Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Jack Easterby

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DW4 ain't being brought back. Drafting Mills should be the telling sign.

Good riddance

BTW, BOB being fired had alot to do with the on the field issues for DW4. It's why Kelly's still here. DW4 didn't want to have to learn a new offense.

But truth is we all now know why DW4 wanted to be traded. He was running from the lawsuits/possible jail time. DW4 successfully made Easterby the scapegoat for his legal issues for awhile. The Jig is now up and now DW4 will have to face the consequences of his sordid actions in 1 way or another. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Even though I wanted Easterby to be fired in a full housecleaning. I have a certain amout of empathy for him being put in a terrible situation. He was hired by Cal to figure out where all of the dead bodies were buried. He did his job fully and some fans hate the results he found. This goes for both upper mgmt and the on the field product. I know many disagree with Cal on this (I do too, I wanted a full housecleaning.) But this is why Cal kept Easterby around and in this case I can understand Cal's logic.
I understand your point, but at the end of the day, a so-called "man of God" that lies about his credentials is not a man that I have any respect for. He uses faith to manipulate people to advance his career. Many folks would call that person a fraud and a shyster.

As far as Cal, he has no logic. He's a simpleton that inherited wealth and has no clue how to follow in his father's legacy. He's a rube that would buy into O'Brien's power-hungry demands and then believe in a preacher man's empty platitudes to compensate.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I understand your point, but at the end of the day, a so-called "man of God" that lies about his credentials is not a man that I have any respect for. He uses faith to manipulate people to advance his career. Many folks would call that person a fraud and a shyster.

As far as Cal, he has no logic. He's a simpleton that inherited wealth and has no clue how to follow in his father's legacy. He's a rube that would buy into O'Brien's power-hungry demands and then believe in a preacher man's empty platitudes to compensate.
Post of the Week

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
In a perfect world.....Watson will go to court and clear this legal hurdle. Watson will then make his apology in regards to his foolish actions leading to this even bigger mess. He will mention that he’s also going to seek counseling regarding his situation. He would ask the fans of Houston to forgive him for his actions and promising to deliver with a second chance. He accepts the penalty the NFL hands out and agrees to turn his focus towards bettering himself in the interim.

Watson stays with the Texans for 2021. Taylor covers in his absence up till the Bye-Week. Finley isn’t called on during this period but is either traded or released when Watson is added to the roster. Mills is successfully learning the Texans system while adding some NFL weight and strength. Texans and Watson agree that he’ll complete the 2021 season....then leave the door open for a return in 2022 or finding a trade partner that’s willing to pay the asking price for Watson’s services.

This may serve the Texans in a few scenarios:
1. If Watson stays, the Texans are a better team with him than without him as QB1. Taylor adds plenty of value as QB2. Mills can relax and take a couple of seasons (aka Rogers) preparing for his chance.

2. If Watson plays a limited period at the end of the 2021 season and finishes strong but still wants out of Houston.....he’s obviously cleared the legal and NFL hurdles and delivered on the field. His trade value could be sky high since I’m not seeing the 2022 NFL Draft class of QB’s as amazing.

badboy

Hall of Fame
In a perfect world.....Watson will go to court and clear this legal hurdle. Watson will then make his apology in regards to his foolish actions leading to this even bigger mess. He will mention that he’s also going to seek counseling regarding his situation. He would ask the fans of Houston to forgive him for his actions and promising to deliver with a second chance. He accepts the penalty the NFL hands out and agrees to turn his focus towards bettering himself in the interim.

Watson stays with the Texans for 2021. Taylor covers in his absence up till the Bye-Week. Finley isn’t called on during this period but is either traded or released when Watson is added to the roster. Mills is successfully learning the Texans system while adding some NFL weight and strength. Texans and Watson agree that he’ll complete the 2021 season....then leave the door open for a return in 2022 or finding a trade partner that’s willing to pay the asking price for Watson’s services.

1. If Watson stays, the Texans are a better team with him than without him as QB1. Taylor adds plenty of value as QB2. Mills can relax and take a couple of seasons (aka Rogers) preparing for his chance.

