Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Jack Easterby

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At least those guys have a football background. They were personnel. The Pastor, not so much. Apples to oranges comparison.
He's been working in the NFL longer than Mayock was associated with any team. I think Easterby's NFL career is about as long as Lynch's was.

Hiring Mayock is like making McClain your GM... apples

Earl34

Hall of Fame
@thunderkyss, what do you think Easterby's role is with the Texans? Obviously neither Cal, Caserio or Easterby have ever stated his role and responsibilities. What do you think he does for the Texans?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
@thunderkyss, what do you think Easterby's role is with the Texans? Obviously neither Cal, Caserio or Easterby have ever stated his role and responsibilities. What do you think he does for the Texans?
Everything.

I don’t think he makes any important decisions on his own, but he consults with all the decision makers on important decisions.

Pretty much keep everyone focused & making team oriented decisions.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He's been working in the NFL longer than Mayock was associated with any team. I think Easterby's NFL career is about as long as Lynch's was.

Mayock is way more qualified to evaluate personnel than McClain is. McClain is way more qualified to critique movies than Mayock is.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mayock is way more qualified to evaluate personnel than McClain is. McClain is way more qualified to critique movies than Mayock is.
GM job is a lot more than watching college players work out in shorts. Mayock may very well be more qualified to be a scout, I’ll give him that.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

McClain is a mouth piece qualified to write articles people may want to read. He offers little inside information (since the oilers) and offers common sense opinions with enough conviction people take it as truth.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

And what exactly is the Pastor's NFL career?? 8 years of chaplain/character coach? Lynch actually played the game for 15 years. Mayock has at least been in the game as a draft analyst for years. Not that any of that makes you qualified, but more so than a ******* team chaplain. And if it's about being employed by an NFL team, I'm sure there's a janitor for some team somewhere that's been there longer than any of them.

And FWIW, I'd take McClain's opinions on football over the Pastor's any day of the week. And I've got the bar set very low for Pancakes.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And what exactly is the Pastor's NFL career?? 8 years of chaplain/character coach? Lynch actually played the game for 15 years. Mayock has at least been in the game as a draft analyst for years. Not that any of that makes you qualified, but more so than a ******* team chaplain. And if it's about being employed by an NFL team, I'm sure there's a janitor for some team somewhere that's been there longer than any of them.

And FWIW, I'd take McClain's opinions on football over the Pastor's any day of the week. And I've got the bar set very low for Pancakes.

I wanna agree with everything you said but it's hard to when you don't know Easterby's opinion.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My point is not that Easterby is qualified. But as you’ve pointed out qualifications don’t mean anything. If the owner wants you for a position, you’re in. Don’t need any qualifications.

Lynch played for 15 years, Mayock was a glorified reporter for 20 years... Easterby has been employed by NFL teams for 15 years.

& if you owned an NFL you could do that who cares what anyone else says?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
GM job is a lot more than watching college players work out in shorts. Mayock may very well be more qualified to be a scout, I’ll give him that.
Understood, Gruden is running that franchise and Mayock is doing a good job of carrying out Gruden's wishes. This is what a GM/HC working together looks like.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Good thing is the Pastor isn't in charge of personnel.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
My point is not that Easterby is qualified. But as you’ve pointed out qualifications don’t mean anything. If the owner wants you for a position, you’re in. Don’t need any qualifications.

Lynch played for 15 years, Mayock was a glorified reporter for 20 years... Easterby has been employed by NFL teams for 15 years.

& if you owned an NFL you could do that who cares what anyone else says?

This has got to be it ....unless Easterby really does know where the body is hid !

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well golly gee, I guess Easterby can be considered a football guy after all considering he was recognized as a “coach” for many years prior to coming to the Texans right? Or does that not count either?

You guys can’t have it both ways.
That’s the way the world works. Some will like the dude and some won’t.

banned1976

sleeper mode
& none of us knows him.
I didn't know Rick Smith either but I knew when his time here had come and gone. Which, btw, should have been after the 2013 season

I don't feel anyone with culpability in the creation of this abomination of a team should remain in their position of power. It has nothing at all to do with his corny sermons, his religious preference, his personality, or even his character, something that has been attacked on this board. It's the stain of absolute failure. Easterby was at least partially responsible for the mess we see now with the Texans. He is part of the systemic dysfunction that sits in the center of the organization.

Anyway, if the Texans start winning, people will forget all about Easterby. IMHO though, that's not going to happen anytime soon. And it concerns me as a fan barely hanging on to my interest in my hometown team that the people making decisions are very, very close to owners that have proven they don't know what the **** they're doing.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't know Rick Smith either but I knew when his time here had come and gone. Which, btw, should have been after the 2013 season

I don't feel anyone with culpability in the creation of this abomination of a team should remain in their position of power. It has nothing at all to do with his corny sermons, his religious preference, his personality, or even his character, something that has been attacked on this board. It's the stain of absolute failure. Easterby was at least partially responsible for the mess we see now with the Texans. He is part of the systemic dysfunction that sits in the center of the organization.

