Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3: Carolina at Houston

Mark my words, Davis Mills has NO FUTURE as a starting Qb in the NFL.

Aside from the fact that you're technically already wrong considering he'll be starting in the future for us this Thursday and possibly the week after, i think its too early to tell anything with him. The golden boy with the lazer quick release and crazy arm talent Zach Wilson tossed 4 picks this past Sunday. Trevor Lawrence looks just as clueless and we're about to see what Justin Fields has in week 3. I wonder if you'd be out on all those guys already if they played the same way Mills did...in spot duty no less.

I think if Kelly can keep him out of obvious passing situations, we can run it decently like we did the 1st week against the Jags & the defense continues to get TO's and makes Darnold look like Jets Darnold, it won't be too bad for him this week. & even if it is, its a learning experience for him to carry into the next week against the Bills.............b/c i'm pretty sure he'll be starting for us that week as well.

Aside from the fact that you're technically already wrong
I wonder what was the actual issue with him turning to his right when his RB ran to the left, twice. Or with not seeing that blitzer.

If any of whatever that was will carry over to Thursday. Those issues & throwing behind the receiver are really my only issues.

I wonder what was the actual issue with him turning to his right when his RB ran to the left, twice. Or with not seeing that blitzer.

If any of whatever that was will carry over to Thursday. Those issues & throwing behind the receiver are really my only issues.

i don't think it was anything really but a rookie getting live reps...The game is sooo much faster than practice...& this guy has mostly been running the scout team offense for the defense with 0 1st team offense reps. You're gonna see stuff like that from him all year b/c he's still learning & getting comfy with the playbook. The front side blitzer that snuffed him...seems he just got fooled, it happens..again rookie stuff. Even tho its a short week, alot of that stuff was likely addressed with film session of the game and 1st team reps all week b/c its a virtual certainty CAR is gonna try to get him on the same blitz.

Still, expect to see him holding the ball too long at times, misreading defenses & that will likely lead to more than a few picks for him. On the flip side tho, his timing with the WR's should be better now that he's getting all the 1st team reps.

The game is sooo much faster than practice...& this guy has mostly been running the scout team offense for the defense with 0 1st team offense reps.

So what's Driskel been doing?

Even tho its a short week, alot of that stuff was likely addressed with film session of the game and 1st team reps all week b/c its a virtual certainty CAR is gonna try to get him on the same blitz.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are going to be "any" reps this week. I think "practice" is going to be all classroom. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it to be for a short week.

Are you referring to the deep ball to Cooks. Listening to 610, that was just a case of the receiver and the QB reading the coverage differently. The 610 sportscaster whose a former QB, said he thought Mills had the correct read and that when they reviewed the film, Cooks would like to have a do over.

Fixed that for you. :kitten:

Just curious, since 2000, how many 6th round QBs became starters in the NFL?

So, I looked it up and someone has already done the research:

"[A]mong the 92 quarterbacks drafted in the fifth round or later since 2001, only three have thrown at least 1,000 passes: Derek Anderson, Matt Cassel, and Ryan Fitzpatrick."
~ Source

Now I figure every QB drafted is somewhat a of a gamble, but obviously the odds are much, much greater the deeper in the draft they get picked.

I'd love it if Mills could buck the odds, but I'm not putting any money on it. ;)

Probably going on water & towel runs for the other guys.
Nah... I bet he's been running the scout team the way a PS quarterback should. Davis should have been getting back up QB reps with the 1st team.

Just curious, since 2000, how many 6th round QBs became starters in the NFL?

So, I looked it up and someone has already done the research:

"[A]mong the 92 quarterbacks drafted in the fifth round or later since 2001, only three have thrown at least 1,000 passes: Derek Anderson, Matt Cassel, and Ryan Fitzpatrick."
~ Source

Now I figure every QB drafted is somewhat a of a gamble, but obviously the odds are much, much greater the deeper in the draft they get picked.

