Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson through 3 Games

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
2 runs, 3rd and 7, it does put you behind the sticks when your ol can't block my 85 yr old dad. Did you see the pocket the next play?
Again, the run game wasn't the only thing putting them behind the sticks. Incomplete passes, taking bad sacks were AS equal if not more culpable for getting behind the sticks as well.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Eat it/throw it away. Would’ve been a long shot given how our defense has been playing but you continue to play the field position game..You don’t force it in a situation like that even though his throw was essentially like a punt. The int was more than just a TO..it gave the momentum back to Pitt.

If you watch that play, DW4 had DJ31 AND Fells running wide open by themselves in front of him. Sure, they were t going to get 15 yards for a 1st down but 7-8 possibly 10, can get them on the edge of FG range. You take what the defense gives you in that situation over a force downfield. In addition to this, HE WAS UNDER NO IMMEDIATE PRESSURE...yet he left the pocket...

This is early in the play..easy dump off there to Akins on his left or DJ31 on his right. As you can see, the ball is on the 43. Get the ball in your playmakers’ hands..perhaps they can make someone miss and you’re on the edge of FG range.

View attachment 6682

Here it is a few secs later. Tunsil I’m assuming thinks he’s gotten rid of the ball so Dupree comes free late..& DW4 still hasn’t gotten rid of the ball. Akins and DJ31 are still running pretty much by themselves. Easy check down there and no need to force the ball downfield like he wound up doing.
View attachment 6683
This was when Watson almost wanted to throw the deep route; you wanted him to take the dump off already.

Don't try to go back on your own words.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I just want people to watch the tape. Watch the declaration of pass or run by the offense early. Also watch the static of the offense. Then go watch the motion and the space created by KC.
You cannot compare what KC can & does do with anyone else in the league for a multitude of reasons...The biggest reason? #15 and what he is physically able to do that most guys simply can't.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And he should've......b/c what did he end up doing afterwards? Running for his life.
No, that was not what Brady, Brees, Rogers, or Wilson did in all of the plays I mentioned in the other thread.
They did not go to the check down first.
They always tried to go deep.
Some actually go deep, taking over 3 seconds, one took 4 seconds.
There were at least one ball into double coverage.

What you suggested never happened in real life with those QBs.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You cannot compare what KC can & does do with anyone else in the league for a multitude of reasons...The biggest reason? #15 and what he is physically able to do that most guys simply can't.
That's not the point. Reid creates so much space through formations, shifts and motions. Every qb he's coached had career yrs under him. When he gets a uber talent like Mahomes, it's like he's toying with everyone. Think about McNabb, Kevin Kolb, Vick, Smith, and now Mahomes. Why have all those qbs had career yrs under Reid? How come he can find Westbrook, McCoy, Hunt, and now Clyde? What about te? Lewis, Ertz, Kelce? Because he know how to design offense. Hell, they went 3-1 with Matt Moore last yr.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I just want people to watch the tape. Watch the declaration of pass or run by the offense early. Also watch the static of the offense. Then go watch the motion and the space created by KC.
Remember the play where I mentioned the Chiefs set it up to look like a screen pass to the RB, but then sneaked Kelce back the other way for an easy pass.
I've seen variations of it when Art Briles was at UH with Keenum.

I had mentioned on the original TT Board back in Kubiak's early years that I wouldn't mind if he and Briles share some football talks with one another.
I thought Briles was quite innovative with his blocking scheme and play design.

Some may think that the Cougars were an Air Raid team, but at times, they had 3 RBs in the backfield.
Dabo Sweeney may have looked at some of those stuffs, one never knows.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Remember the play where I mentioned the Chiefs set it up to look like a screen pass to the RB, but then sneaked Kelce back the other way for an easy pass.
I've seen variations of it when Art Briles was at UH with Keenum.

I had mentioned on the original TT Board back in Kubiak's early years that I wouldn't mind if he and Briles share some football talks with one another.
I thought Briles was quite innovative with his blocking scheme and play design.

