Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5 Texans vs Jaguars

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
100% I'm with steebtexan that if the draft was tomorrow, I'm investing heavily on the defensive front 7, and especially pass rushing edge DE and OLB. The latter assumes that John Greenard doesn't take a step forward, as he hasn't this year. DT needed also, although I feel this is less of an immediate concern. The lack of pass rush is troubling on this team, and Hughs isn't going to last much longer. The fact that Lawrence crapped the bed with a mostly clean pocket all game is a testament to the secondary, which has made the biggest leap this year. Imagine the front 7 could actually pressure the QB with any consistency??
I'm thinking that if you added difference makers like Anderson/Ika, it would make Greenard/Hinish/Lopez and if healthy Collins better players. Hopefully Harris comes back and is the player I think he can be, along with continued development of Wallow. I believe Caserio should spend big money on difference making MLB to become the QB of the defense. Do these 3 things and I believe that the defense can be a top 10 defense next yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because it’s a good chance one of them won’t be here next season. So you have to be prepared. Not only that you have to groom another LT for Tunsil possible departure in two years.
Tunsil/Howard are both signed on for next yr. One of them will be re-signed to a long term deal. I'm guessing Tunsil since he's a top 5 LT. Howard is way overpaid at 15 mil per season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe one of the WRs at 6 (there's 2 or 3 that should go top 10) and Sewell at 13.
I'd like to get a high-motor LB and a WR early. Then DE, RB, CB and OL as they fall in line the rest of the way. However the "board" is stacked now, it'll be totally different by April '23.
I'm in the sign a vet LB in FA and if picking #6 drafting the best TE in the draft. (I would look at trading down if possible. Then picking Ika to help with stop the run game. If not pick Johnston from TCU. that guys a stud who's best football is ahead of him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought you said Howard was a bust and needed to go?
He does, and I would let him go after this season and use that 15 mil plus more to sign Roquan Smith. I would go with Heck (Who's been a disappointment, Deculus, Draft a guy like Connor Galvin to hold down the RT position. I was just responding to the they need bookend OT's in a couple of yrs. They're going to pay one of their guys, so they really will only need one OT.

BTW, I know Neal hasn't set the world on fire, but he's been much more solid than given credit for. Thomas/Neal/Feliciano are a big reason Barkley is having a great yr. Although you would never know it reading some posters here. NYG 4-1. Coaching matters and the NYG's have been winning the close games with Danny Dimes, who while avg has come up clutch this yr.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why do you think they will need bookend OT's? Tunsil and and Howard are still young guys.
I’m not sold on the performances of either tackle this season. With that in mind, I also know the Texans can’t fix the entire OL in one draft either. I know that getting 3 pieces would be unlikely in the next draft, but depending on where that first pick lies in the draft and who’s still on the board…..it could have enough value to add a couple of early round picks.

I’d like to start from the inside out. I want C- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas and OL- Darnell Wright, Tennessee in 2023. Wright has played OT and has the talent to move inside to start with while the team watches how the tackles fair in 2023. I could also justify a late pick on OG- Cody Mauch, North Dakota State who I think might surprise once on an NFL field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not sold on the performances of either tackle this season. With that in mind, I also know the Texans can’t fix the entire OL in one draft either. I know that getting 3 pieces would be unlikely in the next draft, but depending on where that first pick lies in the draft and who’s still on the board…..it could have enough value to add a couple of early round picks.

I’d like to start from the inside out. I want C- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas and OL- Darnell Wright, Tennessee in 2023. Wright has played OT and has the talent to move inside to start with while the watches how the tackles fair in 2023. I could also justify a late pick on OG- Cody Mauch, North Dakota State who I think might surprise once on an NFL field.
For the 1st 3 weeks of the season Tunsil was rated as the #2 OT in the NFL. I dont know how he did yesterday, but I didn't see him making any glaring mistakes.

Connor Galvin is my guy that I like in the 4th rd. I would spend a 3rd on Van Prann from Georgia or Stromberg. If given the chance to get a difference maker like Achane in the 3rd or Stromberg, I would draft Achane and stick with Q at C one more yr. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
For the 1st 3 weeks of the season Tunsil was rated as the #2 OT in the NFL. I dont know how he did yesterday, but I didn't see him making any glaring mistakes.