2. If Watson plays a limited period at the end of the 2021 season and finishes strong but still wants out of Houston.....he’s obviously cleared the legal and NFL hurdles and delivered on the field. His trade value could be sky high since I’m not seeing the 2022 NFL Draft class of QB’s as amazing.
That's not how I view a perfect scenario with Watson. I want him gone and I also want the highest draft pick we can get which would not be the case if he was our quarterback in my opinion with this roster.

I also want a trade with Philadelphia bringing us at minimum the three first-round picks. Watson playing for Eagles this season probably lowers the value of Philadelphia's first pick in round one. Keeping that in mind I guess my preference would be that for whatever reason he is not on the field for the Eagles in 2021 either. If he is suspended for 16 games I think that would allow Houston to recoup much of his bonus. Also knowing Watson would not play in 2021 it should encourage the Eagles to trade now to lock him in for his career and not have to pay his base salary 16 million dollars for 2021.

Watson does not play for anyone this season. Houston is able to recover most if not all of his bonus remaining. Eagles trade for Watson post June 1st and does not have to pay his base of 16 million but lock him in as their quarterback beginning in 2022.

Houston can begin to get stench out of our nostrils and look forward to improving our roster with a fulll rack of draft picks which would include four round ones.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I don't care for these types of people either.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Seeing how DW4 was not happy about Caserio being hired, "Some things never change", and how he wanted Bienemy or Saleh as his new HC suggest very strongly DW4 was all in on learning a new (WCO) offense.
Maybe so,

Why was he so big on keeping Kelly around.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This isn't my perfect world.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's not how I view a perfect scenario with Watson. I want him gone and I also want the highest draft pick we can get which would not be the case if he was our quarterback in my opinion with this roster.

I also want a trade with Philadelphia bringing us at minimum the three first-round picks. Watson playing for Eagles this season probably lowers the value of Philadelphia's first pick in round one. Keeping that in mind I guess my preference would be that for whatever reason he is not on the field for the Eagles in 2021 either. If he is suspended for 16 games I think that would allow Houston to recoup much of his bonus. Also knowing Watson would not play in 2021 it should encourage the Eagles to trade now to lock him in for his career and not have to pay his base salary 16 million dollars for 2021.

Watson does not play for anyone this season. Houston is able to recover most if not all of his bonus remaining. Eagles trade for Watson post June 1st and does not have to pay his base of 16 million but lock him in as their quarterback beginning in 2022.

Houston can begin to get stench out of our nostrils and look forward to improving our roster with a fulll rack of draft picks which would include four round ones.
This is my perfect world.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If the Texans finish with more than 4 wins this year does that mean we are a better team without Watson? idonno:

:coffee:
Not necessarily.

This team doesn't have OB;
There's continuity in the coaching staff for the whole year (supposedly).
The D should be better.
The running game should be better.
The Oline, if it holds up healthwise, should be better, especially without Devlin.
The receiving corp should also be slightly better.

But I'm not counting on them winning more than 4 games either.

Last edited:

TexansThunder

Waterboy

Why would a faithful “man of God” who is called to serve become ambitious with acquiring power that results in his dominion over people’s lives?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's a question and answer without much context. It's similar to asking if the Texans defense improves its ranking, are we a better team without Watt?
Of course you would look at things like this.

Although we would have to see how things played out before making a determination.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If the Texans finish with more than 4 wins this year does that mean we are a better team without Watson? idonno:

No. So many factors comes into play. One main component is coaching. In the past 5 years we had bad coaching in key areas, mainly the offensive lines Coach. If the coaching is better in that area, we could win a few more games. Another example would be the defensive coaching.

Texansballer74

The Marine
That's a question and answer without much context. It's similar to asking if the Texans defense improves its ranking, are we a better team without Watt?
That’s a really good question. We all knew JJ was the main man and he had the freedom to freelance therefore, he would neglect his gap responsibilities/setting the edge. He made a lot of great plays doing this so would the defense be better when you don’t have a player with that much freedom verses every player holding down their responsibilities.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
That’s a really good question. We all knew JJ was the main man and he had the freedom to freelance therefore, he would neglect his gap responsibilities/setting the edge. He made a lot of great plays doing this so would the defense be better when you don’t have a player with that much freedom verses every player holding down their responsibilities.
It has been said that the Patriots main mantra is "do your job".

