Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Did those other guys hire their staff? Honest question, I don’t really know and am on my phone right now but that’s how it’s traditionally done- HC picks his staff.
More or less. Traditionally the HC hires his staff. But other coaches have been added to staffs already in place. Mike Tomlin did not hire his staff when he took over in Pittsburgh.

AFAIK, Tim Kelly was the only one carried over.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mike Tomlin did not hire his staff when he took over in Pittsburgh.
That is incorrect. They kept Dick LeBeau as DC, but Tomlin did assemble much of his own staff:
Tomlin's hiring likely will bring a shakeup in the Steelers' coaching staff less than a year after they won the Super Bowl. Grimm almost certainly won't return after being passed over.

But Tomlin isn't ready to reveal any staff changes, saying he will begin to work on his staff when he travels to Mobile, Ala., on Tuesday to scout Senior Bowl players.

Source

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I know Frank Ross is a former Patriots guy. Not sure his connection with Culley prior to both being on this coaching staff.
The only assistants that had coached with Culley previously are the TE coach, Andy Bischoff (Ravens), and CB coach Dino Vasso (Chiefs).

That is incorrect. They kept Dick LeBeau as DC, but Tomlin did assemble much of his own staff:
I don't know if that's completely accurate. I'd guess it's closer to 50/50. Whisenhunt left for AZ as HC before the Steelers decided on Tomlin. Bruce Arians became the new OC and was already on the staff. Keith Butler and Ray Horton also stayed on. Russ Grimm didn't stay because he probably felt slighted since he didn't get the job (Steelers talked numbers with both him and Tomlin)

banned1976

sleeper mode
Where’s your message about banned1976 post? Or do you believe his statement about Culley more factual than mine about Tomlin?
Which statement of mine about Culley are you referring to? The one within the Junior Soprano post? If that's the one, I didn't feel it necessary to write "IMO" or "I feel like" Culley isn't running much of anything but, I don't feel like he's running much of anything. And the things that are within his scope of responsibility and control... like managing the clock, knowing when to take a penalty, knowing when to be aggressive and when to be conservative within a game, I don't think he's been very good at all in those areas. He is the weakest link in a coaching staff that has been inconsistent so far this year...In.My.Opinion.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
They just need the horses. They are undermanned and injured. The concept is solid and one I agree 100% with. I’m glad he’s not abandoning that philosophy. It cant work unless you stay with it and fix it.
So keep burying yourself behind the chains because you don’t have the horses and it will eventually get fixed, even though you still don’t have the horses?

Got it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cullen is a symptom of a much larger disease. Easter Bunny is another symptom. That disease starts and ends with the McNairs who are by far the worst owners in team sports.
Been saying this since 2010.

I was ridiculed for this stance.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Been saying this since 2010.

I was ridiculed for this stance.
True, I was right there with you pointing out that the McNair Honeymoon was OVER and that Bob McNair was just another owner like Rankin Smith, John Mecom Jr and William Clay Ford. What caused you to lose your way? Nothing has changed. McNairs are still doing what McNairs do, only now it's worse with Game Boy in charge.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True, I was right there with you pointing out that the McNair Honeymoon was OVER and that Bob McNair was just another owner like Rankin Smith, John Mecom Jr and William Clay Ford. What caused you to lose your way? Nothing has changed. McNairs are still doing what McNairs do, only now it's worse with Game Boy in charge.
Nothing has changed

I'm a fan an I hope I'm wrong.

Blind squirrel theory.

TexansFight

Veteran
Caserio's first major decision was to hire David Culley.
Completely agree. Culley is the worst NFL coach I have ever seen in my 30+ years watching the NFL. He is dumb, there is no sugar coating that he is a moron and doesn’t have the brain power to be a head coach. He has made unprecedentedly stupid game management decisions. He comes off as a blabbering fool when speaking to the media. He offers zero insight into what is going in this team.

Anyone with a brain who follows the NFL knew this was a disaster of a hire. I have zero faith in Nick Caserio and his ability to rebuild this pathetic embarrassment of a team because he hired this guy. A coach who NEVER was promoted to be a coordinator in the NFL. A guy in his 60s! Every other team in the league assessed his skill level to be a position coach at best. We are the ONLY team who would even consider him a candidate but were dumb enough to hire him.

The real reason he was hired is because of Caserio’s inflated ego. He wanted a coach who he can completely control like a puppet. No coach worth a damn would allow the GM to pick a staff for him and allow a shitty ass OC from the previous regime to stick around. Caserio’s judgment and decision making is piss poor and he, Cal and jacksss Easterby deserve to be laughed at, hated and cursed at every opportunity. Dumb team with a dumb coach, owner and GM. **** the Texans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Completely agree. Culley is the worst NFL coach I have ever seen in my 30+ years watching the NFL. He is dumb, there is no sugar coating that he is a moron and doesn’t have the brain power to be a head coach. He has made unprecedentedly stupid game management decisions. He comes off as a blabbering fool when speaking to the media. He offers zero insight into what is going in this team.
Guess I’m jaded. I was in the anybody but O’Brien camp & im still happy with that decision.

TexansFight

Veteran
Guess I’m jaded. I was in the anybody but O’Brien camp & im still happy with that decision.
I hate BOB with the intensity of 100 suns. We had the worst GM in NFL history. As a coach he sucked too but wasn’t as awful as Culley. I need to rinse my mouth now.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Anyone with a brain who follows the NFL knew this was a disaster of a hire. I have zero faith in Nick Caserio and his ability to rebuild this pathetic embarrassment of a team because he hired this guy. A coach who NEVER was promoted to be a coordinator in the NFL. A guy in his 60s! Every other team in the league assessed his skill level to be a position coach at best. We are the ONLY team who would even consider him a candidate but were dumb enough to hire him.

