Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5 Texans vs Jaguars

Watching the Texans is bad enough. So, I haven't watched any Jags game this year. When Lawrence won AFC offensive player of the week and at one point, he threw 6 TDs and only 1 INT, I thought Pederson had him on the right track. I know it's only one game, but after the high passes and that horrible INT, this guy is not playing like the first pick in the draft.
You probably won't see him playing like the 1st pick of the draft until next year at least.
Mahomes is the exception, and if I remember, he sat his rookie year.

i'm re-watching the game. I wanted to verify what I thought I saw on the first Texans possession. On the 3rd and 6 play to Cooks on the sideline, while watching it live, I thought it was a good throw by Mills, and a bad play by Cooks. After re-watching that play several times, my first reaction was correct. Cooks misread the ball, and jumped early. He probably didn't need to jump at all. If he had taken one more step, the ball would have been right there. Since he jumped early, he was already on the way down when the ball got there. He almost made a great play, but if not for his bad read, it would have been a routine catch.

I think the Texas are owed a bunch of apologies from anyone who took the Jags to win this game, from anyone pointing to Trevor Lawrence as an improving QB compared to Davis Mills (not that I’m saying Davis is worth aDamb) & from anyone (including myself, I apologize) thinking Doug Pederson is doing a better job than Lovie, Texasfootballgod, Smith

This post is from Evan Williams hijacking TK, the venerable, account.
When I said Evan Williams was good I forgot to mention it's also 110 proof.

Some thoughts on today's game:

- Mills > Lawrence because he was a little more efficient and didn't make the costly mistake(s) that Lawrence did, although it wasn't a particularly impressive performance by either. Say what you want about the dumb Travon Walker penalty, but Mills & Team capitalized on it and initiated a late game winning drive, on the road. My hope is that this GWD inspires confidence in Mills that he can rally the team late, because he hasn't been good in pressure situations to date, whether closing games, dealing with the blitz etc. He got it done against a fairly good defense today.

- Nico Collins is looking more like the team's #1 receiver. Collins gradually seems to be running better routes, using his size more and making more adjustments, like he did on that 4th quarter 23-yards comeback adjustment ball. I'm just not impressed with Cooks ability to separate, ability to snag tough catches and straight drops. Collins needle is incrementally pointing up while Cooks is down.

- Desmond King is solid. With 3 PDs today in the secondary, King now has 7 PDs in 5 games and adds value on special teams as well. A couple of really nice pass deflections at key spots. About as solid as it gets from a CB3. Absolute steal @ $3.5M/annually through next season.

- Dameon Pierce. What can you say, the man is a horse. Runs with burst and power, but also is slippery and fights for extra yardage. Hit on his first nice screen pass today for 11 yards. I think Pierce in the open field is very dangerous I would expect more RB screens going forward. Reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew with the ability to run with power in a short compact body, but breakaway ability in the open field.

- Stingley first pick was all because he identified the play and returned to the proper position where Lawrence eventually threw the ball in the endzone. It shows Stingley was playing with his head and adapted based on muscle memory. He has an idea out there.

Nice win heading into the bye week. A very necessary one that hopefully inspired some confidence moving forward. Should at least take some pressure off in the short term. Let's see how the team responds in 2 weeks.

Safety man just needs to learn to trust Nico. He threw a 50/50 ball Nico had zero chance. The other one he had the chance and made the catch. Qb has to play alot better.
Trust takes some time and Nico needed t get incrementally better himself. He may be at the point where he can take that step to become a focal point in the offense. Let's see what happens coming out of the bye.

Trust takes some time and Nico needed t get incrementally better himself. He may be at the point where he can take that step to become a focal point in the offense. Let's see what happens coming out of the bye.
What has Burkehead done to earn such trust? If its one on one on the sideline, throw a back shoulder. Its either incomplete,a catch, or maybe even a pi.

Burkhead has an extensive track record of being a serviceable runner and pass catcher RB2 in the backfield. Fundamentally, he's fairly sound. He just isn't explosive and has lost a couple of steps and effectiveness over the past couple of years... Collins was a semi-project with tools coming out of college who had some holes in his game, and some injury issues last year which stunted his growth. He may hitting critical mass of positive performance to the point where he's earning the trust of coaching staff. Change takes time.

