Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 @ Indy

Number19

Hall of Fame
How should I interpret his saying "the future is bright"
and "NC may have found his QB"?

Should I take it to mean that he (steelb) had seen enough to think that Mills has all that, enough to be a franchise QB?
Not "Mills has all that". Interpret it as "Mills may have all that". It's called being optimistic, or seeing the glass as being half full. Being optimistic doesn't negate the need for further evaluation or even the possibility of changing ones mind.

The Texans have too many needs to fill not to be optimistic or hopeful that the decision on qb can be postponed until 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'd rather hear it straight from the horse mouth.

If the guy has the ability to be better than Schaub then what could stop him?

Schaub didn't have great HCs, per steelb, (Kubiak was mediocre).
Mora had a losing record and lasted just 4 years as HC.

The ability to play through injuries is part of what makes a franchise QB (Manning's broken collar bone; Montana's countless concussions; Andrew Luck's taking his beatings; Big Ben played with guys draping around him similarly, and so on).
A guy needs to know how to protect himself; nobody is shedding a tear for even the little guys like Wilson or Brees when they get hurt.

So I'm not sure what steelb really meant to say .
Kubiak was one of the best QB coaches who has ever lived. He learned under the best. Walsh. Yes, he was a mediocre HC, too conservative. Just like BOB in this regard.

Where did I mention anything about injuries? Yes I want to see him play so we can see if he can improve with much needed experience. Winning and losing is secondary to seeing if Mills is the future. Regardless of what you think you dont know how Mills career will turn out.

Since you didn't give me last Wednesday's lotto numbers and I've gotta get up and go to work tomorrow I will let you have the floor.

If you care to share next weeks winning lotto numbers please PM me by next Wednesday at 9:45 pm.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not "Mills has all that". Interpret it as "Mills may have all that". It's called being optimistic, or seeing the glass as being half full. Being optimistic doesn't negate the need for further evaluation or even the possibility of changing ones mind.

The Texans have too many needs to fill not to be optimistic or hopeful that the decision on qb can be postponed until 2023.
Spot on

Unfortunately you're wasting your time.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Kubiak was one of the best QB coaches who has ever lived. He learned under the best. Walsh. Yes, he was a mediocre HC, too conservative. Just like BOB in this regard.

Where did I mention anything about injuries? Yes I want to see him play so we can see if he can improve with much needed experience. Winning and losing is secondary to seeing if Mills is the future. Regardless of what you think you dont know how Mills career will turn out.

Since you didn't give me last Wednesday's lotto numbers and I've gotta get up and go to work tomorrow I will let you have the floor.

If you care to share next weeks winning lotto numbers please PM me by next Wednesday at 9:45 pm.
Well, I'm glad I pressed on.
Otherwise, we wouldn't know your stand.

If Mills ends up with a better career than Schaub, you'll say "I told you so"; otherwise, you'll just say "too bad he doesn't reach his potential", right?

You're not willing to make a straight call even after you've seen him play in a number of games.

Might as well wait until the lottery results come out then you can have it straight instead of waiting for me. :brando:

What if Taylor comes back next game and Mills never gets the chance to play again this year?

Not just steelb, but number19 and vtech and dejavu, etc.
What are you guys going to do?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I think some people ride Mills so hard because they don't like the decisions that Culley and Caserio made that led to Mills being put in a position to have to play.
I think people ride him hard because of those who think he's playing well and improving, and make all the excuses for what's going on around him. The run game sucks, the o-line sucks, he's doing better than the other rookies, blah, blah, blah. Then that nonsense has to be countered with reality and that is taken to be riding him hard.

The reality is this offense is 31st in points, 32nd in 1st downs, have scored 8.5 points per game the last 4 games, been outscored 120-34 in those 4 games, and been outscored 71-3 in their last 2 road games. I don't care who the f'ing QB is, that's pathetic. It just so happens that it's Mills who is the QB. Mills, who is 25th in completion percentage, 26th in Y/A, 30th in passer rating, 30th in QB Rating, has 0 TD and 6 INT in 2 road starts with a 41.3 passer rating on the road. You see that, then guys come here with the BS of saying they're seeing improvement, the offense this and that, Kelly, OL, tough defenses wah, wah, blah, blah, blah.

