Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 7 @ Arizona

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is typical of Mills season stats. Mills has 5 TDs & 7 INTs. Has one of the lowest yards per attempt. Has 88 completions, 5 over 20+ and 2 over 40+. Mills has only been effective with passes < 10 yards and behind the line of scrimmage.
2021 NFL passing stats - Players | NFL.com
Going by stats alone I can see how you come to that conclusion. But watching him play, he’s throwing plenty of intermediate stuff, 10 to 15. He doesn’t throw many over 20 yards & he’s not hitting on the ones he throws.

Not trying to make excuses for him but when the game plan is to run on 1st & 2nd down then let the kid bail you out, it’s not going to look pretty.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Epic! 3rd and 13 and we throw it 5 yards.
That’s been a Texans staple since inception……must’ve been established in “The Great Team Playbook”. The last time a 3rd and 13 was perceived as a nothing burger was during the Oilers Run-N-Shoot days. I wonder each and every time I watch a Texans pathetic offensive output what a modern day version of the Run-N-Shoot could do against defenses now that TE’s are big and fast enough to be incorporated as 4th and 5th receivers.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Not sure if the play calling on offense is a result of mills not being ready or Kelly?
Seeing that this is pretty much the same shite we -as fans- have been watching since OB was OC, and the same shite when he appointed his personal apprentice -Kelly- to the position of OC…..I’m going to put the blame for this shiteshow completely on the shoulders of Kelly.

Insanity….definition of doing the same shite over and over and over while hoping for different results.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
1st I’m not being completely literal. I’m using a literary device called hyperbole. If you look at the post I’m quoting he’s using comprehensive stats.

So I’m not talking about this game in particular.
Uhm, again, no.

All the games play by play can be found on ProFootballReference.com

For example:

Use them to check the game films quickly.

You think "too highly" of the rookie QB.

He was never asked to save the day.

It was dink and dunk.
Throw the ball long once in awhile when you can see it; otherwise just check it off or throw it away and punt.
As your loving HC had instructed, "it's OK to throw the ball away". (ie., don't play Hero Ball) :brando:

On third and long, it's the same concept, mostly throwing short of the stick and let the receiver work it.
On third and very long, it's often the draw play special.

Mills' mistakes were mainly his own, often early or in manageable down/distance.

OptimisticTexan

Yeah, I didn't really get a chance to watch the game.

This coaching staff, who I was very high on when it came to instilling discipline into the team, seems to have lost its way.
I think the Texans were fired up and ready for the season when they got the win over the Jags and Taylor looked much better than expected. Texans were in the second game and playing good ball when Taylor went down with injury…..which turned into a pivot point b/c Mills was sent out to manage Kelly’s suddenly regressive ducking offense. Then came the glimmer of hope against the Patriots and Mills looking like he belonged but true to the Texans heritage…..Air Brake Kelly ushered out the ol’ “play not to lose” offense and everything went south in a hurry.

Bottom line…..the coaches quit on the players and now the players have quit on the coaches. I believe Caserio will need a new HC and staff b/c I wouldn’t want this staff infecting the new players being drafted with this defeatism attitude.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans were fired up and ready for the season when they got the win over the Jags and Taylor looked much better than expected. Texans were in the second game and playing good ball when Taylor went down with injury…..which turned into a pivot point b/c Mills was sent out to manage Kelly’s suddenly regressive ducking offense. Then came the glimmer of hope against the Patriots and Mills looking like he belonged but true to the Texans heritage…..Air Brake Kelly ushered out the ol’ “play not to lose” offense and everything went south in a hurry.

Bottom line…..the coaches quit on the players and now the players have quit on the coaches. I believe Caserio will need a new HC and staff b/c I wouldn’t want this staff infecting the new players being drafted with this defeatism attitude.
Culley will be here for 1 more yr.

Btw, I agree with you.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The only penalty I put on the coaches is the illegal formation. They did a bad job teaching it.

The roughing the passer on Collins was a ticky tack foul that shouldn’t have been called.

The horse cooler & the holding.. those are talent issues. Guy got beat, what you gonna do?
True, but if the coaches drill no mistakes like Hoodie. Offsides is about all you will get most games.

But I agree with you

Texian

Hall of Fame
Going by stats alone I can see how you come to that conclusion. But watching him play, he’s throwing plenty of intermediate stuff, 10 to 15. He doesn’t throw many over 20 yards & he’s not hitting on the ones he throws.