Anyway, if the Texans start winning, people will forget all about Easterby. IMHO though, that's not going to happen anytime soon. And it concerns me as a fan barely hanging on to my interest in my hometown team that the people making decisions are very, very close to owners that have proven they don't know what the **** they're doing.
Is the Texans FO currently dysfunctional?

If there's any dysfunction on Kirby, it's coming from DW4's idiocity. To think Cal let DW4 have input in his billion dollar business, LMAO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans have not reached the level of success I hoped for. & the next few years look bleak.

& there’s a lot of if’s in my reasoning that no one wants to hear.

The fact is this team has performed better than half the teams in this league & we have to hope for five years of losing to be the abomination you speak of.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Eh, if that's all this is for you ...that they win for you to garner their support...then you were never a "fan-atic" to begin with, you were just a casual observer.........no issues with that whatsoever. But many of us here are fanatics who in large part are just eternal optimists for this team with varying degrees of our fanaticism. For instance, i am a fan who hardly goes to games, doesn't have a ton of merch & hasn't ever tailgated or been to a tailgate at Reliant/NRG in the 20 years of their existence; its just not my cup of tea....but I closely follow the team in everything....all news, trades, videos and ANYTHING Texans related & I will defend the organization and players against any other fan or person who wants to **** on them or go at it; I don't care how bad things appear on the outside. i can also count on 1 hand how many games i've missed them play live on the tube in 20 years. Yes i want to see this team win at the highest level in the absolute worst way, but i ain't tied to them financially like some are & i'm not so tied to them emotionally in that it just ruins my whole week if they lose...There was a point in time where that was the case, but i've since learned how to balance that.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mr teX posted this video in the Watson lawsuit thread (good find, too!), but I thought it would be good here, as well:

Watch what Andre Johnson has to say about Jack Easterby when he expounds on his Twitter statement. AJ is the best source we have as someone that knows this organization, has worked in the front office, and has been around Easterby in a role beyond just being a character coach.

Now, if you can find anyone that can share this type of insider perspective on Easterby as it relates to being a front office exec for a football team (not character coach/preacher), please share, but I know it most likely does not exist.

AJ has no apparent animosity toward Jack. He's just calling it like he sees it. JMO, but I'm taking things at face value, not "wished for" and "hoped for" conclusions.

But, keep watching. It is clear that the inherent problem is not Jack Easterby. Like I've said many times before, he is merely a symptom of inept owners. And when you listen to the experiences of the entire round table, it is obvious that the Texans do not have a monopoly on incompetent front offices.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Mr teX posted this video in the Watson lawsuit thread (good find, too!), but I thought it would be good here, as well:

Watch what Andre Johnson has to say about Jack Easterby when he expounds on his Twitter statement. AJ is the best source we have as someone that knows this organization, has worked in the front office, and has been around Easterby in a role beyond just being a character coach.

Now, if you can find anyone that can share this type of insider perspective on Easterby as it relates to being a front office exec for a football team (not character coach/preacher), please share, but I know it most likely does not exist.

AJ has no apparent animosity toward Jack. He's just calling it like he sees it. JMO, but I'm taking things at face value, not "wished for" and "hoped for" conclusions.

But, keep watching. It is clear that the inherent problem is not Jack Easterby. Like I've said many times before, he is merely a symptom of inept owners. And when you listen to the experiences of the entire round table, it is obvious that the Texans do not have a monopoly on incompetent front offices.
lol "undoubtedly"

Texansballer74

The Marine

He does have some animosity towards Easterby because of the Hopkins trade and how quickly he moved up. He didn't like what he was seeing and decided to part ways.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I think we can all agree on that the Texans ownership is going to have to luck themselves in good choices to make it to the next level. Find someone who can manage them and the team.

Hopefully that person is Caserio. If OB can stick around for as long as he did then there is hope.