I'd love it if Mills could buck the odds, but I'm not putting any money on it. ;)

Interesting site. So looking at the stats then (according to that site) QBs taken in the 1st round end up with more games started and games played than all the rest of the draft rounds together. QBs taken in the 2nd round get about 1/4 as many games started/played as do those taken in the 1st round, but about twice as many as any round from the 3rd on down. From the 3rd on down there isn't a lot of real difference, those guys end up with about 1/6 the amount of games as does someone in the 1st round.

All of which you'd expect. Which is exactly why all this brouhaha about Mills is silly. If we get lucky with Mills, great, if not he is what he is, a 3rd round prospect that statistically wouldn't have seen the light of day anyway.

Are you referring to the deep ball to Cooks. Listening to 610, that was just a case of the receiver and the QB reading the coverage differently. The 610 sportscaster whose a former QB, said he thought Mills had the correct read and that when they reviewed the film, Cooks would like to have a do over.
No, TK wasn't referring to the deep ball.

It doesn't matter.
The FS was bracketing the inside route.
Only because Cooks turned outside that he followed his path.
Had Cooks turned to the inside, the FS would have ran a straighter path, and he would have been right where the ball came down.
An incompletion was for sure.
An INT had a slight chance to occur, depending on how well the FS was going to play it.

Interesting site. So looking at the stats then (according to that site) QBs taken in the 1st round end up with more games started and games played than all the rest of the draft rounds together. QBs taken in the 2nd round get about 1/4 as many games started/played as do those taken in the 1st round, but about twice as many as any round from the 3rd on down. From the 3rd on down there isn't a lot of real difference, those guys end up with about 1/6 the amount of games as does someone in the 1st round.

All of which you'd expect. Which is exactly why all this brouhaha about Mills is silly. If we get lucky with Mills, great, if not he is what he is, a 3rd round prospect that statistically wouldn't have seen the light of day anyway.
You fail to see that nowadays, a high third round pick needs to become a solid starter somewhere on the team, the way the roster turns over very quickly, what with the average career span of an NFL player now is just 3.3 years on the average.

Nailed it. :thumbup

I know a lot of people here don't care for the passer rating stat. But humor me.

Top career passer rating for QBs drafted 3rd round or later

4. Russell Wilson (3rd)
6. Kirk Cousins (4th)
7. Tom Brady (6th) & Dak Prescott (4th)
9. Tony Romo (Undrafted)
15. Kurt Warner (Undrafted)
17. Joe Montana (3rd)

Does that mean Davis Mills will be a great QB? No. All it means is that you can't rule out Davis Mills becoming a legit NFL QB based solely on draft position.

Every QB that enters the league has the odds stacked against him in becoming a top QB. It usually comes down to talent+preparation+opportunity. Mills is getting the opportunity part.

Aside from the fact that you're technically already wrong considering he'll be starting in the future for us this Thursday and possibly the week after, i think its too early to tell anything with him. The golden boy with the lazer quick release and crazy arm talent Zach Wilson tossed 4 picks this past Sunday. Trevor Lawrence looks just as clueless and we're about to see what Justin Fields has in week 3. I wonder if you'd be out on all those guys already if they played the same way Mills did...in spot duty no less.

I think if Kelly can keep him out of obvious passing situations, we can run it decently like we did the 1st week against the Jags & the defense continues to get TO's and makes Darnold look like Jets Darnold, it won't be too bad for him this week. & even if it is, its a learning experience for him to carry into the next week against the Bills.............b/c i'm pretty sure he'll be starting for us that week as well.
The quarterbacks you mentioned were drafted well ahead of Davis Mills and were drafted with the inent to play them all season or most of the season. Also they had way more college experience and none of them came out of college WAY too soon. The fact that they are struggling makes starting Davis Mills all the more misguided. Our team has shown that with quality quarterback play they can compete. Yes Davis threw a TD on Sunday but he also threw an interception. He did not look anywhere near ready to start.