Not trying to make excuses for him but when the game plan is to run on 1st & 2nd down then let the kid bail you out, it’s not going to look pretty.
My point is there is a lot praise, adoration and great expectations for Davis Mills. People are believing what they hope and want to be true, not what is actually happening on the field. The stats simply don't support these great expectations. Mills excels in the short passing game, most QBs do. He also lives in check down heaven. 10+ yards is certainly not as rosy a picture and is fraught with inaccuracies, missed throws, INTs and turnovers. Not all of this is Mills fault. If he was surrounded by better coaching and better talent those 10+ yard stats may improve.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If Mark Ingram would of had 15 yards rushing I would of won around 10k on draft kings. I was just a little pissed over his love for crappy David Johnson....
The only thing that was accomplished by giving Johnson more touches than Ingram was to give the Cardinals fans another opportunity to laugh at the Texans. I bet it was a hoot watching the turf monster trip him up on that screen play or falling at the first sign of contact.

Number19

Hall of Fame
The play calling seems to be way to conservative. Probbably because the OL couldn't hold out long enough to throw the deeper routes?
At one point in the game (listening on the radio) the commentator said Mills had so much pressure he could only receive the snap and immediately throw to a predetermined receiver. No time for reads. Receive the snap and throw.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The only thing that was accomplished by giving Johnson more touches than Ingram was to give the Cardinals fans another opportunity to laugh at the Texans. I bet it was a hoot watching the turf monster trip him up on that screen play or falling at the first sign of contact.
Does he look faster in practice? Is he breaking virtual tackles left & right?

I don’t understand how he gets any playing time?

Is Ingram in the doghouse?

Number19

Hall of Fame
This is typical of Mills season stats. Mills has 5 TDs & 7 INTs. Has one of the lowest yards per attempt. Has 88 completions, 5 over 20+ and 2 over 40+. Mills has only been effective with passes < 10 yards and behind the line of scrimmage.
2021 NFL passing stats - Players | NFL.com
But who is this on? Look at post 340. Mills had 2 completions out of 3 attempts in the 10-20 yd range for 40 yds. Listening on the radio, the commentator said Mills wasn't having time for anything more than the short pass.

Number19

Hall of Fame

Post 340 shows he had 3 attempts in the 10-20 range with 2 completions for 40 yds.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
At one point in the game (listening on the radio) the commentator said Mills had so much pressure he could only receive the snap and immediately throw to a predetermined receiver. No time for reads. Receive the snap and throw.
Gotta get this fixed.

Either this season through adjustments, or bringing in new talent through the draft in the offseason. Having both of your OT positions locked down should make this an easy fix.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My point is there is a lot praise, adoration and great expectations for Davis Mills. People are believing what they hope and want to be true, not what is actually happening on the field. The stats simply don't support these great expectations. Mills excels in the short passing game, most QBs do. He also lives in check down heaven. 10+ yards is certainly not as rosy a picture and is fraught with inaccuracies, missed throws, INTs and turnovers. Not all of this is Mills fault. If he was surrounded by better coaching and better talent those 10+ yard stats may improve.
Who are these posters?

Most here think Mills has promise and want to see if he can fufill that promise. I dont see any adoration or great expectations that you're referring too.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But who is this on? Look at post 340. Mills had 2 completions out of 3 attempts in the 10-20 yd range for 40 yds. Listening on the radio, the commentator said Mills wasn't having time for anything more than the short pass.
Gotta get this fixed.

Either this season through adjustments, or bringing in new talent through the draft in the offseason. Having both of your OT positions locked down should make this an easy fix.
Right now I think it’s on Mills. I believe what we are seeing is DCs playing him lol a rookie that can’t beat a blitz. Until he starts making defenses pay for crowding the line & snuffing the run they’re going to keep doing it. As they should.

He’s got to take the next step. Which is why I think he would benefit from taking the bench & resetting.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Gotta get this fixed.

Wasn't the strip sack from Howard getting beat? You can make the case that the Texans do not have an o-lineman that's currently on the roster that will be here in 2024. Doesn't look like an easy fix to me.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Right now I think it’s on Mills. I believe what we are seeing is DCs playing him lol a rookie that can’t beat a blitz. Until he starts making defenses pay for crowding the line & snuffing the run they’re going to keep doing it. As they should.

He’s got to take the next step. Which is why I think he would benefit from taking the bench & resetting.
We can't see Mills with better supporting talent, so I'd like to see what Taylor can do, for a couple of games, with the same supporting talent Mills has. We have the Rams next Sunday followed by an easy game against Miami, then the bye and then Tennessee.