The real reason he was hired is because of Caserio’s inflated ego. He wanted a coach who he can completely control like a puppet. No coach worth a damn would allow the GM to pick a staff for him and allow a shitty ass OC from the previous regime to stick around. Caserio’s judgment and decision making is piss poor and he, Cal and jacksss Easterby deserve to be laughed at, hated and cursed at every opportunity. Dumb team with a dumb coach, owner and GM. **** the Texans.
Easy now. Everybody knows Culley wasn't brought here to be the next Vince Lombardi. He's just a stop gap to get through this dumpster fire until they can turn it around, if that's possible. He's Bo Porter. End of story.

As far as Caserio is concerned, I said from the get-go that this year would be a mulligan for him. That said, there's nothing he's done to this point that fills me with much confidence once this mulligan period is over.

OB was NOT the worst HC. Worst GM ever, yes, but he was an average HC. He just happened to be an arrogant asshole, who thought he was the smartest man in the room, that nobody liked.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
It wouldn't have mattered who they hired as HC, there was nothing here to work with and not enough draft capital to salvage an already sunken ship. You want to blame someone, blame OB, not Culley. Or better yet, blame the numbskull who owns the team.

Culley is an innocent bystander. Maybe not a very bright one, but that's beside the point.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
It wouldn't have mattered who they hired as HC, there was nothing here to work with and not enough draft capital to salvage an already sunken ship. You want to blame someone, blame OB, not Culley. Or better yet, blame the numbskull who owns the team.

Culley is an innocent bystander. Maybe not a very bright one, but that's beside the point.
I agree, but it just seems like it would make more sense to have the HC of the future have input into the direction of the rebuild. If Culley is only here to preside over nothing until a better coach can be brought it, I don't like it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I guess you really dont know why Culley was hired.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Bill Peterson faints….

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This is what happens after you give your franchise QB 156 mil contract and it turns out that he's a sexual predator.

One of BOB's main failures was that he put all of his eggs in the Derrick basket.

Last edited:

TexansFight

Veteran
Hugh Campbell was hired for a reason, as was Culley.
What’s the reason to hire him other than Caserio wanting to meddle pull the strings? Don’t you think a true rebuild would benefit from a good coach. A real coach can help build a culture worth a damn by by instilling a system that can be built upon. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t to get the best coach possible to build a winning team. You can still evaluate a coach, even if the players suck, by evaluating game management and how disciplined the team as and if the team overachieves because of smart coaching. The Texans hired a coach who is doing none of that.

Number19

Hall of Fame
...No coach worth a damn would allow the GM to pick a staff for him...
This is not backed up by facts, with Tim Kelly being a possible exception. And we all know, or at least suspect, why Kelly was retained.

David Culley's hiring was announced Jan 27. It was also announced on Jan 27 that Tim Kelly was being retained as OC.

Robert Prince, receivers coach, was hired Feb 2. Tight end coach Andy Bischoff was hired Feb 3. And Miles Smith was hired as LB coach Feb 3.

Lovie Smith was hired as DC March 10.

Also hired on March 10 was QB coach Pep Hamilton, OL coach James Campen, CB coach Dino Vasso, and safety coach Greg Jackson.

It's possible to dislike the Culley hiring or his coaching abilities without lying or misstating the facts.

And I would guess that every GM in the league has input and a say in the hiring of coaches. And I would guess that the coaching staff assembled was a collaboration between Caserio and Culley. I'd like to see evidence to prove otherwise.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
What’s the reason to hire him other than Caserio wanting to meddle pull the strings? Don’t you think a true rebuild would benefit from a good coach. A real coach can help build a culture worth a damn by by instilling a system that can be built upon. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t to get the best coach possible to build a winning team. You can still evaluate a coach, even if the players suck, by evaluating game management and how disciplined the team as and if the team overachieves because of smart coaching. The Texans hired a coach who is doing none of that.
They haven't really started the rebuild yet. There's a handfull of players, at best, on this current roster that will be here in 3 years. That's why Culley is here. No sense bringing in someone legit when you don't even have any building blocks yet. The rebuild starts this off-season with a full draft. Culley will be long gone once some sort of foundation is set that they're ready to build on. Right now they're still clearing off the lot they want to build on. Culley is the foreman for that. Of course it doesn't help that he keeps digging up a sewer line with the backhoe, but still.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They haven't really started the rebuild yet. There's a handfull of players, at best, on this current roster that will be here in 3 years. That's why Culley is here. No sense bringing in someone legit when you don't even have any building blocks yet. The rebuild starts this off-season with a full draft. Culley will be long gone once some sort of foundation is set that they're ready to build on. Right now they're still clearing off the lot they want to build on. Culley is the foreman for that. Of course it doesn't help that he keeps digging up a sewer line with the backhoe, but still.
Loved for digging up the sewer line reference.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
See Speedy's post #944 for my reply.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Lovie Smith was hired as DC March 10.
Smith was hired on January 29th. Lovie was interviewing with Caserio on the day Culley was hired. He may not have signed his contract until March, due to negotiations with the University of Illinois over the payout of his remaining contract. Pretty sure the rest of your dates are off, as well. Campen was hired in February.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
So Culley should call blue stake before each game. Got it! Dial 811 David!

TexansFight

Veteran
You’d think Caserio coming in as the new head honcho on football ops would want to distance himself from the idiocy of BOB and Easterby by picking a good head coach that can start a rebuild. Culley is a joke. No one respects him. How can you have a rebuild when your GM with his first major decision picks a coach who has proven himself to be the worst in the NFL. We should all be confident with that decision that Caserio will turn this team around. There is no logic to hire the idiot we have other than wanting to dictate assistant coaches (they kept RAC!!) and meddle in the coaching out of ego.