Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 @ Indy

Dude's going to die on this hill trying to be right!

To bring it back to the Indy game, I honestly believe there was now tape on Mills combined with Kelly channeling OB and all of the personnel/talent challenges. All of this manifested itself even more in the Arizona game. It is time for the young man to learn by watching for a bit, but I still think his potential is higher
You must be talking about yourself. :brando:

I mean, in his 6 seasons in Miami he had 3 head coaches and only one winning season (ironically the one where he hurt his knee with three games left and sat out all the next year). In seasons 2-4 he threw for 4k yards and at least 24 TD's each season with head coaches that are now the Oline Coach for the Cowboys and the Head Coach of the hapless Lions. He already proved he could play before going to the Titans in 2019.

BTW, in 2016 and 2018 while Mariota was still the starter, the Titans had the #3 and #6 ranked rushing offense. So just because Henry hadn't hit his breakout moment yet doesn't mean that Mariota didn't have the support of a running game.
You forgot that we were talking primarily about how Mariota was already a bona fide starter as a rookie.

I had pulled up an article on how he compared with all the rookies a few years within his time.

In comparison to the rest of the league in 2015, his TD % was 14th, his AYA (air yard per Attempt) was 11th, his completion yard per game was 25th (but only 4 Yards fewer than Rodgers, and higher than Manning, Smith, and Tyrod), his rating was 17th, his QBR was higher than Manning and Tannerhill.

All that despite an offensive line that ranked 29th (terrible both in pass pro and run blocking.

And do you know why you thought you saw the Titans as having a good run game in 2016 and 2018?
That was because you included Mariota's rushing stats in there.

That running ability of his is something other guys may not have even though their passing stats might be higher.

Sure, he might be ranked 22nd by NFL, but as a rookie and playing with that Oline, can there be any doubt that he already proved that he was a bonafide starting QB (even with a coaching change mid-season).

You forgot that we were talking primarily about how Mariota was already a bona fide starter as a rookie.
When did this become the primary topic? I thought we were arguing he didn't translate to a bonafide starter.

That's why I asked you to list the QBs that played like Mariota that had successful careers.

Playing the way he did as a rookie was going to get him hurt. IMO, that's why you can't use injuries as an excuse. QBs contributing as much as he did to the teams run game won't last long in the NFL.

Mariota's main problem was injuries.
He showed right away in his rookie season that he's an NFL starter.

19 TDs vs 10 INTs.
The Titans D ranked 27th in points allowed.
The starting RB that got the majority of the carries was a no-name UDFA averaging 3.6 ypc.

The Titans won 3 games with Mariota; and none without him.

Don't forget that in his last season with the Titans, his TD/INT ratio was 7/2
@thunderkyss

Dude, this was where it started, when I responded to one of your posts.

& this is the post you responded to

He never adjusted to the NFL. He just got himself hurt.
Also, did you even study Mariota's injury history.

His first one:

They were dirty hits on pass plays where there was nothing Mariota can do to protect himself.

You said it like he was playing recklessly.

Please do some research before you post, otherwise it makes no sense to even have an argument.

& this is the post you responded to

He never adjusted to the NFL. He just got himself hurt.
Here's his second injury.

You also get to see the porous offensive line on the stripped fumble.

Then comes the play when the injury occured.
Mariota protected himself and the ball quickly as he took the sack. He didn't play recklessly.

Mariota's fourth injury:
He pulled a hamstring after a TD run vs Texans in 2017 and miss the next game (the only game he missed that season).

Who gives a flying f*** about Mariota? Why is he even being talked about. He was a 1st round QB that sucked.

It's 76's MO. He gets on something that he needs to prove right because someone challenged/disagreed with him and will not get off it until you just give up and move on. I personally need to get better about not taking the bait.

It's 76's MO. He gets on something that he needs to prove right because someone challenged/disagreed with him and will not get off it until you just give up and move on. I personally need to get better about not taking the bait.
I didn't bring up Mariota.
Somebody else did, and I responded and you jumped in and I responded.

That's normally how it goes.

Who gives a flying f*** about Mariota? Why is he even being talked about. He was a 1st round QB that sucked.
See, it's post(s) like this.

It's postings that spew opinion(s) as truth that loses credibility to those who really love and respect the game.

Of course when you have an argument, you have to bring your best food forward.
I find it funny that some who were on the losing end of the argument often resort to attacking my insistence as if it helps with his/their argument.

I still think Mariota played a style of football that hasn't transferred to the NFL.

I don't believe Mariota translated to the NFL. As many questioned when he was drafted.

I don't believe Mariota was injured when he was benched for Tannehill.

I don't think Henry all of a sudden got into shape when Mariota was benched. I believe that was the difference between a QB knowing how to get from a bad run play to a good run play.

& this conversation started in this thread because steelbtexan Texans said the future looks bright because Mills appears to have talent. That concept was over your head so I pointed to Mariota. So in reality it doesn't matter why he isn't considered a starting QB in the league.

The future was bright when they drafted him, not so much when they benched him. Well, Tannehill made their future bright.

When did this become the primary topic? I thought we were arguing he didn't translate to a bonafide starter.

That's why I asked you to list the QBs that played like Mariota that had successful careers.

