Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 7 Texans in Vegas

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
you’d think a franchise could figure out “all the above” after 20 years of experience.
Hopefully Cal just lets Caserio do his job. If this happens it will be a 1st and is a large reason why the McNair's have never won anything. The McNair's make the Spanos look competent.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He made more than one mistake, but just curious, how many mistakes did you see him make? In the 4th qtr. He didn't jump offsides after a dumb formation on a 4th and less than a yd. He was playing well in the 4th qtr today. Pep and the run defense lead to 2 TD's and then he had to try to make a play to get the team back into the game. He forced a ball and it got picked for a TD. He went down the way I want a QB going down. At least he took a chance and lost rather than playing it safe, putting up a bunch of meaningless stats and still losing.
Yea I thought Mills was playing his best game of the year until the roof fell in during the 4th quarter.
The pick happened because Mills was tryin to make a play, and he did gamble and of course the entire Vegas back-end was
licking their collective chops knowing the young QB had to throw caution to the wind in an effort to pull something, anything out.
Fact is there was a lot to like about Mills today.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Some people are fickle as heck around here. Have the audacity to squat on a player like Sauce. A rookie CB who is playing at a very high level. But then want to talk up Mills like he’s playing good football. He finally put together three quarters of solid production. But still showed he doesn’t have what it takes to at least fight for a win.

And no bleep, we all know it’s about winning. In today’s league you have to have a darn good quarterback to do so. Your quarterback has to be clutch. Mills made some darn good throws but when it counted the most he came up short again. Go out there and make a darn play for your team. Show us all that you’re a freaking leader.

And Tex for the record, if you go back and look at my history before this season started. I was all for Mills. He showed me some clutch-ness in those last 5 games of last season. Right now the only thing he’s shown me is regression. Nobody can us the offensive line and running back excuses. Why because the offensive line has been better in pass pro, and our running game is much better than last season.
I dont know anbody that's said Sauce isn't a really good player. They've just pointed out that Sauce/Stingley play in diffent schemes and Sauce plays with better talent around him.

As far as Mills goes, other than the pick 6 with 6 mins left to play and down 2 scores, what other bad plays did he have in the 4th qtr?

Today he was accurate like he was last yr. I'm thinking that thumb injury was worse than we were told about.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If Jesus was the QB for the Texans they still wouldn't be winning, and Jesus would be spending all his time and effort just trying to forgive everyone for their crappy play.

If Satan was the QB for the Texans they likewise wouldn't be winning, except Satan would vaporize all the Texan players who didn't do well and they'd be out of players before the end of the 1st quarter.

This team needs a lot more than just a functional QB to win.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Jesus was the QB for the Texans they still wouldn't be winning, and Jesus would be spending all his time and effort just trying to forgive everyone for their crappy play.

If Satan was the QB for the Texans they likewise wouldn't be winning, except Satan would vaporize all the Texan players who didn't do well and they'd be out of players before the end of the 1st quarter.

Jesus would be turning water into wine for the fanbase, because this fanbase needs a lot of wine to watch this team every Sunday.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Laid down $100 for Texans to win at +250 and they kept me hopeful for 3 quarters.

Couldn’t stop the run.

And couldn’t stop Adam’s across the middle.

Had fun though.

Raider fans were fun, not what I expected.
I've met many Raiders fans over the yrs, they're great fans. I was invited to Oakland to watch them play. I told them I wasn't down with that. ALL of them said they understood.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
And you’re 100% in correct. Lol off the chains. Mills was solid through three quarters. When it was money time him and Pep stunk up the joint. That’s a fact.
Pep stunk up the joint by giving Burkhead the 4th quarter. Turned this offense back into a very predictable unit. Pierce can catch and block so he shouldn’t be sitting on the sideline when the offense needs him most.