Can he improve? Maybe. Is it too early to judge him? Of course. Is there a lot around him that could stand improvement? Absolutely. But right now he looks like **** along with the rest of it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Remember when the Titans drafted Mariotta? There future was bright.

Mariotta had the talent, but couldn’t adjust to the NFL, or his HC couldn’t help him figure it out. It happens.
Yep….I was actually happy that Mariota was picked by the Titans versus the Texans. On the flip side…..I was actually posting about how the Texans could move Watson/Hopkins (contract situations) to gain enough draft capital to draft Justin Herbert. But, upon further thought….OB would’ve seriously ducked that up as well even if the trades worked out and Herbert was photographed with Goodell holding a Texans jersey.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
What if Taylor comes back next game and Mills never gets the chance to play again this year?

Speaking just for myself, I'm not negative, or complaining, about things over which I have no control. I pretty much roll with the dice. As for Mills, and next April's draft, my position is that we need a third qb, so I'd draft one 5th round or later. I'd fill other needs with rounds 1 through 4. I'd then sign a veteran to be #2 and go into the off season with Mills penciled in as #1. Mills would have the 2022 season to prove he's the future, or I'd be looking to the 2023 draft.

I like what I see so far in Mills. But I want to see him when he has better support around him.. You previously wrote, "If (Mills) has the ability to be...". I prefer the word "potential", as in, I see in Mills the potential to be our qb. But I'd have him on a short leash. We are in a rebuilding mode so waiting one more year to see how he develops is not too much.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I remember Watson had a bad oline bad play calling bad running game but consistently competed and was a top QB in almost all measurable ways. Yet some didn’t like him. Interesting.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
So you're saying that Mills is going to be better than Schaub?

In Schaub's first 4 games, spreading over 3 years, Schaub threw for 8 TDs vs 5 INTs.
In NO spot in @steepost did he say he was or was not going to be better or worse than anyone. You are solely on the viewpoint that Mills isn't any good. While he has had a 4 INT game he has also had a 300+ yard game with NO INTs or turn overs at all. Your posting to try to get someone to say he is the next great QB. And then take it and run with it. Seeing it is a 3rd round pick who is showing upside as well as rookie mistakes I don't think it is going to happen. We are all waiting to see what happens. Plus, minus the rookie mistake filled Bills game...he has played higher than his draft spot over the last few games

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
4 starts is simply not enough data points to develop the trend needed for proper analysis. Improvement is never linear.
Your right, more like highs and lows (Patriots, Bills). And then you have to factor into that the supporting cast. Plus, when the HC says that he didn't have the team ready to play...bad omen

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Remember when the Titans drafted Mariotta? Their future was bright.

Mariotta had the talent, but couldn’t adjust to the NFL, or his HC couldn’t help him figure it out. It happens.
Mariota's main problem was injuries.
He showed right away in his rookie season that he's an NFL starter.

19 TDs vs 10 INTs.
The Titans D ranked 27th in points allowed.
The starting RB that got the majority of the carries was a no-name UDFA averaging 3.6 ypc.

The Titans won 3 games with Mariota; and none without him.

Don't forget that in his last season with the Titans, his TD/INT ratio was 7/2

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Mariota's main problem was injuries.
He showed right away in his rookie season that he's an NFL starter.

19 TDs vs 10 INTs.
The Titans D ranked 27th in points allowed.
The starting RB that got the majority of the carries was a no-name UDFA averaging 3.6 ypc.

The Titans won 3 games with Mariota; and none without him.