Bright 1

Practice Squad
Eh, if that's all this is for you ...that they win for you to garner their support...then you were never a "fan-atic" to begin with, you were just a casual observer.........no issues with that whatsoever. But many of us here are fanatics who in large part are just eternal optimists for this team with varying degrees of our fanaticism. For instance, i am a fan who hardly goes to games, doesn't have a ton of merch & hasn't ever tailgated or been to a tailgate at Reliant/NRG in the 20 years of their existence; its just not my cup of tea....but I closely follow the team in everything....all news, trades, videos and ANYTHING Texans related & I will defend the organization and players against any other fan or person who wants to **** on them or go at it; I don't care how bad things appear on the outside. i can also count on 1 hand how many games i've missed them play live on the tube in 20 years. Yes i want to see this team win at the highest level in the absolute worst way, but i ain't tied to them financially like some are & i'm not so tied to them emotionally in that it just ruins my whole week if they lose...There was a point in time where that was the case, but i've since learned how to balance that.
Same Here

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

AJ has some cred...but he loses a lot of it simply b/c his statements come off as sour grapes about how his career went. Easterby wasn’t here for any of his career and Cal wasn’t running things back then either. He also was only around for 1 year on the coaching staff....which as it turned out was the absolute worst year to be around on the staff b/c that was the year BoB was doing the most. AJ doesn’t speak AT ALL about BoB’s role in all that...the guy who was ultimately the person who made the decisions when it came down to roster moves. He instead lays it all at Easterby’s feet. He also somewhat absolves himself from decisions HE made along the way during his career. Basically saying, “if they’re offering this money, I/we GOTTA. take it” and that’s just not true. If you truly want to compete for championships then you might have to pass on that offer and hit FA & take that chance to go somewhere you feel is in a better position to do so...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
AJ is right about the timetable. Nothing good has happened since Easterby has arrived. Wether that be because he exposed the dirty little secret, or just dumb luck. We need football guys in football positions.
we had that when AJ was here and it didn’t exactly lead to great success either. Casserly, Capers....Smith and Kubiak were football “lifers”. What AJ is asserting is just his skewed view and the main problem I have with it is that it doesn’t line up with the same mentality that allows them to excel on the field. When they’re on the field, most of these guys are alpha dogs. Like they truly believe that THEY are the 1 player that’s going to make the difference..WR’s are EXPRESSLY labeled as divas b/c of that type of mentality. But when it comes to things outside of that in the business and/or control over your career, it’s always someone else’s fault.

We as fans always here the rhetoric about winning being important to these guys, but time and time again we see them going to the highest bidder when they do get the ability to choose their destination. Maybe if more put their money where their mouth is, the sentiment amongst fans would change. But until such time....you get no sympathy from me as a fan.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
Just bad karma it seems.

we had that when AJ was here and it didn’t exactly lead to great success either. Casserly, Capers....Smith and Kubiak were football “lifers”. What AJ is asserting is just his skewed view and the main problem I have with it is that it doesn’t line up with the same mentality that allows them to excel on the field. When they’re on the field, most of these guys are alpha dogs. Like they truly believe that THEY are the 1 player that’s going to make the difference..WR’s are EXPRESSLY labeled as divas b/c of that type of mentality. But when it comes to things outside of that in the business and/or control over your career, it’s always someone else’s fault.

We as fans always here the rhetoric about winning being important to these guys, but time and time again we see them going to the highest bidder when they do get the ability to choose their destination. Maybe if more put their money where their mouth is, the sentiment amongst fans would change. But until such time....you get no sympathy from me as a fan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
AJ is right about the timetable. Nothing good has happened since Easterby has arrived. Wether that be because he exposed the dirty little secret, or just dumb luck. We need football guys in football positions.
Luckily Caserio is running the football opps.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
AJ has some cred...but he loses a lot of it simply b/c his statements come off as sour grapes about how his career went. Easterby wasn’t here for any of his career and Cal wasn’t running things back then either. He also was only around for 1 year on the coaching staff....which as it turned out was the absolute worst year to be around on the staff b/c that was the year BoB was doing the most. AJ doesn’t speak AT ALL about BoB’s role in all that...the guy who was ultimately the person who made the decisions when it came down to roster moves. He instead lays it all at Easterby’s feet. He also somewhat absolves himself from decisions HE made along the way during his career. Basically saying, “if they’re offering this money, I/we GOTTA. take it” and that’s just not true. If you truly want to compete for championships then you might have to pass on that offer and hit FA & take that chance to go somewhere you feel is in a better position to do so...
Dre has every right to have sour grapes towards the organisation because they had a procedure performed on him that shortened his career and then allowed a new coach to show him the door. He helped build the team to a point where they should have been contenders then wasted his career. Don’t forget Dre is contemporary with Larry Fitzgerald yet seems like ancient history.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Dre has every right to have sour grapes towards the organisation because they had a procedure performed on him that shortened his career and then allowed a new coach to show him the door. He helped build the team to a point where they should have been contenders then wasted his career. Don’t forget Dre is contemporary with Larry Fitzgerald yet seems like ancient history.
This has to be a joke.