Some may think that the Cougars were an Air Raid team, but at times, they had 3 RBs in the backfield.
Dabo Sweeney may have looked at some of those stuffs, one never knows.
SmartSelect_20200930-220809_Chrome.gif

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That's not the point. Reid creates so much space through formations, shifts and motions. Every qb he's coached had career yrs under him. When he gets a uber talent like Mahomes, it's like he's toying with everyone. Think about McNabb, Kevin Kolb, Vick, Smith, and now Mahomes. Why have all those qbs had career yrs under Reid? How come he can find Westbrook, McCoy, Hunt, and now Clyde? What about te? Lewis, Ertz, Kelce? Because he know how to design offense. Hell, they went 3-1 with Matt Moore last yr.
That is the only point. Reid does a great job of creating alot of window dressing with all that motion & shifting..& the defense has to respect that with all of KC's speed. But Mahomes is the guy who ultimately pulls the trigger & makes the right decision & rarely is forcing it downfield. He is outstanding at taking............. & killing you with the underneath stuff to Kelce & his RB's & he'll take that short check down underneath stuff all the way down the field and let his guys take a 5 yard dig an extra 4-5 thru YAC. (The Texans are all too familiar with this from the playoff game & the game this year). Then, just when you get to creeping up blitzing more and desperate b/c you can't stop them and force mistakes, he'll go over the top to Hill, Watkins & Hardman. If you get pressure on him he has the ability to throw scramble & throw off-platform 50+ plus yards in the air....or fall back on his back foot and chunk it damn near the same distance. He can throw it from all different types of arm slots......and throw it all like that ACCURATELY.

All that i highlighted in the intalics has very little and pretty much nothing to do with Andy Reid and his scheme..

All those guys you named above had good seasons but nothing all that special dude.

Furthermore, what you have going on right now with KC is similar to what was going on with the G.S. Warriors in 2015..A truly generational talent is just better than everybody at something and has a squad around him that nobody can really compete with.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
That is the only point. Reid does a great job of creating alot of window dressing with all that motion & shifting..& the defense has to respect that with all of KC's speed. But Mahomes is the guy who ultimately pulls the trigger & makes the right decision & rarely is forcing it downfield. He is outstanding at taking............. & killing you with the underneath stuff to Kelce & his RB's & he'll take that short check down underneath stuff all the way down the field and let his guys take a 5 yard dig an extra 4-5 thru YAC. (The Texans are all too familiar with this from the playoff game & the game this year). Then, just when you get to creeping up blitzing more and desperate b/c you can't stop them and force mistakes, he'll go over the top to Hill, Watkins & Hardman. If you get pressure on him he has the ability to throw scramble & throw off-platform 50+ plus yards in the air....or fall back on his back foot and chunk it damn near the same distance. He can throw it from all different types of arm slots......and throw it all like that ACCURATELY.

All that i highlighted in the intalics has very little and pretty much nothing to do with Andy Reid and his scheme..

All those guys you named above had good seasons but nothing all that special dude.

Furthermore, what you have going on right now with KC is similar to what was going on with the G.S. Warriors in 2015..A truly generational talent is just better than everybody at something and has a squad around him that nobody can really compete with.
Again, Reid has a history with different qbs. He kmow how to get wrs open in space. The Texans under O'Brien has been one of the absolute worse teams running a screen. On the flip side, Andy is one of the best at it. Basic execution.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
How physical was this play? 3rd and 7
View attachment 6720
You gotta understand how feared Mahomes and that offense is right now. You've got 2 choices come after him or sit back and let him deal. The Ravens are a heavy blitz team & i'm sure this was in the scouting report. In that regard, its not that hard to anticipate that in a 3rd and 5 or longer, they were going to try to come after him instead of letting him sit back and pick them apart.........like he did on the 1st drive against them in the game.

it was a timely call by Reid/Beinemy, but The rest of that is all Helaire b/c The Ravens defenders did sniff it out. You can tell by how those defenders just let Tyreke Hill go. Mahomes dumped it and it was actually a -5 yard completion. Helaire turned into a 12 yard gain...Again, that had next to nothing to do with Reid

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Can you do the first offensive play by the Chiefs.
That was a lot of motions/misdirections well executed by the whole offense.
It didn't need a great QB nor a great back/receiver.