I could even go with starting Davis Mills if we at least brought Cam Newton in as a quality experienced back up. If Davis ***** himself at least Cam has the exerience to come in and give us a fair shot to win some games. I realize Cam is nowhere near his best self but he is experienced and is better than any other available quartertback to back up Davis Mills should it come to pass that Davis Mills can't play. Maybe Davis Mills plays well but gets hurt. In that regard having a quality back up for him is the right thing to do.

The quarterbacks you mentioned were drafted well ahead of Davis Mills and were drafted with the inent to play them all season or most of the season. Also they had way more college experience and none of them came out of college WAY too soon. The fact that they are struggling makes starting Davis Mills all the more misguided. Our team has shown that with quality quarterback play they can compete. Yes Davis threw a TD on Sunday but he also threw an interception. He did not look anywhere near ready to start.

I could even go with starting Davis Mills if we at least brought Cam Newton in as a quality experienced back up. If Davis ***** himself at least Cam has the exerience to come in and give us a fair shot to win some games. I realize Cam is nowhere near his best self but he is experienced and is better than any other available quartertback to back up Davis Mills should it come to pass that Davis Mills can't play. Maybe Davis Mills plays well but gets hurt. In that regard having a quality back up for him is the right thing to do.

None of them do, so why penalize Mills for looking the same as them is all I’m asking.

Culley made it clear this morning that Watson will be inactive for Thursday's game. It then makes sense that Driskel is elevated from the PS.
Why put our teams fate in the hands of Jeff Driskel who has shown he is nowhere near ready to step in for Davis and have any real success? I get it, a lot of people don't like Cam Newton but I would feel a whole lot better if he were to back up Davis Mills as opposed to Jeff Driskel. For me it just makes more sense. Any concerns about Cam being a distraction are nullified by DW4 and the disrtraction he could be.

I am not a Davis Mills hater. I would love for him to do good to great for our team but I just don't see it at this time.

None of them do, so why penalize Mills for looking the same as them is all I’m asking.
It's not about penalizing Mills. It is about giving our team it's best chance to win and win now. I realize our team is not expected to do much but in the last two weeks our team has proven to be better than expected and I for one would like us to maximize our chances to try and win games. There is plenty of time for us to determine that our team has no chance of doing anything special and once that has been determined than start Davis Mills. I am only saying lets give it 5 or 6 games with Cam Newton and see where we are at. There is no time for petty feelings toward Cam Newton to get in the way of seeing what he brings to the table and how many games we can win with him. If he stinks than I have no problem going with Davis Mills at that point.

On a side note I don't mind Davis Mills starting now as long as we bring in Cam Newton to back him up. I really don't want to turn to Jeff Driskel if it comes down to bringing in a back up for Davis Mills.

Besides having Cam Newton signed now while Davis Mills starts a least lets him get a good feel for his teammates and a chance to build some kind of chemistry. As much as it possible at this time.

Last edited:
Mark my words, Davis Mills has NO FUTURE as a starting Qb in the NFL.
CWTexansFan, I thought it was funnier when a poster tried to compare Davis Mills to Tom Brady who had way more college experience. Simply being drafted late does not mean he and Davis Mills are anything alike. History more or less backs up my opinion over anybody who thinks Davis will make it as a starter in the NFL.

Why put our teams fate in the hands of Jeff Driskel who has shown he is nowhere near ready to step in for Davis and have any real success? I get it, a lot of people don't like Cam Newton but I would feel a whole lot better if he were to back up Davis Mills as opposed to Jeff Driskel. For me it just makes more sense. Any concerns about Cam being a distraction are nullified by DW4 and the disrtraction he could be.

I am not a Davis Mills hater. I would love for him to do good to great for our team but I just don't see it at this time.
Driskel has been with the team since mid May and is very familiar with Culley's/Kelly's offense.

You can always find a distraction when you're not looking for one...........like the one we already have. Why in the heck would we now then actively look for another one? :toropalm:

Driskel has been with the team since mid May and is very familiar with Culley's/Kelly's offense.