A., he elected to have that procedure done, The Texans didn't make him have it. B. the dispute was never about whether he had "the right" its about blaming everyone but yourself when things don't pan out the way you'd like them to....which is what he did. Like he didn't elect to stay when he had the opportunity to leave well before BoB got here.......Like he was forced to sign a bad deal that he let his uncle draw up for him.....Like he couldn't speak up when he had the opportunity to about things he didn't like when he was playing.

Fact is, he's as much responsible for wasting his own career as anyone in that FO ever was. He was shown the door like any other player b/c he was done.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
NC in press conferences always cites other people when talking about the draft, so he is either being careful to exclude him in public so we don't get worked up, or Easterby does a great job bringing the Kolaches and Starbucks
Apparently he does all the "onboarding" of new personnel.
If I was Caserio and became GM, I wouldn't want anybody telling me how to do my job - not even a buddy - I might listen to an opinion, but will then offer my own.
Easterby has been downgraded so all this concern about him still having his hands on the control levers needs to settle down.
All of these picks have Caserio and not Easterby written all over them.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Apparently he does all the "onboarding" of new personnel.
If I was Caserio and became GM, I wouldn't want anybody telling me how to do my job - not even a buddy - I might listen to an opinion, but will then offer my own.
Easterby has been downgraded so all this concern about him still having his hands on the control levers needs to settle down.
All of these picks have Caserio and not Easterby written all over them.
With that one sentence, you probably provided more information on his role than Caserio or Cal. To this day when they are asked about Easterby's role. They give the ambiguous, "Jack is very talented in many areas. He has a passion to serve and helps us in various areas". They never define his role and responsibilities to the media or fans.

When you look at any successful organizations, you can look up and down the org chart and get specific, defined roles and responsibilities. It's odd that you can't do that with the Texans and that's why there is always going to be concerns or speculation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With that one sentence, you probably provided more information on his role than Caserio or Cal. To this day when they are asked about Easterby's role. They give the ambiguous, "Jack is very talented in many areas. He has a passion to serve and helps us in various areas". They never define his role and responsibilities to the media or fans.

When you look at any successful organizations, you can look up and down the org chart and get specific, defined roles and responsibilities. It's odd that you can't do that with the Texans and that's why there is always going to be concerns or speculation.
That 1 statement was an opinion, not a fact.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That 1 statement was an opinion, not a fact.
Yep. I'm sure that "executive vice president of football operations" is just a figurehead position with no influential power because. . .[REASONS]

I assume the Easterboys will fill in the blanks because most of us have absolutely no clue what Easterby does for this organization besides whispering sweet, shallow platitudes to the naked emperor's empty cranium.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep. I'm sure that "executive vice president of football operations" is just a figurehead position with no influential power because. . .[REASONS]

I assume the Easterboys will fill in the blanks because most of us have absolutely no clue what Easterby does for this organization besides whispering sweet, shallow platitudes to the naked emperor's empty cranium.
Nobody knows what Easterby does.

That's the point.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I agree and getting rid of Easterby might just cool DW4's anger enough to get him to climb back onto the Texans boat.
Cal McNair is not about to fire himself.
If getting rid of Easterby is not enough then we know for sure he is pissed about losing Nuk and just "following the leader" like a bleating sheep - and O'Brien is no longer here.
Personally, I think the issue is about losing Nuk because Caserio is smart enough to realize that a franchise QB is much more important to his own personal success than a man with a wishy washy role that anyone can do.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree and getting rid of Easterby might just cool DW4's anger enough to get him to climb back onto the Texans boat.
Cal McNair is not about to fire himself.
If getting rid of Easterby is not enough then we know for sure he is pissed about losing Nuk and just "following the leader" like a bleating sheep - and O'Brien is no longer here.
Personally, I think the issue is about losing Nuk because Caserio is smart enough to realize that a franchise QB is much more important to his own personal success than a man with a wishy washy role that anyone can do.
DW4 ain't being brought back. Drafting Mills should be the telling sign.

Good riddance

BTW, BOB being fired had alot to do with the on the field issues for DW4. It's why Kelly's still here. DW4 didn't want to have to learn a new offense.

But truth is we all now know why DW4 wanted to be traded. He was running from the lawsuits/possible jail time. DW4 successfully made Easterby the scapegoat for his legal issues for awhile. The Jig is now up and now DW4 will have to face the consequences of his sordid actions in 1 way or another. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Even though I wanted Easterby to be fired in a full housecleaning. I have a certain amout of empathy for him being put in a terrible situation. He was hired by Cal to figure out where all of the dead bodies were buried. He did his job fully and some fans hate the results he found. This goes for both upper mgmt and the on the field product. I know many disagree with Cal on this (I do too, I wanted a full housecleaning.) But this is why Cal kept Easterby around and in this case I can understand Cal's logic.

Last edited: