Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Wonder what this MB's attitude would've been had BOB made the same decision Culley made? I'm sure that would've made for some great entertainment.

We've all been there and had to make tough decisions like the one you had to make.
To be fair. I don’t think BOB would have suspended Reid. He would have erupted and told him, “you suck too MF” or traded him to Patriots for a late round pick and the rights to Rodney Harrison.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You read that wrong or missed my point. Everyone knows the offense has underachieved and is the worst unit on the team. So, if Culley was criticizing the offense harshly, why would Reid get upset? Wouldn’t they deserve it?

Maybe Reid felt he should be trying to fix that horrible offense instead of nitpicking the defense after they basically won that game for him.
There’s no reason to believe Culley hasn’t been criticizing the offense harshly.

There’s nothing to support that.

For all we know Reid’s not comfortable with having a HC & a DC. O’Brien didn’t get involved with the defense ever.

Culley is being a HC & not a OC.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Which young players have Culley & crew screwed up developing? Howard, Scarping, Heck, Morrisey, Collins, Brevan, Mills, Greenard, Blacklock, Lopez?
I didn't write he screwed up any of the players development. Did I? I wrote the Texans can, and should do better (than a journeyman position coach). Disagree with that but don't but words in my mouth.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
There’s no reason to believe Culley hasn’t been criticizing the offense harshly.

There’s nothing to support that.

For all we know Reid’s not comfortable with having a HC & a DC. O’Brien didn’t get involved with the defense ever.

Culley is being a HC & not a OC.
I didn't post that Culley hasn't been criticizing the offense. I was playing devil's advocate and looking at this from a defensive player's viewpoint of watching this offense sputter and be one of the worst NFL units and then after a 5 turnover game and the primary reason you won a game, you are getting criticized?

From that viewpoint. Is anyone surprised that a defensive player would bristle at what he considered unfair criticism? BTW. When BOB was the HC, during his press conferences, he would frequently "critique" the performance of the defense and he didn't provide the same level of criticism for his offense. That's how losing teams eventually fall apart. Defense against offense. One unit becoming resentful of the other.

Finally, wasn't there a practice argument between Watt and BOB over criticizing the defense or defensive coaching? Wasn't BOB doing the exact same thing as Culley and Watt reacted the same way Reid did?

Last edited:
Too many unknown parameters to get a pulse on how it went down regarding Reid's suspension. Perhaps a quarter or half may have sufficed but the HC must maintain authority. IMO, Reid should also know that if the defense was called out, pointing fingers elsewhere is weak.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't post that Culley hasn't been criticizing the offense. I was playing devil's advocate and looking at this from a defensive player's viewpoint of watching this offense sputter and be one of the worst NFL units and then after a 5 turnover game and the primary reason you won a game, you are getting criticized?

From that viewpoint. Is anyone surprised that a defensive player would bristle at what he considered unfair criticism? BTW. When BOB was the HC, during his press conferences, he would frequently "critique" the performance of the defense and he didn't provide the same level for his offense. That's how losing teams eventually fall apart. Defense against offense. One unit becoming resentful of the other.

Finally, wasn't there a practice argument between Watt and BOB over criticizing the defense or defensive coaching? Wasn't BOB doing the exact same thing as Culley and Watt reacted the same way Reid did?
Losing teams lose and that's what really tears them apart.

Great comparison between the Culley/Reid and BOB/Watt situations.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
O, D and ST all have warts and need to have film show, this is what we are trying to do, good job, and this is an error, and here is what should be done. Reid knows that, so there is room for critique on all squads. We just dont know where the balance is going in team/film sessions. Personally, the offense has bigger issues, but in a team setting, you break down good and bad of both, then break up and let the O and D coaches work stuff. I suspect 2-8 was brewing inside Justin, and just sick of this crap. He feels like a man that will take a nice pay raise anywhere else, and that is too bad as he seems like a good young player

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Losing teams lose and that's what really tears them apart.

Great comparison between the Culley/Reid and BOB/Watt situations.
Disagree.
A modern NFL HC needs to be able to manage these young millionaires or soon-to-be millionaire's egos.
It's called the art of coaching.
No two players are alike just like no two regular persons are alike.
As a leader of men, the HC needs to keep a cool head and find a way to maintain team's unity.

If a HC is really good (tactful), he should be able to help diffuse the situation before it escalate.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's true.

Also might have been a case of, "You've been here 6 years & now want to coach defense?"

It's been my understanding for the most part both Kubiak & O'Brien were hands off concerning the defense.

Still, it sounds as if you're interjecting a "Culley doesn't criticize the offense" paradigm in here. & I don't know that is true. From my understanding there's an offensive meeting & a defensive meeting, I don't think there is one meeting where they are watching film & critiquing offense & defense together. I could be wrong.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Disagree.
A modern NFL HC needs to be able to manage these young millionaires or soon-to-be millionaire's egos.
It's called the art of coaching.
No two players are alike just like no two regular persons are alike.
As a leader of men, the HC needs to keep a cool head and find a way to maintain team's unity.

If a HC is really good (tactful), he should be able to help diffuse the situation before it escalate.
What does that have to do with my reply to Earl?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I suspect 2-8 was brewing inside Justin, and just sick of this crap.
The same could be said of David Culley. It's been a while since he has coached a really bad team. He could be feeling the pressure that comes with that. After a 4-12 season by the Eagles in 2012, Andy Reid and his staff (including Culley) were canned. That was the last really bad team Culley coached.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Bad franchise run by a bad owner with a bad head coach with a roster full of bad players.

What could possibly be the problem here? :thinking:

The circus has rolled into town and set up it's three ring tent as a permanent residence right there on Kirby Drive.
We're just watching the clowns now. :clown:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If there were young players playing at an outstanding level, we could assume that the staff was doing a bangup job of player development. That hasn't happened. The answer is, no one knows if these players are being developed. The question you are asking is premature.
So let's go back to the post that started this conversation

, it’s fair to wonder if a journeyman positional coach is the right guy for long-haul player development.
I bolded the point that I feel should be the catalyst in firing Culley after only one year. If the Texans are going with a major youth movement - and I think they should - I believe they need better people in coaching roles than what they have now. That starts with Culley.
Basically I'm saying the same thing as you. It's a bit premature to say...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Bad franchise run by a bad owner with a bad head coach with a roster full of bad players.

The circus has rolled into town and set up it's three ring tent as a permanent residence right there on Kirby Drive.
How would it look right now if we had a new owner, with good coaches, & a roster full of bad players from the beginning of the league year?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So has the reason for the discipline come to light - getting into a heated exchange with a teammate during a team meeting. If this is the case, then it could be argued the discipline was justified. We still don't have all the details, such as, why wasn't Conley also disciplined?
It wasn't arguing with a teammate, it was arguing with the HC in front of others

Texazan

Our HOF 34

My exact thoughts. I'm so friggin' over this sh*t show. I guess I haven't checked out all together because I keep coming back here to see what new train wreck has taken place. What an embarrasment for a NFL franchise. Ownership has no shame.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You said losing teams lose and it's the losing that tear the team apart.

I say it's the HC's job to keep the team together by mending the fences.
I'm telling you what happens

Winning teams don't have these issues.

I don't want to go through some circle jerk hour long debate with you on this.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Not all losing teams have this issue.

I'll give you an example that I know you don't care for, but it does exist.

The 2013 team did not have this issue.
They were still playing hard for Kubiak.
Even to this day, all you hear from the players is that Kubiak is a player's coach.
Many of them even said that they'd run through a brick wall for him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My exact thoughts. I'm so friggin' over this sh*t show. I guess I haven't checked out all together because I keep coming back here to see what new train wreck has taken place. What an embarrasment for a NFL franchise. Ownership has no shame.
Gotta go through the rebuild yrs. There's no getting around that once Derrick pulled his crap. Truth be told a rebuild was needed whether Derrick was here or not. Posters are complaining but there's a chance this team wins as many games without Derrick as they did last year with Derrick. So yes a painful rebuild was needed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not all losing teams have this issue.

I'll give you an example that I know you don't care for, but it does exist.

The 2013 team did not have this issue.
They were still playing hard for Kubiak.
Even to this day, all you hear from the players is that Kubiak is a player's coach.
Many of them even said that they'd run through a brick wall for him.
Was that the yr Kubiak was fired? If so that team quit on him. If not this is the exception to the rule. Not that you would understand this or admit what I'm telling you is what normally happens.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Was that the yr Kubiak was fired? If so that team quit on him. If not this is the exception to the rule. Not that you would understand this or admit what I'm telling you is what normally happens.
This has been dispelled already.
A team that quits don't play it down to wire in games.

You're so biased you'd typically just say whatever you want to say

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Once again you shockingly missed the point.
Miss what point?
He asked a question.
I said I need clarification because it doesn't matter if there's a new owner, if he can't hire a good GM, the question cannot be answered.

Maybe you're the one that missed the point. :)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Miss what point?
He asked a question.
I said I need clarification because it doesn't matter if there's a new owner, if he can't hire a good GM, the question cannot be answered.

Maybe you're the one that missed the point. :)
Wrong again.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's difficult to answer without adding a good GM into the equation.
Had he mentioned bad GM I would have added good GM.

but let’s go ahead & add good GM. You win 7 more games? How would it “look” different from our pov?

my point is it’s too early to tell either way. The team was crap last year with a top 5 QB…. Still crap.

add coaches, GMs, owners, even the best of the best, it wouldn’t look much different than what we’ve seen.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wonder what this MB's attitude would've been had BOB made the same decision Culley made? I'm sure that would've made for some great entertainment.

We've all been there and had to make tough decisions like the one you had to make.
The MB went off when he did it players too. He made the most stupidest hasty decisions in NFL history by trading away their best for player for literally nothing. ( David Johnson)

Come on Steel where you been?

Texansballer74

The Marine
O, D and ST all have warts and need to have film show, this is what we are trying to do, good job, and this is an error, and here is what should be done. Reid knows that, so there is room for critique on all squads. We just dont know where the balance is going in team/film sessions. Personally, the offense has bigger issues, but in a team setting, you break down good and bad of both, then break up and let the O and D coaches work stuff. I suspect 2-8 was brewing inside Justin, and just sick of this crap. He feels like a man that will take a nice pay raise anywhere else, and that is too bad as he seems like a good young player
Well so far 4 defensive players has been suspended and to 0 offensive players.

What some people are not seeing is after Ingram was traded Cooks blasted his frustration and disagreement all over social media. And guess what he wasn't suspended. Therefore the offense gets a pass while defensive players are being suspended for anything doomed to be against team policies.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Had he mentioned bad GM I would have added good GM.

but let’s go ahead & add good GM. You win 7 more games? How would it “look” different from our pov?

my point is it’s too early to tell either way. The team was crap last year with a top 5 QB…. Still crap.

add coaches, GMs, owners, even the best of the best, it wouldn’t look much different than what we’ve seen.
Would a good GM be able to find a good HC?

Texansballer74

The Marine

Winning teams have these issues too. You just don't here about them as much when you're winning. Remember back in the day when a lot of the Cowboys players were getting in all types of trouble. But they were winning Super bowls so people didn't talk about it as much. Do you remember LT was cracked out all the times. But since he was dynamic at sacking the quarterback, his drug addiction basically went unnoticed.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Wrong again

I actually like Kubiak and thought he was a good coach. Just not a great coach. He was a great QB coach and knew how to put an offense together. He was just way to conservative.
HC
Just the fact that you made the misplaced accusation that the players quit on Kubiak shows your bias.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Even if he did it would look practically the same as it does.
No way.
If you had a good HC and a good GM, they would have been able to win the fans right off the bat.
The stadium would not be half empty.
The media and Vegas wouldn't have regarded the team as the lowest of the dogs.
The GM could find a couple of gems in the low rounds like

He would be able to find a couple of FAs that were better options than Cannon and Britt.

With a good HC and a good scheme, the running game would have been better.
That would help the offense.

Not to mention he wouldn't draft a project QB in the third round, and maybe take a lineman like Jalen Mayfield (Falcons starter after making the switch from OT to LG).

Maybe he'd able to find a better guy on the D-line that can provide a better presence in the middle to help minimizing the hemorrhage up the middle (like that previous 5th rounder of ours or somebody in free agency.)
Remember, a good GM can affect the players's agent and a good HC can influence a free agent directly.

Maybe a better D-line coach that can teach the guys to contain the edge better, because right now, teams can just run all over the Texans in any direction.

I'm sure the team would look better.
And they say winning boost morale and confidence.
A good GM with a vision and a good HC with a clear sense of direction would get the best out of the players.

Yes, Sir.
The team would look very different, IMHO.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Gotta go through the rebuild yrs. There's no getting around that once Derrick pulled his crap. Truth be told a rebuild was needed whether Derrick was here or not. Posters are complaining but there's a chance this team wins as many games without Derrick as they did last year with Derrick. So yes a painful rebuild was needed.
Oh yea absolutely and we saw it coming but having a bumbling owner, stumbling coach, a yet proven commodity at GM (yes I'm giving him a chance) a motivational pastor as your VP of FOs, throw in the continued disfunction day after day and it just reeks of a longer and more painful "regular" NFL rebuild. FFS I hope I'm wrong. I mean at least we have the best mascot......

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No way.
If you had a good HC and a good GM, they would have been able to win the fans right off the bat.
The stadium would not be half empty.
The media and Vegas wouldn't have regarded the team as the lowest of the dogs.
The GM could find a couple of gems in the low rounds like

He would be able to find a couple of FAs that were better options than Cannon and Britt.

With a good HC and a good scheme, the running game would have been better.
That would help the offense.

Not to mention he wouldn't draft a project QB in the third round, and maybe take a lineman like Jalen Mayfield (Falcons starter after making the switch from OT to LG).

Maybe he'd able to find a better guy on the D-line that can provide a better presence in the middle to help minimizing the hemorrhage up the middle (like that previous 5th rounder of ours or somebody in free agency.)
Remember, a good GM can affect the players's agent and a good HC can influence a free agent directly.

Maybe a better D-line coach that can teach the guys to contain the edge better, because right now, teams can just run all over the Texans in any direction.

I'm sure the team would look better.
And they say winning boost morale and confidence.
A good GM with a vision and a good HC with a clear sense of direction would get the best out of the players.

Yes, Sir.
The team would look very different, IMHO.
A couple of teams have new coaches & GMs. Which one fits this bill?