Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 Post Game Thread: I told you so

I didn’t watch the game but going by the stats I’m concerned with Stroud completion percentage. Can any one tell me how he went today?

I’m stoked for the defense though

Texans wins 20-13.

Defense needed that spark after blowing a win last week.

Slow called some beautiful plays out there today. Most importantly he attacked the defense vertically. He must’ve read some of the comments on here because he used Singletary more in the running game. And it paid off.

In the second half Coach Cap brought the heat and brought it often. He too must have read this forum as well.

We can close that interception thread now, CJ threw one today. He still threw some beautiful passes out there. He even threw a touchdown with heavy pressure in his face. What!!!!

Love how Slow got Hutch and Brown involved.

Hey Nico said” hold my beer”! I’m a number one people. Lol

Schlutz was big time as well, even though he did have that one dropped Touchdown.

On one series Will was very disruptive and single-handedly forced a 3 and out.

Good solid win before the byweek.

Bring the celebration baby!!

3 observations from the game.

1. We played mostly penalty free ball Only 3 penalties for 29 yards.

2. Our special teams (especially the kickers) deserve a game ball.

3. I thought Stroud got a little rattled for a while but he came back like a pro. Paraphrasing what Schlereth (spelling?) said about Stroud while calling the game "Just his sixth game & he plays like it's his sixth year.

They need to give Devin the ball more. If nothing else, they should alternate possessions. Pierce is not disciplined enough in this scheme. If everyone believes in the scheme, then Texans should give Devin more carries and trade Pierce in the offseason. JMO
I still like Pierce as a runner, just got to find a way to get him to work. No need to force it now.

Singletary also is not a work horse/feature back. 1st half of the game I'd feed Singletary & Boone. Then have Pierce come in & clean up in the 2nd half. That's not to say exclusively Singletary/Boone in the first & Pierce in the 2nd half. But feed the one in the first & the 2nd in the other.

I didn’t watch the game but going by the stats I’m concerned with Stroud completion percentage. Can any one tell me how he went today?

I’m stoked for the defense though

Stroud played well enough to win. He made some nice throws but also missed on some. He did face a lot more pressure this week and took some sacks. New Orleans might be the best defense he's faced. I'd give Stroud a C. He played ok.

It seems like Slowick stops his own momentum. Stick to what works. Singletary and Boone were getting positive yards in the first half but he goes with Pierce for most of the second half and it seemed he struggled to get anything going.
Pierce and Singletary alternated every few snaps or so.

Stroud played well enough to win. He made some nice throws but also missed on some. He did face a lot more pressure this week and took some sacks. New Orleans might be the best defense he's faced. I'd give Stroud a C. He played ok.
I've got a very simple way to evaluate offense & defense. 21 points.

If you scored 21 points, your offense played well enough to win. If the defense holds the opponent under 21 points, they played well enough to win.

The defense was gifted 2 missed field goals (maybe three, I can't remember) but they got it done when the game was on the line. The offense didn't.

I'll take the win. Kudos to Stroud, Nico, Singletary. But defense (& special teams) won this game.

If you scored 21 points, your offense played well enough to win. If the defense holds the opponent under 21 points, they played well enough to win.

The defense was gifted 2 missed field goals (maybe three, I can't remember) but they got it done when the game was on the line. The offense didn't.

I'll take the win. Kudos to Stroud, Nico, Singletary. But defense (& special teams) won this game.
The Defense got lucky.
Had the Saints made their 2 FGs, the score would have been 19-20 near the end.
The Saints got to the Texans 24 and could have kicked another FG for the win.

The Saints shot themselves in the foot.

I still like Pierce as a runner, just got to find a way to get him to work. No need to force it now.

Singletary also is not a work horse/feature back. 1st half of the game I'd feed Singletary & Boone. Then have Pierce come in & clean up in the 2nd half. That's not to say exclusively Singletary/Boone in the first & Pierce in the 2nd half. But feed the one in the first & the 2nd in the other.
I dunno but Devin seems more explosive, quicker to and thru the hole than Pierce, what do you think about that - agree or not ?

Texans can get good in a hurry if they want to give CJ a real WR1. Why wait? Better weapons and they probably blow the Saints out today.

I am not as worried about the pass rush as most. Pressure is there. They just need to get the QB to the ground. That will come.

I dunno but Devin seems more explosive, quicker to and thru the hole than Pierce, what do you think about that - agree or not ?

Devin is more patient. Than once he chooses he is a whole lot quicker.

Feels like Pierce lost some of his wiggle he had last year. He used to be hard to tackle in a phone booth. Now, he just tries to fall forward over the top of a DB.

Fortunately the running game came to life and took pressure off of Stroud.

Not getting a TD on 1st and goal on the 1 was bad. Maybe they should put Hutchinson in the wildcat there and just move it forward for a yard.

I don't disagree. I believe it's due to Singletary's patience & vision.

That's why I'd start the game with a heavy dose of Singletary & Boone.

When he gets it right, Pierce gets through the hole pretty darned good. To me, it's more about consistency.

You do know you're free to post your opinion without quoting posts that have nothing to do with your opinion?

You're free to express your opinion. Anytime you want. You don't have to wait until you disagree with someone.
You said the Texans defense get it done.
I disagree.

Had the defense come up with one or two Ints that they should have had, then I would agree that they get it done.
Instead, they couldn't get off the field against another subpar offense.
I agree with you. This is not a top 10 defense. But keep in mind every field goal they tried was a result of a defense that didn't let them into the endzone. The Texans defense did not allow a score in the 4th qtr. The offense, the Texans offense didn't score in the 4th qtr. The Texans didn't really run any time off the clock either.

Offense didn't score. Opening the door for the Saints to score & possibly win the game. However, the Texans defense did not allow a score, they actually "forced" the Saints into some bad decisions.

I agree with you. This is not a top 10 defense. But keep in mind every field goal they tried was a result of a defense that didn't let them into the endzone. The Texans defense did not allow a score in the 4th qtr. The offense, the Texans offense didn't score in the 4th qtr. The Texans didn't really run any time off the clock either.

Offense didn't score. Opening the door for the Saints to score & possibly win the game. However, the Texans defense did not allow a score, they actually "forced" the Saints into some bad decisions.
Before this game, the Saints D ranked 5th in points allowed (15.2 average) and 4th in yards allowed.
For the Texans Offense to score 20 points, I'd say they played their part.

The Saints Offense ranked 22nd in points scored and 25th in yards allowed.
Without the 2 missed FG (and a possible third), the Texans wouldn't have held their end of the bargain.

Yes, they did rise up in the end, but if they had done their job in the first place, they wouldn't have had to.
In other words, they dodge some bullets.

Back