Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Jack Easterby

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Lots of questions are surfacing about Jack Easterby's power and influence in the Texans front office, especially considering his lack of qualifications and history of BS:

Florio is basically insinuating that Easterby is a bullshit artist that has Cal McNair under his spell.

Firing O'Brien was only part of the solution. Hiring a new GM and HC will be extremely important, so it is acceptable to question the credentials of the Texans executive vice president of football operations.
Josh McDaniels here we come!

Maybe we can get Lil’Belicheck as DC?

(This is not an endorsement.)

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Josh McDaniels here we come!

Maybe we can get Lil’Belicheck as DC?

(This is not an endorsement.)
Yep. Expect more bush league shenanigans from these owners. I'm sure they'll probably hire a HC first and let him pick out his own GM. Bassackwards is their M.O.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. I just study history, so they would have to break out of their own historical mold.

As Frank Zappa once said, “without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
.Report: Texans owner is “expected to lean heavily” on Jack Easterby in coaching search

Texans executive V.P. of football operations Jack Easterby emerges from the firing of coach/G.M. Bill O’Brien with considerable power in the organization, even though his hiring for that position never was subject to a diverse search that complied with the Rooney Rule. Now, Easterby will have a major voice in a pair of hires that the Texans eventually make: Coach and General Manager.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Texans owner Cal McNair is “expected to lean heavily” on Easterby for “what’s expected to be a wide-ranging coaching search.” Wilson also reports that Easterby is “expected to be a key figure in guiding the organization through this transition.”

Source
:spin::spit:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Texans owner Cal McNair is “expected to lean heavily” on Easterby for “what’s expected to be a wide-ranging coaching search.” Wilson also reports that Easterby is “expected to be a key figure in guiding the organization through this transition.”
So, no executive search committee? That's not very Texan.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about Easterby, but thought I had read on the board more than once that he has little to no football experience?

texanhead08

All Pro
Lots of questions are surfacing about Jack Easterby's power and influence in the Texans front office, especially considering his lack of qualifications and history of BS:

Florio is basically insinuating that Easterby is a bullshit artist that has Cal McNair under his spell.

Firing O'Brien was only part of the solution. Hiring a new GM and HC will be extremely important, so it is acceptable to question the credentials of the Texans executive vice president of football operations.

They both need to go they are joined at the hip we went through this already with Gary and Rick you need to clean house and start over.

LikeMike

Veteran
I have no idea if Easterby knows what he is doing or not - and I have no idea if Cal McNair has any idea what he is doing. What I am saying is: there is no one in this building that I totally trust at this time. Maybe Easterby doesn't know what he is doing, but he still has good instincts - maybe he is just looking out for himself trying to get more power and money.

At this point I would just like them to not think, they are the smartest person in the room anymore. O'Brien did a lot of decisions that most pundits and experts heavily disagree with. I would be happy, if they just follow what these so called experts suggest they do. Because I don't think anyone on the Texans actually is smarter... get one of the obvious candidates at GM and at HC and let them build out the rest of the coaching staff.

gafftop

All Pro
James “Jack” Harold Easterby IV is an American Christian pastor, speaker, author, and sports administrator who serves the New England Patriots as their Team Development / Character Development Coach.
WTF??? Really??? ******* Character Development Coach. What BS.
McNairs being taken again. Just thought Cal and Janice figured that they had no clothes on. This guy on the surface seems to be a bigger con man than butthead. Stupid is as stupid does. Again I value this board in making football decesions way above the McNairs.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

Seth Payne tees off on Easterby during his guest spot on the latest Around The NFL podcast. Said his only interest is in amassing power. Played O’Brien at his own game sidling up to ownership and disseminating info through the media to suit his agenda.
It’s a very interesting listen. Also interesting how loud some of the anti O’Brien voices are now.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I obviously don't know Easterby in the real world, and all we have to go on is media, a few interviews, a resume, and lots of speculation.

All of that said, I still have yet to find anyone out there that offers any sort of endorsement of him as a front office football franchise executive.

I give Cal/Janice props for cutting their losses by firing O'Brien. But, that was the easy part. Based on two decades of watching and studying the McNair family as owners, my gut instinct is that they are still naive about football operations and can be very gullible to those that claim to be experts.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
OB cozies up to Daddy McNair enough to put enough doubt in his head about RS that his leaving under any circumstances was inevitable.

OB then asks and is given Gaines as his new GM.

