Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Welcome to Houston Jack Easterby

gafftop

All Pro
Interesting reading. Two of a kind butthead and Easterbutt. Vultures that swoop in when there is a crisis. ******* smooth talking politician types. BH swooped in on Penn State fiasco, EB swooped in on Hernandez debacle. Sounds like EB is the smarter vulture but really doesn't mean anything when your competition is butthead. We are still screwed. Just my opinion as always

Double Barrel

Moderator / Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How is he qualified? He didn’t come up as a scout. He’s never handled an NFL cap. He doesn’t have anything football field or team building related on his resume. And all of a sudden he’s the head of football operations?

I guess if he can evaluate like any of us behind our computer screens, then that’s good enough.
Being employed by the NE Patriots seems to be the only qualification some folks need. Low standards mixed with gullible naivety. Yeah, I'm talking about Cal. . .

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Interesting reading. Two of a kind butthead and Easterbutt. Vultures that swoop in when there is a crisis. ******* smooth talking politician types. BH swooped in on Penn State fiasco, EB swooped in on Hernandez debacle. Sounds like EB is the smarter vulture but really doesn't mean anything when your competition is butthead. We are still screwed. Just my opinion as always
Chaos is a ladder...

Double Barrel

Moderator / Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do the Texans know Jack? Faith in Easterby could be risky proposition

They all say the same thing about Jack Easterby.

He is likeable, energetic, influential and a great person to be around. To add a favorite Texas colloquialism to Easterby’s persona: He’s good people.

But some who know Easterby best – from his stops in South Carolina, to Kansas City, New England and NRG Park – always seem to add a proviso to the unquestioned respect the interim Texans general manager commands.

He likes power. The more, the better.

And if he doesn’t have power, he tends to cozy up to power, earning the trust of those who can help him rise to places most would consider unthinkable.

Full Article
And then this little nugget at the end of the article:

Only Monday, NFL insider Albert Breer said of Easterby, “If you talk to people who worked with him in New England … they were all sorts of suspicious of him. A lot of personnel people in the league wouldn’t trust him at this point.”

:hmmm:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Only Monday, NFL insider Albert Breer said of Easterby, “If you talk to people who worked with him in New England … they were all sorts of suspicious of him. A lot of personnel people in the league wouldn’t trust him at this point.”

Everything I have been told confirms that Easterby was the mastermind behind all the WTF contracts and trades that everyone heavily assigned to O'Brien. When Easterby came in, for whatever reason, he was asked by Cal to evaluate the Texans at every level. One of his first big moves was to fire one of the NFL's most respected salary cap mavens...........Chris Olsen..........Olsen who was the Texans' primary contract negotiator and responsible for some of the largest deals in franchise history. What was the basis for him even being qualified to do so??................he participated in a salary cap "internship" with the Jaguars. He left the Jaguars organization saying the job in salary cap administration just wasn’t for him. His takeover of overseeing/negotiating the Texans salary cap makes as much sense as me handing the knife over to my intern to complete one of my open heart surgeries.

Cal managed to leave out one of the most critical steps of organizing a successful NFL franchise..................Who evaluates the evaluator???? Or maybe he didn't...........Lord help us, it must be Cal!!

Last edited:

CWTexansFan

King Deplorable
Contributor's Club
Everything I have been told confirms that Easterby was the mastermind behind all the WTF contracts and trades that everyone heavily assigned to O'Brien. When Easterby came in, for whatever reason, he was asked by Cal to evaluate the Texans at every level. One of his first big moves was to fire one of the NFL's most respected salary cap mavens...........Chris Olsen..........Olsen who was the Texans' primary contract negotiator and responsible for some of the largest deals in franchise history. What was the basis for him even being qualified to do so??................he participated in a salary cap "internship" with the Jaguars. He left the Jaguars organization saying the job in salary cap administration just wasn’t for him. His takeover of overseeing/negotiating the Texans salary cap makes as much sense as me handing the knife over to my intern to complete one of my open heart surgeries.

