Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson through 3 Games

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Watson, and the rest of the league's QB's, through 6 games - according to PFF..

Ranking all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks after Week 6 of the 2020 season

Look who's just ahead of Watson on that list .....

And What's his ranking based upon ? 17 Big Time throws ? Great .... now how about some sustained drives?
Watson's worst games are crippling — he had three performances earn PFF grades in the 40s in 2019 alone

Reactions: JB

76Texan

Hall of Fame

And What's his ranking based upon ? 17 Big Time throws ? Great .... now how about some sustained drives?
[ URL unfurl="true"]https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-monson-ranking-all-32-starting-quarterbacks-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season[/URL]
Yeah, but did Tannehill face the same level of defense so far?
That's a key to your argument the last two games, isn't it?

Look at the double standard. :kitten:

austins23

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but did Tannehill face the same level of defense so far?
Nope. He's played the Broncos, Vikings, Jaguars, Bills (only decent D), and the Texans.
And against the Bills, 4 of those TD's started inside the Bills 30 yard line (16 yd line, 30 yd line, 18 yd line and 12 yd line). Tannehill had 3 TD's, under 200 yards because of that. Is Tannehill playing well, yes. The Tacks are like 13-3 or something like that in the last 16 games with Tannehill starting. I think I heard that stat right the other day.

Let's see how the Tacks fare against the Steelers tomorrow.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Nope. He's played the Broncos, Vikings, Jaguars, Bills (only decent D), and the Texans.
And against the Bills, 4 of those TD's started inside the Bills 30 yard line (16 yd line, 30 yd line, 18 yd line and 12 yd line). Tannehill had 3 TD's, under 200 yards because of that. Is Tannehill playing well, yes. The Tacks are like 13-3 or something like that in the last 16 games with Tannehill starting. I think I heard that stat right the other day.

Those teams are very similar offensively .... might be the most interesting game of the week.

That one's gonna be like stepping into a time machine ...

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Looks like you accidentally left out the second part of the sentence. Here you go.

“Watson's worst games are crippling — he had three performances earn PFF grades in the 40s in 2019 alone — but if he can cut them out, his baseline is already up with the best in the league.”

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Tannie really had some sustained drives against the Bills there, didn't he?
:brando:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Looks like you accidentally left out the second part of the sentence. Here you go.

“Watson's worst games are crippling — he had three performances earn PFF grades in the 40s in 2019 alone — but if he can cut them out, his baseline is already up with the best in the league.”
Something to do with "selective" I was told. :kitten::corrosion:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If any QB could cut out their bad games they would look great.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Uhhhm. I thought you were a fan of him to? Didn't you post scouting reports suggesting we should draft him?
I put him in a couple of mocks in the 2nd/3rd rd. I never thought he was anything more than an upside flier. I also put Chad Kelly in mocks. Jimmy G and proposed trades for moving up and drafting different QB's throughout the yrs. Earl's fascination with trying to prove me wrong as somehow defending DW4 is really laughable.

I mean how many people go back and look at mock drafts from 5-10 yrs ago to try to prove another poster wrong? I've been far more right in my mocks than wrong and his Peterman fetish is all out of context.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I've got zero issue with where Tannehill and Watson are ranked respective to one another this season so far..

I just found it funny considering the backlash I got when I said he was playing better than Watson ....

Same here. No issue with Tannehill. The debate is when you read poster(s) make it seem like QBs rated below Watson are an upgrade.
Tannehill was one of those most had below Watson as recently as last week.

Jackson 5-1 behind a 1-5 Watson ?! Drew Brees at 20 ? Hmmm ... that don't pass the smell test.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Same here. No issue with Tannehill. The debate is when you read poster(s) make it seem like QBs rated below Watson are an upgrade.
What gets me is they’re saying Tannehill is in a different class, a higher tier. But PFF says one is 5 & the other is six. One is the best QB in the league next to Mahomes, the other is a reclamation project.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Tannehill is in a much better situation and he hasn’t played the Texans schedule. We played three power house teams in a row. I wonder how Tanny and the Titans would’ve performed if they played our schedule?

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I put him in a couple of mocks in the 2nd/3rd rd. I never thought he was anything more than an upside flier. I also put Chad Kelly in mocks. Jimmy G and proposed trades for moving up and drafting different QB's throughout the yrs. Earl's fascination with trying to prove me wrong as somehow defending DW4 is really laughable.

I mean how many people go back and look at mock drafts from 5-10 yrs ago to try to prove another poster wrong? I've been far more right in my mocks than wrong and his Peterman fetish is all out of context.
It's okay @steelbtexan. It's not like someone hired you to be their GM and you missed some picks. The great Bill Polian claimed he would take AJ McCarron over Watson, Mahomes or any QB in the 2017 draft. So you're in good company with your QB evaluations.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I just found it funny considering the backlash I got when I said he was playing better than Watson ....

Tannehill was one of those most had below Watson as recently as last week.

Jackson 5-1 behind a 1-5 Watson ?! Drew Brees at 20 ? Hmmm ... that don't pass the smell test.
Playing against bad to mediocre defense don't count. That was what you said about Watson's last few games.
In the same vein, none of Tannehill's game mean squat.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's okay @steelbtexan. It's not like someone hired you to be their GM and you missed some picks. The great Bill Polian claimed he would take AJ McCarron over Watson, Mahomes or any QB in the 2017 draft. So you're in good company with your QB evaluations.
I'm on record as wanting Mahomes and said at the time they should do what it takes to trade up and get him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tannehill is in a much better situation and he hasn’t played the Texans schedule. We played three power house teams in a row. I wonder how Tanny and the Titans would’ve performed if they played our schedule?
Well, starting last December they played us (Division winner), New England (Division winner), & Baltimore (Division winner) & Kansas City. He didn’t have one bad game.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The 1st part of the OP is fact. Watson is not good enough for now to not hold the ball too long. And if he runs to the left, he is much less effective than the right. He is more prone to force the throws when he should take the sack or throw it away. Too many sacks and INTs against good Ds or if he gets pressure on him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Since it has been opened up for him DW4's play has greatly improved. No ints in the last 3 games, ill-advised throws are down to a minimum and he's not holding the ball forever & just in general taking bad sacks trying to make something happen downfield that's not there. He's also been much more decisive. The numbers &................ film bear it out. Tannehill's not necessarily playing better, he's just in a better situation. When they went head to head, Tannehill pretty much blew the game for them with that int he threw...............but then he looked over & saw our defense & :drool: .

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member