Connor Galvin is my guy that I like in the 4th rd. I would spend a 3rd on Van Prann from Georgia or Stromberg. If given the chance to get a difference maker like Achane in the 3rd or Stromberg, I would draft Achane and stick with Q at C one more yr. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Q is not the long term answer and really isn’t the short term answer either.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Tunsil/Howard are both signed on for next yr. One of them will be re-signed to a long term deal. I'm guessing Tunsil since he's a top 5 LT. Howard is way overpaid at 15 mil per season.
Like I said that’s why you draft their replacement so you can groom them. Both of them can attempt to demand an extension or to be traded. Why would Tunsil want to stay after another 2-4 win season?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Like I said that’s why you draft their replacement so you can groom them. Both of them can attempt to demand an extension or to be traded. Why would Tunsil want to stay after another 2-4 win season?
Isn't Tunsil under contract through the 2023 season? Do you expect another 2-4 win season next year?

Porky

Hall of Fame
I was gone about 10 days on a vacation to New England and Canada and got back late Saturday. Missed the Charger game. I have it DVR'ed. I know they lost - but I want to see the action. I'll eventually get to it. Meanwhile...I did see the Jags game. My thoughts...

* No matter how bad the Texans are, the Jags can't beat them.

* Mills and Lawrence both sucked. Lawrence has way more leash than Mills due to his skillset and draft position. He's also shown more than Mills. In any event, if he gets his act together, the Jags can contend. They are solid elsewhere for the most part.

* Watching Mills is like watching paint dry. On a scale of 1-100 for pizzazz - he's a 0. There's nothing to his game that isn't 100% rote. This guy can't color outside the lines if his life depended on it. He's not a natural leader, can't play outside the box or make plays. It's just not who he is. Not to mention his accuracy issues. We can argue about WHEN he is replaced - but let's at least be realistic. There is literally zero chance this guy is the answer. All I know is that whatever year (23 or 24) Nick pulls the trigger, I want Lovie and Pep gone. I want a new regime with someone that can be here long-term and can actually mold the young man. If it's next year, I like Levis. As for Mills...he has a place in the league - but as a backup. I'm fine with him here if he can handle the demotion. Otherwise, move on.

* Texans finally seem to be embracing the youth movement. I liked what Garrett Wallow did yesterday. At the least, he and Harris (when healthy) might be your LB's when you're in nickel. The two starters need to be put out to pasture by 2023. The kids in the secondary acquitted themselves well...aided in part by TL's errant throws/bad decisions. DP is balling now. That 20 yarder to set up the game winner was a thing of beauty. I know he had a long run against the Chargers - saw that highlight. We desperately need a good second back though. This kid needs to be part of a good 2 man rotation or he'll be crispy-fried in a hurry. Nico seems to be turning a corner. I like him best as a big-bodied #2. We need to find a true number one stud asap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was gone about 10 days on a vacation to New England and Canada and got back late Saturday. Missed the Charger game. I have it DVR'ed. I know they lost - but I want to see the action. I'll eventually get to it. Meanwhile...I did see the Jags game. My thoughts...

* Mills and Lawrence both sucked. Lawrence has way more leash than Mills due to his skillset and draft position. He's also shown more than Mills. In any event, if he gets his act together, the Jags can contend. They are solid elsewhere for the most part.

* Watching Mills is like watching paint dry. On a scale of 1-100 for pizzazz - he's a 0. There's nothing to his game that isn't 100% rote. This guy can't color outside the lines if his life depended on it. He's not a natural leader, can't play outside the box or make plays. It's just not who he is. Not to mention his accuracy issues. We can argue about WHEN he is replaced - but let's at least be realistic. There is literally zero chance this guy is the answer. All I know is that whatever year (23 or 24) Nick pulls the trigger, I want Lovie and Pep gone. I want a new regime with someone that can be here long-term and can actually mold the young man. If it's next year, I like Levis. As for Mills...he has a place in the league - but as a backup. I'm fine with him here if he can handle the demotion. Otherwise, move on.

