Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
BTW, I will not be at all surprised if Nick Caserio is in the press box telling Tim Kelly what plays to call. He was an offensive assistant in New England, which doesn't in and of itself qualify him to call plays but considering almost everyone now in the organization (outside of the players) are now in positions they're not qualified to be in, I would actually be surprised if Caserio isn't in the press box calling Kelly during games.
Apparently you don't know his qualifications. But that's ok. Nick is not the guy pulling the trigger. Cal and Easterby are. Cal even said once he had a GM he would be hands off. Instead, he is doing the opposite and staying in the lime light. Honestly, I think he is likely enjoying the attention and feels he can get Watson to stay. Making him the hero of Houston.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Cully is a bridge to restructuring the Texans future, not the answer, but a new beginning. Don’t think Watson wants to waste any more of his prime, rebuilding.

But you don’t trade the franchise. First thing is to build trust and share plan and decisions in the future. Second, restructure contract to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL. Third, winning will take care of the rest.

that’s as simple as it can be and Cully could earn his salt by doing what needs to be done. It’s just been maddening to all here and more to come undoubtedly, but onward a Texan must go. As olive branch, this is my positive post from in several years:wesmantexanfan:

mussop

Hall of Fame
Adam Schefter said the Texans were looking for someone "who projected a CEO image"

sigh.
The only way I could see this working is if the guy had the right personality And he was in charge of bringing in the best available coordinators and position coaches. Sort of an overseer of all coaches allowing them to do their thing but holding them responsible for their units success. like old school HCs. When I was young it seemed like that’s how all HCs ran things. Their OC was in charge of the offense and the DC was in charge of the Defense.

Maybe that is the plan.

Shouldn’t the team that hires the minority get the bonus? Seems backwards to me.
I think you have a point, it's rewarding the teams that supposedly have developed minorities. Imagine if the top teams lose qualifying coaches and are rewarded by draft picks. For example if EB had been hired, the Chiefs would have received draft compensation. If you add in the possibility that they could lose Sammie Watkins, Le'veon Bell and Daniel Sorensen to free agency as well, they could have ended up with a slew of extra picks combining both scenarios.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
If they retain that mfer I’m going to lose my ****.
I just don't know what film the FO or coaching staff is watching but I'm betting ol' Mike "coach em' up" Devlin stays. If Kelly is staying which it appears he is then Devlin stays.

They're buds. Tim will put the good word in for Devlin and how much progress they've been making and it's who he's comfortable with. According to Kelly Coach Devlin is developing the OL...well of at least ONE lineman.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/31/texans-tim-kelly-credits-mike-devlin-charlie-hecks-development/

Maverick

Failure is not an option
I'm perusing this mornings Chronicle and there is an article by Brian T. Smith entitle "We need new energy". Everyone that has been asked, has said that Culley is the vitamin or the energy, in a meeting, practice, or game.

I wonder how the conversation is gonna go with Deshaun, if he even takes the calls. Granted, this whole mess falls in the lap of Cal who is probably asking "momma, what do I do with all this mess..Jack said to apologize, and I done already did...Momma, I'm asking you a question....momma....momma....."

Last edited:

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Culley seems like a nice guy. May end up being a good Coach. I was hoping for an” I’m all out of bubble gum” type.

Hmm...this doesn't look good.

Hahah poor Culley, Watson is good as gone and then some.

Please rebuild from ground up, yes with Culley, Casario and even Easterby!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Never like to judge anybody until they actually do their thing. Culley or Caserio......... lets see what they can do.

Although at this point I just want a rebuild. And see what these guys can build.
That's fine, but I think it's warranted to ask questions and have concerns when it comes to someone who's been in the business for 27 years without promotion. Of all the HC jobs in the last 5, 10, 15 years, he's never been a consideration. I don't think you have to be a coordinator to get a HC job, in fact, there's plenty of examples out there of it, but to be in NFL coaching for 27 years and never being a coordinator, that raises a flag for me. Just as never having had experience in player personnel and suddenly shooting up to VP of Football Operations raises flags.

That and the fact that the worst run organization in football is the one who decided to take a shot on that. Doesn't fill me with much confidence. If he turns out to be great, then great. But just because he hasn't coached his 1st game yet, doesn't take away the concerns I have now becaue of those issues mentioned.

As for Caserio, yeah, sure, we'll have to wait and see what a real GM can do, or if he's even allowed to be a real GM. Not sure what his real role in NE was with the control Belichick had, but I can certainly hold judgement on him until there's something to judge.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That's fine, but I think it's warranted to ask questions and have concerns when it comes to someone who's been in the business for 27 years without promotion. Of all the HC jobs in the last 5, 10, 15 years, he's never been a consideration. I don't think you have to be a coordinator to get a HC job, in fact, there's plenty of examples out there of it, but to be in NFL coaching for 27 years and never being a coordinator, that raises a flag for me. Just as never having had experience in player personnel and suddenly shooting up to VP of Football Operations raises flags.

