Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome Home, DeMeco Ryans

badboy

Hall of Fame
Interesting read about how Culley and Lovie became HCs of the Texans. As stated by CnD...it wasn't Nick Caserio. He probably didn't even get a vote. However, from what I know he indeed did get his HC in Meco

I believe that as soon as the McNairs were told Ryan would interview, he became their head coach.

badboy

Hall of Fame
They have given me hope, even though I have not yet sold my old home in the comfortable town of Pessimism to move to the town of Optimist, but depending on the next few months I may have to price rentals and look into a U-haul.
comcast will transfer your internet....

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
then how did he hit on so many draft picks already?
Hit on so many draft picks?? WTF??? Pitre, Pierce, maybe Harris, and certainly an incomplete on the rest at this point. And as some like to point out when someone talks about players not playing well, that it's too early to judge, the same can be said about the ones that do play well. Just look at Steve Slaton who had a much, MUCH better rookie season than Pierce did.

Caserio has made 14 draft picks with the Texans and those 3 are the only ones standing out so far. The 2021 draft is looking like a total wash. And even if you want to argue Collins, remember that 3 picks were given up to get him. Certainly not worth the production he's provided to this point.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Interesting read about how Culley and Lovie became HCs of the Texans. As stated by CnD...it wasn't Nick Caserio. He probably didn't even get a vote. However, from what I know he indeed did get his HC in Meco

Good article. Nailed it at the end, too:

If Caserio is this terrible general manager, as some in the national media would have you believe, then how did he hit on so many draft picks already? How did he clear out tens of millions of dollars in bad player contracts? How did he convince DeMeco Ryans, arguably the hottest head coaching candidate in this year’s coaching cycle, to not only sign with the Texans, but do so with an excitement and exuberance that has reignited an almost entirely disenfranchised fanbase?

They've already started, but as a fan, I feel like I can look forward to a true rebuild without the baggage of the former regime and the scandal of the pervy, selfish QB.
Excellent read and spot on DB!

:gotexans1

Porky

Hall of Fame
Hit on so many draft picks?? WTF??? Pitre, Pierce, maybe Harris, and certainly an incomplete on the rest at this point. And as some like to point out when someone talks about players not playing well, that it's too early to judge, the same can be said about the ones that do play well. Just look at Steve Slaton who had a much, MUCH better rookie season than Pierce did.

Caserio has made 14 draft picks with the Texans and those 3 are the only ones standing out so far. The 2021 draft is looking like a total wash. And even if you want to argue Collins, remember that 3 picks were given up to get him. Certainly not worth the production he's provided to this point.
I had the exact same reaction. You stated what I would have had to say…so I’ll just co-sign lol.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Who in the heck is Mike Bullock? & why are his rumors more legit than Caserio's job description?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I'm not hear to roast or defend Caserio. My jury is still out. Analyzing a GM takes longer than two historically dysfunctional years that were dominated by a sexually assaulting QB.

It cracks me up when y'all do crap like this, like he made all the decisions by his lonesome, and the McNair family, Jack Easterby, David Culley, and Lovie Smith had absolutely nothing to do with any of those decisions and had no influence on King Caserio.

I think some of y'all just like complain.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm not hear to roast or defend Caserio. My jury is still out. Analyzing a GM takes longer than two historically dysfunctional years that were dominated by a sexually assaulting QB.

It cracks me up when y'all do crap like this, like he made all the decisions by his lonesome, and the McNair family, Jack Easterby, David Culley, and Lovie Smith had absolutely nothing to do with any of those decisions and had no influence on King Caserio.

I agree that it takes time to give proper judgement. But to say he’s “hit” on so many draft picks is just as premature.

And regardless of the shitshow he took over for, he’s done some questionable maneuvering in the draft and with draft picks in general. So you maybe can’t give him a fair grade at this point but there is a trend to look at.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree that it takes time to give proper judgement. But to say he’s “hit” on so many draft picks is just as premature.

And regardless of the shitshow he took over for, he’s done some questionable maneuvering in the draft and with draft picks in general. So you maybe can’t give him a fair grade at this point but there is a trend to look at.
That's fair.

I agree about some questionable moves. Nobody bats 100. But at this point, I'm willing to be patient with him because there's been a learning curve coming from the rather sheltered existence with the Patriots. I guess it's an excuse, but honestly, I'm not sure who the McNairs could have hired in 2021 that would've been truly qualified and willing to take this job at that point in time.

And to go from a first class organization like NE to the toxic front office of a shitshow like the Texans had to be something that nobody could really be ready for.

In the end, I think he'll either compliment DeMeco as GM and their relationship is copacetic, or he'll be booted to find someone that DeMeco wants.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Sean Payton was able to do that in a 30 minute Zoom call.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sean Payton was able to do that in a 30 minute Zoom call.
Who gives a rat's ass about Sean Payton in this forum (besides you?). He took that job IN SPITE OF Russell Wilson (Payton's quoted words). He took that job for $$$. Wilson will be an albatross around his neck.

The Houston Texans have a dynamic new head coach that the overwhelming majority of Texans fans are excited about. Enjoy the journey.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
IMO Payton would have made me more comfortable going into next season, but thats about it and only because I expect a lot of growing pains for Ryans in his new role.

The long term, I am more comfortable with Ryans as Payton could re-retire at any point of the rebuild wasting efforts and even more time.

IF I were a Broncos fan I would be hoping it works out or they may be the new OB Texans level dumpster fire by the time its all over.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Who gives a rat's ass about Sean Payton in this forum (besides you?). He took that job IN SPITE OF Russell Wilson (Payton's quoted words). He took that job for $$$. Wilson will be an albatross around his neck.