You can always find a distraction when you're not looking for one...........like the one we already have. Why in the heck would we now then actively look for another one? :toropalm:
I will just have to agree to disagree with most of you.

It's not about penalizing Mills. It is about giving our team it's best chance to win and win now. I realize our team is not expected to do much but in the last two weeks our team has proven to be better than expected and I for one would like us to maximize our chances to try and win games. There is plenty of time for us to determine that our team has no chance of doing anything special and once that has been determined than start Davis Mills. I am only saying lets give it 5 or 6 games with Cam Newton and see where we are at. There is no time for petty feelings toward Cam Newton to get in the way of seeing what he brings to the table and how many games we can win with him. If he stinks than I have no problem going with Davis Mills at that point.

On a side note I don't mind Davis Mills starting now as long as we bring in Cam Newton to back him up. I really don't want to turn to Jeff Driskel if it comes down to bringing in a back up for Davis Mills.

Besides having Cam Newton signed now while Davis Mills starts a least lets him get a good feel for his teammates and a chance to build some kind of chemistry. As much as it possible at this time.

You want to be serious so here’s a serious question. You say you want us to win games so tell me do you see us being a playoff team, or winning the AFCC or even the SB? Because if all we do is 9-8 or something close then we are back in draft purgatory. To good to get high draft picks without selling the farm and to bad to be real threats.

I’m not cheering for the team to lose but I sure as hell don’t want to go back to looking at all our division titles as the best we can get.

I will just have to agree to disagree with most of you.

Cam is at the “Tim Tebow” point in his career where his value to a team is outweighed by the distraction he brings. NFL teams want backup QBs that are not noticed. The last thing NFL coaches and player want to answer from media all week is questions about the guy holding the clip board.

Cam is at the “Tim Tebow” point in his career where his value to a team is outweighed by the distraction he brings. NFL teams want backup QBs that are not noticed. The last thing NFL coaches and player want to answer from media all week is questions about the guy holding the clip board.
Perhaps you are right. Kind of like the distraction DW4 has been to the team up to this point in the season.

CWTexansFan, I thought it was funnier when a poster tried to compare Davis Mills to Tom Brady who had way more college experience. Simply being drafted late does not mean he and Davis Mills are anything alike. History more or less backs up my opinion over anybody who thinks Davis will make it as a starter in the NFL.
Not sure why you sent this to my pm, nor why we're reposting in here. But here you go.
I disagree, Cam is done and has been done. Not smart enough to even remember playbooks. It goes back to his days at Carolina and continued in New England.

You want to be serious so here’s a serious question. You say you want us to win games so tell me do you see us being a playoff team, or winning the AFCC or even the SB? Because if all we do is 9-8 or something close then we are back in draft purgatory. To good to get high draft picks without selling the farm and to bad to be real threats.

I’m not cheering for the team to lose but I sure as hell don’t want to go back to looking at all our division titles as the best we can get.
There is plenty of value to be found in the middle of the pack on drafts. The best teams prove it quite often as the rich many times tend to get richer. I do get your point though. I would love for us to have early draft picks as opposed to mid to late round ones but I also don't want to be left wondering how good we could have been.

There is plenty of value to be found in the middle of the pack on drafts. The best teams prove it quite often as the rich many times tend to get richer. I do get your point though. I would love for us to have early draft picks as opposed to mid to late round ones but I also don't want to be left wondering how good we could have been.

Value yes but not team changing value. You said it yourself the rich get richer but in case you haven’t noticed we are very far from rich.

Switching Mills for Newton, Watson or hell even Brady won’t change the fact that this is a team made up of mostly filler players. Not bad players per say but not the kind of players that are going to be in any HoF discussions. A team can be solid like that but they aren’t going very far and at best they are “better than they have any right to be” type of team.

As far as Cam goes, in Carolina he was a RB that got put at QB most likely due to a clerical error. He had one good year with Riverboat Ron in exchange for Ron’s soul. Then he gets to the super bowl and decides not to dive on a ball because he’s saving himself for a future big game. I can only assume he either didn’t understand that the super bowl is THE big game or perhaps he thought American football was going to become an Olympic sport and he would be up for a gold metal.