That and the fact that the worst run organization in football is the one who decided to take a shot on that. Doesn't feel me with much confidence. If he turns out to be great, then great. But just because he hasn't coached his 1st game yet, doesn't take away the concerns I have now becaue of those issues mentioned.

As for Caserio, yeah, sure, we'll have to wait and see what a real GM can do, or if he's even allowed to be a real GM. Not sure what his real role in NE was with the control Belichick had, but I can certainly hold judgement on him until there's something to judge.
This is about as negative of an outlook as you can have. Not saying you’re not warranted in your outlook, but just based on how Caserio has conducted things so far with the staff hires and him not doing anything knee jerk, he’s already a step up from what we had the last year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's fine, but I think it's warranted to ask questions and have concerns when it comes to someone who's been in the business for 27 years without promotion. Of all the HC jobs in the last 5, 10, 15 years, he's never been a consideration. I don't think you have to be a coordinator to get a HC job, in fact, there's plenty of examples out there of it, but to be in NFL coaching for 27 years and never being a coordinator, that raises a flag for me.
How many black offensive coordinators have we seen in the last 27 years?

Now take out all the black offensive coordinators from the last three years.

So what’s happened to the good black offensive coaches in the last 27 years, not including the last three.

We don’t want to talk about race on this board & I understand why. & I don’t want to believe it. But if you, or anyone keeps pushing on this 27 year first time HC angle, this is where we end up.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

So what’s happened to the good black offensive coaches in the last 27 years, not including the last three.

We don’t want to talk about race on this board & I understand why. & I don’t want to believe it. But if you, or anyone keeps pushing on this 27 year first time HC angle, this is where we end up.
Exactly. The Rooney rule was put in for a reason and this guy’s coaching career extends well before a time when that rule was put into place. Dude was already behind the 8-ball to be honest. Rooney rule was put into place in 2003, he was already 48.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

So you're saying he hasn't moved up the chain in 27 years because he's black?

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I'm perusing this mornings Chronicle and there is an article by Brian T. Smith entitle "We need new energy". Everyone that has been asked, has said that Culley is the vitamin or the energy, in a meeting, practice, or game.

I wonder how the conversation is gonna go with Deshaun, if he even takes the calls. Granted, this whole mess falls in the lap of Cal who is probably asking "momma, what do I do with all this mess..Jack said to apologize, and I done already did...Momma, I'm asking you a question....momma....momma....."
Oh God he sounds like this guy.
3ef3b30112f7a42e14763e25dcdf4459.png

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Never like to judge anybody until they actually do their thing. Culley or Caserio......... lets see what they can do.

Although at this point I just want a rebuild. And see what these guys can build.
I’m the same way, we don’t have any idea how these 2 will perform yet.

Football sometimes is about luck. Could you imagine the meltdown around here if we’d have hired Belichick after his dismal Browns gig?

Or starting a 6th round QB? How good could he possibly be if that many passed over him?

And Cal has already won the sperm lottery, maybe he’ll get lucky again.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’m the same way, we don’t have any idea how these 2 will perform yet.

Football sometimes is about luck. Could you imagine the meltdown around here if we’d have hired Belichick after his dismal Browns gig?

Or starting a 6th round QB? How good could he possibly be if that many passed over him?

And Cal has already won the sperm lottery, maybe he’ll get lucky again.
This isn't that though. Now, I get that Bieniemy and Daboll, 2 of the hottest prospects out there didn't get hired by any of the 6 or 7 openings there were, but a guy who not only wasn't on anyone's radar, but has never been, gets a HC gig over them out of nowhere?? Come on, man.

Sure, you can bring up that ONE time a 6th round QB went on the be the GOAT, but that isn't the norm. Name another since then.

If you think for one second that Culley has much say so in anything that's going to go on here, then you're about as naive as it gets.

I get hoping what they've done works out, but reality is you, might be better off buying Powerball numbers.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
...but a guy who not only wasn't on anyone's radar, but has never been, gets a HC gig over them out of nowhere?? Come on, man.
Would have been nice if Caserio would address how Culley was even on his radar.

I heard something on the radio where Nick remembered him from a Scouting combine way back when. But between then & now... I don’t know.

But Culley was the name Caserio brought to the list. That’s not a McNair/Easterby thing. That’s all Caserio.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
This isn't that though. Now, I get that Bieniemy and Daboll, 2 of the hottest prospects out there didn't get hired by any of the 6 or 7 openings there were, but a guy who not only wasn't on anyone's radar, but has never been, gets a HC gig over them out of nowhere?? Come on, man.