By the way, Mills INT didn’t lose this game and a TD wouldn’t have changed the outcome. The defense couldn’t stop anything all game. I believe teams are just going to gear up and run the ball down the Texans throats and hit slants anytime they want to against Lovie’s zone.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

I honestly don't. One of the biggest problems I had with the Texans hiring him as the DC last year was his defense at Illinois (he was not only HC but added DC to his title in 2019) ranked 97th nationally in 2019. In 2020 they were 73rd. Better, but not good. His HC record while at Illinois was 17-39 over 5 years. The 4 years prior they were 17-32. He did nothing for that football team. The excuse he made for his defense just prior to being fired was that he didn't have time to implement his scheme. He had five years. He's not going to get five years here...at least I hope he doesn't. Unless he vastly improves. If that happens, I will gladly eat crow.
Exactly!!! Lovie was DC last season and most of these players played in this defense. Big step backwards with this group.

Again, Caserio has to step in and tell Lovie he’s going to be HC but a new DC is on the way. The new DC will have the same latitude as Pep does for the offense.

OptimisticTexan

Caserio needs to add 2 nasty defensive players in the middle of his defense. Give me DT- Jalen Carter, Georgia (RD1) and ILB- Jack Campbell, Iowa (RD2 or RD3)…..that would be a solid start.
Let me add to this:

SS- JL Skinner, Boise State (6-4 @ 220 lbs)

DE- Mike Morris, Michigan (6-6 @ 292 lbs)

Anything else on defense could be answered via FA.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Pep stunk up the joint by giving Burkhead the 4th quarter. Turned this offense back into a very predictable unit. Pierce can catch and block so he shouldn’t be sitting on the sideline when the offense needs him most.

By the way, Mills INT didn’t lose this game and a TD wouldn’t have changed the outcome. The defense couldn’t stop anything all game. I believe teams are just going to gear up and run the ball down the Texans throats and hit slants anytime they want to against Lovie’s zone.
I never said it did. That three and out after the Raiders took the lead 24-20 lost us the game. I called game at this point because I knew the enter teams was going to choke up. Especially the defense.
The very next series Mills threw that pick 6. Pep then pulled DP, who call was that I don’t have the slightest idea.

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España

I guess they need satan to handle the scouting department, and or training camp from here on out.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's gonna take some more time for young Mr Mills to come into his own, but I know lots of folks around here don't want to hear anybody council patience.
If you happened to see the Giants & Jags yesterday then you know Giants QB Daniel Jones is finally playing some pretty good ball, but he's now in his fourth NFL season - most NFL QBs career don't take off in just their second season like Patrick MaHomes did.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
What happened to Pierce in the 4th qtr?

Why did we only see Rex & Dare?
There was a play, I think in the 2nd quarter, when Pierce ran out of bounds. That seemed strange enough to me because his whole mindset is usually to plow into people and get a few more yards. After that play, he asked out and then Burkhead came in for the rest of that drive (iirc.) That worried me. I was afraid Pierce had hurt himself on that run or something. But he came back and looked fine.

But then, like you said, in the 4th, they seemed to go into 3rd down back mode and pull Pierce. And that worries me. I hope he wasn't playing through something in the 3rd quarter and then they pulled him to bubble-wrap him.

With that said, Dare was looking pretty good. I'd like to see him getting more touches when the game is still on the line... but only if Pierce wants a breather.

Get out of here with this binary, illogical ass thinking.

A. Ain't nobody said Sauce wasn't a good player......but he ain't the only 1 on that defense making a huge difference...i'd argue he's not the 1 making the biggest difference
B. Noone's said Mills has been playing good football...if you look at any of my posts pre- this game i've repeatedly said that overall he's coming up short
C. Noone's disputed that you need a good qb to win.......ummm, duh..... That's ALWAYS been true regardless of the "era".

He did go out there "& make plays for his team"....but he's not the only dude on the team responsible for doing that. How about 1 of our edge guys come up with a critical sack on 3rd down to stop a drive........how about our LB's actually cover up a pass window adequately in zone coverage so that 3rd and long throw isn't as automatic as it has been for our opponents....how about someone on defense come up with a TO to get the offense an extra possession...how about anyone other than Pierce break a damn tackle....... How about 1 of the WR's bail their QB out...as it was Brevin Jordan damn near dropped a surefire TD pass..Why you not locking in on that? you're hyperfocused on what Mills is not doing b/c you still labor under the belief that he as the qb should rescue everybody & that line of thinking is & has always been off. Asking any player to go out and play a perfect game is a fools errand & you're always gonna be disappointed and think "he sucks" or "he's regressing" if you think that. You would think you of all people would understand that after watching DW4 in 2020 come up short for us after all his heroics.."Oh, there's other positions on the field who can make plays besides the QB?" Yeah, Chargers, Broncos & GB fans are finding this out now too...apparently you still have a ways to go in your understanding.
Well said.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Desmond King played well and is having a solid season overall. I wonder if he will be available at trade deadline assuming Tavierre Thomas is close to making it back?

