Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 16 - Visiting the Bucs

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So, what'll it be this week? Do we kick their ass? Do they kick our ass? Do we tie? Do outer space aliens kidnap the Bucs forcing a forfeit?

bigmck

Rookie
I don't have the NFL Network. I see the game is on CBS with Rich Eisen calling it with is unusual for him to be at the mike. Are either of the other two Saturday games going to be on anything besides the NFL Network?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't have the NFL Network. I see the game is on CBS with Rich Eisen calling it with is unusual for him to be at the mike. Are either of the other two Saturday games going to be on anything besides the NFL Network?
I think all three games are NFL Network exclusives with the exception of airing the local games for those specific cities.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So, what'll it be this week? Do we kick their ass? Do they kick our ass? Do we tie? Do outer space aliens kidnap the Bucs forcing a forfeit?
First I need to know which Jameis Winston shows up....
:thinking:

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
All three games are on NFL network. You can look on Reddit and see which streams are available for the other 2.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Texans game will be on FOX26 locally.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
This is the game thread. Thanks, Thorn. Kickoff is 12 noon, our time. We are a 3-point favorite, but this is no gimme as it has been in the past. Toros 21, Bucs 17.

Continue your hold out as you see fit sir. No harm no foul.

But we WILL be needing you in the playoffs.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
First I need to know which Jameis Winston shows up....
:thinking:
Normally both show up in the same game. The question is, which one will outdo the other? Bad Jameis normally always shows up on the first drive. Good Jameis normally always shows up late in the 4th QTR. The question is which one will be more prominent in between. Will Bad Jameis do enough damage so that there's too much for Good Jameis to overcome? That's the real question.

BTW, welcome to the bi-polar world of Jameis Winston. :)

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Have a bad feeling about this game. This is the game where the lack of pass-rush really hurts and we lose in the 4th trying to protect a lead.

We still clinch the division, though, as the Titans lose to the Saints on Sunday.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I watched the first half of the Lions/TB. Wow, Lions were AWFUL so hard to really judge much. They kept doing 3 and outs and TB just bombed away to wide open receivers. Safety play by Lions was awful. I have to think we slow them down more then they slow us, but if BOB forces the run too long we could get behind. Ghoulston, Suh were destroying the line of scrimmage against the run. They also blitz a lot and with even 7 guys and Barrett can rush the edge. Need some turnovers and steady long ball control drives. Winston does look like he shakes off those INTs, but can be tricked if changing coverage late

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I watched the first half of the Lions/TB. Wow, Lions were AWFUL so hard to really judge much. They kept doing 3 and outs and TB just bombed away to wide open receivers. Safety play by Lions was awful. I have to think we slow them down more then they slow us, but if BOB forces the run too long we could get behind. Ghoulston, Suh were destroying the line of scrimmage against the run. They also blitz a lot and with even 7 guys and Barrett can rush the edge. Need some turnovers and steady long ball control drives. Winston does look like he shakes off those INTs, but can be tricked if changing coverage late
Then we should do well... most of the time our DB's don't even know what coverage we are running, so Winston can't possibly know!!

In case anyone is wondering - :kitten:

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
LB corps is very banged up. McKinney out, Martin out, Scarlett may be out.
I’m never convinced when I see Peter Kalambayi out there at LB.

worldlyman

Waterboy
I was a kid who grew up in Clearwater before coming to Houston. Went back to the Tampa Bay area quite a few times after my Alief daze, school and work at different times. My mom just moved to Austin last year and she was a HUGE Bucs fan. She's been rooting for the Texans since she moved to Texas but I haven't asked her about the game yet. Hmm.

This will be an interesting game. How will Jameis do without his top receivers? And will be interesting to see Hyde- n-Johnson (and Watson) go after that stout Bucs' run D.

As we recall, it was the Buccaneer franchise that indirectly gave us Deshaun Watson by getting that Fat Albert Haynesworth goon. That injury he put on Schaub back in 2011 was career-altering and forever changed the course of the Texans.

Omerta

Waterboy
This is an interesting game. Both teams are incredibly inconsistent. Both can get according hot and blow the doors if most teams, and certainly each other.

That said, both if their starting WR's are on IR. Their number one is none other than Breshad Perriman. So Texans 42 Bucs 34.

The only thing that scares me is the Texans play to the level of their competition.

DanielTx

Veteran
texans vs bucs will be a good game. I’m going with the Texans because Jameis doesn’t have a go to guy this game and of course, can’t bet against Watson with a stacked offense. Sometimes you have to put yourself in the opposing team shoes and ask how do you stop the Texans offense? 24-33 Texans

Wrighty

Practice Squad
Hi guys first time poster from Australia! Headed over to States tomorrow and hopefully catch The boys in the playoffs.
anyhow with no Evans or Godwin can you guys see a double team on Perriman and make Howard, Watson and Brate beat us?

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
According to ESPN playoff machine we still have a semi realistic chance of getting the 2 seed.

1. We need to win out
2. New England needs to lose to Buffalo AND Miami at home
3. KC needs to lose 1
4. Buffalo needs to lose to New York Jets in last game.

I can see 2 and 3 happening. Its 4 that seems like a long shot but I've seen crazier things happen

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
According to ESPN playoff machine we still have a semi realistic chance of getting the 2 seed.

