Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson through 3 Games

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Same thing happened last week with the defense. DW4’s gotta learn to get rid of the ball when things aren’t there. At least 2 of the sacks he took he did not have to take. THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY!! When he doesn’t & he takes a sack, That sets the offense back and off schedule. That in turn sets the offense in 3rd and long situations......when we know the defense is really gonna come hard after him...& it takes the running game completely out of the equation. You heard Charles Davis allude to it in the broadcast.....it’s in the scouting report against DW4 now. Teams BANK on him holding the ball too long. It works out for him sometimes but so far this season it has primarily worked against him. I’m tired of seeing him holding holding holding waiting for something to come open deep only for him to take a sack or force the ball and throw an int. TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVES YOU!!!

The other thing I’m tired of seeing? Darren Fells and Akins trying to block or chip on the edge. They aren’t good at it, and at least 1 play a game, their failure to effectively block or chip has led directly to a sack or fumble. ENOUGH!

I also don’t recall seeing a single screen all game, which to me is a major oversight against a defense that blitzes ALOT.

The defense...the linebacker play has been largely terrible all season...Mercy, McKinney and Cunningham have been overpowered, juked and just flat out run over all season. The unfortunate irony for us is every single 1 of those guys are signed long term...

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Same thing happened last week with the defense. DW4’s gotta learn to get rid of the ball when things aren’t there. At least 2 of the sacks he took he did not have to take. THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY!! When he doesn’t & he takes a sack, That sets the offense back and off schedule. That in turn sets the offense in 3rd and long situations......when we know the defense is really gonna come hard after him...& it takes the running game completely out of the equation. You heard Charles Davis allude to it in the broadcast.....it’s in the scouting report against DW4 now. Teams BANK on him holding the ball too long. It works out for him sometimes but so far this season it has primarily worked against him. I’m tired of seeing him holding holding holding waiting for something to come open deep only for him to take a sack or force the ball and throw an int. TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVES YOU!!!

The other thing I’m tired of seeing? Darren Fells and Akins trying time block or chip on the edge. They aren’t good at it, and at least 1 play a game, their failure to effectively block or chip has led directly to a sack or fumble. ENOUGH!

I also don’t recall seeing a single screen all game, which to me is a major oversight against a defense that blitzes ALOT.

The defense...the linebacker play has been largely terrible all season...Mercy, McKinney and Cunningham have been overpowered, juked and just flat out run over all season. The unfortunate irony for us is every single 1 of those guys are signed long term...
Let me ask you this... do you think the pass pro was good today?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Let me ask you this... do you think the pass pro was good today?
it was good in the 1st half and DW4 was making good decisions against it for the most part. Pass pro in the 2nd was suspect tho..Pitt upped there blitzing and intensity Gotta understand though that DW4’s decision making is what makes or breaks the pass pro at times. If he gets up off the ball and/or throws it away WHEN HE CAN, we’re not facing 2nd and 13 or 3rd and 9’s. We also can’t throw it every down either like a lot of people would like for us to.

He has got to be better and more consistent and even keel with his decision making. Can’t be all or nothing with him every time.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
it was good in the 1st half and DW4 was making good decisions against it for the most part. Pass pro in the 2nd was suspect tho..Pitt upped there blitzing and intensity Gotta understand though that DW4’s decision making is what makes or breaks the pass pro at times. If he gets up off the ball and/or throws it away WHEN HE CAN, we’re not facing 2nd and 13 or 3rd and 9’s. We also can’t throw it every down either like a lot of people would like for us to.

He has got to be better and more consistent and even keel with his decision making. Can’t be all or nothing with him every time.
I agree with you about not throwing it every down. Our inability to at least average 3ypc is why they didn't score in the 2nd half, not the conservative play calling.

So pass pro not good, run game horrible... I'm not gonna harp on DW for holding onto the ball to try make something happen. Just like the INT, I'm not getting mad at him for trying to make a play, when you can't prove to me the alternative is better. There was probably only one play today where I wanted him to throw the ball away and he didn't.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I agree with you about not throwing it every down. Our inability to at least average 3ypc is why they didn't score in the 2nd half, not the conservative play calling.

