Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3 Post Game: Let out the EXCITEMENT!

Last year, we won a defensive struggle behind Dameon Pierce's 140 yards rushing. Mills had a 81.9 passer rating (not QBR). Trevor Lawrence threw for more yards but he also threw 2 interceptions.

In yesterday's game, Lawrence threw for 1 less yard than Stroud. Lawrence's passer rating was 85.3... but Stroud's passer rating was 118.7.

Stroud was The Man and led the entire team to a victory yesterday.

IMO.
Nobody is disputing this.

I really enjoyed this. I know it is the Jags and we have their number but still. Stroud has shown a steady progression from game to game. It has been nice to watch him take step after step.

I saw flashes of the Pierce from last year. If we can get him on track the Texans could be a real spoiler this year. It is still just one game & like Bill Parcells said about Tony Romo "Put away the anointing oil" but to my old eyes he looks like the real deal.

Just as a sidenote I wonder how many teams have ever had a blocked field goal & a kickoff returned for a touchdown in the same game.

He reminds me more of Patrick Mahomes. Playmaker and gym rat. Difference being Patrick was a baseball player (pitcher but wanted to play shortstop) while CJ was a point guard in basketball.
Both applicable, competitive, studious, memorizing concepts and learning from mistakes.
Mahomes played hoops in HS. I think he was a PG. I think Stroud was the SG. But who was the best HS hooper? Maybe Joe Burrow, who was 1st team all Ohio as a PG.

Couple of notes on Beck's KO return from NFL.com.

Next Gen stat of the game: Andrew Beck reached a top speed of 20.37 mph on his 85-yard kickoff return TD, the first time a fullback has reached 20+ mph as a ball-carrier since Jamize Olawale in 2016.

NFL Research: Andrew Beck (255 pounds) is the heaviest player with a kick return TD of at least 50 yards in NFL history.

Next Gen stat of the game: Andrew Beck reached a top speed of 20.37 mph on his 85-yard kickoff return TD, the first time a fullback has reached 20+ mph as a ball-carrier since Jamize Olawale in 2016.

NFL Research: Andrew Beck (255 pounds) is the heaviest player with a kick return TD of at least 50 yards in NFL history.
Surely that's enough to get him into the HOF... like VY's cleats or something.

I'm out of town and watched the game Sunday in a terrific sports bar in Great Falls, Montana.
I can't remember when I've been this excited about a Texans game, any game win loose, or draw.
I kid you not I was absolutely thrilled and still high from that tremendous performance.
I was kinda bummed out after the Colts dominated us last week in NRG but today we we are right about where I expected:
Didn't think we'd have much of a chance vs the Ravens and didn't expect us to beat the Jags at their place
but was hoping we might win our home opener and lookie here we are sitting at 1-2 which ain't bad at all IMO given the long list of injuries.
I say bring on the Stealers - who knows ?

I'm out of town and watched the game Sunday in a terrific sports bar in Great Falls, Montana.
I can't remember when I've been this excited about a Texans game, any game win loose, or draw.
I kid you not I was absolutely thrilled and still high from that tremendous performance.
I was kinda bummed out after the Colts dominated us last week in NRG but today we we are right about where I expected:
Didn't think we'd have much of a chance vs the Ravens and didn't expect us to beat the Jags at their place
but was hoping we might win our home opener and lookie here we are sitting at 1-2 which ain't bad at all IMO given the long list of injuries.
I say bring on the Stealers - who knows ?
Who knows?
That’s why they play the game. But like our chances. One game @ a time, not too high or low, just let it flow!

Doesn't take away from what I said. Everyone knows Jacksonville is our safe space, just like when we play the Bengals lol. This one was different though watching Stroud kick ass as he continues to develop. I am excited to see him play in person next week. Great game, what a win!
True, I'm just trying to slow the roll around here.

Of course we are setting ourselves up for a fall. Sooner or later reality will bring us back to earth. But I don't see anything wrong with it. I watch football for the fun of it.

I'm tired of wallowing in misery about the owners, players & coaches. I'm damn well going to enjoy my high when it seems like a lot of that has improved. When reality comes knocking well I'll face that when it comes.