Sure, you can bring up that ONE time a 6th round QB went on the be the GOAT, but that isn't the norm. Name another since then.

If you think for one second that Culley has much say so in anything that's going to go on here, then you're about as naive as it gets.

I get hoping what they've done works out, but reality is you, might be better off buying Powerball numbers.
I have zero influence one way or another.

I’m going to cheer both on until I’m sick of them screwing up, then I’ll cheer when they are fired.

Go Texans!

superford

Practice Squad
Hahah poor Culley, Watson is good as gone and then some.

Please rebuild from ground up, yes with Culley, Casario and even Easterby!
Meh... What else was he going to say... zero doubts he knew the Watson situation.. it was already being talked about on ESPN and throughout the NFL.

What is dumb is Watson won't even speak to the two new guys. I love Watson. Hope he somehow stays, but this part is simply being a bit immature.. or just terrible advice from his agent.. but then again.. agents don't care about much other than how much money they can earn from their clients down the road.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
People can say what they want about our new HC, but personally just from his interview I love the guys fire/character. Seems highly upbeat and motivated, I got a good feeling watching the presser with him!

Not to mention he seemed thrilled to be a Texan, that alone at this point is appealing!

superford

Practice Squad
People can say what they want about our new HC, but personally just from his interview I love the guys fire/character. Seems highly upbeat and motivated, I got a good feeling watching the presser with him!

Not to mention he seemed thrilled to be a Texan, that alone at this point is appealing!
Seems every player and coach he has worked with love him... as an executive type coach, I think he has a chance to be very good. I do wish he had hired a different DC than Smith.... but we sill see.. pulling for him, Watson or no Watson.... though if no Watson, I'm hoping for only a couple of wins next season to get a top three pick.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Meh... What else was he going to say... zero doubts he knew the Watson situation.. it was already being talked about on ESPN and throughout the NFL.

What is dumb is Watson won't even speak to the two new guys. I love Watson. Hope he somehow stays, but this part is simply being a bit immature.. or just terrible advice from his agent.. but then again.. agents don't care about much other than how much money they can earn from their clients down the road.
His agent isn't the only one prompting Watson to dig in...there are former and current NFL players telling him to play hardball. It sounds like some, maybe even many of those telling him that are current Texans players.

It sounds like, from some of the things I've read and heard, there's a lot of disgruntled players on this team and Watson is their megaphone. I doubt seriously he is the only guy that wants out of this organization if big changes don't occur at the top. Of course, it doesn't matter what they want.

superford

Practice Squad
His agent isn't the only one prompting Watson to dig in...there are former and current NFL players telling him to play hardball. It sounds like some, maybe even many of those telling him that are current Texans players.

It sounds like, from some of the things I've read and heard, there's a lot of disgruntled players on this team and Watson is their megaphone. I doubt seriously he is the only guy that wants out of this organization if big changes don't occur at the top. Of course, it doesn't matter what they want.
Yeah... there are only 32 of these places to get a job... Watson of course has more power than most players...

But for most of these guys, show up and keep your job. Give the new coach and GM a chance to see what they can do or what they get to do.

... and if I'm Texans management, I don't trade him before this draft unless there is an overwhelming offer... otherwise he gets to sit and miss checks, we get a top five pick on our own next season and then you look to move him. He isn't losing trade value for sitting out... .and it may force him to look at more team options for the trade.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For those who have issue with Culley being in the league for 27 years before being offered a HC job, never being offered an OC job... what do you think of Jim Caldwell. Did he deserve to be offered a HC job when Indy offered him the job?

He came into the league in 2001 & became The Ravens OC in 2013. That's only 12 years. Not at all like Culley's 27 years. But, would he have been Baltimore's OC if he wasn't their interim OC in 2012? It's not like he was interviewed & offered the interim OC job. They fired their OC & promoted Caldwell from QB coach.

The off thing, to me is that he was the HC at WF from 1993 to 2007.

Don't you think it's odd, that Jim Caldwell was a HC for 7 years, comes to the NFL & spends 12 years as a position coach before "lucking" into an OC job.

Consider Bill O'Brien was an OC for one year at the college level, but became an OC in 4 years in the NFL. & I don't think anyone would argue Caldwell had a much better offensive mind than Bill O'Brien.

Max

Veteran
How many exception to the rule comparisons do we have to try to find before we admit that maybe we could have found more qualified candidates?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Consider Bill O'Brien was an OC for one year at the college level, but became an OC in 4 years in the NFL. & I don't think anyone would argue Caldwell had a much better offensive mind than Bill O'Brien.
Yes, Jim Caldwell would have been a better hire. Then and now. Don't think you'll get a lot of argument from anyone here on that.