Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 2: @ Mile High

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
To think a new OC was going to turn this into a respectable offense was extremely naive on that section of the fanbase. There's not enough meat here, and what is worth moving forward is green.
But I do not like green eggs and ham!

Reactions: JB

michaelm

vox nihili
Maybe I need to waffle back to my original stance that, for the sake of Mills' development, it was imperative that they keep Tim Kelly.
I've been a vocal proponent of Mills, but he looks lost af.

I have previously acknowledged that my QB assessment generally sucks, so there's that.

But I thought I was right on Mills.
Now he has a **** load of work to do to prove he should even be starting.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Before the season I was willing to let Mills show us who he is. I think we know now. Can we grab someone off someones practice squad to kick the tyres on?

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This OL is trash. It's the worst OL I've ever seen. HWWNBN is glad his line wasn't this bad.

How in the world is Tunsil this bad? Is it rust or is this what we get?

DanielTx

Veteran
That boy sh*t the bed at the biggest stage last season. No thanks.
Tim Tebow was the best college qb of all time so…

No praise for getting his team that far? Haha he had a hesiman year. It some things you just can’t teach in players and Bryce Young is one of those guys. He didn’t have his best game but football is all about probability. Talk about accuracy, speed, quick decision making, heart and most importantly a winner. You end up with Bryce. He’s going to be a special one

Man I have been very open about letting Mills play all year to see what you have, but I hate that idea. He is not great. And each week it's the same. Missing throws, inaccurate too much, and just bad decisions. We have no choice at this point.
I am fine with letting him play all season. We are only fooling ourselves if we think replacing Mills with any of our back ups or other quarterbacks in free agency will make a big difference in the win column. We are bad in way too many areas. Replacing Mills may get us a few more wins and that just makes us have a pick further down the draft. I just want to see us improve but lose enough games that we are in the top two or three spots of the draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Replacing Mills may get us a few more wins
I'm not seeing that. Can't think of one QB that plays from the pocket that would net additional wins.

Maybe they can get one of these athletic types and maybe pick up an additional win, but the development of the rest of the offense will suffer

TexansFight

Veteran
This offense looks even worse than the Tim Kelly/BOB **** we were fed for years, something I would have never thought. Mills has looked like ****. Pep Hamilton’s offense is a joke and is ******* archaic compared to modern NFL offenses. The routes that the WRs are running are not helping Mills one bit. One of Mills’ strengths is the deep ball and they’re doing nothing to stretch the field. Waste of an afternoon watching that crap.

I'm not seeing that. Can't think of one QB that plays from the pocket that would net additional wins.

Maybe they can get one of these athletic types and maybe pick up an additional win, but the development of the rest of the offense will suffer
Completing more of those misfired throws that Mills makes frequently would for sure put us in a better position to win imo. Mills is not athletic but getting a few plays out of the pocket or getting him on the move may have helped him some. I know he is not known to be athletic or mobile but he has made plays when out of the pocket and showed he is not a statue. Also, why are our offensive coordinators so darned predictable? Just a thought I had and something I have noticed far too often.

Last edited:

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I didn’t have any expectations of this team since I hadn’t really been following for the last couple years. That said, no matter how bad they were last season, when you’re in a position to win late in a game and you come up short it’s only natural to be upset and point out the small things that could’ve led to a victory.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This offense looks even worse than the Tim Kelly/BOB **** we were fed for years, something I would have never thought. Mills has looked like ****. Pep Hamilton’s offense is a joke and is ******* archaic compared to modern NFL offenses. The routes that the WRs are running are not helping Mills one bit. One of Mills’ strengths is the deep ball and they’re doing nothing to stretch the field. Waste of an afternoon watching that crap.
You ain't seen Pep's offense. Right now you haven't seen anything but pieces.

I'm pretty sure Oj Howard is at the top of our TE depth chart by talent & experience, but he's not up to speed yet & neither is Tyler Johnson.

Our starting Center all of training camp has been replaced by an UDFA today.

& if you're honest TimKelly/BO'b offenses never looked this good this early in the season. You may be thinking about their October offense where the play call was something like, "we're sending in two TEs & a RB, see if you can pick up the 1st down."

You ain't seen Pep's offense. Right now you haven't seen anything but pieces.

I'm pretty sure Oj Howard is at the top of our TE depth chart by talent & experience, but he's not up to speed yet & neither is Tyler Johnson.

Our starting Center all of training camp has been replaced by an UDFA today.

& if you're honest TimKelly/BO'b offenses never looked this good this early in the season. You may be thinking about their October offense where the play call was something like, "we're sending in two TEs & a RB, see if you can pick up the 1st down."
I expect to see steady improvement all around as the season progresses. Like Tim Kelly or not, the offense got better late last season. Was it due to Tim Kelly being better at his job? I don't know, but DM and the whole offense did get better. I do think we look better at this early stage in the season than we did at this point last season.

I am really torn. As a fan I would love for us to win a lot of games. However, we need the best possible draft postition to truly make us a long term threat. I just don't see where getting picks later in the draft is a good thing for our team.

We can put lipstick on a pig but it does not stop it from being a pig. Look at the Jacksonville Jaguars and their playoff run in 2017. Since that season they have been among the worst teams in the NFL. I don't want us to be like them. If we make the playoffs I want it to be something we become accustomed to and not just a flash in the pan experience.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
im not even sure the throws are there.. there’s always someone running a route underneath and to save and he’s ALWAYS running to that side. Can’t ever just sit and throw it. Having said that he’s got happy feet.

there are also no scheme tilters outside of Cooks. Need another guy who can get open. Nico aint it.
All that may be true, but the Oline took turns on creating holes................i.e., pathways directly to Mills.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I expect to see steady improvement all around as the season progresses. Like Tim Kelly or not, the offense got better late last season. Was it due to Tim Kelly being better at his job? I don't know, but DM and the whole offense did get better. I do think we look better at this early stage in the season than we did at this point last season.