The Rams and the Titans games should be a good indication how a veteran qb can perform with our team talent.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wasn't the strip sack from Howard getting beat? You can make the case that the Texans do not have an o-lineman that's currently on the roster that will be here in 2024. Doesn't look like an easy fix to me.
If Tunsil and Heck can lockdown the OT positions, you can find a starter level C and OG in the 3rd rd. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting 2 of the best OL in this draft in rds 1-2, (Kenyon Green and C Tyler Linderbaum.) That would turn this group from a weakness into a strength. Too bad they missed on Howard (Who never should've been drafted in the 1st to begin with, thanks Devlin) and Scharping.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yesterday, the Titans starting OL had Kendall Lamm, Ben Jones and David Quessenberry. Three former Texans and they gave up one sack. I'm really starting to wonder if the ongoing issues with the OL is a scheme related issue and not a talent issue.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We can't see Mills with better supporting talent, so I'd like to see what Taylor can do, for a couple of games, with the same supporting talent Mills has. We have the Rams next Sunday followed by an easy game against Miami, then the bye and then Tennessee.

The Rams and the Titans games should be a good indication how a veteran qb can perform with our team talent.
Miami may be easy but if we're talkin about quarterbacks Tua is playing twice as good as Davis Mills.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Who are these posters?

Most here think Mills has promise and want to see if he can fufill that promise. I dont see any adoration or great expectations that you're referring too.
Have you had a look in the mirror lately? Are you suffering from Kool Aid Syndrome?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

He's not going to be able to take the next step playing behind this OL. It's as bad as the Carr/Derrick rookie OL's.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you had a look in the mirror lately? Are you suffering from Kool Aid Syndrome?
What?

I've said Mills has promise and he's green. He can only learn through playing.

This just in, there's only one man throughout time that I adore. Jesus Christ.

He ain't Mills and he certainly ain't Derrick.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
He's been a large part of the problem
I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

What do you think made his play fall off?
Currently, Mahomes is tied with Trevor Lawrence with 11 turnovers and 9 of his turnovers are INTs. He has thrown an INT in six consecutive games. The result of the INTs ranged from bad luck, to passes bouncing off his WRs, bad OL play, to him playing too much hero ball or pressing to overcome a last ranked defense.

In yesterday's game, he was pressured, he rolled out and instead of throwing the ball away or running, he throws a fastball to their 2nd or 3rd string WR. It was a tight window because a defender was standing next to the WR and had tight coverage. The pass bounces off the WR and was intercepted. See the play at the 30 second mark.

Last edited:

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

What do you think made his play fall off?
Mahomes was directly responsible for the Titans being up 27-0 at the half. Not sure you can put any of these on the rest of the team.

1. His fumble on 3rd down on their opening drive resulting in a punt

2. His is INT on their third drive that led to a TD when he threw it directly at Evans who had a defender in his hip pocket

3. His fumble on their fourth drive where he didn't slide after already getting the 1st down that lead to a FG

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I kept saying that Mills should have stayed at Stanford another year but you guys keep hoping that he'll show good improvement.

Then comes the excuses with the offensive line and the running game.

Sure, they're not on par, but Mills brought plenty unto himself.

The strip sack, for example, was another example of how his piss-poor ball fake hurts him.
Nobody bought it.

The RILB, had he bought a little bit of the fake, would have charged the LOS harder, inadvertly blocking his own man (who was on 13 Cooks). That would have given Mills an easy target across the middle.

34 didn't charge toward the line; he immediately dropped back to cover the RB, taking away another easy outlet.

It was first and ten; the Cardinals only came with a run blitz; they didn't have the intention of blitzing the passer.
A poor ball fake tells the defenders to get onto the QB right away, instead having to think about the RB.

I guarantee you that with a veteran QB like TT, the game will be different.

banned1976

sleeper mode

I'd like to see Taylor in the game as well, because I think he's the better of the two, but at the same time I want the Texans to do what they need to do in preparation for next offseason. The only thing playing Taylor does at this juncture is allow fans to decide if the offensive line sucks with just Mills behind center or do they suck with any quarterback back there. And I think I already know the answer to that question.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
For his last two games? Heck yeah. Atlanta 3-2 before Tua. 32/40 80% 291 yards 4 passing TDs 2INTs only one sack.

We would love to have that for our QB stats.
The Dolphins lost to Falcons who were 2-3 going into that game.

And if it is just about stats for a single game, Mills put up 300+ with 3 TDs and no INTs against New England.