* Texans finally seem to be embracing the youth movement. I liked what Garrett Wallow did yesterday. At the least, he and Harris (when healthy) might be your LB's when you're in nickel. The two starters need to be put out to pasture by 2023. The kids in the secondary acquitted themselves well...aided in part by TL's errant throws/bad decisions. DP is balling now. That 20 yarder to set up the game winner was a thing of beauty. I know he had a long run against the Chargers - saw that highlight. We desperately need a good second back though. This kid needs to be part of a good 2 man rotation or he'll be crispy-fried in a hurry. Nico seems to be turning a corner. I like him best as a big-bodied #2. We need to find a true number one stud asap.
What has Lawrence done to make you think he's better than Mills. Unless you believe what the media is telling you. Both QB's likely wont be successful. Diference is Mills can be replaced easily. Hopefully they bring in some comp for him next yr and draft their QB in 2024. The Jags on the otherhand are stuck with the Clemson trash for 4 yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could see him being franchised after his contract runs out in 2 yrs. Top 5 LT's dont grow on trees. Heck he may even be franchised twice that would give him 4 yrs and the rebuild should be well over by then.

djohn2oo8

All Pro

He’s played how many games now? Imagine saying somebody is not the answer after one full season worth of games.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think Mills needs to be cut SOME slack. He played one season in college right? Yet he has the poise to stand in the pocket and deliver throws. You can fix accuracy.

Also, watch Mills start leaning on Nico more and the results change.
Hope you're right.

I wouldn't bet on this happening

I hope Mills starts throwing to Collins and the TE's much more often.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What has Lawrence done to make you think he's better than Mills. Unless you believe what the media is telling you. Both QB's likely wont be successful. Diference is Mills can be replaced easily. Hopefully they bring in some comp for him next yr and draft their QB in 2024. The Jags on the otherhand are stuck with the Clemson trash for 4 yrs.
Both of them can be replaced easily. The Jaguars can draft his replacement in 23 or 24. They already put a lot into the defense.

vtech9

All Pro
I'm watching the game again, and focusing on the linebackers. Grugier-Hill just looks lost most of the time. Kirksey just seems to choose the wrong path to the ball most of the time, and gets caught up in the scrum. Wallow made a few mistakes, but overall looked like the best LB on the field.

Mangler

Toro de España
This is what losing to the Texans does to somebody. Local reporter going off on his two number one draft picks. Video is filled with Pedersen’s post game so you have to skip over it.

The fact that they’re just now coming to the realization that Trevor Lawrence is not the generational QB everyone claimed he was makes this even more hilarious! The Jags organization is obviously not too quick on the uptake, lol.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He’s played how many games now? Imagine saying somebody is not the answer after one full season worth of games.
If he were making some strides, showing some improvement, I'd tend to agree. But he's not. If anything he seems to have regressed. I think part of the problems with Mills is that he's never had anyone here to learn from. Tyrod Taylor? Pffft. He did seem to do better when Taylor came back and he got to sit back and watch a few games. Then there's the fact he's never had to compete for the position he's in. Nobody has been here to push him and force him to fight to be a starter. I know it wasn't the plan, but who really expected Taylor to stay healthy all season. And he certainly had no competition in this year's camp. So he's been the guy from the get go really. All of that makes for a not very ideal situation for someone with very little experience.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Because he's getting paid, plus his contract is for what 2 more years? Now if you tell me Tunsil is traded and Howard slides over to lt, you might can sell progress on that one. If you get rid of both, that's hustling backwards.
No his contract is up in 2023. That contract could be negotiated. A playoffs type team could possibly pay him more.

And I’m not saying get rid of either. Just saying either one could bounce after this season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No his contract is up in 2023. That contract could be negotiated. A playoffs type team could possibly pay him more.

And I’m not saying get rid of either. Just saying either one could bounce after this season.
Have you heard of this thingy called the franchise tag? Kirk Cousins has.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
All this debate about what we need to have a winning team.
You guys are all wrong.

The key to a winning team is obvious.

I was off yesterday.... and we won.

First round picks.
QBs. Oline D... all can be forsaken.

Texans need to pay me to be off on every game day from here on out.... enough to set me up for retirement.

