Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 Post Game Thread: I told you so

Defense balled today, especially from the last drive before the half forward. Keeping in mind, the secondary is short handed, Derek got his between the 20’s but the D made multiple terrific stops. They also corralled Kamara very well for the most part. This D isn’t getting pounded on the ground like last year. It’s not a great D yet, but it’s certainly a massive improvement on recent seasons, and Ryans has them tackling better, setting the edge better…now it’s all about fine tuning.

In short, imo 76 gives this D short shrift. And if the offense had sustained anything in the 2nd half, they wouldn’t have needed to make those awesome stops late in the game. Defense played very well today. I’m pumped for the future. It’s all up from here.
Porky also gave it to the D.

In this game, the D could have been dominant had Nelson pulled in both early Ints.

That would render the last Int unnecessary.

Who among us thought the Texans had the game in the bag during the last drive by the Saints?

At any rate, it's a good "quarrel" to have.

I believe the Texans, as a whole, is moving in the right direction, despite all the injuries.

It was fun to watch the boys playing again.
It's a good thing that we start to ask for more, don't you all think?

Superstars?
Okay… that’s fair. Let me rephrase… “supposed” superstars. Would that be a better way to put it? I meant that he is on a normal contract and was a low round pick. He isn’t expected to be the “superstar” that a first round pick would be.

Reactions: JB
Fortunately the running game came to life and took pressure off of Stroud.

Not getting a TD on 1st and goal on the 1 was bad. Maybe they should put Hutchinson in the wildcat there and just move it forward for a yard.
When I used to go see the Colts v Texans or vs Titans, Manning and Harrison would just work in that pylon throw over and over. Inside the 5 should be jump ball to Nico, Hutch, or Qt. They need to at least throw it once when down there.

I saw Pierce run right by a nice hole a few times today. His vision is terrible
Yeah,he's running to contact. You look in Miami ,SF, and now the Rams again and they find certain kind of runners. No matter how good they look in another scheme, they must be disciplined as a runner in this scheme. Pacheco is a violent runner, but he's very disciplined.

I agree. To add to the defensive woes… I’m loving what Cashman’s doing out there but let’s be honest… he isn’t supposed to be doing all that. He’s supposedly a JAG. Our superstars are supposed to be doing this and they aren’t finishing plays enough to shake opponents.
giphy.gif

Nelson could have brought in an Int or two instead of the Texans having to rely on their FG to miss a kick.

That's some fortunate event(s) that cannot be relied on to win a game.
So dropping interceptions (Texans bad), but missing FG's (Saints unlucky) seems to make you inconsistent. Not every play is made, or penalty called. It is so hard to point to a play and say that one makes a difference. If Saints kick two field goals Bobby and CJ call different plays. Playing the should of could of game is nonsense. The picks would have changed the game if caught, BUT we don't know how as all play calling changes

Okay… that’s fair. Let me rephrase… “supposed” superstars. Would that be a better way to put it? I meant that he is on a normal contract and was a low round pick. He isn’t expected to be the “superstar” that a first round pick would be.
I think Cashman is doing great, as well. He's never been healthy enough to make an impact on defense. And while most of the defense is still learning their role, Cashman has an advantage at LB as he was in Robert Saleh's similar scheme with the Jets.

As I said in the preseason about Nico, and it applies to all players, be available and good things can happen for you and your team.
I want in on the joke. Everyone else is ROFL, but it's flying over my head like a ROFLcopter.

OIP.aScZHH5ur5q2K3QUyNCMlQAAAA

If this game was flipped, we'd be saying the Texans shot themselves in the foot. Passing yards was 177 (Texans) to 341 (Saints). The only time I felt the Texans were going to win was with the interception. The Saints had more first downs than the Texans, they had a higher yards per than the Texans, and they were better on 3rd downs than the Texans.

All that being said, it's a whole lot better being on the other side of these games. The Texans took care of the ball, ran the ball fairly well, and played disciplined. That's why they won the game, IMO.

There’s a lot of later rounders who turned out to be superstars in this league. A lot of them had hall of fame careers. I said that because we have to stop saying a late round pick isn’t expected to do this or that. If he’s out there starting and playing heavy minutes, the expectation should be the same. Make plays.

Singletary needs to start getting the bulk of the carries
Singletary has shown in the past he's not a RB that can handle the bulk of the carries. He's doing what he can. Have to get what they can from Pierce the rest of the way. Still 11 games left.

