Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 15 - Chief Boyardee vs Texans

Here's Green getting assaulted on the bull rush against the Commanders. Sure, it's Jonathan Allen and he's a great inside Dlineman. But nobody should get pushed back that easily on a straight bull rush. A prime example of the lack of strength Green possesses. This has been happening all year.

Do you not understand the word "injury"? With an injured shoulder/Pec, you don't have the strength, nor leverage for that matter, on the injured side to be able to stop those bull rushes? The Texans were hoping he could play through it, but defenses have taken advantage of his injury, and used it against him. That's on the coaches for continuing to play him when he should have been recovering. Unfortunately, we didn't have another OG that was better than an injured Green.

Here's Green getting assaulted on the bull rush against the Commanders. Sure, it's Jonathan Allen and he's a great inside Dlineman. But nobody should get pushed back that easily on a straight bull rush. A prime example of the lack of strength Green possesses. This has been happening all year.

Yep, this is what it looks like when you're going up against a guy like Allen with one arm. On another note, wouldn't it be great to have a guy like Allen/Payne in the middle of the DL next to Collins.

Do you not understand the word "injury"? With an injured shoulder/Pec, you don't have the strength, nor leverage for that matter, on the injured side to be able to stop those bull rushes? The Texans were hoping he could play through it, but defenses have taken advantage of his injury, and used it against him. That's on the coaches for continuing to play him when he should have been recovering. Unfortunately, we didn't have another OG that was better than an injured Green.
I understand completely. I also understand he was fit to play on Sunday and his subpar combine results and reports of a doughy frame. So again, I think the injury was a major contributing factor for the terrible performance, but I think Green lacks upper body strength and that contributes mightily as well. From what I read here, people are willing to put 100% of the blame on Green performance bc of the injury, and I'm just not convinced that is the case.

Yep, this is why I'm hoping Caserio drafts 2 guys that have played both C/OG. Maybe they both end up as starters beating out Cann, maybe not but if Caserio comes out of this draft with a long term answer at center and OG I will be happy. I also hope he can find a big run stuffing DT and an edge in the draft. Given the depth of this draft this should be able to be accomplished.

Yes it would! Jalen Carter???? 🤷‍♂️

Best DT at 1-1 if a trade down couldn't happen.
Best Edge at 1-13
Best C at 2-32
Best OG at 3-65
Best TE at 3-80.

A trench draft that would set the foundation for the future. Would Caserio need to add a WR? Yes, but I think he could trade up into the 3rd for a WR with speed to stretch the field. Then look for the QB/WR combo in the 2024 draft.

Mods may need to move this to the draft section.

Yep, this is why I'm hoping Caserio drafts 2 guys that have played both C/OG. Maybe they both end up as starters beating out Cann, maybe not but if Caserio comes out of this draft with a long term answer at center and OG I will be happy. I also hope he can find a big run stuffing DT and an edge in the draft. Given the depth of this draft this should be able to be accomplished.
Agreed. I like Jalen Carter, but I'm not sold on Ika though. Ika looks like the big run stuffing DT, but just doesn't have the athleticism I want to see. I think Bressee is overrated. I've watched Bressee get controlled one-on-one by average OL, and then have an occasional decent play. I can't recall Bressee drawing many double teams either, and that tells me alot. At least Ika draws double teams because of his size. If not for Murphy, Bressee probably wouldn't even be in the conversation as a 1st round pick.

Best Edge at 1-13
Best C at 2-32
Best OG at 3-65
Best TE at 3-80.

A trench draft that would set the foundation for the future. Would Caserio need to add a WR? Yes, but I think he could trade up into the 3rd for a WR with speed to stretch the field. Then look for the QB/WR combo in the 2024 draft.

You know, that's not a bad plan. I also wouldn't mind swapping #1 picks from interested party from 1-1 and getting another #1 pick in 2024 plus #2/#3 this year, taking a guy like Anthony Richardson with either the swapped #1 or Cleveland #1, and then following that plan. That way, the team has a big upside guy sit on the bench and get proper developmental time. If Mills keeps improving, he can be traded himself for picks or kept... Bring in some competition as well. Just a thought.

Agreed. I like Jalen Carter, but I'm not sold on Ika though. Ika looks like the big run stuffing DT, but just doesn't have the athleticism I want to see. I think Bressee is overrated. I've watched Bressee get controlled one-on-one by average OL, and then have an occasional decent play. I can't recall Bressee drawing many double teams either, and that tells me alot. At least Ika draws double teams because of his size. If not for Murphy, Bressee probably wouldn't even be in the conversation as a 1st round pick.

I dont watch much Clemson football.

Dont like their trash program.