Answer to your question is I don't know.

But Watt in his prime was a joy to watch.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't care for these types of people either.
I have one simple question about Easterby's employment with the Texans: Does he make football better?

I don't care about merchandise sales, gameday experience, food options at NRG, social justice credentials, ticket sales, charity work by a billion dollar entertainment company, or any other non-football related aspect of this franchise.

The ONLY thing that matters to me about the Houston Texans is their football product.

And does this clown make that product better? And, if so, second simple question: How?

Why would a faithful “man of God” who is called to serve become ambitious with acquiring power that results in his dominion over people’s lives?
Historyhas many examples of people using religion to deceive people for personal gain.

"Why do they do it?"
is a question that you'd have to ask them. I can only speculate, but I cannot relate.

TexansThunder

Waterboy
I have one simple question about Easterby's employment with the Texans: Does he make football better?

I don't care about merchandise sales, gameday experience, food options at NRG, social justice credentials, ticket sales, charity work by a billion dollar entertainment company, or any other non-football related aspect of this franchise.

The ONLY thing that matters to me about the Houston Texans is their football product.

And does this clown make that product better? And, if so, second simple question: How?

Historyhas many examples of people using religion to deceive people for personal gain.

"Why do they do it?" is a question that you'd have to ask them. I can only speculate, but I cannot relate.
Appreciate the response, It was more of a rhetorical question. I was in a church once where a beloved pastor used people for personal gain. Church went down hill - people were fooled. Easterby reminds me of him. Texans are not in very good hands as long as he is in the building.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Appreciate the response, It was more of a rhetorical question. I was in a church once where a beloved pastor used people for personal gain. Church went down hill - people were fooled. Easterby reminds me of him. Texans are not in very good hands as long as he is in the building.
All without ever speaking to the man.

I don’t know Easterby from Adam. But this kind of thinking baffles me. We don’t know what he does or doesn’t do. We don’t know if the team is “in his hands” or if he’s Cal’s yes man, or “hey boy”.

What we have is speculation built on speculation. And somehow we get, “as long as he’s in the building”

As if we were a Championship Contender before he got here.

What was before wasn’t working. I’m just waiting to see what will be.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I don’t know Easterby from Adam. But this kind of thinking baffles me. We don’t know what he does or doesn’t do. We don’t know if the team is “in his hands” or if he’s Cal’s yes man, or “hey boy”.

What we have is speculation built on speculation. And somehow we get, “as long as he’s in the building”

Well that speculation stems from something. It just doesn’t show up out of thin air. There is a record of how things have gone around here since he’s been here, starting with Brian Gaine getting whacked 18 months into a 5 year deal, then getting hit with tampering accusations for the man you were going to replace him with, which you should have made sure was coming before firing your GM, which then led to Bill O’Brien taking more control and really ******* this thing up. Imagine where we’d be if Gaine didn’t get fired until after 2020 and Caserio was for sure on his way.

Then there’s mild mannered Andre Johnson breaking character after 18 years and starts naming names, among many other things that have taken place in the short time he’s been here. So there’s a history there. Can’t help it if you choose to ignore all of that. And I can’t recall ever having discussions like this for any other VP of FO ever, so why this one?

It may all be just speculation and nothing more, but that speculation comes from everything that has happened. And go ahead and enlighten me to where any of it has been positive.

And as far as this wasn’t a championship contender before he got here is concerned, that falls more on the ownership. And yes, ownership is why the Pastor is here in the first place and has ascended to the level he has, so that’s where the ultimate issue lies, but that doesn’t take away from anything the Pastor has done in his time here, speculative or not.

TexansThunder

Waterboy

Easterby pushed some good people out. One of his terminations hit close to home.

As a fan, that's the viewpoint (and I share it too) however what he brings to Cal is ultimately the only question.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And yes, ownership is why the Pastor is here in the first place and has ascended to the level he has, so that’s where the ultimate issue lies, but that doesn’t take away from anything the Pastor has done in his time here, speculative or not.
I think that skews the issue. "We" say the goofy started happening when Easterby got here. But truth be told it started when Bob passed away.

Cal even said as much, Easterby has been doing what he's told.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think that skews the issue. "We" say the goofy started happening when Easterby got here. But truth be told it started when Bob passed away.