A team like the 49ers who are all-in but is desperately in need of a solid vet CB like King could part with one of their young RBs. I want Mitchell.

Texans could get their RB duo on rookie contracts while 49ers go into win-now mode.
We are in need of KEEPING a solid CB. In a rebuild, if we keep trading our established assets and betting on "better," we will never see the finish line in the rebuild.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
So some of you think we should avoid trying to upgrade our QB because the team around the position is trash LOL. You guys are crazy. By the time this entire team is good, we will waste their prime waiting for a QB to figure out the league. They need to do both simultaneously. This was the year to have a bridge QB, not the next 4.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So some of you think we should avoid trying to upgrade our QB because the team around the position is trash LOL. You guys are crazy. By the time this entire team is good, we will waste their prime waiting for a QB to figure out the league. They need to do both simultaneously. This was the year to have a bridge QB, not the next 4.
If there was a QB worth the pick then I would agree with you.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
At a bare minimum get the talent level up much higher than it is now..So that whomever is eventually brought in, they have the best shot possible. Bringing in a kid right now…you’re basically saying you’re throwing his 1st 2 years of development in the dumpster. He has very little weaponry to work with on the offensive side and his defense aint much further along.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At a bare minimum get the talent level up much higher than it is now..So that whomever is eventually brought in, they have the best shot possible. Bringing in a kid right now…you’re basically saying you’re throwing his 1st 2 years of development in the dumpster. He has very little weaponry to work with on the offensive side and his defense aint much further along.
I wish I thought the run game was “fixed” but the RB corps had a depth of one. I’m willing to wait for the OL to gel another 3 or 4 weeks. I was impressed against Jville, but need to see more.

& we’ve got to do something about that defense. I don’t want to bring in a young QB who has to learn & adapt while needing to score 40ppg

if we can’t run screens (& I did see a few good screens yesterday) we’re far removed from thinking about QB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I wish I thought the run game was “fixed” but the RB corps had a depth of one. I’m willing to wait for the OL to gel another 3 or 4 weeks. I was impressed against Jville, but need to see more.

& we’ve got to do something about that defense. I don’t want to bring in a young QB who has to learn & adapt while needing to score 40ppg

if we can’t run screens (& I did see a few good screens yesterday) we’re far removed from thinking about QB.
Now if the Colts would’ve thought this way. They would’nt have won a SB. They draft P. Manning and that team was terrible, especially on the defensive side. They worked on the offense first and then started building up that defense.

You can not be scared to draft a quarterback because your team is terrible.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Now if the Colts would’ve thought this way. They would’nt have won a SB. They draft P. Manning and that team was terrible, especially on the defensive side. They worked on the offense first and then started building up that defense.

If you think a quarterback is a generational talent like they thought Manning and Luck were, you are absolutely correct. But if you don't see that, do you draft a quarterback higher than you have him ranked or do you draft BPA at a position of need?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Like I had said several times already, there have been many successful QBs that were drafted into bad-poor situations.

The Texans current offensive side isn't all that bad (if you replace Mills with a good QB , doesn't have to be great, like Derek Carr, a younger Tannehill, Kirk Cousin, etc.)

Besides, the Texans will have more picks next year and more cap space.

You may not be aware of it, but back in 2012 (when I don't think Schaub was gonna get any better after the injury, backed by our in-house Doc CNND's opinion), I had stated on the draft forum that I don't mind for the Texans to take 3 QBs: Wilson (as high as the second, due to his experience in a WCO at NC St. and in a Pro system at Wisonsin), Cousins in the fourth (pro system in college) and Keenum (at least with a fifth).
That was my best QB scouting year.