Overall, I agree that this seems real. I think there's enough room for improvement to expect more as the season moves along. I see the Texans being favored in 6 of their remaining games. 8-9 wins is very possible.
I just think he looks like a... well, I really shouldn't say
That doesn't help.

I think Cashman is doing great, as well. He's never been healthy enough to make an impact on defense. And while most of the defense is still learning their role, Cashman has an advantage at LB as he was in Robert Saleh's similar scheme with the Jets.

As I said in the preseason about Nico, and it applies to all players, be available and good things can happen for you and your team.

Cashman, Nico, and Greenard are on that "can you stay healthy?" list.

The other list Cashman is on is PFFs as he's now their #1 ranked interior LB mostly due to his pass coverage grade.

What I love, is how CJ Strouds teammates reacted to his his first interception. Like dogs on a bone, after ball carrier (should have just went down) props to his boy Nico for ripping that thing and Tytus Howard using all that big body to secure the fumble. Game Over Baby! Then, like nothing happened, CJ drove Texans down field in five plays and scored a TD to Woods. Recovery, resilience, leadership, Houston we no longer have a problem, we have our leader and franchise QB.

:logo:

But nobody said the game was won "mainly" because of the Defense. That's something you read into it.

Last week the Defense couldn't hold up for 50 some odd seconds. This week they held for a qtr. Lot's of help from the Saints, none from our offense in the 4th Qtr.

The offense got a lead. The Defense held on to it. Nobody said anything about "mainly"
There's a night and day difference in the defensive play calling this week compared to last week, especially at the end of the game.

Because of what happened in the 4th qtr.

Everybody else understood what we meant. I don't know if you're just trying to pick a fight.
You know me better.
I always want justice for all, especially those who were slighted, or worse , "wrongly accused".

There’s a lot of later rounders who turned out to be superstars in this league. A lot of them had hall of fame careers. I said that because we have to stop saying a late round pick isn’t expected to do this or that. If he’s out there starting and playing heavy minutes, the expectation should be the same. Make plays.

I know that. I was not trying to be captain obvious about it. I’m clearly using the wrong words to describe the expectations. I’ll think of a better approach and try again. Bear with me.

So dropping interceptions (Texans bad), but missing FG's (Saints unlucky) seems to make you inconsistent. Not every play is made, or penalty called. It is so hard to point to a play and say that one makes a difference. If Saints kick two field goals Bobby and CJ call different plays. Playing the should of could of game is nonsense. The picks would have changed the game if caught, BUT we don't know how as all play calling changes
I don't play could of.
The Saints missed the FGs.
Even Demeco Ryans celebrated on the sideline. BIG TIME.
Period.

I saw Pierce run right by a nice hole a few times today. His vision is terrible
For those that are criticizing DP and his attempts and yards vs DS and Boone and calling for him to get benched....I have a serious ? for yall.

What is the breakdown of run attempts for each back to the Left, Up the middle, and to the Right??

Watching the game I recall most if not all of DS's and Boones runs were behind Tunsil and Howard and for some reason Slowik likes to run DP behind Fant or some failing block of TE over the right side or straight up the middle when the box is stacked.

Really want to know if its just me or if my eyes and memory are failing me....b/c if thats the case then the comparison is apples to oranges and the hate is just that...hater trying to hate.

For those that are criticizing DP and his attempts and yards vs DS and Boone and calling for him to get benched....I have a serious ? for yall.

What is the breakdown of run attempts for each back to the Left, Up the middle, and to the Right??

Watching the game I recall most if not all of DS's and Boones runs were behind Tunsil and Howard and for some reason Slowik likes to run DP behind Fant or some failing block of TE over the right side or straight up the middle when the box is stacked.

Really want to know if its just me or if my eyes and memory are failing me....b/c if thats the case then the comparison is apples to oranges and the hate is just that...hater trying to hate.
We’re complaining because he’s not using his vision. I pointed that out last week against Atlanta. One time he had a big hole to the right and he elected to seek out the contact. If he would’ve went to the right, he probably would have had a big gain. Maybe even a touchdown.
I like DP’s toughness and energy. But if you’re the number one back, you have to get better with your all around game. Especially with his vision.
And you’re right the offensive line has to do their part and so does the TE’s and receivers.

