Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 Post Game Thread: I told you so

Stop... hold up.. Wait a minute

That's what I said.

All that other stuff, I agree. I mentioned the gifts of the missed field goals. So we don't even disagree. We're saying the same thing.
The problem is you were leaning toward the D more and made it sound like they bailed out the Offense.
That's the difference between you and I.

Before this game, the Saints D ranked 5th in points allowed (15.2 average) and 4th in yards allowed.
For the Texans Offense to score 20 points, I'd say they played their part.

The Saints Offense ranked 22nd in points scored and 25th in yards allowed.
Without the 2 missed FG (and a possible third), the Texans wouldn't have held their end of the bargain.

Yes, they did rise up in the end, but if they had done their job in the first place, they wouldn't have had to.
In other words, they dodge some bullets.
Look at what the Browns did to the 49'ers. Any given Sunday. Wins are hard to come by in the NFL.

The problem is you were leaning toward the D more and made it sound like they bailed out the Offense.
That's the difference between you and I.
Like I said, you can post your opinion anytime. You don't need to append it to your faulty interpretation of my opinion.

Conversation becomes about my opinion, or your opinion, & not the Texans.

Defense balled today, especially from the last drive before the half forward. Keeping in mind, the secondary is short handed, Derek got his between the 20’s but the D made multiple terrific stops. They also corralled Kamara very well for the most part. This D isn’t getting pounded on the ground like last year. It’s not a great D yet, but it’s certainly a massive improvement on recent seasons, and Ryans has them tackling better, setting the edge better…now it’s all about fine tuning.

In short, imo 76 gives this D short shrift. And if the offense had sustained anything in the 2nd half, they wouldn’t have needed to make those awesome stops late in the game. Defense played very well today. I’m pumped for the future. It’s all up from here.

Texans offense scored more than the Saints D have been allowing on average.

Texans D achieved the end result only because the Saints missed their FGs.

And don't forget, the Saints got to the Texans 24 yard line at the end there.
That's good how many points does getting to the 24 yard line get you? I'm not saying it's a good defense or anything these last couple weeks have been rough on the pass defense side of things especially. But ultimately they've given up 19 points per game which is 9th in the NFL. Points and takeaways win you games not yards.

That's good how many points does getting to the 24 yard line get you? I'm not saying it's a good defense or anything these last couple weeks have been rough on the pass defense side of things especially. But ultimately they've given up 19 points per game which is 9th in the NFL. Points and takeaways win you games not yards.
What I meant is that the Saints could have kicked the FG to win the game like the Falcons did.

But also, if the D can't get off the field, the less time the Offense would have.

Nelson could have brought in an Int or two instead of the Texans having to rely on their FG to miss a kick.

That's some fortunate event(s) that cannot be relied on to win a game.

What I meant is that the Saints could have kicked the FG to win the game like the Falcons did.

But also, if the D can't get off the field, the less time the Offense would have.
I mean maybe they would have but butterfly effect and all that. Hard to tell what the situation would have been had they made the 28 yarder. Also they would have been down by 4 instead of 7 so I'd be okay with them taking the field goal.

Pass rush needs to improve. We found something with the run game today splitting carries. Pass protection needs to tighten up. And please figure out goal line play calling! We left several points on the field.

Bye week comes at a great time. We can get healthy and address some of these issues. Overall I am pleased with the progress of the team.

Pass rush needs to improve. We found something with the run game today splitting carries. Pass protection needs to tighten up. And please figure out goal line play calling! We left several points on the field.

Bye week comes at a great time. We can get healthy and address some of these issues. Overall I am pleased with the progress of the team.
I really don't see the issue with the red zone calling that so many people are talking about. When you can't run the ball in the redzone it's always gonna be tough.

If anyone is unhappy with the state of the Texans, look at the Broncos and the Panthers.

Sure, we aren't likely competing in a Superbowl this season... but one thing is for sure. Not only has the fire been put out, but we are no longer residing in the dumpster.