The Houston Texans have a dynamic new head coach that the overwhelming majority of Texans fans are excited about. Enjoy the journey.
This really has absolutely nothing to do with Sean Payton and everything to do with the Houston Texans ownership and management. Any Zoom call will tell you that.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Lol man stop tripping. All the teams interviewing head coaching prospects did it through Zoom. Especially if those coaches were in the playoffs. You’re making a big deal out of nothing.
Actually, a few of them flew out to have interviews in person. Denver in particular

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If Caserio let these people push him around, then that's on him. He's paid $6 million a year to run football ops. You're either the bear or the guy eaten by the bear. Nick is no bear.
In the end, I think he'll either compliment DeMeco as GM and their relationship is copacetic, or he'll be booted to find someone that DeMeco wants.
Exactly. How well he serves Coach Ryans will determine Caserio's future here.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
And to go from a first class organization like NE to the toxic front office of a shitshow like the Texans had to be something that nobody could really be ready for.
The Texans only became a toxic, garbage franchise once they began trying to emulate New England.

Before that we were just fine. Classy, did things respectfully and properly, kept things in house, squashed all dramas, had high character players for the most part, etc.

As opposed to New England, who has been embroiled in various instances of scumbaggery for the last I don't even know how long.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
If you have the clout to do it and you are interested in a long term position AND earning as much money as possible, then taking a job where you absolve yourself of any responsibility for success for the first few years due to a QB contract is a pretty smart move.

TBF to Payton, the Saints were in a total mess when he took over, and he turned it around nicely.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans only became a toxic, garbage franchise once they began trying to emulate New England.

Before that we were just fine. Classy, did things respectfully and properly, kept things in house, squashed all dramas, had high character players for the most part, etc.

As opposed to New England, who has been embroiled in various instances of scumbaggery for the last I don't even know how long.
Winning championships along the way.

Texian

Hall of Fame

👏👏👏

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If Caserio let these people push him around, then that's on him. He's paid $6 million a year to run football ops. You're either the bear or the guy eaten by the bear. Nick is no bear.

Exactly. How well he serves Coach Ryans will determine Caserio's future here.
Caserio can make a decision but if he is getting out voted by owner, Easterby, and coach then he has no say.

If they do things in this boardroom type of decision making then he only has a seat at the table. That is the design. He is only a player. Maybe the only adult in the room or voice of reason.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Are we now trying to emulate San Francisco?

Demeco is going to & has brought people he knows & some of those people were 49ers.

That's no more trying to be SF than BO'b doing what he did.

BO'b just wasn't good at his job & Cal wasn't prepared for his.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio can make a decision but if he is getting out voted by owner, Easterby, and coach then he has no say.

If they do things in this boardroom type of decision making then he only has a seat at the table. That is the design. He is only a player. Maybe the only adult in the room or voice of reason.
I think some on here that have never wanted Caserio as GM and have been proven wrong, things like getting the maximum trading the Pervert and cleaning up the cap in 2 yrs so this team has a bright future are butt hurt and are going to continue to be butt hurt because Ryans will be telling Caserio the types of players Ryans wants on his team and Caserio is going to get those players in both FA/draft. These 2 guys are going to work good together and the good news is Caserio said a couple of months ago that they've already been working hard evaluating prospects.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think some on here that have never wanted Caserio as GM and have been proven wrong,
Caserio was my number one guy.

I'm disappointed with the way things have turned out. Most of all that he's not the guy who tells Cal what to think, like BO'b did, like Easterby did.

Cal's making his own decisions now. Worst possible case for the Texans & Texans fans. We're not winning a Super Bowl until this situation is resolved.

Regardless what other good things Caserio may (may not) be doing we need someone Cal trusts to let him handle the football decisions without meddling.

The sooner we move on the sooner we might get that guy next time. & if he's not the one, I'm ready to move on from him as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio was my number one guy.

I'm disappointed with the way things have turned out. Most of all that he's not the guy who tells Cal what to think, like BO'b did, like Easterby did.

Cal's making his own decisions now. Worst possible case for the Texans & Texans fans. We're not winning a Super Bowl until this situation is resolved.

Regardless what other good things Caserio may (may not) be doing we need someone Cal trusts to let him handle the football decisions without meddling.

The sooner we move on the sooner we might get that guy next time. & if he's not the one, I'm ready to move on from him as well.
Cal has been making the decisions and bad ones (Lovie/Culley) Now he'
s made a good one (Ryans) and he obviously is trusting Ryans to rebuild the team and rebuild the goodwill within the fanbase. Caserio is there to help Ryans carry out Ryans vision. I think they're going to do a great job working together, or as a fan I'm hoping they work well together because if they dont this org is going to be screwed for a long time.

If Cal listened to Caserio then Gannon would've been the HC instead of Lovie.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Now he's made a good one (Ryans) and he obviously is trusting Ryans to rebuild the team and rebuild the goodwill within the fanbase.
Except you said Cal is going to force them to draft a QB.

That's not trust. You can wait for Cal to change, while you're telling us he'll never change.

I rather we move on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Except you said Cal is going to force them to draft a QB.

That's not trust. You can wait for Cal to change, while you're telling us he'll never change.

I rather we move on.
You can make a good choice and undercut that choice for financial gain. It's a McNair trait.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Janice ain't gonna sell
It's not always money, but everyone has a price.

The real question is "Is one willing or able to pay it?"

I do agree it's not likely the Texans org changes hands anytime soon and most likely not in my lifetime..... but I guess it depends if some comes along that answers "Yes" to those questions.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Are we now trying to emulate San Francisco?

Demeco is going to & has brought people he knows & some of those people were 49ers.

That's no more trying to be SF than BO'b doing what he did.

BO'b just wasn't good at his job & Cal wasn't prepared for his.
On the field. Off the field let's see.

We were trying to emulate New England up and down.