Man thank you. Lol exactly man some people act like they didn’t see the nonsense that was going on after the passing of Mr. McNair and the extra power that was awarded to Bill O’Brien. O’Brien didn’t earn a HC job let alone a GM position.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Man thank you. Lol exactly man some people act like they didn’t see the nonsense that was going on after the passing of Mr. McNair and the extra power that was awarded to Bill O’Brien. O’Brien didn’t earn a HC job let alone a GM position.

Bob passed 11-23-18 (that's farther back then I would've guessed, wow.) There were a lot of operational misses before then but most of the truly egregious bs has happened after that.

It's always been easy to poke fun at Easterby and I'm probably more guilty then most (see avatar.) I blamed him a lot for the dw disconnect prior to the 22 coming out. Considering things being what they are now though, jack was probably just trying to steer dw out of being the dumpster fire he is...

And that led to the original trade demand.

I should probably change my avatar.

Texian

Hall of Fame
As @Double Barrel pointed out he's a fraud and a shyster. Let me add that he's a human being too.

You're trying to foolishly convince yourself that the Texans will be better without JJ Watt.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Well that speculation stems from something. It just doesn’t show up out of thin air. There is a record of how things have gone around here since he’s been here, starting with Brian Gaine getting whacked 18 months into a 5 year deal, then getting hit with tampering accusations for the man you were going to replace him with, which you should have made sure was coming before firing your GM, which then led to Bill O’Brien taking more control and really ******* this thing up. Imagine where we’d be if Gaine didn’t get fired until after 2020 and Caserio was for sure on his way.

Then there’s mild mannered Andre Johnson breaking character after 18 years and starts naming names, among many other things that have taken place in the short time he’s been here. So there’s a history there. Can’t help it if you choose to ignore all of that. And I can’t recall ever having discussions like this for any other VP of FO ever, so why this one?

It may all be just speculation and nothing more, but that speculation comes from everything that has happened. And go ahead and enlighten me to where any of it has been positive.

And as far as this wasn’t a championship contender before he got here is concerned, that falls more on the ownership. And yes, ownership is why the Pastor is here in the first place and has ascended to the level he has, so that’s where the ultimate issue lies, but that doesn’t take away from anything the Pastor has done in his time here, speculative or not.
As a fan, that's the viewpoint (and I share it too) however what he brings to Cal is ultimately the only question.
Bob passed 11-23-18 (that's farther back then I would've guessed, wow.) There were a lot of operational misses before then but most of the truly egregious bs has happened after that.

It's always been easy to poke fun at Easterby and I'm probably more guilty then most (see avatar.) I blamed him a lot for the dw disconnect prior to the 22 coming out. Considering things being what they are now though, jack was probably just trying to steer dw out of being the dumpster fire he is...

And that led to the original trade demand.

I should probably change my avatar.
There is a considerable amount of love for Caserio on this board. By all accounts, there should be an equal amount of infatuation for Jack Easterby. It was Jack and Bill O'Brien who made the Caserio hire possible. I don't know how on one hand Easterby is the dastardly evil villain but on the other hand Jack must be a Saint for putting Cal on a plane to go hire Nick. I'm afraid that Nick Caserio is going to turn out just like every other Easterby and O'Brien decision.

@steelbtexan is right, this going to be the lost decade. Except that it is not going to be a QB player issue that causes it. If you want a new start and a new beginning for the Houston Texans you only need to start at the top and fumigate the entire Kirby boardroom. In other words what the Houston Texans need is an enema. Until then it will be more of the same. Just like DW4 said, some things never change.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Beat me to it.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Of course it started when Bob passed. Cal brought in and/or trusted the people he has, and that is what it is. But do you think Cal came up with the idea to fire Gaine 18 months into a 5 year deal, and BEFORE they had his replacement secured, along with all the other crap personnel moves they've made since? That isn't on him, other than him trusting his people and signing off on it. I get that the ownership is an issue, and the blame ultimately falls there, but that doesn't mean the snakes he's let into his circle aren't blameless.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Of course it started when Bob passed. Cal brought in and/or trusted the people he has, and that is what it is. But do you think Cal came up with the idea to fire Gaine 18 months into a 5 year deal, and BEFORE they had his replacement secured, along with all the other crap personnel moves they've made since? That isn't on him, other than him trusting his people and signing off on it. I get that the ownership is an issue, and the blame ultimately falls there, but that doesn't mean the snakes he's let into his circle aren't blameless.
During that time Bill O’Brien had Cal under his spell. Cal did whatever O’Brien told him to do.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yeah, I'm sure you do.

