Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 16: Chargers @ Texans

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Consider Texans roster like the Senior Bowl. Evaluate, put in some work, study and draw rational draft board. Put yourself in GM Nick Caserio shoes with Cal looking over your shoulder :mcclain:

Mangler

Toro de España
This drive was absolute garbage. Run for 2 yard gain, Sack, dump off to Burkhead for loss. Just horrid play calling!

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Not to be "that guy" but money makes for a good band aid.

Not that I believe one way or another but.. appearances can be maintained through finance.

Whether they would be willing to throw a bunch of cash at him for appearances.... guess that depends what you believe about them... but it wouldn't be the first time someone was paid to put on a happy face. Also wouldnt be the first time the "professionals" in the media got it wrong either.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
How 'bout that? Looks like Santa brought the Texans a run game for Christmas. And after 7 weeks of not being here, Mark Ingram is no longer the Texans leading rusher for the season.

Man, how long has it been since the Texans put together 4 quarters like that? Doesn't really do much in a lost season, but still nice to see when it happens regardless.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not to be "that guy" but money makes for a good band aid.

Not that I believe one way or another but.. appearances can be maintained through finance.

Whether they would be willing to throw a bunch of cash at him for appearances.... guess that depends what you believe about them... but it wouldn't be the first time someone was paid to put on a happy face. Also wouldnt be the first time the "professionals" in the media got it wrong either.
It’s possible Andre felt he was backing the wrong horse after 22 civil suits were filed.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Almost get the sense that Cal had a sit-down w
It’s possible Andre felt he was backing the wrong horse after 22 civil suits were filed.
Bingo. AJ's an icon of the franchise and was a player & his recent critical public comments read as a player. But he was always on the outside of everything when it came to how things went & have gone since he retired. & as such he most likely has only really had 1 side....the player's side. So after the civil suits dropped, i'm sure at the very least he felt silly for perhaps blindly backing DW4.

In that regard, I could easily see a situation where AJ & Cal had a let bygones be bygones meeting/dinner in which gaps were filled in & things were explained to him that he may not have known.....that paint the perceived dysfunction that many of us & the media view it as in a whole other light. At the very least he could've gotten some clarity on the whole of the situation that allowed him to take a step back and rethink how he previously viewed things.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Don’t know about you, but I wouldnt be hanging with someone I had issues with...let alone sitting in between like a child.
Depends what they pay. Everyone has a price to put personal feelings aside.

Again.... I am not saying its one way ir the other.

But the picture was posted as if it were irrefutable evidence that everything is good.

All I did is play devils advocate and pose that there ARE other possibilities. Not that I believe one thing or another.

I just know we arent seeing behind the scenes. Is it possible the "experts" got it wrong? Yes. Is it possible that AJ is just putting on a "happy face" yes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The McNair’s don’t have a HOF vote.
Nope, but McClain carries a lot of power on the election committee. If the McNair's dont want AJ in the HOF, McClain isn't going to bat for AJ, say like he did for Moon.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Down, distance, clock, other - none of this matters. Read the photo. The LOS is somewhere around the 35. The defender is outside the right hash mark. And look at his feet. The receiver is between the hash marks, running at full speed with a slight slant toward the left, away from the defender. The receiver has that defender beat for 15 yds, or a TD if he can beat the deep safety.

Ideally the pass needs to be over the receivers left shoulder away from the defender, but this would be an extremely difficult pass with Mills on the right hash mark. Mills needs to drill the pass to the receivers right shoulder.

If this is not enough for a 1st down, you are now in short field goal range.

This is an easy completion that Mills should be capable of completing if he is too be our future starter. He and the receivers just need to be reading the defense.
You're right, los is about the 331/2. No telling what down. Mills is not quite complete in his dropback, looking like he has a step orhalf step remaining and feet position and passing window going to align for top receiver on an out... you're assuming and so am I and that's fine. Point is you can't make a definitive determination based on one still shot

vtech9

All Pro
See this what I don't understand. Zoom in on the receivers. All of them are intent and engaged in running their route. None of them are looking for or expecting the ball at this precise moment. Zoom in on Mills. He's ready to throw but is waiting on his receivers. That receiver between the hashes should be aware how open he is and be showing anticipation. Mills should be hitting him in full stride right now.

This is not on Mills. He can't "throw them open" because they are not expecting the ball. This is all on the receivers and the coaching.
When I watch the games, I don't get the Houston announcers. The announcers that I get have mentioned several times about there not being a dump off option available. On the play shown, I didn't see any dump options there either. The receivers were also focused on their routes, that if there had been any pressure, Mills would have either been sacked, or had to run for it. This is one of the problems I see with our OC. If the offensive line holds theIr blocks long enough, it's all good. However, our offensive line hasn't proven to be able to hold their blocks that long on a regular basis.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
When I watch the games, I don't get the Houston announcers. The announcers that I get have mentioned several times about there not being a dump off option available. On the play shown, I didn't see any dump options there either. The receivers were also focused on their routes, that if there had been any pressure, Mills would have either been sacked, or had to run for it. This is one of the problems I see with our OC. If the offensive line holds theIr blocks long enough, it's all good. However, our offensive line hasn't proven to be able to hold their blocks that long on a regular basis.
The still only shows ten players as well, maybe there is a back in the right flat out of the pic who is a dump off. A still does not say much. I could be saying Charlie Heck is all set to push his guy around the QB now too with that lean and footwork, but I suspect he just got his ass beat

The still only shows ten players as well, maybe there is a back in the right flat out of the pic who is a dump off. A still does not say much. I could be saying Charlie Heck is all set to push his guy around the QB now too with that lean and footwork, but I suspect he just got his ass beat
There are 11 players in the image, the RB is blocking right next to the LG. The image you saw is a screen shot from the video that was shared so the resolution is not the best. You can see the play at the 10:42 mark of the video. Earl34's Post with Video

This dovetails into an important point.

We have not watched a Texans quarterback succeed according to the intended design of the plays or the game script since Matt Schaub. Watson regularly relied on improvisation for big plays after the original play design ran its course. It's one reason he threw to Hopkins so much. Sure, hero ball won games, but it was unreliable, inconsistent, and it covered up weaknesses that would kill us against better teams.

Mills is executing the plays as designed, so we're starting to see consistency in the number of consecutive completions and the completion percentage. It's actual game management.
I agree to a point, but you confused me a bit in your post (bolded). There are so many factors that contribute to the success of a play. I just wish they could get the OL right, then it wouldn't matter if it was hero ball or zero ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There are 11 players in the image, the RB is blocking right next to the LG. The image you saw is a screen shot from the video that was shared so the resolution is not the best. You can see the play at the 10:42 mark of the video. Earl34's Post with Video
So it was 3rd & 8.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the routes on that play. Nothing wrong with the play call.

Heck does get beat. He's playing against a wide 9, guesses on the wrong angle & didn't have the time to compensate. Cheron is dealing with the same thing on the other side, but since there's a TE on his side, it's much easier to anticipate the angle the edge rusher takes.

Scharping does a really good job here.

So does Britt & Toner

Number19

Hall of Fame
Also I see only 10 defensive players as well.