Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 12 vs. Jets

Number19

Hall of Fame
Just take the best players if Caserio is unable to trade down and the real talent in this yrs draft is on the defensive side of the ball. It's not like the defense couldn't use an influx of talent. I'm hoping Caserio can find 1 or 2 upgrades in the draft/FA in the interior OL positions and Tunsil comes back and is healthy all yr next yr. I actually thought Taylor looked pretty good today and I hope they bring him back.
What did we give up - 5 or 6 sacks? Where were they coming from? Listening on the radio you don't have that visual picture.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What did we give up - 5 or 6 sacks? Where were they coming from? Listening on the radio you don't have that visual picture.
They were blitzing a lot. It’s not necessarily the OL but protection as a whole. Hard to blame OL personnel when we basically started with a completely new OL.

Scharping back on the right side.. McCray started the game. Lane Thomas at LG. Titus 1st start at LT. Against a blitz happy team

Number19

Hall of Fame
They were blitzing a lot. It’s not necessarily the OL but protection as a whole. Hard to blame OL personnel when we basically started with a completely new OL.

Scharping back on the right side.. McCray started the game. Lane Thomas at LG. Titus 1st start at LT. Against a blitz happy team
And you know this will be the case for the remaining games. So put Mills in and have Pep work specifically on blitz recognition, which shouldn't be as hard, and play execution for the blit pickup, which is more difficult to learn. This would set him up for next off season and training camp. Winning is no longer as important or the primary goal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Winning is no longer as important or the primary goal.
Winning is always most important & the primary goal.

I don’t think Taylor improves our chances any. Shouldn’t be a hard sell. Not that Mills gives us a better chance, only that Tyrod doesn’t move the needle.

I have no problem starting Mills the rest of the way.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Only reason I was interested in the game is because I have EJ Moore on my fantasy team. He’s been a nice surprise lol

Number19

Hall of Fame
Howard/Morrisey/McCray were pretty bad today.

The OL was terrible at picking up blitzes. The RB's were bad at blitz pickup. I watched Burkhead screw up twice in blitz pickup.
So, is Heck still looking pretty good? If so, it seems to be our 3 interior linemen which needs to be prioritized going into the draft and free agency.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
So, is Heck still looking pretty good? If so, it seems to be our 3 interior linemen which needs to be prioritized going into the draft and free agency.
I don't think so.
He was already graded poorly by PFF prior to the game.

I will have to study the game, but for now, remember that sack he gave up right off the bat that I mentioned earlier?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think so.
He was already graded poorly by PFF prior to the game.

I will have to study the game, but for now, remember that sack he gave up right off the bat that I mentioned earlier?
I'm sure your analysis will be what PFF tells you.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Winning is no longer as important or the primary goal.
Winning hasn’t been the primary goal since this regime took over. It’s just that it took some of y’all 12 weeks into the regular season to finally realize it.

I don’t think Taylor improves our chances any. Shouldn’t be a hard sell. Not that Mills gives us a better chance, only that Tyrod doesn’t move the needle.

I have no problem starting Mills the rest of the way.
They won 4 games with DW4 at QB. It doesn’t matter who the QB is on this team, the team is not good.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
No juice around here for a "Takeaways from the Jets game" thread I guess. LOL

Texans 202 total yards, 3.7 yards per play
2nd half - 45 total yards, 2.2 YPP
After Texans took a 14-3 lead at 10:29 to go in the 1st half, they had 65 total yards the rest of the game.

Texans RBs - 66 yards, 3.0 YPC
Cooks 2nd half - 2 targets, 1 rec, 4 yds
Taylor 2nd half - 5-9, 55.5%, 24 yards, 2.6 Y/A.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

After Texans took a 14-3 lead at 10:29 to go in the 1st half, they had 65 total yards the rest of the game.

That's a tank job well done. :spit:

dream_team

Hall of Fame

3 YPC against arguably the worst rushing defense in the league. Awesome!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do not ASSUME. :) :brando:

PFF had good grades for Tunsil; I didn't quite agree.
I stand corrected

PFF stats only hold up for the players you like.

I'm guessing you cant see how much worse the OL has looked without Britt/Tunsil because PFF didn't tell you and you either dont watch the games or only see what you want to see.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I really don't understand why they changed the offensive line like that.
I'm thinking the braintrust was trying to upgrade the run blocking. But, it could have been a "culture" thing. I guess the real question is, would it have made a difference if they had left it as it was? It's not as if the other guys had never had a bad game picking up blitzes.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm thinking the braintrust was trying to upgrade the run blocking. But, it could have been a "culture" thing. I guess the real question is, would it have made a difference if they had left it as it was? It's not as if the other guys had never had a bad game picking up blitzes.
I believe it would’ve been a difference in the passing game. But then again it could’ve been the same results. Next season can’t get here fast enough.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The main point is they did not give up a sack no matter what the conditions was. Especially against a pretty darn good team in the Titans.
I got your point.

To me there wasn't really that much difference in the OL play this week vs last week. (Still really bad) The run blocking was a little better. (Still really bad) and the pass pro was speaking for itself bad this week.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
3.0 yds/carry is below their season average of 3.2. Any way you look at it, the blocking, running, and scheme are grossly inadequate. 32nd in rushing yards. 32nd in yds/carry. In other words, butt naked last in running the football.
I'm not a big numbers guy, but the team I see on the field is very representative of those numbers. One of the worst run blocking teams I've seen. Even worse than the 2002 Texans or the Derrick rookie yr OL's.