Don't forget that in his last season with the Titans, his TD/INT ratio was 7/2
So his rookie year where he showed to you right away that he is an NFL starter:
11 starts going 3-8 (got a win against a bad Bucs team Game 1, then went 2-8)
Average points in 3 wins: 39
Average points in 8 loses: 15
Passes for more than 250 yards in only 5 of those 11 games
TD/INT ratio in 3 wins: 11-1
TD/INT ratio in 8 losses: 8-9
QBR in 3 wins: 82.9, 90.9, 95.6
QBR in 8 loses: 4.3, 10.1, 28.5, 30.6, 31.2, 51.7, 58.1, 63.3
Record of opposing teams in wins: .375
Record of opposing teams in losses: .484 (including a 15-1 Panthers team, otherwise .419)

In summary: gaudy stats against a few bad teams, struggled against average to below average teams

But you knew before this season started that Mills would never be an NFL top ten QB...
200.gif

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Record of opposing teams in losses: .484 (including a 15-1 Panthers team, otherwise .419)

In summary: gaudy stats against a few bad teams, struggled against average to below average teams

But you knew before this season started that Mills would never be an NFL top ten QB...
View attachment 9252
Did you even watch him play or is it your turn to try to massage the stats now?

Don't do something you tell others not to do.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

View attachment 9252
At least read this:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree with you, Texans would win more games & Mills would look like a better QB with Derrick Henry on our side.
That's a possibility, but only if Henry gets into shape, which he wasn't in the beginning of the season.

As he was, the Texans would have been more or less the same; maybe a tad better, but not enough anyway.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree with you, Texans would win more games & Mills would look like a better QB with Derrick Henry on our side.
Also, did you realize that Henry was nearing bust status entering that 2019 season?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also, did you realize that Henry was nearing bust status entering that 2019 season?

So what are you saying, Mariotta couldn’t get out of a bad run play into a better run play? Or that Tannehill became Henry’s work out buddy when he became the starter?

Either way, you’re saying Mariotta was a bust because Henry was out of shape. Does that mean Mills deserves some slack because the Texans can’t run the ball?

Also, don't you think most people on this MB would have clamored for a similar QB like Mariota if there's one in the next draft?
I wanted Mariotta. I think Kubiak would have made him a star. But he’s not the kind of guy BO’b would have wanted.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Did you even watch him play or is it your turn to try to massage the stats now?

Don't do something you tell others not to do.
Yes, I watched him play. What stats did I include or exclude that were massaged? Did his three wins come against teams with poor records? Did only 2 of his 8 losses come against teams with winning records? Did he not have significantly different TD/INT ratios and QBRs in wins (against bad teams) versus losses (against bad teams)? I'm not saying he was Davis Mills, but seriously unless you are going to list all the intangibles that he possessed that did not result in wins or stats, I have no idea why you were so cocksure that he was a starting NFL QB. He was benched 6 games into his 5th year and the only gig he can in a league suffering from poor QB play is a backup in Las Vegas. Look at his stats for four years as a starter. There are a dozen journeymen that can and have put up those type of stats. He has a losing record as a starting QB. There is a reason the Titans traded for and extended Tannehill.

You keep mentioning the bad defense and Henry not being in shape, yadda yadda yadda. You keep making excuses for him while telling others not to do the same with Mills. So right back at ya with the whole don't do something you tell others not to do.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes, I watched him play. What stats did I include or exclude that were massaged? Did his three wins come against teams with poor records? Did only 2 of his 8 losses come against teams with winning records? Did he not have significantly different TD/INT ratios and QBRs in wins (against bad teams) versus losses (against bad teams)? I'm not saying he was Davis Mills, but seriously unless you are going to list all the intangibles that he possessed that did not result in wins or stats, I have no idea why you were so cocksure that he was a starting NFL QB. He was benched 6 games into his 5th year and the only gig he can in a league suffering from poor QB play is a backup in Las Vegas. Look at his stats for four years as a starter. There are a dozen journeymen that can and have put up those type of stats. He has a losing record as a starting QB. There is a reason the Titans traded for and extended Tannehill.

You keep mentioning the bad defense and Henry not being in shape, yadda yadda yadda. You keep making excuses for him while telling others not to do the same with Mills. So right back at ya with the whole don't do something you tell others not to do.
Since my other post got deleted I will try this again

Some posters (Not you) cant see the forest for the trees.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
So what are you saying, Mariotta couldn’t get out of a bad run play into a better run play? Or that Tannehill became Henry’s work out buddy when he became the starter?