Get to NE and he cost that team several games because he couldn’t run like he use to and never had a good arm. Even the hood couldn’t do much with him and then he gets to off season AND GETS BEAT OUT BY A ROOKIE. Not to mention even if we did bring him on his salary demands might well break the bank.

So yeah I’ll pass on Cammy, might as well give Kapernickle a call if you are going to scrap the washed up side show barrel.

Cam is not coming here to start for maybe 5 games. Once Tyrod is ready to go, he will resume the starting role.

For all those drafts where division titles were the best we could do, you can find better players than the ones we drafted that were drafted lower.

I don’t care about high draft picks. I’d rather know the Texans did all they could to win every game. I don’t think bringing Cam Newton in now is going to help win games.

I hope Nick is the kind of guy who targets players he wants, then maneuver around in the draft to get the players he wants & accumulate draft picks in the process.

Teams that tank year after year & accumulate picks might be good for a year or two, but three or four decent years & they’re screwed. Can’t sign all their high drafted players 4 years later, can’t find good players later in the draft.

Losers lose. That’s what they do. Winners win.

For all those drafts where division titles were the best we could do, you can find better players than the ones we drafted that were drafted lower.

I don’t care about high draft picks. I’d rather know the Texans did all they could to win every game. I don’t think bringing Cam Newton in now is going to help win games.

I hope Nick is the kind of guy who targets players he wants, then maneuver around in the draft to get the players he wants & accumulate draft picks in the process.

Teams that tank year after year & accumulate picks might be good for a year or two, but three or four decent years & they’re screwed. Can’t sign all their high drafted players 4 years later, can’t find good players later in the draft.

Losers lose. That’s what they do. Winners win.

Very true but you have to have some starting point which is usually either a high draft pick to get the franchise guy or trade away your best assets for a bucket load of picks.

Right now the only real assets of value Texans have is Tunsil and Watson. Tunsil you wouldn’t get a high enough pick to make it worth losing him, though if Jags or Jets wanted to protect their new QBs and offered a 1st I’d take it, and Watson.......yeah.

So that being said about the only course left is a high draft pick. That doesn’t mean tank year after year, hello Browns, but if you have a year to get the dial moving player then it can make all the difference. Take the Dolts and Luck, if they had remembered to actually protect him after drafting him I could see them as having the same thing as NE. Only real contending team that’s feasting on a weak division.

So that being said about the only course left is a high draft pick.
I think that’s chicken & egg thinking. I mean we’ve had Jj Watt. Cushing & Demeco, AJ, Hopkins... & got nowhere.

Take the Dolts and Luck, if they had remembered to actually protect him after drafting him I could see them as having the same thing as NE.

But they didn’t.Like I said, losers lose.

Look at KC. Neither Hill or Kielce was taken in the first round.

The Patriots have had the worst drafts over the last couple of decades. I know they had the goat, but their best players outside of him was usually someone else’s cast off.

We’re not going to “high draft” pick our way into contention. Good coaching, smart drafting. Whether it’s drafting high or low. Smart drafting.

I agree with you in terms wanting to maximize this team chance of winning, i just think that starting Mills IS that best chance; for a few reasons. A: he's been here all offseason & tho he's a rookie, he likely knows the playbook better than Newton at this point & the other players on this team... namely the WR's know how he throws the ball....especially coming into a game on a short week. The other reason is b/c i'm not sure Cam would want to come here and be a stop gap starter for a few games and then be a back up when Tyrod returns. C. & this is probably the biggest reason, He'd take up another roster spot on a team that already has 1 slot permanently occupied by a QB who isn't going to play for you at all this year. Sure you can release Driskel, but you're not gonna put Mills, Tyrod or DW4 on the practice squad, so basically you've got 4 spots on your roster being occupied. Who do you release at that point to make room for Cam?