We have undeniably improved while other teams dumpster fires seem to have just begun. In some cases... it could have been us if we took different players/coaches or both.

Also I hate the "well if" game. Sure if the Saints had hit that 52 yard and 32 yard field goal then the game looks different. If Schultz had caught the ball that goes through his hands in the endzone then we win a lot more comfortably. If CJ and the WR's had been on the same page on those 2 missed scramble drill plays then the win is much more comfortable.

That's football, teams miss opportunities. The difference in almost any close game is a couple of plays that get missed.

Last edited:
Also I hate the "well if" game. Sure if the Saints had hit that 52 yard and 32 yard field goal then the game looks different. If Schultz had caught the ball that goes through his hands in the endzone then we win a lot more comfortably. If CJ and the WR's had been on the same page on those 2 missed scramble drill pages then the win is much more comfortable.

That's football, teams miss opportunities. The difference in almost any close game is a couple of plays that get missed.
You can play the what if game last week too. We could be 4-2

You can play the what if game last week too. We could be 4-2
Yep, a couple of easy dropped passes and a couple of those scramble drill miscues probably some others that have slipped my memory.

But for a lot of people who like to err on the negative side of things the "what ifs" mostly seem to just go one way.

Texans offense scored more than the Saints D have been allowing on average.

Texans D achieved the end result only because the Saints missed their FGs.

The offensive yards/points ranking for the Saints opponents coming into today:

Titans - 26th/26th
Panthers - 23rd/23rd
Packers - 28th/13th
Bucs - 25th/25th
Patriots - 27th/31st

Not exactly a Murderer's Row of offenses there...

The Texans were 9th in yards and 14th in scoring coming into the game.

In other words, a better than average Texans offense scored more points than a bunch of bottom dweller offenses.

Titans - 26th/26th
Panthers - 23rd/23rd
Packers - 28th/13th
Bucs - 25th/25th
Patriots - 27th/31st

In other words, a better than average Texans offense scored more points than a bunch of bottom dweller offenses.
You have a way of putting things into perspective. Thanks.

You have a way of putting things into perspective. Thanks.

Part of the point I was trying to make was that the offense still only scored 20 points. So not like they hit 30 again like in their first two wins. The Saints defensive reputation was aided by playing a lot of bad teams so far this year.

It took the defense limiting the Saints to FG attempts and desperate throws at the end to win the game.

Part of the point I was trying to make was that the offense still only scored 20 points. So not like they hit 30 again like in their first two wins. The Saints defensive reputation was aided by playing a lot of bad teams so far this year.

It took the defense limiting the Saints to FG attempts and desperate throws at the end to win the game.
I agree. To add to the defensive woes… I’m loving what Cashman’s doing out there but let’s be honest… he isn’t supposed to be doing all that. He’s supposedly a JAG. Our superstars are supposed to be doing this and they aren’t finishing plays enough to shake opponents.

I've got a very simple way to evaluate offense & defense. 21 points.

If you scored 21 points, your offense played well enough to win. If the defense holds the opponent under 21 points, they played well enough to win.

The defense was gifted 2 missed field goals (maybe three, I can't remember) but they got it done when the game was on the line. The offense didn't.

I'll take the win. Kudos to Stroud, Nico, Singletary. But defense (& special teams) won this game.
The offense really missed Dell today.

I don't disagree. I believe it's due to Singletary's patience & vision.

That's why I'd start the game with a heavy dose of Singletary & Boone.

When he gets it right, Pierce gets through the hole pretty darned good. To me, it's more about consistency.
Some guys have the patience and vision to be successful in the ZBS, others dont have this ability.

I agree. To add to the defensive woes… I’m loving what Cashman’s doing out there but let’s be honest… he isn’t supposed to be doing all that. He’s supposedly a JAG. Our superstars are supposed to be doing this and they aren’t finishing plays enough to shake opponents.
I've always thought Cashman had the ability to be really good, just couldn't stay healthy.