So pass pro not good, run game horrible... I'm not gonna harp on DW for holding onto the ball to try make something happen. Just like the INT, I'm not getting mad at him for trying to make a play, when you can't prove to me the alternative is better. There was probably only one play today where I wanted him to throw the ball away and he didn't.
only time I advocate for that is when it’s late in the game and you have to have it. That particular play, wasn’t the time to try to force it downfield. Take the check down if it’s there, run it and get what you can get, or throw it away and live to fight another down. We had good momentum that drive....Him throwing that pick there took all of our momentum and gave it to the Steelers. It also flipped the field after we’d literally just done that with Cobb’slong reception. It’s more than just a TO when you’re in a tight game like that.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
only time I advocate for that is when it’s late in the game and you have to have it. That particular play, wasn’t the time to try to force it downfield. Take the check down if it’s there, run it and get what you can get, or throw it away and live to fight another down. We had good momentum that drive....Him throwing that pick there took all of our momentum and gave it to the Steelers. It also flipped the field after we’d literally just done that with Cobb’slong reception. It’s more than just a TO when you’re in a tight game like that.
This is a conservative vs aggressive debate. TBH, don't think either side is necessarily incorrect. For my taste, I don't have any qualms with his decision. Would have liked a better throw, would have liked a better attempt to catch the ball. I simply don't mind the attempt when the alternative was either a punt or a 55ish yard FG attempt.

The inability to run the ball or give good pass protection is why the offense struggled in the 2nd half, not DW holding onto the ball.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
This is a conservative vs aggressive debate. TBH, don't think either side is necessarily incorrect. For my taste, I don't have any qualms with his decision. Would have liked a better throw, would have liked a better attempt to catch the ball. I simply don't mind the attempt when the alternative was either a punt or a 55ish yard FG attempt.

The inability to run the ball or give good pass protection is why the offense struggled in the 2nd half, not DW holding onto the ball.
I was more mad about the hit he took then the INT. With an aggressive QB like Watson, you will get INTs that you will not like, but you will also get amazing throws in tight windows for big gains. You take the bad with the good. I also think the WR should have attacked that ball a tad more than he did.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Gents the offensive game plan is what killed this team. Not Watson holding onto the ball. They went run happy in the 2nd half. There was no sense of urgency because the always smartest guy in the room didn’t jump on the momentum they had going onto the half. The running game wasn’t there but on the first two touches they ran the ball instead of doing what worked in the first half.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Gents the offensive game plan is what killed this team. Not Watson holding onto the ball. They went run happy in the 2nd half. There was no sense of urgency because the always smartest guy in the room didn’t jump on the momentum they had going onto the half. The running game wasn’t there but on the first two touches they ran the ball instead of doing what worked in the first half.
Well, it’s hard to analyze their 2nd half on such a small sample size. I mean, they only ran 17 plays in the 2nd half.

Decim8

Veteran
If u expected the defense to struggle, y would u not expect the offense to struggle against arguably the best defense in the league?
It's not just this game but also the previous two, and yeah you could say it's due to a lack of pre season games but so what? So have all the other teams and their offense ain't struggling this bad esp one that's been in the works for 6-7 years

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It's not just this game but also the previous two, and yeah you could say it's due to a lack of pre season games but so what? So have all the other teams and their offense ain't struggling this bad esp one that's been in the works for 6-7 years
O'Brien could have 16 preseason games, and his team would still be struggling against the contenders.
Didn't you get the memo? :corrosion:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Pittsburgh said, we don't respect the run and BOB tried to run the ball. Every opportunity created 3rd and long. Again, why not uptempo and forget the run

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Here are Deshaun's rankings through 3 games:

12th Passing yards
t19th Passing TDS
t26th INTS
31st Sacks

Terrible, but I don't think it's because he's suddenly became a bad player. If you look at the pieces on the offense, the Texan's offense should be dynamic and explosive. Yet it's not. Every game it sputters along. Occasionally you get a glimpse of what it could do.

I thought with the changes made in the off season, BOB was maybe gearing up to change the offense and make it fast paced. But it's the same plodding, predictable scheme it's been for years. The most misdirection I ever see from this offense is a basic play-action pass. It's enraging to see the talent on this team wasted like this.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pittsburgh said, we don't respect the run and BOB tried to run the ball. Every opportunity created 3rd and long. Again, why not uptempo and forget the run
I’m thinking the choice to run uptempo is being left to DW4. And no, you can’t just throw it every possession either. As it was, Johnson only carried the ball 13 times for the entire game..Prosise carried it once. How much more “forget the run” can you do at that point?

austins23

Hall of Fame
I’m thinking the choice to run uptempo is being left to DW4. And no, you can’t just throw it every possession either. As it was, Johnson only carried the ball 13 times for the entire game..Prosise carried it once. How much more “forget the run” can you do at that point?
Uptempo... I think it was the drive that Watson threw the pick. First play of the drive, chunk play. Offense hurries up, runs a play up the guards ass for a gain of 2.
just maddening... what’s the point? You go up tempo to keep em on their heels. That just never makes sense to me