With the money they paid Schaub, they could have gotten a couple of FAs to make up for the second and fourth rounder easily.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
If you think a quarterback is a generational talent like they thought Manning and Luck were, you are absolutely correct. But if you don't see that, do you draft a quarterback higher than you have him ranked or do you draft BPA at a position of need?
If you see a QB you like you draft him. Plenty of QBs have gone to bad situations only to help turn things around. Plenty of QBs have been touted as the next best thing and completely flopped. It's a crap shoot. Take the guy you like when available. Otherwise, you risk getting stuck with garbage.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If you see a QB you like you draft him. Plenty of QBs have gone to bad situations only to help turn things around. Plenty of QBs have been touted as the next best thing and completely flopped. It's a crap shoot. Take the guy you like when available. Otherwise, you risk getting stuck with garbage.
Yes that is what I said... but you don't take a quarterback in the top 10 if you don't think he's your future.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Lol exactly. This organization has its fans scared to do this or do that.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I'm trying to keep up. Is this where we are?
  1. We want to draft a QB but only if he's a franchise QB
  2. If he is a franchise QB, we only want him on his first contract because his 2nd contract will be more than 15% of the cap
  3. Mills might not be the guy. But, if he has a decent game or plays well for 4 quarters, it gives us hope that we don't need to draft a QB
  4. If Mills becomes more consistent this season, we draft BPA instead of Stroud or Young.
  5. Mills needs more talent for us to properly evaluate him, but while we wait on that talent, we draft other areas and wait on the 2024 draft
  6. The defensive front seven is trash. But, we don't want to wait to upgrade the front seven before discarding the scheme
Why does this feel like paralysis by analysis?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I’m not scared to draft a QB. I’d draft him & sit him if I thought he was the one & the team wasn’t going to help him adapt.

I just don’t think they need to be focused on replacing Mills at the moment. If he turns into Manzel & starts working against the team sure. But not now

& yeah if there were a Peyton Manning in this draft I’d definitely take him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Here’s my thing. I never thought Luck was that guy. I would have passed on Luck at the top of the draft.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We want to draft a QB but only if he's a franchise QB
Yes.
If he is a franchise QB, we only want him on his first contract because his 2nd contract will be more than 15% of the cap
I don’t believe that crap. Instead I’d like someone who knows how to structure contracts & manage the cap.
If Mills becomes more consistent this season, we draft BPA instead of Stroud or Young
Not interested in Young at all.
Mills needs more talent for us to properly evaluate him, but while we wait on that talent, we draft other areas and wait on the 2024 draft
It’s not about Mills. Evaluate the talent. If you end up at a spot in the draft where a QB is the best player & best fit for your team… get him. Don’t use a curve when evaluating or a sliding scale.
The defensive front seven is trash. But, we don't want to wait to upgrade the front seven before discarding the scheme
There are other teams out there with a strong front 4 and lots of zone coverage that work well. I’m not concerned about the scheme. More so about implementation. Need to be more aggressive

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Just because you think a QB is a generational talent, doesn't mean he will be. I mean somebody thought that about Ryan Leaf. The draft is a crapshoot. But one thing's for certain, even if you build a great team, you still need an above average QB to have a chance of being a consistent winner. So if you don't have that QB, you're going to have to find one.

In the Texans case, if they passed on QB to draft BPA at a position of need, well, damn near every position on the team is in need. They'd never get a QB doing that.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I'm trying to keep up. Is this where we are?
  1. We want to draft a QB but only if he's a franchise QB
  2. If he is a franchise QB, we only want him on his first contract because his 2nd contract will be more than 15% of the cap
  3. Mills might not be the guy. But, if he has a decent game or plays well for 4 quarters, it gives us hope that we don't need to draft a QB
  4. If Mills becomes more consistent this season, we draft BPA instead of Stroud or Young.
  5. Mills needs more talent for us to properly evaluate him, but while we wait on that talent, we draft other areas and wait on the 2024 draft
  6. The defensive front seven is trash. But, we don't want to wait to upgrade the front seven before discarding the scheme
Why does this feel like paralysis by analysis?
Yep. As is normal, there are a few consensus opinions, most of which directly conflict. Nothing wrong with that as long as the debate is rational. But then again, this is football and testerone is an angry hormone.