Cal managed to leave out one of the most critical steps of organizing a successful NFL franchise..................Who evaluates the evaluator???? Or maybe he didn't...........Lord help us, it must be Cal!!
Meanwhile on Kirby drive.....

ya-smell-that-willy-theres-a-shitstorm-brewing-you-dont-have-an-umbrella.jpg

Speedy

Yeller Dweller

Heard LZ this morning talking about 2 potential GM candidates (was in & out so I didn't hear who they were) and talking to them about their thoughts on the Houston opening. LZ said he didn't even bring up Easterby's name and both brought up their concerns with Easterby to him.

We may not know much about him but it appears he's known around the league. And if that's going to factor into a good GM deciding whether to come here or not, then this franchise might be doomed for another decade or so.

Earl34

Veteran
Heard LZ this morning talking about 2 potential GM candidates (was in & out so I didn't hear who they were) and talking to them about their thoughts on the Houston opening. LZ said he didn't even bring up Easterby's name and both brought up their concerns with Easterby to him.

We may not know much about him but it appears he's known around the league. And if that's going to factor into a good GM deciding whether to come here or not, then this franchise might be doomed for another decade or so.
I really don't understand how Cal has obtain control of a $3B asset and is so willing to step aside and give full control to unqualified and inexperienced people like O'Brien and Easterby. SMDH.

mws

Waterboy

Here is a link to The Bench with John Granato and Lance Zierlein to listen online.

Double Barrel

Moderator / Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I really don't understand how Cal has obtain control of a $3B asset and is so willing to step aside and give full control to unqualified and inexperienced people like O'Brien and Easterby. SMDH.
My gut feeling is that it's not necessarily about winning with Cal, but rather being successful. Success is a by-product of winning, of course, but NFL franchises make lots of money regardless of the win/loss column. It's not a bad gig if you've got billions to spare for the initial investment.

The McNairs have always held character and culture in the highest regard, for better or for worse. They only want to win if they can do it their way. Easterby is a direct reflection of that mentality. His professional resume is clearly underwhelming, but he tickles Cal where it matters the most, and that's that wholesome culture perception. And it's why Nuk is no longer with the team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
My gut feeling is that it's not necessarily about winning with Cal, but rather being successful. Success is a by-product of winning, of course, but NFL franchises make lots of money regardless of the win/loss column. It's not a bad gig if you've got billions to spare for the initial investment.

The McNairs have always held character and culture in the highest regard, for better or for worse. They only want to win if they can do it their way. Easterby is a direct reflection of that mentality. His professional resume is clearly underwhelming, but he tickles Cal where it matters the most, and that's that wholesome culture perception. And it's why Nuk is no longer with the team.
As many have agreed, Easterby is a Cal problem. Cal is a silver spooner and probably has never really done a hard days work in his life. Why he is so reliant on others to lead him around. Since Cal doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground, there will be many years of embarrassment for Texans fans and city of Houston. Hopefully this is what will lead Janice to decide to sell the Texans. Knowing it was Bob's baby and he is no longer around to keep it respectable, it is time to sell. That way all of her children can enjoy their full inheritance which they cannot enjoy as long as the McNairs own the Texans. And yes the team makes money regardless but nearly as much as the kids would make with the Billion $ as their part of the sale.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

They're going to be doomed for atleast another 4 yrs whether Easterby is here or not.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As many have agreed, Easterby is a Cal problem. Cal is a silver spooner and probably has never really done a hard days work in his life. Why he is so reliant on others to lead him around. Since Cal doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground, there will be many years of embarrassment for Texans fans and city of Houston. Hopefully this is what will lead Janice to decide to sell the Texans. Knowing it was Bob's baby and he is no longer around to keep it respectable, it is time to sell. That way all of her children can enjoy their full inheritance which they cannot enjoy as long as the McNairs own the Texans. And yes the team makes money regardless but nearly as much as the kids would make with the Billion $ as their part of the sale.
Unfortunately death is the only thing that may save the Texans.