Last edited:
Who would you like to see picked at those positions?

Michael Mayer and the best WR or pass rusher possible. Pep wants to utilize the TE so it would make sense to grab a stud. Mayer, Howard and either Akins or Jordan (let them fight it out). As far as pass rusher could be an inside or outside DL.

Reactions: JB
seems to me Lovie is stopping the bleeding and the Texans are showing early signs of being more competitive and consistent.…I know it’s the Jags but they have been playing better football lately. Obviously NC can draft talent. One and a half drafts in and it is those draftees making the biggest impact as one would hope/expect. It also shows that we are still a draft or two away. NC also recognized a solid use for UDFA Hairston, hard nosed and a good dude. Will be interesting if Hinish can physically develop into a spawn of Siragusa. Pep needs to join the program and air out DM before next year’s draft. Just an observation but is it possible, despite the dearth of talent, that Lovie’s D is just a few players away from getting really interesting? Seems to me besides upsetting this MB that he also seems to upset the tempo of his opponents offense. If so he is as crazy…as a fox.

Lol he will build the rest of
The team first.

……might be the right move. Could you point to the next Andrew Luck type of QB in this draft class? Maybe even the Josh Allen? Just b/c the team may possess the 1-5 pick in the draft doesn’t obligate them to pick a QB1. A QB1 #1 pick overall better give the team all the warm and fuzzies that Luck gave the Colts. Personally, I don’t see that QB in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Michael Mayer and the best WR or pass rusher possible. Pep wants to utilize the TE so it would make sense to grab a stud. Mayer, Howard and either Akins or Jordan (let them fight it out). As far as pass rusher could be an inside or outside DL.
I've got Mayer and Washington as TE 1and 2 on my board. But.there may be more value in picking TE's Gilbert, Stover and LaPorta in the 3rd

I'm thinking after seeing the defense getting run over I might go Anderson and Ika in the 1st to help stop the run game and pass rush, then go skill position players the rest of the draft. This is another build out the trenches draft

Contradictory?
Yes, it is.

At this point and seeing teams just run over them, I can't make up my mind. They need skill position players in the worst way. But if you can't rush the passer and stop the run you aren't going to win many games.

Draft these 2 dl and sign an impact lb in fa and the defense will be much improved. If Caserio was to go this way, I'm hoping either Washington or Johnston falls to the top of the 2nd. If this doesn't happen I'm picking the best TE at the top of the 2nd and trading back into the 2nd for hopefully Mingo or Rahsee Rice. Both are big WR's that can run and have good hands I don't know how to move this to the draft section. But if the mods want to move this post we can continue this discussion over there.

……might be the right move. Could you point to the next Andrew Luck type of QB in this draft class? Maybe even the Josh Allen? Just b/c the team may possess the 1-5 pick in the draft doesn’t obligate them to pick a QB1. A QB1 #1 pick overall better give the team all the warm and fuzzies that Luck gave the Colts. Personally, I don’t see that QB in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Yeah I don’t see it either. Not sold on Stroud and the Alabama QB has a small frame. Might as well fill the other needs first.

They have more skilled position players than defensive linemen. And pretty soon, they will need bookend OTs.

It's a process. It's going to take time. One draft at a time.
The Texans basically need a whole new front 7 on Defense, and upgrades at most OLine positions.

The Texans basically need a whole new front 7 on Defense, and upgrades at most OLine positions.
100% I'm with steebtexan that if the draft was tomorrow, I'm investing heavily on the defensive front 7, and especially pass rushing edge DE and OLB. The latter assumes that John Greenard doesn't take a step forward, as he hasn't this year. DT needed also, although I feel this is less of an immediate concern. The lack of pass rush is troubling on this team, and Hughs isn't going to last much longer. The fact that Lawrence crapped the bed with a mostly clean pocket all game is a testament to the secondary, which has made the biggest leap this year. Imagine the front 7 could actually pressure the QB with any consistency??

Why do you think they will need bookend OT's? Tunsil and and Howard are still young guys.
Because it’s a good chance one of them won’t be here next season. So you have to be prepared. Not only that you have to groom another LT for Tunsil possible departure in two years.

Back