Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 2...The Test...Kansas City Chiefs!!!

I wouldn't presume Reid is better than O'Brien. Jury is out on that one.

Smith's legs are a threat, we'll have to beat him down to discourage him getting frisky.

As for Kelce, hope we have a better plan than last year.
If they run that speed option like they did against SD, I hope our LBs pop the living crap out of him even when he tosses the ball; let him know that play call comes with serious pain.

We need to stop Travis freaking Kelce this time. And watch out the screen passes, that sh*t killed our defense last year.

Whether the house gives 2.5 or 3.0 for home field advantage, Chiefs +2 is saying don't take this "win" for granted.
It's not a "Win" until it's in the books as such. I don't think anyone will take this game for granted considering what the Chiefs have done to the Texans in the past. No way this game is over looked.
It's going to be a tough game.

KC won't be the dog Chicago was. They have two things not all teams have, things devastating to a defense: a quarterback who can run and a great tight end. They also have a better head coach than we do. There might not be much fun in the stands.

Saying they have a better HC than we do is simply an opinion based on nothing but HC experience. Reid is a well respected coach and one of the better ones, but that doesn't make him better. He has never won a SB, and had a lot of issues in Philly where he made a lot of really bad decisions in key moments that he became known for. Over all I think he is a real good HC though. OB has been pretty solid so far for the Texans, and is slowly building what looks like to be an elite team in the future. I think we're doing just fine, and this will be a close game. It will be a tough one for sure.

Saying they have a better HC than we do is simply an opinion based on nothing but HC experience. Reid is a well respected coach and one of the better ones, but that doesn't make him better. He has never won a SB, and had a lot of issues in Philly where he made a lot of really bad decisions in key moments that he became known for. Over all I think he is a real good HC though. OB has been pretty solid so far for the Texans, and is slowly building what looks like to be an elite team in the future. I think we're doing just fine, and this will be a close game. It will be a tough one for sure.
This^^^^
Both coaching staffs are pretty good. The Texans pedigree is equal to any staff except maybe the Patriots and with the addition of Izzo, it just got better here. O'brien seems to get better with each passing season and this could be a great year for him with a new offense and the returning defense. It will be interesting and fun to watch his growth as a head coach.

This^^^^
Both coaching staffs are pretty good. The Texans pedigree is equal to any staff except maybe the Patriots and with the addition of Izzo, it just got better here. O'brien seems to get better with each passing season and this could be a great year for him with a new offense and the returning defense. It will be interesting and fun to watch his growth as a head coach.

Personally I think our year is next year with all of our young players, and the Oline issues that will likely be difficult to deal with by the end of the season. I think we make a lot of noise by the end of the year though, and if the TExans can go into the playoffs as a hit team without a lot of key injuries you just never know. Maybe they could be that team that is the best at the right time. It's possible, but more unlikely for this season. I think they have the pieces to be the best team in our division though. I think we can be a top 4 team going into the playoffs if things go right, and if that can happen you just never know. In the next off season I think we address the Oline a lot and will be set to make a huge run as serious SB contenders next year with our receivers being more seasoned along with Oz having a year under his belt with this entire team.

Personally I think our year is next year with all of our young players, and the Oline issues that will likely be difficult to deal with by the end of the season. I think we make a lot of noise by the end of the year though, and if the TExans can go into the playoffs as a hit team without a lot of key injuries you just never know. Maybe they could be that team that is the best at the right time. It's possible, but more unlikely for this season. I think they have the pieces to be the best team in our division though. I think we can be a top 4 team going into the playoffs if things go right, and if that can happen you just never know. In the next off season I think we address the Oline a lot and will be set to make a huge run as serious SB contenders next year with our receivers being more seasoned along with Oz having a year under his belt with this entire team.
I agree.
This year will be fun, but next year could be down right exciting. I'd still love to see the Texans make it this year and play in the first ever home town Super Bowl. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

Just watched the Chargers game.

The Chiefs pose matchup problems on defense. Ware and Kelce need to be neutralized.

Smith is calm and cool and needs to be rattled at every possible moment to disrupt his rhythm.

Their defense looked great in the second half when they were getting pressure and swarming the ball. Not so much in the first half, San Diego was moving the ball at will.

Good test for our team.

We can beat them.

as long as we don't turn the ball over early & give them a short field like we did in the 1st meeting and all throughout the 2nd meeting.......& we put points on the board...something we didn't do in both meetings until it was too late, I think we'll be ok. We have matchup problems with Kelce...especially with Cush going down, but they have match up problems with us now too. Our improved speed all over the field is gonna be a problem for them...Overall, i feel much better about this match up than i felt in the playoff matchup.