Either way, you’re saying Mariotta was a bust because Henry was out of shape. Does that mean Mills deserves some slack because the Texans can’t run the ball?

I wanted Mariotta. I think Kubiak would have made him a star. But he’s not the kind of guy BO’b would have wanted.
No, I said Mariota's main problem was his injuries.
By that time, he's no longer the same guy.
Either you already knew this but like to play around, or you might want to check things out before making certain statements.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

If you had watched him play his rookie season, you would have known that Whisenhunt was fired after 7 games, and that there was no Derrick Henry in Tennessee that year.
They didn't have a no. 1 WR either.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

The stats you forgot to mention is that despite a bad defense similar to the Texans', the Titans still won 3 games, lost 4 games by 3 or fewer and another 2 games by 6.
All that with a HC changes after7 games.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No, I said Mariota's main problem was his injuries.
By that time, he's no longer the same guy.
Either you already knew this but like to play around, or you might want to check things out before making certain statements.
Dude…
Were they winning?

Compare the first 6 games with the rest of the season.
I’m sure it makes sense in your mind. I asked if they were winning when Mariotta had a 7-2 TD/INT ratio. You answered by telling me Derrick Henry was fat.

Now you want to go back to Mariotta’s injuries. Ok. Was he injured when he got benched?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Hey, the front 7 played well. Sadly for them if you are on the field 70% of the time. You tend to get tired into the late 3rd early 4th quarter.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Dude…

I’m sure it makes sense in your mind. I asked if they were winning when Mariotta had a 7-2 TD/INT ratio. You answered by telling me Derrick Henry was fat.

Now you want to go back to Mariotta’s injuries. Ok. Was he injured when he got benched?
No, I had already stated (long ago) the fact that it was Mariota's injuries through the years that prevent him from becoming an even better QB.

The Derrick Henry thing was just an additional thing as to why the Titans didn't win as many games early in the 2019 season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Dude…

Actually I had arguments with steelb before regarding Mariota vs. Tannehill .

The Mariota's situation is very complex.

He went through 2 different HCs and 2 different OCs in his 3 years at Oregon, running the spread offense.

He went through 3 HCs and 4 OCs at Tennessee.

His HC was fired after 7 games during Mariota's rookie season.
The Titans were a 2-14 team the season prior.
The Titans were running the EP system.

When Vrabel came in, the Titans switched to the WCO.

And we're not talking about personnel in details quite yet.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Next:
1. No, I never did say that people shouldn't use stats or bring up circumstances.
I said that you were the ones who said people shouldn't do that, that, that... so you should go by your own rule.

2. How do you conveniently left out his 3 winning seasons?

3. Show me the dozens of journeymen that had put up the same type of stats Mariota did in their first 5 years.

vtech9

All Pro

Same thing I'd do if Mills played. Watch the games, and evaluate all of the players and coaches to see if anyone is worth keeping. I don't know what your deal is, but I didn't really want Mills to play this year anyway. I think he needs to sit and learn. I don't like rookie QBs starting. I think all rookie QBs should sit and learn for at least a year. Since Mills has been forced to play because of TTs injury, I will give my opinion on him. He has shown me enough to say that he has the POTENTIAL to be a good QB. He isn't there yet.

Tim Kelly has shown me enough to say that he doesn't have a clue on how to come up with a winning offensive game plan, and doesn't know how to adjust his playcalling when things aren't working. Personally, if I were DC or NC, I would be having the conversation with the other about firing TK, and elevating either Pep or one of the other assistants to OC.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Actually I had arguments with steelb before regarding Mariota vs. Tannehill .

The Mariota's situation is very complex.

He went through 2 different HCs and 2 different OCs in his 3 years at Oregon, running the spread offense.

He went through 3 HCs and 4 OCs at Tennessee.

His HC was fired after 7 games during Mariota's rookie season.
The Titans were a 2-14 team the season prior.
The Titans were running the EP system.

When Vrabel came in, the Titans switched to the WCO.

