win total. We all have to wait and see how it plays out, but that doesn’t mean we can’t give our opinions, good or bad.

Number19

Hall of Fame
It looks like next yrs team is going to be bad. All we can do is hope for the best.
What is the definition of "bad"? What is the base line? Or do you even have a base line?

Looking at the schedule, I'm seeing a possible 3 - 5 wins. If we were to win more than 5, I would consider the team, and the season, to be a sucess. If we were to win less than 3, I would consider the team, and the season, to be bad.

This team, and the organization, is in a total rebuild. My viewpoint is that the primary goal is to put in place the new defensive and offensive schemes, to get the players acclimated to the new schemes and to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of all positions. Beginning with the 2022 draft, we can begin addressing our priorities.

So, my baseline is 3 -5 wins. And I evaluate from there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What is the definition of "bad"? What is the base line? Or do you even have a base line?

Looking at the schedule, I'm seeing a possible 3 - 5 wins. If we were to win more than 5, I would consider the team, and the season, to be a sucess. If we were to win less than 3, I would consider the team, and the season, to be bad.

This team, and the organization, is in a total rebuild. My viewpoint is that the primary goal is to put in place the new defensive and offensive schemes, to get the players acclimated to the new schemes and to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of all positions. Beginning with the 2022 draft, we can begin addressing our priorities.

So, my baseline is 3 -5 wins. And I evaluate from there.
I would consider 3-5 wins to be about right. If you don't think you can win a championship then winning 6 or more games would be a disaster. It would help ensure mediocrity. Either be bad or good. Being in the middle is where you don't want to be.

Dejaview

All Pro

im with you baller. These new players aren’t just about the cap, I really believe NC and the coaching staff want to clean house. Not saying we aren’t mostly exchanging back-ups for the same but They want to develop a new team attitude. I’ve been very impressed with the comments the new guys bring. They are all in DC, really like the guy and his experience. Easier to change a player than a mindset. And I laugh at the negativity because it is Often repeated by the same folks like they have to continuously remind themselves and others how smart they are. Problem is most of us already get it and understand the state of the team But I guess they are like birds, mostly cardinals this time of the year that just keep attacking their images in our windows. Poor things just can’t help themselves.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I would consider 3-5 wins to be about right. If you don't think you can win a championship then winning 6 or more games would be a disaster. It would help ensure mediocrity. Either be bad or good. Being in the middle is where you don't want to be.

So if they win 10- 13 games you would consider that a disaster?

That would be an success, especially after the season they had last year, and the drama that's going throughout this offseason. It also builds confidence all around, and it gives you something to build upon the following year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This team, and the organization, is in a total rebuild.
I believe we should be in total rebuild mode. I don't think the Texans are approaching it as such. We're spending way too much money.

I don't think we brought Phillip Lindsay & Ingram in to "look good" while loosing.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I believe we should be in total rebuild mode. I don't think the Texans are approaching it as such. We're spending way too much money.

I don't think we brought Phillip Lindsay & Ingram in to "look good" while loosing.
If the team is in a rebuilding mode that doesn't mean they have to "tank". My concept of rebuilding is to still put the best team on the field management can, with that team having the positive attitude, and expectation, that they can win.

Dejaview

All Pro

I can’t see how they don’t see it as a rebuild mode. They’ve changed almost the entire roster. But I see rebuild to include DC establishing and rebuilding an identity on both O and D. He wants to run the ball. He’s going to need some key players to start that trend this year. We’ve also seen some additions in that regard on the OL. D to me seems to be trending toward interior line depth/size and speed/aggression on the edges. But we obviously don’t Have much room this year to rebuild through the draft and if we take NC and DC at their word to get better every day this is something we can do this year towards that goal. Just IMO.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can’t see how they don’t see it as a rebuild mode. They’ve changed almost the entire roster.
In a rebuild everything is scrapped. & you start all over. You save your money, you stockpile draft picks & winning now is not a priority

This is more like what happens when you bring in a new HC & GM who believe they can win now.