Just in case you're bored. ChiefsPlanet

kelcedance.0.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
The one thing. Brian Cushing and Duane Brown are still listed. Max Bullough will start for Brian Cushing and Chris Clark will start for Duane Brown.

After listening to Bill O'brien on his show yesterday, I'm starting to think we have a little more in Brock Osweiller then we thought we have. Brock made a check and called that play at the line that got Will into the end zone. That's good stuff. It wasn't even a check down play but something completely different that was called. Brock was a gun slinger in this game. He was not afraid to send the ball down the field. He was not afraid to put the ball in the tightest windows. One thing. Brock is not Brian. I don't think Brock will give up. He seems to have a drive that the great quarterbacks have. He will not give up. I'm thinking that the Texans could really surprise the Chiefs with this offense. If the Texans get the Chiefs on their heels, it's going to be over. This super fast offense will only get better from week to week and it was pretty good against the bears. Not perfect, but good. I'm starting to think the Texans could run away with this game. Especially since Justin Houston won't be in there and the Chiefs secondary is very young and inexperienced. We could see a very incredible game from our Houston Texans this weekend.

This is our first big challenge. Alex Smith is one exceptional smart quarterback. He doesn't turn the ball over much, his decision making is very decisive and efficient. Coach Andy Reid seem to have our number dating back to his days in Philly.

Defensively they are missing a few huge pieces. But they will get after Brock and try to shut down our running game.

Now in this game we will have to fight fire with fire. The Chiefs likes to play uptempo and get the ball to their playmakers quick. They will attack us the same way they did in our last 2 meetings. Therefore, our defense will have to mitigate that by playing well disciplined defense.

This is a very hard game to call even though we are slated to lose this game.

My Homerism metric says

Houston 37
Chiefs 31

This is our first big challenge. Alex Smith is one exceptional smart quarterback. He doesn't turn the ball over much, his decision making is very decisive and efficient. Coach Andy Reid seem to have our number dating back to his days in Philly.

Defensively they are missing a few huge pieces. But they will get after Brock and try to shut down our running game.

Now in this game we will have to fight fire with fire. The Chiefs likes to play uptempo and get the ball to their playmakers quick. They will attack us the same way they did in our last 2 meetings. Therefore, our defense will have to mitigate that by playing well disciplined defense.

This is a very hard game to call even though we are slated to lose this game.

My Homerism metric says

Houston 37
Chiefs 31

I don't know....honestly I think we will beat them easily. I feel more confident about our team than I ever have. That's not the koolaid talking either. I mean look what our D did with a gimp Watt, IMO he will only get better and stronger. I feel like we have a better team than we ever have. 2-0 BABYYYYYY !

I don't know....honestly I think we will beat them easily. I feel more confident about our team than I ever have. That's not the koolaid talking either. I mean look what our D did with a gimp Watt, IMO he will only get better and stronger. I feel like we have a better team than we ever have. 2-0 BABYYYYYY !

Weren't many saying that same thing before San Diego 2013?

dude, thanks for the link but 3-4 pages was all I could take.
Very little about the game; mostly snipping at each other.
I had to :backsout:

Gawd, I hope we don't sound like that

Holy Schnikes! I had to pin the tab, there is some dude over there bragging about how he ate some PUZZ at the age of 8!! He's defending it as thumbs up 'whats wrong with yall' while others are Evomiting all over the place its actually quite entertaining. Their sports takes are trash, but there's this gem.

So no, TTalk may be a dick measuring contest, but its still devoid of the truly sick.

After reading the KC boards for a bit, I'm convinced they are all inbred. Sick people over there. And the ones that do talk about the game have no idea. One guy posted that KC had beaten the Texans 3 out of their 9 playoff appearances. And no one corrected him. If the Chiefs are as off as their fans, Houston will have no problem with this game. Lol

watt.0.0.gif

Never forget.

How can you forget when douchebag Queef fans pleasure themselves at night to this. You have an average to below average LT who took a blatant cheap shot on the best defensive player in the game who later revealed he was playing with 5 muscles disconnected from his body.

dude, thanks for the link but 3-4 pages was all I could take.
Very little about the game; mostly snipping at each other.
I had to :backsout:

Gawd, I hope we don't sound like that

You should skip to page 10 or so. Most of them got a lot of respect for the Texans, mainly O'b & Watt. They've also taken note of Will Fuller & while I wouldn't say they're scared. The hairs on the backs of their necks are standing up.