OB and Easterby push Director of Football Adminstration out and replace him with Kevin Krajcovic. Maybe OB wants to eliminate anyone who could offer pushback on his plan and put someone in who would bend to his wishes.

OB dumps Gaines and becomes GM.

Easterby is the team's.....whatever....spiritual leader. Maybe Easterby is hearing the grumbling amongst the players and decides that there are cracks in the foundation forming.

Easterby see's his opportunity and uses that to his advantage in getting OB ousted and himself secured in gaining more authority within the organization.

Man.....I feel like I've been following a 7 season "NFL Survivor" series and the McNair's are the one's getting played by the contestants. McNair's must find someone that can educate them on how to become NFL Franchise Owners. Easterby shouldn't be anywhere near the crucial decisions facing the Texans going forward.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If he's around Cal in the process, expect every candidate to be run through the "Easterby filter" for processing:

Popular 'character coach' Jack Easterby leaves Patriots after six seasons

Excerpt:

The Globe reported that Easterby felt his time in New England "had run its course" but was also uncomfortable with the situation involving owner Robert Kraft, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of soliciting prostitutes.

-------------------------------

Easterby, who also served as the Patriots' team chaplain, arrived in New England in 2013 and was tasked with helping players and coaches navigate the Aaron Hernandez fallout.

Full article: USA Today
This mentality perfectly aligns with the infamous Bob McNair inspired quote from Matt Schaub about players needing to be "Texans worthy".

And it makes me wonder how much Easterby's influence was felt in the Nuk trade considering the comments that were made public after it went down.

welsh texan

Let me be the first to send him a thank you note then. :brando:
It’s worrying that the organisation is getting played this way though. Apparently OB was blindsided by his pal Easterby doing him like this. You look back to Rick Smith staying in position so long and being the godfather of Cal’s kids etc. In business it usually isn’t a good idea to let your employees in too close like that.

Jack is a pastor. Seth Payne describes him as handing out the kind of info you get from an airport bookstand motivional speaking book. Cal seems to lap these characters up.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This was posted in another thread, but thought it would be good here, too.

Stephanie Stradley, aka Texans Chick, just dropped a fantastic article that sheds some more light on Easterby:

Stephanie Stradley's case for a new and better Texans GM

Excerpt:

Apparently, the new person in charge of the GM committee is executive vice president of football operations, Jack Easterby.

In his column, the Houston Chronicle's John McClain wrote, “Although McNair hasn’t decided about how he wants to restructure the football side of the organization, Easterby will play a key role and will be part of the interview process to hire O’Brien’s replacement.”

Keeping him with the Texans is a huge mistake based on all known information.

Full Article

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Stephanie linked the following article that is worth having it's own post:

Bedard: Why the Patriots are burning mad at Jack Easterby and the Texans

And, for Easterby, that includes being a general manager or even higher within an NFL organization. And it's that understated lust for power — and his desire to be around power — that has left many feeling Easterby is a bit of an opportunist with an agenda.

Easterby might have started in football as a team chaplain. But his road has been no different than every other staffer with dreams of being a head coach or general manager.

Full Article
"Jack likes power. And maybe even more than that, he likes being around power," said a Patriots source. "He gets influence because he is someone (who is) trustworthy and knows how to connect with people so that they listen to him and so that they will communicate with him. He’s good at his job, which is having his finger on the pulse of the program and knowing how to connect with people."

The following was written in JUNE 2019:

That would leave a power void in Houston for Easterby himself to step into once he ingratiates himself in the organization. (We're only a few steps away from Easterby sidling up to McNair and being in a position to take over Texans' entire football operations whenever O'Brien is fired.)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Stephanie linked the following article that is worth having it's own post:

"Jack likes power. And maybe even more than that, he likes being around power," said a Patriots source. "He gets influence because he is someone (who is) trustworthy and knows how to connect with people so that they listen to him and so that they will communicate with him. He’s good at his job, which is having his finger on the pulse of the program and knowing how to connect with people."

The following was written in JUNE 2019:

That would leave a power void in Houston for Easterby himself to step into once he ingratiates himself in the organization. (We're only a few steps away from Easterby sidling up to McNair and being in a position to take over Texans' entire football operations whenever O'Brien is fired.)
It is what it is... we're not going to get through it, until we get to it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Easterby is 50% part of the problem.
Yep. Which is why he should not be a part of any attempted solution.

Cal is probably the kind of guy that will dig in his position the more people doubt it. I've got a feeling that Easterby will be around for a while, so the collective Texans fan rejoicing from O'Brien's departure will be short lived.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB cozies up to Daddy McNair enough to put enough doubt in his head about RS that his leaving under any circumstances was inevitable.