My opinion is Mills has a lot of ability and was less developed than most QB's, then he had to start over with a new playbook, so continuing with his development is justified. Spend the 2023 picks on elite pass rushers, LB's, and O-line.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’m not scared to draft a QB. I’d draft him & sit him if I thought he was the one & the team wasn’t going to help him adapt.

I just don’t think they need to be focused on replacing Mills at the moment. If he turns into Manzel & starts working against the team sure. But not now

& yeah if there were a Peyton Manning in this draft I’d definitely take him.
Were you able to identify guys like Allen, Burrow, and Herbert?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I would rather spend that FA money on a LB or 2 in FA.
They ran it back with the same group that wasn't that good last year. Kirkskey,KGH are all trash. Lopez and Hinish are breather guys. You can sign Ray Lewis in his prime and it wouldn't matter. Remember Lewis was on skates when they let Adams and Goose go post superbowl ?They keep wasting time with these older guys who wouldn't get as much time for any other team in nfl. You better get ready for some Clemson trash because some of the highest rated interior dl players play for Clemson.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Wouldn't the defense look so much better with Anderson/Carter on the front line and then signing a guy like Smith in FA, add a guy like Myles Jack in FA too and this defense will look a lot better. This could happen depending on how bad the Browns are. Also by trading down you could get more picks for next yrs draft and the 2024 draft. The 2024 draft should be a really deep draft.
They scored 20 pts today, that's it. In todays nfl, how many games you're going to win scoring 20 pts. On top of that, the Raiders defense isn't good and they scored 20 pts.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yep. As is normal, there are a few consensus opinions, most of which directly conflict. Nothing wrong with that as long as the debate is rational. But then again, this is football and testerone is an angry hormone.

My opinion is Mills has a lot of ability and was less developed than most QB's, then he had to start over with a new playbook, so continuing with his development is justified. Spend the 2023 picks on elite pass rushers, LB's, and O-line.
You still can draft your quarterback next year. Snatch up an elite pass rusher. Then follow that up with 2 LB’s and another offensive linemen.

Now you can have that rookie quarterback sit and learn. If Mills still doesn’t show he’s the guy. You have your quarterback who won’t be rushed into the action like most of this group wants.
You have 11 draft picks. Nick has showed everyone on here that he has a great eye for talent.

OptimisticTexan

There was a play, I think in the 2nd quarter, when Pierce ran out of bounds. That seemed strange enough to me because his whole mindset is usually to plow into people and get a few more yards. After that play, he asked out and then Burkhead came in for the rest of that drive (iirc.) That worried me. I was afraid Pierce had hurt himself on that run or something. But he came back and looked fine.

But then, like you said, in the 4th, they seemed to go into 3rd down back mode and pull Pierce. And that worries me. I hope he wasn't playing through something in the 3rd quarter and then they pulled him to bubble-wrap him.

With that said, Dare was looking pretty good. I'd like to see him getting more touches when the game is still on the line... but only if Pierce wants a breather.
Burkhead and the 4th quarter has been the Texans SOP since GM1. Just curious as to when Pep and his offense go a different direction since 4th quarter production has done nothing to make defenses honest. 4th quarter…..defenses are stacking the box and blitzing or showing blitz.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

It's gonna take some more time for young Mr Mills to come into his own, but I know lots of folks around here don't want to hear anybody council patience.
If you happened to see the Giants & Jags yesterday then you know Giants QB Daniel Jones is finally playing some pretty good ball, but he's now in his fourth NFL season - most NFL QBs career don't take off in just their second season like Patrick MaHomes did.
How about Caserio find out what the Colts would take for QB- Nick Foles before the deadline. Me, I think a RD6 pick in 2023 or a RD5 in 2024 could probably get a trade done. Mills would finally have a respected QB2 mentor to help him navigate the development process.

To push Mills…..2023 would be an open competition for QB1. I’d let it be known that both QB’s would be kept regardless of the outcome. Win-win opportunity for both QB’s.

I’d also be knocking on the Jets door to find out what they’re wanting for WR- Denzel Mims. They dressed him for the first time this season and didn’t really target him during the game. I believe the Jets would be happy to part ways with Mims for a fair price. I’d offer them a RD4 in 2023 or RD3 in 2024…..let them choose their preferred option.