I am really torn. As a fan I would love for us to win a lot of games. However, we need the best possible draft postition to truly make us a long term threat. I just don't see where getting picks later in the draft is a good thing for our team.

We can put lipstick on a pig but it does not stop it from being a pig. Look at the Jacksonville Jaguars and their playoff run in 2017. Since that season they have been among the worst teams in the NFL. I don't want us to be like them. If we make the playoffs I want it to be something we become accustomed to and not just a flash in the pan experience.
Quoted for truth…thanks for the reminder of what we should be expecting and collectively wanting for sure.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Did you watch Russell Wilson and the Broncos?

badboy

Hall of Fame
He's a ******* bust. He's been trash all game
That's just not correct. He had several bad plays but a few good ones. One flag he was pulling on jersey but vets do that and often get away with it. As a rookie he shouldn't expect to. Another he and WR throwing hands but most times that goes against DB. He needs to learn to not do it at all and neither was a TD saver. I think you are over reacting but there were enough bad plays so I get that.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
That's just not correct. He had several bad plays but a few good ones. One flag he was pulling on jersey but vets do that and often get away with it. As a rookie he shouldn't expect to. Another he and WR throwing hands but most times that goes against DB. He needs to learn to not do it at all and neither was a TD saver. I think you are over reacting but there were enough bad plays so I get that.
I think its important for this defense that Stingley travel with the opponent’s #1 option without help. If he gets help then leaks get exposed elsewhere. Its no coincidence that Wilson was not able to have much success overall as a passer.

Stingley got some “welcome to the NFL” moments today but there is #1 CB talent. He just needs to learn from his mistakes and line up for the next play. He will get a much softer matchup next week against Chicago.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I expect to see steady improvement all around as the season progresses. Like Tim Kelly or not, the offense got better late last season
I'm not arguing with this, in fact this is exactly what I said.
I do think we look better at this early stage in the season than we did at this point last season.
Game 2 last season Tyrod Taylor got hurt against the Browns. Davis came in & the team couldn't cross midfield for weeks & we were wishing Carlos Hyde was still on the team because they guys we had sucked
Draft position really doesn't matter. Your talent evaluators have to be able to evaluate talent & your coaches have to be able to coach.
Look at the Jacksonville Jaguars and their playoff run in 2017. Since that season they have been among the worst teams in the NFL. I don't want us to be like them.
& they've been picking at the top of the draft with all the other bad teams that usually pick at the top of the draft.

I know it's hard to wrap your head around it, but bad teams usually pick at the top of the draft & they continue to be bad teams.

This isn't the NBA, where there are 4 good players in a deep draft. There is generally good talent undrafted in the NFL.

you have to be good at evaluating talent & coaching that talent.

If you're picking in the top 10 three years in a row, odds are you'll be picking in the top 10 in year 4

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think its important for this defense that Stingley travel with the opponent’s #1 option without help. If he gets help then leaks get exposed elsewhere. Its no coincidence that Wilson was not able to have much success overall as a passer.

Stingley got some “welcome to the NFL” moments today but there is #1 CB talent. He just needs to learn from his mistakes and line up for the next play. He will get a much softer matchup next week against Chicago.
As I have no expectation of wins, I am okay with Stingley and Pitre getting experience but I do expect more out of 1.3 than I see. He needs a veteran safety playing over him but where was AJ Murray? He is credited with one tackle and Owens had 10. I think Russell's issues were more related to front 7 than DBs but just my thoughts. I agree that Stingley should cover #1 WR but that guy (Sullivan?) went out first Q IIRC and Derek was having problems with next guy up.

Texansballer74

The Marine
As I have no expectation of wins, I am okay with Stingley and Pitre getting experience but I do expect more out of 1.3 than I see. He needs a veteran safety playing over him but where was AJ Murray? He is credited with one tackle and Owens had 10. I think Russell's issues were more related to front 7 than DBs but just my thoughts. I agree that Stingley should cover #1 WR but that guy (Sullivan?) went out first Q IIRC and Derek was having problems with next guy up.
The next guy up has size and speed. Stingley is going to have his hands full over the course of the season.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It was like that all game. I don't know if he couldn't hear the snap count because he was late out of his stance for the majority of the game or he took a leave with Britt.
I think combination of things: crowd, Gregory, Right Guard and new center Quess appearing to make bad calls. I'm surprised our tackles didn't have 10 off sides.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The next guy up has size and speed. Stingley is going to have his hands full over the course of the season.
That would be Sutton and true but I thought Stephen Nelson defended him? Whom ever.. 4 for 72 @ 18 got whupped! When Jeudy went out and corner Surtain went out I thought " we've got a chance". For second game opponents ran well against us but that did not destroy our defense. For second game our defense ran out of gas.. conditioning? plus Lovie doesn't seem to be rotating as I expected.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Pep is working with what he has, dont know what you guys expect. Texans are so void of talent it's ridiculous. Have you guys watched any other pro games?
This team has nothing/zero for offensive threats.
Pierce was getting yards, and most of his better runs were when the FB was in blocking.
The run game has zero creativity. No traps, pulls…. Nothing and I’ve been beating this drum forever.
the defense is what it is. I think they played just fine today. Got some big plays, kept us in the game.
Denver is gorgeous. People were great. Stadium was pretty loud at times. Their fan base is a tough crowd.
wife and I are now 2-2 on road trips. Win, lose, win, lose. So next year we pick up a win in the road!!