Playing the way he did as a rookie was going to get him hurt. IMO, that's why you can't use injuries as an excus

Playing the way he did as a rookie was going to get him hurt. IMO, that's why you can't use injuries as an excuse. QBs contributing as much as he did to the teams run game won't last long in the NFL.
Now, I had rebuked your claim that Mariota's style of play in his rookie season was what get him hurt, I'll get to the bonafide QBing part.

In several posts, I had shown how his rookie season compared very well with the rest of the league in that particular year; ie., he was already a bonda fide starting QB as a rookie.

Now comes the 2016 season:

Between 9th and 13th on several key metrics:

13th

14th

19th

That wasn't a top ten QB, but at least an above average QB in the league as a 2nd year player, playing with a new OC.

I find it funny that some who were on the losing end of the argument often resort to attacking my insistence as if it helps with his/their argument
It's frustrating because you move the goal post. Every time we prove our point you bring up something else. Mariota sucks. He's the backup in Oakland because the team that drafted him thought he sucked.

But you have to prove you're right with obscure stats that don't mean anything. They cut him & none of the QB needy teams thought he should be starting for their squad.

The point, the reason Mariota was brought up in this thread, there was a time when Tennessee was excited they drafted Mariota. Latter there was a time when they were excited he was not a Titan.

13th

Again, that's an above average NFL stater.

This was an injury-filled season for Mariota that was finally too much.
Still, he managed to come in at 17th.

I still think Mariota played a style of football that hasn't transferred to the NFL.

I don't believe Mariota translated to the NFL. As many questioned when he was drafted.

I don't believe Mariota was injured when he was benched for Tannehill.

I don't think Henry all of a sudden got into shape when Mariota was benched. I believe that was the difference between a QB knowing how to get from a bad run play to a good run play.

& this conversation started in this thread because steelbtexan Texans said the future looks bright because Mills appears to have talent. That concept was over your head so I pointed to Mariota. So in reality it doesn't matter why he isn't considered a starting QB in the league.

The future was bright when they drafted him, not so much when they benched him. Well, Tannehill made their future bright.
What style did he play that doesn't transfer to the NFL?

He had 3 consecutive winning seasons after his rookie season.

It was the myriad of injuries (especially in 2018) that derailed his career.

Fools gold. He sucked. They benched him. They cut him.
We already went through this.
By then, the injuries had taken too much toll on his body.

Also, both QBs came into the season with a new HC and a new OC.

Tannerhill got the advantage because he was in the WCO through college and also in Miami.

It was the first year for Mariota in that system.
He already has an extensive injury history by then.

They don't want to pay him a second contract.
Because of his draft status, that contract should/could be quite high.

Another instance of losing an argument and resorting to Fallacy as an argument.
The argument, if you go back to the beginning is that a poster believes the future looks bright with Mills. That doesn't mean Mills will be a long time starter in the NFL. There are several QBs many people thought would be long time starters when they got that QB, but that QB failed to develop into a long time starter & Tennessee drafted many of them.

The argument, if you go back to the beginning is that a poster believes the future looks bright with Mills. That doesn't mean Mills will be a long time starter in the NFL. There are several QBs many people thought would be long time starters when they got that QB, but that QB failed to develop into a long time starter & Tennessee drafted many of them.
Mariota was a long-time starter for the Titans, with 3 winning seasons.

Like I said, it was a combination of injuries, changes of coaches/scheme and money that ended his tenure with the Titans, not talent.

I did not (as in never) disagree that there could be circumstances that prevent a player (QB) from reaching the top of their game .

Last edited:
Are you illiterate? Did you miss the part that said "IN MY OPINION"?
I know; I was just telling you how I read it the first time.
Post 614.

Also, what's with the need to attack the poster with "are you illiterate".

That's called Ad Hominem

He’s a backup QB in a league starving for starting QBs.

In other news, Mariota is not a Texan, which this forum is supposed to be about, and he didn’t play in the Indy-Texans game, which this thread is supposed to be about, that happened 2 weeks ago. STFU about Marcus freaking Mariota already.

He’s a backup QB in a league starving for starting QBs.

In other news, Mariota is not a Texan, which this forum is supposed to be about, and he didn’t play in the Indy-Texans game, which this thread is supposed to be about, that happened 2 weeks ago. STFU about Marcus freaking Mariota already.
Read post 619 and 633 by Thunderkyss.
He explained why the talk about Mariota is here.

It could have been Sam Bradford or some other QB.

I'm done talking about the backup QB in Oakland who sucks

Aw come on TK, nothing is ever really settled around here. If the earth were invaded by aliens and the only two humans to survive were posters on this board, they'd still be arguing over all this horseshit. In fact, if the only two survivors of an alien invasion were posters on this board, one would kill the other just to have the last word.

And I didn't know Oakland had a team. :evilb:

Mariota was a long-time starter for the Titans, with 3 winning seasons.

Like I said, it was a combination of injuries, changes of coaches/scheme and money that ended his tenure with the Titans, not talent.

I did not (as in never) disagree that there could be circumstances that prevent a player (QB) from reaching the top of their game .

You don't actually watch football games do you? It's highlight reels and stat's for you methinks

Back