We’re complaining because he’s not using his vision. I pointed that out last week against Atlanta. One time he had a big hole to the right and he elected to seek out the contact. If he would’ve went to the right, he probably would have had a big gain. Maybe even a touchdown.
I like DP’s toughness and energy. But if you’re the number one back, you have to get better with your all around game. Especially with his vision.
And you’re right the offensive line has to do their part and so does the TE’s and receivers.
Yeah that play comes to mind. Hesitated and ran straight through 2 defenders waiting for him instead of just running straight down the sideline and making them chase him.

I will admit there have been runs where I think he missed wide open lanes, and yes I wish he would try to out run someone down the sideline and punish them when they get close and try to push/tackle him out of bounds...but a ton of his bad runs have been with bad playcalls or horrendous blocking in front of him.

I want in on the joke. Everyone else is ROFL, but it's flying over my head like a ROFLcopter.

OIP.aScZHH5ur5q2K3QUyNCMlQAAAA
I didn't realize Cashman had played for Saleh.

I will admit there have been runs where I think he missed wide open lanes, and yes I wish he would try to out run someone down the sideline and punish them when they get close and try to push/tackle him out of bounds...but a ton of his bad runs have been with bad playcalls or horrendous blocking in front of him.
Watch how patient Singletary runs and compare that with Pierce's running style.

I agree they are doing a great job but nothing as stark as what Demeco is doing here in so short a time.

Especially if we continue to see improvement.
I think that's a little bit homerish as the same could be said about what Shane Steichen is doing in Indy plus again what Dan Campbell has done. He's got the Lions at 5-1 (only loss being in OT) I think coach of the year would go to the one who has turned around a program to 5-1 rather than 3-3.

Still lots of season to go, but already from the way I've seen global media it's Campbell or McDaniels. Which is well deserved for either.

I think that's a little bit homerish as the same could be said about what Shane Steichen is doing in Indy plus again what Dan Campbell has done. He's got the Lions at 5-1 (only loss being in OT) I think coach of the year would go to the one who has turned around a program to 5-1 rather than 3-3.

Still lots of season to go, but already from the way I've seen global media it's Campbell or McDaniels. Which is well deserved for either.

giphy.gif

Cambell had done a great job, but he's not a rookie HC and its not his first year coaching the Lions...they came on strong last year so they were already on an uptrend.

DeMeco has plenty of time to get a coach of the year award, he doesn't need one this year. He'll probably get five or six of them to go with all the SB trophies we will also have to find shelf space for.
Love the "Homerism" bro.
If DR is any kind of speechmeister, he can get the best out of his squad.
I can honestly see them makin
DeMeco has plenty of time to get a coach of the year award, he doesn't need one this year. He'll probably get five or six of them to go with all the SB trophies we will also have to find shelf space for.
Love your "Homerism" bro.
If DR is any kind of decent speechmeister, he can get these boys firing on all cylinders and I would not be surprised if Texans make the PO's this season.

Singletary has shown in the past he's not a RB that can handle the bulk of the carries. He's doing what he can. Have to get what they can from Pierce the rest of the way. Still 11 games left.

Overall, I agree that this seems real. I think there's enough room for improvement to expect more as the season moves along. I see the Texans being favored in 6 of their remaining games. 8-9 wins is very possible.

That doesn't help.

Is it that he's shown he can't handle it or has he just not been given the chance? The Bills were top 10 in rushing yards the last 2 seasons with him getting the bulk of the work, more than double the carries of any other Bills RB. Granted, they have Josh Allen too, but still.

Maybe Scruggs getting in there, who's supposed to be a better run blocker, makes a difference, but through 6 games Pierce just looks like he's trying to run through walls instead of holes, and 2.9 YPC just isn't going to get it done.

2.6 average is hard to get excited about.

I don't know if any team has been as dysfunctional as the Texans in recent years. Hell our record over the last 3 seasons is 11-38-1 which is the worst in the league. The way Ryans has this team playing he not only deserves COY but Houston should give him a damn parade.

Glad to see the TEs getting involved
Confused as to why Metchie wasn’t more involved.
run game showed signs of life
Cashman is a bright spot. With a cast on his wrist!
Glad Meco dialed up some blitzes
Stroud….👍🏼

Get rested up and healed. Beat the Panthers to go 4-3. Hate that the defense was soft in that loss to ATL.

And to keep in tune with lots of posts on this thread….
“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas!”
It’s the NFL, winning is hard 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back