1. We need to win out
3. KC needs to lose 1

I can see 2 and 3 happening. Its 4 that seems like a long shot but I've seen crazier things happen
I don’t see any of that happening lol

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I was a kid who grew up in Clearwater before coming to Houston. Went back to the Tampa Bay area quite a few times after my Alief daze, school and work at different times. My mom just moved to Austin last year and she was a HUGE Bucs fan. She's been rooting for the Texans since she moved to Texas but I haven't asked her about the game yet. Hmm.

This will be an interesting game. How will Jameis do without his top receivers? And will be interesting to see Hyde- n-Johnson (and Watson) go after that stout Bucs' run D.

As we recall, it was the Buccaneer franchise that indirectly gave us Deshaun Watson by getting that Fat Albert Haynesworth goon. That injury he put on Schaub back in 2011 was career-altering and forever changed the course of the Texans.
I would go so far as to say that if Haynesworth doesnt crush Schaubs foot we win the Super Bowl that year. (i know, i know hyperbole - we were on a roll that year)

if we would have a ring I'd bet most people would be alot more chill than they are now. 20 years of not even an AFCCG is tough to stomach.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I don’t see any of that happening lol
I know it's a long shot but it's possible. Wouldn't be surprised if New England lost to Buffalo and I can see Chicago upsetting KC. Its Miami and the Jets on the road that last week that I have no faith in. But it COULD happen.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I know it's a long shot but it's possible. Wouldn't be surprised if New England lost to Buffalo and I can see Chicago upsetting KC. Its Miami and the Jets on the road that last week that I have no faith in. But it COULD happen.
Yeah, I don't think Miami and the Jets care to win, so it's a long shot.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

1. We need to win out
3. KC needs to lose 1

Ugh... just reminds me that if Texans didn't lose to the Broncos, NE just needs to lose one game and Texans win out to get that #2 seed.

It further reminds me if I didn't lose to a bottom-feeder in my fantasy league on the last weekend of the regular season, I would have also had the #2 seed & first round bye, and I'd be in the championship game this weekend. Instead, I got kicked out of the first round and will finish 6th in the league. Bye weeks are huge!!!

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would go so far as to say that if Haynesworth doesnt crush Schaubs foot we win the Super Bowl that year. (i know, i know hyperbole - we were on a roll that year)

if we would have a ring I'd bet most people would be alot more chill than they are now. 20 years of not even an AFCCG is tough to stomach.
I know it's a different franchise, but 50+ years without a Houston pro football team even making it to a SB is tough to stomach. It's been four decades since this city had a team in even a conference championship game.

If the Texas could just get to the AFC conference championship to get their butts kicked by Baltimore, I think a lot of Houston football fans would at least be pacified for this off-season.

I always wondered how that season would have turned out of Schaub had stayed healthy for the post-season. Just about every phase of the team was kicking butt. It's a damn shame, but that's football.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I know it's a different franchise, but 50+ years without a Houston pro football team even making it to a SB is tough to stomach. It's been four decades since this city had a team in even a conference championship game.

If the Texas could just get to the AFC conference championship to get their butts kicked by Baltimore, I think a lot of Houston football fans would at least be pacified for this off-season.

I always wondered how that season would have turned out of Schaub had stayed healthy for the post-season. Just about every phase of the team was kicking butt. It's a damn shame, but that's football.
We still even had a chance with Leinart. :(

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

Hard to believe that’s been 8 years ago. I remember watching that game in a sports bar in Austin with another friend from Houston.

The next Texans Bucs game 4 years ago was during Winston”s rookie season and didn’t Ryan Mallet have a career day?

It’s going to be very weird for me tomorrow being at Ray Jay with the Texans in town. My tailgating buddies are doing a Texas themed BBQ thing. I should find some St Arnold’s or Shiner and bring it tomorrow.

Bugman7star

All Pro
They better be ready to play if they want to gain momentum moving into the post season. I don't want to watch a bunch of BS like the Denver game. BoB made this a win now season with all of those trades. So beat the dang Bucs.

worldlyman

Waterboy

They were a juggernaut that season on both offense and defense. They couldn't be stopped. To see Foster slice defenses up the middle, or catch a 3 yard pass then take it 60 yards...or see Matt throw darts-n-bombs to Andre or Walter. Best o-line. JJ was a one-man wrecking ball. Yeah, they would have at least gotten to the Super Bowl that year and be established. Andre is on record saying that had Schaub never gotten hurt, they would have won it all.

If Schaub didn't have that injury, they would have been much more competitive against the Patriots in 2012. It hurt to see Matt physically finally wearing out from that lisfranc break at the end of 2012 and couldn't throw the ball more than 12 yards anymore.

I enjoy science fiction and alternate universe storylines. We might wonder how that may have played out there had Matt never been injured: Super Bowls. But probably by 2016 or '17, maybe Schaub was trending down and we would have needed a replacement already and with a different pick order, Watson would have gone to...somewhere else.

But on Nov 11, 2011 in this universe, that is the day destiny set in motion the events that would send us Deshaun Watson in time. In the Twilight Zone...

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Bringing George Strait tequila and Topo Chico to the tailgate party tomorrow. Maybe Frito Pie as well. It’s a Texas theme so what’s more Texan than Frito Pie?

Reactions: ROO

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Bringing George Strait tequila and Topo Chico to the tailgate party tomorrow. Maybe Frito Pie as well. It’s a Texas theme so what’s more Texan than Frito Pie?
Tamales and meat gravy. And guacamole and salsa.

Great. It's one frickin thirty in the morning and I want tex-mex. I gotta quit getting stoned in the middle of the night.