This play:
19:20110KAN 25Tyreek Hill left end for 22 yards (tackle by Pernell McPhee)

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Again, Reid has a history with different qbs. He kmow how to get wrs open in space. The Texans under O'Brien has been one of the absolute worse teams running a screen. On the flip side, Andy is one of the best at it. Basic execution.
The Texans are't very good at MIDDLE screens to rbs.....that's very different than being bad at screens all together. They've run those WR's screens for years here & they work out decently for the most part....but they don't run enough middle screens to RB period imo...

Texansballer74

The Marine
You gotta understand how feared Mahomes and that offense is right now. You've got 2 choices come after him or sit back and let him deal. The Ravens are a heavy blitz team & i'm sure this was in the scouting report. In that regard, its not that hard to anticipate that in a 3rd and 5 or longer, they were going to try to come after him instead of letting him sit back and pick them apart.........like he did on the 1st drive against them in the game.

it was a timely call by Reid/Beinemy, but The rest of that is all Helaire b/c The Ravens defenders did sniff it out. You can tell by how those defenders just let Tyreke Hill go. Mahomes dumped it and it was actually a -5 yard completion. Helaire turned into a 12 yard gain...Again, that had next to nothing to do with Reid

Lol at how feared Mahomas is.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Lol at how feared Mahomas is.
You dont think Mahomes is feared? Crazy talk. Mahomes is the most feared player in the NFL. Followed closely by Rodgers.

Funny that y'all seem to think Bienemy is calling plays. (He's not) It's like some have an agenda here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Imo id actually put wilson on par with mahomes. I love watching him play. If I remember correctly wilson was 76texan guy in the draft?
I wanted both Wilson and Keenum; I figured they would be underrated (and they were).
Even though they played in different systems, they play a similar style.
They both look to get the ball to the play makers (they read defenses well for college QBs).
Wilson would be a great fit since he played in the WCO at Wisconsin.
Keenum played in an Air Raid system, but I had seen him under center (mostly to run the ball) and I can see he has good movement on the ball fake and stuff that can translate well into the play action pass.
And some of the RPO stuffs we see lately were already part of the playbook for him at UH.

They would be great insurance for one another.
Wilson, of course, would have the upper hand coming in, with his familiarity with the WCO.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I’m not sure if this has been posted but Cobb had some interesting responses about the offense yesterday. I just heard it on 610, not sure if it’s been posted here or another thread but basically indirectly called out play calling (in a nice way). Basically said we need more quick hitting stuff called. He said we’ve been calling longer developing plays.

austins23

Hall of Fame
He said we’ve been calling longer developing plays.
Somebody needs to tell OB that the offense needs to be tweaked. Attack the LB'ers, make them defend the edges. The Steelers game the offense finally got a matchup against a LB'er and he was wide open only to have Watson over throw him. In Watson's defense he was probably so excited at seeing someone that open he just got excited and chucked it!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The answer to the OP's thread is he hasn't done well. As Corrosion pointed out, the checkdowns are there. He just has to use them.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I’m not sure if this has been posted but Cobb had some interesting responses about the offense yesterday. I just heard it on 610, not sure if it’s been posted here or another thread but basically indirectly called out play calling (in a nice way). Basically said we need more quick hitting stuff called. He said we’ve been calling longer developing plays.
Here you go:

UncleShorty

Practice Squad
With watson @ qb the hapless texans will go, at best, 3-13. Cut him now, he's no good anyway. He ALWAYS chokes w/ the game on the line.

Best bet for the eternally "rebuilding" Houston Dumpster Fires is to draft another mediocre qb so they can continue their record of pratfalls and face plants.

Go texans! 1-15, you can do it!!!

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Watson, and the rest of the league's QB's, through 6 games - according to PFF..
6. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
Change: –
There was a line of thought from some (me among them … oops) that losing DeAndre Hopkins might force Deshaun Watson to become a better quarterback, improving his foundational process to find the right open receiver and not just default to throwing it at Hopkins when in doubt. If that’s going to happen, it’s going to be a slow burn. Watson has had periods of notable struggles so far this season as he endures a nightmare schedule. That being said, as the defenses have gotten easier, we have seen his performances improve, and he remains an incredibly talented quarterback who has 17 big-time throws already despite that brutal slate.
Ranking all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks after Week 6 of the 2020 season