I agree with you in terms wanting to maximize this team chance of winning, i just think that starting Mills IS that best chance; for a few reasons. A: he's been here all offseason & tho he's a rookie, he likely knows the playbook better than Newton at this point & the other players on this team... namely the WR's know how he throws the ball....especially coming into a game on a short week. The other reason is b/c i'm not sure Cam would want to come here and be a stop gap starter for a few games and then be a back up when Tyrod returns. C. & this is probably the biggest reason, He'd take up another roster spot on a team that already has 1 slot permanently occupied by a QB who isn't going to play for you at all this year. Sure you can release Driskel, but you're not gonna put Mills, Tyrod or DW4 on the practice squad, so basically you've got 4 spots on your roster being occupied. Who do you release at that point to make room for Cam?
You make some valid points. I appreciate where you are coming from.

I am not just being a Cam fan but at the same time there is not a lot of veteran options better than him available. I also think that in the right situation he could do better than we have seen from him in recent years.

At this time I am going to get behind our young quarterbacks and hope at least one of them suprises us. Go Texans!!!

Would the Texans win the SB if TT had remained healthy all season, made the playoffs? Doubtful

So let Mills take his lumps and get experience, the record most likely wont be good so the Texans should have high picks in next yrs draft. This is a win-win.

I think that’s chicken & egg thinking. I mean we’ve had Jj Watt. Cushing & Demeco, AJ, Hopkins... & got nowhere.

But they didn’t.Like I said, losers lose.

Look at KC. Neither Hill or Kielce was taken in the first round.

The Patriots have had the worst drafts over the last couple of decades. I know they had the goat, but their best players outside of him was usually someone else’s cast off.

We’re not going to “high draft” pick our way into contention. Good coaching, smart drafting. Whether it’s drafting high or low. Smart drafting.

High draft picks are usually better players. Guys like Kelce/Hill are available later in the draft but they aren't Texans Worthy so you rarely get premium talent later in the draft. Although I think with all of the 6thyr Covid Srs. there's a chance to find a difference maker later in the draft. Kinda like with Collins this yr.

A couple of those will be miscommunication because he hasn't had any time to develop chemistry with his receivers. Why don't we give the kid a little time.
Never said I wasn't giving him a chance, I'm just saying I don't see any special traits that could make him special. I've stated before, I would've tried a reclamation project over burning a 3rd rd pick on a guy who doesn't have many snaps with no special traits.

Never said I wasn't giving him a chance, I'm just saying I don't see any special traits that could make him special. I've stated before, I would've tried a reclamation project over burning a 3rd rd pick on a guy who doesn't have many snaps with no special traits.

If the Texans had had a 1st and 2nd round pick and if Watson was still playing we wouldn't all be having this conversation. The Mills pick would have raised a few eyebrows then been mostly forgotten. But situation being what it is he is under the microscope as though we took him at 1:1.

Would the Texans win the SB if TT had remained healthy all season, made the playoffs? Doubtful

So let Mills take his lumps and get experience, the record most likely wont be good so the Texans should have high picks in next yrs draft. This is a win-win.
I think it's not a bad situation for a young QB here.

The Oline seems to hold fairly well in pass pro, or at least not terrible (yet).

The Texans have a good stable of RBs, the line needs to do better on this end though.

I think it's not a bad situation for a young QB here.

The Oline seems to hold fairly well in pass pro, or at least not terrible (yet).

The Texans have a good stable of RBs, the line needs to do better on this end though.

The OL is practically brand new. It's going to take some time for them to jell.

Why did you put Yet in this post? I guess you're just Mr. Negative.

The fact that the WR's are hurt isn't going to help the situation.

If the Texans had had a 1st and 2nd round pick and if Watson was still playing we wouldn't all be having this conversation. The Mills pick would have raised a few eyebrows then been mostly forgotten. But situation being what it is he is under the microscope as though we took him at 1:1.

Which proves either some posters have an Agenda (I think we know who the usual suspects are) or they expected the team to win this yr. (Unrealistic)

Back