And we're not talking about personnel in details quite yet.
You're right Tannehill had a much easier path.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Show me the dozens of journeymen that had put up the same type of stats Mariota did in their first 5 years.
Show me the dozen franchise QBs that played like Mariota did his 1st five years that's still starting in the NFL

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

I’d rather have Taylor come in and throw the ball to Nico downfield, on an important 3rd down, and see if we have a rookie WR who can develop into a #1 or 1b across from Cooks to actually build an offense around.

Its easy to forget that Tyrod looked to be playing pretty good football, the scheme suits him, he isn’t playing with pressure so he’s taking what’s there etc.

You also need to take a look back at the game and see that for all the praise Mills got in his first couple of starts for keeping his head up, and not stopping looking to throw it downfield, this guy just got 135 yards on 32 passing attempts this last week. The turtle is in the shell.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, I'm glad I pressed on.
Otherwise, we wouldn't know your stand.

If Mills ends up with a better career than Schaub, you'll say "I told you so"; otherwise, you'll just say "too bad he doesn't reach his potential", right?

You're not willing to make a straight call even after you've seen him play in a number of games.

Might as well wait until the lottery results come out then you can have it straight instead of waiting for me. :brando:

I'm sorry that I can't make a judgement after seeing Mills play so little. He looks like every other rookie. Plays well at home and bad on the road. Unfortunately playing behind this ol nobody can tell how his career will turn out. He's looked as good as the rest of the rookie QB's.

BTW, to answer your question, I will hangout with friends and laugh/ have a good time and watch the games like I always do.

What will you be doing? Crunching a bunch of skewed numbers while trying to prove some hair brained thought?

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Show me the dozen franchise QBs that played like Mariota did his 1st five years that's still starting in the NFL
Dude's going to die on this hill trying to be right!

To bring it back to the Indy game, I honestly believe there was now tape on Mills combined with Kelly channeling OB and all of the personnel/talent challenges. All of this manifested itself even more in the Arizona game. It is time for the young man to learn by watching for a bit, but I still think his potential is higher than his draft placement.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
You're right Tannehill had a much easier path.
I mean, in his 6 seasons in Miami he had 3 head coaches and only one winning season (ironically the one where he hurt his knee with three games left and sat out all the next year). In seasons 2-4 he threw for 4k yards and at least 24 TD's each season with head coaches that are now the Oline Coach for the Cowboys and the Head Coach of the hapless Lions. He already proved he could play before going to the Titans in 2019.

BTW, in 2016 and 2018 while Mariota was still the starter, the Titans had the #3 and #6 ranked rushing offense. So just because Henry hadn't hit his breakout moment yet doesn't mean that Mariota didn't have the support of a running game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
To bring it back to the Indy game, I honestly believe there was now tape on Mills combined with Kelly channeling OB
Conventional wisdom says to start him with some easy throws, get him in a rhythm then open it up. I can’t imagine our drives averaging more than 7-8 plays the last couple of games, so I can’t see him getting into a rhythm. & I think Culley’s approach to penalties & negative plays aren’t helping.

But yeah if the offense can’t put together drives, he needs to sit. Reset & get ready for the next time Tyrod is out.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Conventional wisdom says to start him with some easy throws, get him in a rhythm then open it up. I can’t imagine our drives averaging more than 7-8 plays the last couple of games, so I can’t see him getting into a rhythm. & I think Culley’s approach to penalties & negative plays aren’t helping.

But yeah if the offense can’t put together drives, he needs to sit. Reset & get ready for the next time Tyrod is out.
With an extra game this season he has a 6.25% greater chance of getting hurt again...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry that I can't make a judgement after seeing Mills play so little. He looks like every other rookie. Plays well at home and bad on the road. Unfortunately playing behind this ol nobody can tell how his career will turn out. He's looked as good as the rest of the rookie QB's.

BTW, to answer your question, I will hangout with friends and laugh/ have a good time and watch the games like I always do.

What will you be doing? Crunching a bunch of skewed numbers while trying to prove some hair brained thought?
Never mind