Wait who are these so called "superstars" we have lol.

Winning a game not looking you're best is certainly something that hasn't happened around here in a while. 59 total yards in the 2nd half. Stroud completing 48.1% of his passes. And Pierce looks like a totally different guy than what he looked like last year. Nice to see them get to triple digits as a team, but Pierce staying below 3 YPC and getting as many touches as he does is almost Maldonado-ish. Singletary needs to start getting the bulk of the carries and Pierce and Boone can fight it out for the rest.

With Tank out I was surprised Metchie didn't see more action. Not a single target for him. Schultz with a TD in 3 straight games now. All it took was for me to drop him in my fantasy league 3 weeks ago.

The defense gave up 430 yards, and it helps the Saints missed 2 FGs, but they were still held to FGs and allowed just 1 TD.

Wasn't expecting 3-3 at the bye but I'll certainly take them exceeding my expectations all day every day.

Cant wait till our game after the bye....Dell will be back healthy and ready to roll, Scruggs should be back, Tunsil gets to rest and take care of that knee...and then the Oline can come back together in the CORRECT positions and get ready for the 2nd half of our season.

Im excited!

Don’t forget Howard, Perryman and Tavierre Thomas also getting healthy.

Maybe even Stingley gets healthy?! Ok… maybe i’m going too far with that one…

Titans - 26th/26th
Panthers - 23rd/23rd
Packers - 28th/13th
Bucs - 25th/25th
Patriots - 27th/31st

Buccs were 20nd, but your point is still valid.

All I was saying is that the Offense got there on their own.

The D got there with help from the Saints, not to mention the leg of Johnstone.

I was simply disagreeing with the view that the Texans won the game due to the play of the Defense.

I mean maybe they would have but butterfly effect and all that. Hard to tell what the situation would have been had they made the 28 yarder. Also they would have been down by 4 instead of 7 so I'd be okay with them taking the field goal.
As I had said, the Saints kicker has been good beyond 50 yards.

At any rate, the main point still was that the game wasn't won mainly because of the Defense.

It was really a team win, on three phases.

But some people said otherwise and so I disagreed.

Yep, a couple of easy dropped passes and a couple of those scramble drill miscues probably some others that have slipped my memory.

But for a lot of people who like to err on the negative side of things the "what ifs" mostly seem to just go one way.
There's a difference here.

Just because the Saints missed the FGs, you can't say that the Texans Defense was responsible for it.

On top.of it all, the defense was supposed to carry the team, at least for the first part of the schedule.

Most people here think that the D could be top ten or at least above average this year.

The Offense would be lucky to get to average; and that was before all the injuries.

For those that are criticizing DP and his attempts and yards vs DS and Boone and calling for him to get benched....I have a serious ? for yall.

What is the breakdown of run attempts for each back to the Left, Up the middle, and to the Right??

Watching the game I recall most if not all of DS's and Boones runs were behind Tunsil and Howard and for some reason Slowik likes to run DP behind Fant or some failing block of TE over the right side or straight up the middle when the box is stacked.

Really want to know if its just me or if my eyes and memory are failing me....b/c if thats the case then the comparison is apples to oranges and the hate is just that...hater trying to hate.

the game wasn't won mainly because of the Defense.
But nobody said the game was won "mainly" because of the Defense. That's something you read into it.

Last week the Defense couldn't hold up for 50 some odd seconds. This week they held for a qtr. Lot's of help from the Saints, none from our offense in the 4th Qtr.

The offense got a lead. The Defense held on to it. Nobody said anything about "mainly"

I've got a very simple way to evaluate offense & defense. 21 points.

If you scored 21 points, your offense played well enough to win. If the defense holds the opponent under 21 points, they played well enough to win.

The defense was gifted 2 missed field goals (maybe three, I can't remember) but they got it done when the game was on the line. The offense didn't.

I'll take the win. Kudos to Stroud, Nico, Singletary. But defense (& special teams) won this game.
You said defense and ST won this game.

Back