Then I can take up golfing.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He does, and I would let him go after this season and use that 15 mil plus more to sign Roquan Smith. I would go with Heck (Who's been a disappointment, Deculus, Draft a guy like Connor Galvin to hold down the RT position. I was just responding to the they need bookend OT's in a couple of yrs. They're going to pay one of their guys, so they really will only need one OT.

BTW, I know Neal hasn't set the world on fire, but he's been much more solid than given credit for. Thomas/Neal/Feliciano are a big reason Barkley is having a great yr. Although you would never know it reading some posters here. NYG 4-1. Coaching matters and the NYG's have been winning the close games with Danny Dimes, who while avg has come up clutch this yr.
Neal is ok until he has to pass block. I like Roquan and he's and upgrade over any lb on Texans. Kinda been injured alot since draft. Eberyone screaming Anderson like they ere Neal, but when it comes to Stroud, people bring up OState qbs. Tell me about all those highly drafted defensive line from Bama and show me who has been all pro. Maybe Anderson is the one just like Stroud might be the one from OState, just like Herbert was the one from the Ducks just like Rodgers was the one from Cal

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Neal is ok until he has to pass block. I like Roquan and he's and upgrade over any lb on Texans. Kinda been injured alot since draft. Eberyone screaming Anderson like they ere Neal, but when it comes to Stroud, people bring up OState qbs. Tell me about all those highly drafted defensive line from Bama and show me who has been all pro. Maybe Anderson is the one just like Stroud might be the one from OState, just like Herbert was the one from the Ducks just like Rodgers was the one from Cal
That Derrick Thomas guy was pretty good.

I also like Anderson from Georgia a lot too.

Neal has played 5 games and his team is 4-1 despite missing many skill position players. They were bad against Dallas because the Cowboys have a badazz OL. Overall the NYG OL has played wel and well above what was expected of them.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
That Derrick Thomas guy was pretty good.

I also like Anderson from Georgia a lot too.

Neal has played 5 games and his team is 4-1 despite missing many skill position players. They were bad against Dallas because the Cowboys have a badazz OL. Overall the NYG OL has played wel and well above what was expected of them.
Under Saban. Giants squad is smoke and mirrors. Their oline isn't good just like gb is very mediocre offensively this year with Cobb being their best wr option.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I'm watching the game again, and focusing on the linebackers. Grugier-Hill just looks lost most of the time. Kirksey just seems to choose the wrong path to the ball most of the time, and gets caught up in the scrum. Wallow made a few mistakes, but overall looked like the best LB on the field.
The LBs are terrible. You could replace them with average players and our D would get better. I’m hopeful Wallow and Harris develop over the season.

Reactions: JB

Texansballer74

The Marine
Have you heard of this thingy called the franchise tag? Kirk Cousins has.
Have you ever heard of the New Aged Texans. When was the last time they franchised a player or two in the same year? Nick and company have shown if a player doesn’t want to be here, he’s out of here.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
BTW, I know Neal hasn't set the world on fire, but he's been much more solid than given credit for.
Neal was pathetic in the game vs Dallas as he was virtually helpless against those edge rushers Dallas has.
I dunno maybe he's done well in run-blocking but sorry I'm thankful and glad we didn't use our #3 overall
on a guy who could be destined to play guard in teh NFL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Neal was pathetic in the game vs Dallas as he was virtually helpless against those edge rushers Dallas has.
I dunno maybe he's done well in run-blocking but sorry I'm thankful and glad we didn't use our #3 overall
on a guy who could be destined to play guard in teh NFL.
He had a bad game against a great defense. Kinda like Green's game against the Chargers. It happens, his team is 4-1 and the ol is a big part of that.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Have you ever heard of the New Aged Texans. When was the last time they franchised a player or two in the same year? Nick and company have shown if a player doesn’t want to be here, he’s out of here.
What player has been up for franchise tag that should have gotten the tag? Outside of Tunsil who is worth franchising?

If someone has been on the roster the last two years they weren’t going to be missed. They were just dead weight probably.

This team will not be a playoff team just by adding/keeping one player. Especially by using the franchise tag.