OB then asks and is given Gaines as his new GM.

OB and Easterby push Director of Football Adminstration out and replace him with Kevin Krajcovic. Maybe OB wants to eliminate anyone who could offer pushback on his plan and put someone in who would bend to his wishes.

OB dumps Gaines and becomes GM.

Easterby is the team's.....whatever....spiritual leader. Maybe Easterby is hearing the grumbling amongst the players and decides that there are cracks in the foundation forming.

Easterby see's his opportunity and uses that to his advantage in getting OB ousted and himself secured in gaining more authority within the organization.

Man.....I feel like I've been following a 7 season "NFL Survivor" series and the McNair's are the one's getting played by the contestants. McNair's must find someone that can educate them on how to become NFL Franchise Owners. Easterby shouldn't be anywhere near the crucial decisions facing the Texans going forward.
Agreed

Except Gaine was let go for HR reasons from what I heard.

welsh texan

:thinking:

Because we’ve got an army of them on Kirby?
It would seem we have too many of them from the known moves.

Rick Smith gaining executive position and godfather status despite a sketchy record as GM.

O’Brien shows no signs of building a contender and looks awful against genuine contenders when it matters.

Pastor Jack in charge of the entire football operation.

You don’t need an army of them if you have one at any given moment as THE key person heading up the organisation.

Under Bob McNair you had a flat structure with any disagreement going to the top. Since Bob’s passing we have the same flat structure topped by the most power hungry political manouverer regardless of vocational aptitude.

Pastor Jack still having that position of power into the next era is a very worrying sign. Not a sign that working knowledge of running a successful team is going to be put on a pedastal any time soon.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because he was in lock-step/aligned with OB on ever move he made, just without his personality
Doing what your boss wants doesn't mean you agree with him.

In fact I've heard that Easterby went to Cal to let him know that the players were having issues with BOB. Like it or not it appears that Easterby has Cal's ear.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
O'Brien had his own problems, but he has been made a scape goat. I can tell you that in each and every major trade/contract negotiation/transaction, McNair, O'Brien and Easterby were always in agreement before consumated. The McNairs have always been attracted, impressed and "manipulated" by "men of faith." Although he was the furthest thing from religious and a man of faith, Rick Smith presented this facade to Bob McNair. Until near the end, the facade was was not fully exposed. Rick Smith was to Bob McNair as Easterby, who is a true religious zealot, is to Cal McNair. Such liaisons in non-religious settings can and have been proven to be filled with peril

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
I listened to the Cal interview on 610 yesterday. Sadly for Texans fans Cal is a bigger problem than O'Brien and Easterby. Cal basically said they would go back to doing what they have always done in finding a new GM and HC. Said he already has been in discussion with the search firm. Unfortunately no self respecting high profile winning GM or HC is going to be a part of the dumpster fire on Kirby Dr. The cupboard is bare, salary cap is a mess, another fine McNair recipe for average and ordinary. Cal's knowledge and expertise is far below that of Dad. Expect another HC with no HC experience. At this point the best hope for Texans fans is pure luck and possibly catching lightning in a bottle.
What makes you think this?

BTW, I'm for a full housecleaning.
Since Easterby arrived he has been in lock step, if not the originator, of all bad decisions that have inflicted the Texans. He is just as guilty as Bill O'Brien for all of the Texans SNAFUs.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm not a fan of Easterby, but all this talk about, "He's not qualified!!" crap from people who aren't qualified, erks me.
How is he qualified? He didn’t come up as a scout. He’s never handled an NFL cap. He doesn’t have anything football field or team building related on his resume. And all of a sudden he’s the head of football operations?

I guess if he can evaluate like any of us behind our computer screens, then that’s good enough.

badboy

Hall of Fame
O'Brien had his own problems, but he has been made a scape goat. I can tell you that in each and every major trade/contract negotiation/transaction, McNair, O'Brien and Easterby were always in agreement before consumated. The McNairs have always been attracted, impressed and "manipulated" by "men of faith." Although he was the furthest thing from religious and a man of faith, Rick Smith presented this facade to Bob McNair. Until near the end, the facade was was not fully exposed. Rick Smith was to Bob McNair as Easterby, who is a true religious zealot, is to Cal McNair. Such liaisons in non-religious settings can and have been proven to be filled with peril
Wow! Then I have a shot at being in the loop of McNair confidants.