During that time Bill O’Brien had Cal under his spell. Cal did whatever O’Brien told him to do.
So who's to blame? Cal or OB? Does the Pastor not have Cal under his spell now, doing whatever he tells him to do?
Cal may be "under spells" and like I said, it ultimately falls on him, but that doesn't mean OB, or the Pastor, hasn't done incredible damage to this organization.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yeah, I'm sure you do.

So who's to blame? Cal or OB? Does the Pastor not have Cal under his spell now, doing whatever he tells him to do?
Cal may be "under spells" and like I said, it ultimately falls on him, but that doesn't mean OB, or the Pastor, hasn't done incredible damage to this organization.
Oh it’s on Cal for being so freaking weak and easy to manipulate.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And that's fine. But you can't not spread the blame to those who are doing the manipulating. They're the ones attaching themselves to Mr. Gullible and having their way with him.
I don’t subscribe to the manipulation theory. Brian Gain had an “issue” Cal fired him because of it & not being on the same page with BO’b was a contributing factor.

I doubt anyone, Easterby or whoever, suggested it was a good idea to release Gaine & promote BO’b who he fired in the same vein as firing Gaine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or Gaine had to be let go because of an HR issue and Cal being Cal was in over his head.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Or the Pastor did exactly what Cal hired him to do after Bob McNair passed away. Find the dead bodies in the org both on the field and in the FO.

TexansThunder

Waterboy
Out of curiosity. Did they give any reasons why Easterby felt the need to push them out? How was the workplace environment after Easterby joined the team?

Andre Johnson was on point with his criticism of Easterby. I will defer to his comments for now.

I’m disappointed in Easterby more so than Cal or O’Brien (Easterby terminated O’Brien as part of his fluid evaluation of the team - nine months after going to the playoffs).

To his credit, O’Brien made the playoffs with some no so great QBs like Hoyer and won the AFC South more than once. Then lost a power struggle with Easterby.

Long serving employees with the Texans were let go by a man who hasn’t been on the job that long and knows absolutely squat about football.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
And that's fine. But you can't not spread the blame to those who are doing the manipulating. They're the ones attaching themselves to Mr. Gullible and having their way with him.
I think after Bob McNair died, there was a power vacuum in the organization. Whether the McNair family was still in the process of grieving or Cal was not interested in stepping up and leading the organization, O'Brien and Easterby eagerly took advantage of the situation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Andre Johnson was on point with his criticism of Easterby. I will defer to his comments for now.

I’m disappointed in Easterby more so than Cal or O’Brien (Easterby terminated O’Brien as part of his fluid evaluation of the team - nine months after going to the playoffs).

To his credit, O’Brien made the playoffs with some no so great QBs like Hoyer and won the AFC South more than once. Then lost a power struggle with Easterby.

Long serving employees with the Texans were let go by a man who hasn’t been on the job that long and knows absolutely squat about football.
Easterby did what Cal hired him to do.

Of course long time employees didn't like some of his findings. There were some bad things going on in the Texans FO. Look at the employee getting fired for sexual harassment and Gaine's HR issues as a clue as to what was really going on down on Kirby. Easterby was brought in to cleanup that mess. He did his job.

That said, I'm not a fan of people who use God in a way to advance their careers.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think after Bob McNair died, there was a power vacuum in the organization. Whether the McNair family was still in the process of grieving or Cal was not interested in stepping up and leading the organization, O'Brien and Easterby eagerly took advantage of the situation.
For the good and mostly the bad Bob McNair was able to exert his influence and address conflict. Cal can not do that. Cal avoids conflict and tough decision making. Cal does not know how to do that or he simply cannot force himself into that situation. Sadly this says that Cal does not have the business mind to run a business. Cal has to have somebody who can do that for him. Easterby is that guy for Cal.