Right now I feel like it is more likely we lose this game, but then again we're at home.

Tough game to call. I think KC should be a tough team again this year and in week two, anything can happen. They have a team that has played together for years, and we don't so I give them a slight advantage. We are more than capable of getting the win though.

Agree with Tex, this is a hard game to call. Chiefs are a good team and well coached, but the Texans are young and hungry, should be looking for revenge and home field advantage/fans should count for something. I think our defense will be better than theirs and the offense starts to gel as a unit. Close game.

Chiefs 23
Texans 24

I think the Texans play much better than they did in either game, if only because of the addition by subtraction of not having Hoyer under center.

That being said, the Chiefs are still a very good team. The Texans play better and make the game competitive, something lacking in both games last year directly related to Hoyer's horrible play. But in the end, the Chiefs take a close one. They still have a very good defense and I don't see anyone on the Texans roster that matches up well with Kelce. This young offense is not quite ready to explode yet.

24-21 Not The Texans

Bracket coverage makes sense but 3 guys... very few players deserve that type of attention. Kelce is not in that handful of guys. That ruins your scheme.
Kelce is second only to the Gronk as a tight end. He is big, Strong, runs good routes, gets open and catches the ball in traffic. Why do you think he wouldn't be deserving of having 3 guys bracket him at all times? At least have 2 guys on him every play. The Texans need to make it very hard for Kelce to get the ball. It's the only way to slow him down. He won't be stopped, but he has to be slowed down.
Can you think of another way?

Kelce is second only to the Gronk as a tight end. He is big, Strong, runs good routes, gets open and catches the ball in traffic. Why do you think he wouldn't be deserving of having 3 guys bracket him at all times? At least have 2 guys on him every play. The Texans need to make it very hard for Kelce to get the ball. It's the only way to slow him down. He won't be stopped, but he has to be slowed down.
Can you think of another way?

There were 5 TE's last season that had more catches, yards and TD's than Kelce. There were 3 other TE's in Ertz, Watson and Witten than matched him statistically. He is good. He is not THAT good.

Jeremy Macklin and Jaamal Charles are dangerous too. Slowing Kelce down means Macklin and Charles get more attention from Alex. They are easier to handle then Kelce is. Not saying they are easy to handle, because they're not, but they are not the hand full Kelce is. Alex can be dangerous too. He will run if he sees a crease. The Texans have got to keep Alex in the back field and not lose contain on him. Put Joseph on Macklin. Have KJax cover the other receiver, put Demps in the middle of the back field to cover both ways over the top and watch the quarterback to make an adjustment to help cover where Alex throws the ball, bring Hal up to spy the running back and tight end. Get Covington to seal one edge and Clowney to seal the other. Mercilus, Watt and Wilfork in to collapse the pocket and the Chiefs will have a hard time.

There were 5 TE's last season that had more catches, yards and TD's than Kelce. There were 3 other TE's in Ertz, Watson and Witten than matched him statistically. He is good. He is not THAT good.
For some reason, he seems to be "THAT" good against the Texans. The Texans have to do something differently to keep him contained. What they have been doing didn't work.

For some reason, he seems to be "THAT" good against the Texans. The Texans have to do something differently to keep him contained. What they have been doing didn't work.

THAT doesn't make him great. THAT actually means the Texans were bad with LB pass coverage. This was hardly a secret and teams went after them.

Have they improved this year? We shall see. But bad LB coverage skills last year don't translate to triple-teams this year.

THAT doesn't make him great. THAT actually means the Texans were bad with LB pass coverage. This was hardly a secret and teams went after them.

Have they improved this year? We shall see. But bad LB coverage skills last year don't translate to triple-teams this year.
Well would you say 6th best out of 32 tight ends in the league doesn’t deserve some kind of respect? That's still pretty damn good. He will need to be slowed down however you look at it. Whether he is single, double, or triple teamed, the Texans need to keep him from making big plays.

Last edited:
Well would you say 6th best out of 32 tight ends in the league doesn’t deserve some kind of respect? That's still pretty damn good. He will need to be slowed down however you look at it. Whether he is double teamed or triple teamed, the Texans need to keep him from making big plays.

I'm not arguing that he isn't a good TE. I'm just saying that there was only twice last season he went over 100 yards, and both were against the Texans. There is a reason for that, and it had a lot more to do with the Texans than it does with Kelce. It's not disrespectful to him to say that he plays a position that could exploit the glaring weakness in the Texans defense, and Andy Reid was smart enough to do just that in his play calling.

Back