So I don't need anybody to slow my roll. This is not my first rodeo with Houston football so I'm sure the Texans will probably handle that. But until then I'm not just drinking the kool-aid I'm guzzling it.

Sucks that we have to face the Steelers after this feel good win. I’m afraid that the offensive line is going to have CJ running for his life for the entire game. It’s going to be brutal!

Sucks that we have to face the Steelers after this feel good win. I’m afraid that the offensive line is going to have CJ running for his life for the entire game. It’s going to be brutal!
Yeah Im worried about their pass rush around the edges...baby watt is probably licking his chops...when does Tunsil and Howard get back?? Whenever it is..its not soon enough

They get back Tunsil.

Patterson and Mason were good last week.

They just need to chip Watt every play and CJ needs to keep doing what he is doing.

He has been getting the ball out extremely fast.

It's going to be a defensive battle for sure.

Probably the best defense we've faced so far while simultaneously going to be the worst offense we've faced.

Think this will be CJ's first INT week

They get back Tunsil.

Patterson and Mason were good last week.

They just need to chip Watt every play and CJ needs to keep doing what he is doing.

He has been getting the ball out extremely fast.
I think I remember it being post here on TT that Watt lines up on the offensive strong side, which would be against Fant. His PFF pass blocking grade is 74.8, #35. He'll need help from the TE.

Probably the best defense we've faced so far while simultaneously going to be the worst offense we've faced.

So where trying to predict when he’ll throw an interception lol?

Don't sleep on the Steelers' offense.
They had played the no. 1 D in both points and yards (Browns) and the no. 3 D in yards and 5th in points allowed (Niners).

They might be the best offense we've faced so far.

This was a fun game to watch (finally!), and this season has a whole different vibe about it. DeMeco has set the tone and it's clear the players are responding. This team is going to have the personality of an all-pro middle linebacker!! I'm excited as a Texans fan!

I love this thread, btw. Hopefully it'll be the first of many to come! :texflag:

It'll be a good test. CJ knows it going into this game and hopefully plans to get rid of the ball quickly. The best way to negate a pass rush is not holding on to the ball. It will be interesting to see how he and the entire team responds to the JAX win, especially at home and honoring JJ.

Good lord have mercy, people actually measure top speed of a return? Can they do that from a computer? Of what value is it? 😵‍💫

The Ravens defense is up there. One could say their defense is better than the Steelers.
It's different but I wouldn't say better. Ravens have an interesting linebacker group, but the Steelers have one of the best pass rushers in the entire league (no one on the Ravens is even remotely close) and they're very good against the run as well. Plus a pretty tight lockdown secondary that's healthy compared to the banged up Ravens one.

If I had to pick which one my team could have I'd easily pick the Steelers.

Doesn't take away from what I said. Everyone knows Jacksonville is our safe space, just like when we play the Bengals lol. This one was different though watching Stroud kick ass as he continues to develop. I am excited to see him play in person next week. Great game, what a win!
Just like when we play the Bengals with TJ Yates under center!

Don't sleep on the Steelers' offense.
They had played the no. 1 D in both points and yards (Browns) and the no. 3 D in yards and 5th in points allowed (Niners).

They might be the best offense we've faced so far.
The Steelers offense is not all that. Our D should have a decent day. Worried about our Oline holding up against that defense though

Good lord have mercy, people actually measure top speed of a return? Can they do that from a computer? Of what value is it? 😵‍💫
According to their web page NFL Next Gen Stats captures real-time location data, speed, and acceleration for every player on every play on every inch of the field. However, I can't find any specific information on the technology or method used.

Which begs the question that if they can do it for players why can't they do it for the ball.

Last edited:
According to their web page NFL Next Gen Stats captures real-time location data, speed, and acceleration for every player on every play on every inch of the field. However, I can't find any specific information on the technology or method used.

Which begs the question that if they can do it for players why can't they do it for the ball.
Not sure what good this data is for. Don’t see how it can improve on what is known from the combine and in any event it’s not going to change the player.

Back