You know, that's not a bad plan. I also wouldn't mind swapping #1 picks from interested party from 1-1 and getting another #1 pick in 2024 plus #2/#3 this year, taking a guy like Anthony Richardson with either the swapped #1 or Cleveland #1, and then following that plan. That way, the team has a big upside guy sit on the bench and get proper developmental time. If Mills keeps improving, he can be traded himself for picks or kept... Bring in some competition as well. Just a thought.
Iwill defer to Bigleeez on this one, he says Richardson is a 3rd/4th rd pick. That's the earliest I would look to take on a massive project like Richardson and I wouldn't even draft him that early except if I already had an offense shaped around a guy like LJ/Fields.

Iwill defer to Bigleeez on this one, he says Richardson is a 3rd/4th rd pick. That's the earliest I would look to take on a massive project like Richardson and I wouldn't even draft him that early except if I already had an offense shaped around a guy like LJ/Fields.
Fair enough. Maybe #1 round is too high so it depends on spot. However, my ultimately point is that I wouldn't be adverse to getting a high ceiling project like Richardson and having him sit for the right price while we build the roster as you suggest. I still think Mills has the arm talent to become a pretty good NFL Qb if he's developed properly. At least for now, good enough to bridge until the right QB fit is in place and the roster is in a better spot. Then you see where you at... all the while you properly develop a high-upside guy like Richardson and perhaps you hit the jackpot. Maybe 2nd round is better if he there. But some mock have Richardson going in the Top 10/

Fair enough. Maybe #1 round is too high so it depends on spot. However, my ultimately point is that I wouldn't be adverse to getting a high ceiling project like Richardson and having him sit for the right price while we build the roster as you suggest. I still think Mills has the arm talent to become a pretty good NFL Qb if he's developed properly. At least for now, good enough to bridge until the right QB fit is in place and the roster is in a better spot. Then you see where you at... all the while you properly develop a high-upside guy like Richardson and perhaps you hit the jackpot. Maybe 2nd round is better if he there. But some mock have Richardson going in the Top 10/

Just curious, what mocks have him going in the top 10.

Just curious, what mocks have him going in the top 10.
Here's one from Pro Football network having Richardson going #5 to the Lions! This doesn't make sense to me because if the Lions end up extending Goff, Richardson is probably a wasted selection. If they move on from Goff, which they can after this season, Lions need a more NFL ready QB. So not sure why he would be mocked here. Anyway, maybe Richardson is this year's Malik Willis who had all that Top 12 talk last year because of the tools and ended up falling to the 3rd round.

Exactly. People seem to discount the pec/shoulder injury he received in the Raider game. He was playing pretty good up to that point, and should have been given time to recover. Instead, our glorious coaching staff kept sending him out there, and his game suffered. Given time to recover, and a full offseason to strengthen up, I'm sure he will turn out to be a very good player for years to come here in Houston.
How much time will there be to strengthen? First priority is to get the pec healed. But he should be hungry to prove himself.

Will possibly be inactive Saturday for the second consecutive week for an ankle issue. Lovie has said he expects him to play before season's end. Why?

How much time will there be to strengthen? First priority is to get the pec healed. But he should be hungry to prove himself.

Will possibly be inactive Saturday for the second consecutive week for an ankle issue. Lovie has said he expects him to play before season's end. Why?
Yeah, not much reason to put him back in there. Let him heal, and start his journey for next season.

Agree and was Interested in ika in late 2nd early 3rd, however his play over this season deteriorated. Part of that I think was being new at Baylor and offenses learning how to negate him this season. Also from what I can tell his weight has bloomed from approximately 340 to 360 and I think conditioning is going to be something he desperately needs but may not attain. Here is a description I agree with.

Here's one from Pro Football network having Richardson going #5 to the Lions! This doesn't make sense to me because if the Lions end up extending Goff, Richardson is probably a wasted selection. If they move on from Goff, which they can after this season, Lions need a more NFL ready QB. So not sure why he would be mocked here. Anyway, maybe Richardson is this year's Malik Willis who had all that Top 12 talk last year because of the tools and ended up falling to the 3rd round.

Thinking is Richardson would train under Goff. The problem I see with that is when you have a vet like goff or Aaron Rodgers , drafting someone to be the replacement doesn't always work out well.

Green with knee, shoulder and now ankle in year one.

Best Edge at 1-13
Best C at 2-32
Best OG at 3-65
Best TE at 3-80.

I believe WR, Quinten Johnston (TCU) jumps to #1 WR if his 40 time is in the low 4.4's. If a WR is a high priority.....QJ is going to be off the board inside the top 8 picks.

As for a DT....Mazi Smith (Michigan) has the size and athleticism to be pretty special in the defensive trenches. His recent misdemeanor gun charge could help drop his stock which could help the Texans get an impact DT a little later. On a side note.....Harbaugh will not be suspending defensive team captain Mazi for the bowl game.

Back