Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 8 vs Aaron Donald

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wait. I thought you were not impressed with plays and stats during blowout losses against soft defenses?
I'm not,

I just dont think that there's a QB in the next draft that's better than Mills and since he's played so little he's got alot of room for improvement. Mills hasn't been well protected and he's really only had 1 bad mistake in this game.

Carson Strong/Pickett might be the exception to the rule.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm not,

I just dont think that there's a QB in the next draft that's better than Mills and since he's played so little he's got alot of room for improvement. Mills hasn't been well protected and he's really only had 1 bad mistake in this game.

Carson Strong/Pickett might be the exception to the rule.
He also has no run game.
A run game is not a luxury or an afterthought, it's a necessity for any decent offense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So excited to hear all week how Mills is improving after his garbage time stats
Shouldn’t expect any less. He doesn’t have the experience to play against top NFL defenses. He’s getting it now.

that rally against the second team helps me see real progress. Hopefully the Dolphins defense can’t field a full line of starters.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I feel like we have proven that this franchise does not have a person, (maybe even a friend of a friend), that knows how to evaluate offensive linemen .... not since Kubiak anyway.
Draft Linderbaum the interior of the OL will look alot better.

This team will look alot better with 4 simple picks if they end up with 1-1 and are able to trade Derrick and use the 49ers 1st.

1-1 Thibodeaux
1-24 Linderbaum
2-33 Deon Kendriks
Using a 3rd/4th trading back into the 2nd for the best OG possible.

Number19

Hall of Fame

This team will look alot better with 4 simple picks if they end up with 1-1 and are able to trade Derrick and use the 49ers 1st.

1-1 Thibodeaux
1-24 Linderbaum
2-33 Deon Kendriks
Hate to be a downer, but I don't think we should count on Watson picks in 2022. The legal issues will not be resolved in time for the draft and should actually be starting to really heat up. Mock drafts expecting these picks are unrealistic.

My question would be whether to go defense or offense with our first round pick and whether we could get another first round pick, or a high second, by trading down.

Because the OL, as a unit, requires more cohesion and developement than any other aspect of the team, I'd rather the Texans select OL'men with the first two selections. I'd trade out of 1-1.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hate to be a downer, but I don't think we should count on Watson picks in 2022. The legal issues will not be resolved in time for the draft and should actually be starting to really heat up. Mock drafts expecting these picks are unrealistic.

My question would be whether to go defense or offense with our first round pick and whether we could get another first round pick, or a high second, by trading down.

Because the OL, as a unit, requires more cohesion and developement than any other aspect of the team, I'd rather the Texans select OL'men with the first two selections. I'd trade out of 1-1.
I would be good with trading out of 1-1. If the team I was trading out with was looking for a QB. I really want 1 of Thibodeaux/Hutchinson or Stingley. I think they're the best 3 players in this draft. With that said if they traded down to say 7-10 range and those guys were gone I would be very happy to bring Kenyon Green home. That guys a stud. Put him with a guy like Linerbaum with a healthy Tunsil/Heck and you wouldn't be seeing the crap we saw today.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Today is the first game I didn't bother to watch or check online to see how I was going. First time in franchise history. I've never cared less. Our team is a mixture of the ball boy getting to rain 3s, the kid who runs to 3rd in tball and the guy who scores in the wrong basket... I really just want a team I can bother to watch again. Mike Polk is happy relative to us...

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club

1-1 Thibodeaux
1-24 Linderbaum
2-33 Deon Kendriks

I feel like I'm stuck in the twilight zone .... simply cannot find this guy !

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Mills showed really good arm strength on that pass to Conley. Neither feet on the ground, no hip in that throw, all arm.

But he throws a lot of weak passes when his feet are set.
He is improving but I don't know if we have a good QB coach. Pep is highly recommended but...

Number19

Hall of Fame
Rewatching the game, that second to last play of the first half was really smart play on the part of Nico Collins. Catching the pass, he then had the presence of mind not to run with it. He almost immediately touched himself to the surface and jumped up calling a timeout with 1 second on the clock (the time keeper added a second back). The FG was bad, but Mills and the smart play by Nico put us in position for the kick.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Stopping the playback at 10:22 of the 3rd Q. It was 3rd and 10. Mills had taken a sack on the previous play.

Mills is in the shot gun on the 20. The LOS is the 25. The ball is snapped at 10:23.

At 10:22 our OL has been pushed back/set up at the 20 as Mills prepares to throw on the 15.

We have 3 receivers in deep patterns on the right. There's a receiver shallow on the left after chipping a rusher. None of the receivers are looking for the ball. The middle of the field is open except for one LB?,

Mills is swarmed for a sack at the 15 at 10:21.

This sack is clearly on the OL. In a bit more than 1 second our OL has been pushed back from the 25 to the 15. But I have a second point - the play calling.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm looking at another pass play, the first play of the 4th Q. The Rams are rushing 5 players and I see 3 that wasn't blocked. Mills got the pass off for a short completion, but good grief, our OL!
I hear you, but it's hard to judge an OL with a rookie calling protection. Not that our guys don't suck, but when they pick up 2 out of 5, you know there was a communication problem.

I don't know if it's between the QB & the line or between one lineman to the next.