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Uptempo doesn't mean run and Uptempo isn't up to him. Know how I know? The coach is changing out personel every play. What you do is put your best personel out and run a series of plays which keeps the defense vanilla and the same players on the field.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Uptempo doesn't mean run and Uptempo isn't up to him. Know how I know? The coach is changing out personel every play. What you do is put your best personel out and run a series of plays which keeps the defense vanilla and the same players on the field.
I guess what I’m saying is you’re saying forget the run. But running uptempo can incorporate that too. Regardless of what tempo you run, you still need to be able to run the ball & I don’t think it would’ve helped us too much against the #1 rush defense in the league.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I guess what I’m saying is you’re saying forget the run. But running uptempo can incorporate that too. Regardless of what tempo you run, you still need to be able to run the ball & I don’t think it would’ve helped us too much against the #1 rush defense in the league.
Sure but when you’re losing and your QB is carving them up you don’t try to establish the run. Just let it rip. They have zero feel for calling plays. We are killing them so let’s call a wr screen. So frustrating

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Again they were behind the sticks 3rd and extra long. The heat was on right off the jump. So he was either going to go out of bounds for no yardage on that play. Therefore we we’re going to punt. So what’s your point?
Eat it/throw it away. Would’ve been a long shot given how our defense has been playing but you continue to play the field position game..You don’t force it in a situation like that even though his throw was essentially like a punt. The int was more than just a TO..it gave the momentum back to Pitt.

If you watch that play, DW4 had DJ31 AND Fells running wide open by themselves in front of him. Sure, they were t going to get 15 yards for a 1st down but 7-8 possibly 10, can get them on the edge of FG range. You take what the defense gives you in that situation over a force downfield. In addition to this, HE WAS UNDER NO IMMEDIATE PRESSURE...yet he left the pocket...

This is early in the play..easy dump off there to Akins on his left or DJ31 on his right. As you can see, the ball is on the 43. Get the ball in your playmakers’ hands..perhaps they can make someone miss and you’re on the edge of FG range.

EA6759DD-6454-4EE8-85E8-A39ED17FAD4F.png

Here it is a few secs later. Tunsil I’m assuming thinks he’s gotten rid of the ball so Dupree comes free late..& DW4 still hasn’t gotten rid of the ball. Akins and DJ31 are still running pretty much by themselves. Easy check down there and no need to force the ball downfield like he wound up doing.
D0989586-888A-4C3D-8D30-C73AF1FBCCA4.png

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Eat it/throw it away. Would’ve been a long shot given how our defense has been playing but you continue to play the field position game..You don’t force it in a situation like that even though his throw was essentially like a punt. The int was more than just a TO..it gave the momentum back to Pitt.

If you watch that play, DW4 had DJ31 AND Fells running wide open by themselves in front of him. Sure, they were t going to get 15 yards for a 1st down but 7-8 possibly 10, can get them on the edge of FG range. You take what the defense gives you in that situation over a force downfield. In addition to this, HE WAS UNDER NO IMMEDIATE PRESSURE...yet he left the pocket...

This is early in the play..easy dump off there to Akins on his left or DJ31 on his right. As you can see, the ball is on the 43. Get the ball in your playmakers’ hands..perhaps they can make someone miss and you’re on the edge of FG range.

View attachment 6682

Here it is a few secs later. Tunsil I’m assuming thinks he’s gotten rid of the ball so Dupree comes free late..& DW4 still hasn’t gotten rid of the ball. Akins and DJ31 are still running pretty much by themselves. Easy check down there and no need to force the ball downfield like he wound up doing.
View attachment 6683

A picture is worth a thousand words.

austins23

Hall of Fame
In th

View attachment 6682

View attachment 6683
in the second pic no way he can turn and throw to the TE and Johnson is running up field. Agreed he should have dumped it earlier (first screen shot)

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I made a post around here somewhere where 77% of their 2nd down plays Sunday were 8 yards plus to gain. And 3rd downs where only down to 53-56%, somewhere in that neighborhood, with 8 or more yards to gain.

You can’t have a consistent offense being behind the sticks like that on a consistent basis. I don’t care who your QB is. Sure Watson gets some of that, but DJ31 getting minimal to negative yards on 1st, then they run him again on 2nd, sure doesn’t help the cause. WR screens that go for -5.

Those long down and distances allow the defense to get after it, and this o-line just isn’t good enough to handle that.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In th

in the second pic no way he can turn and throw to the TE and Johnson is running up field. Agreed he should have dumped it earlier (first screen shot)
They’d already began turning to run up field b/c he got happy feet back there and started to scramble. A simple slide up in the pocket and flip to either of those guys was still possible. These are little things that separate the good from the great. People keep harping on the pressure he keeps receiving and talk about the o-line...yeah they need to play better for sure, but You’re not gonna have a clean pocket all game either. defenses keep blitzing him and keeping the pressure on b/c he’s not making them pay for doing it....and they know they can force him into mistakes pretty consistently now b/c it’s on tape.

Teams don’t do that to Brady and Mahomes..& Rodgers, b/c they’re scared to death of getting beat over the top. Rodgers with no Devante Adams last night? No problems...that wasn’t scheme, that wasn’t playcalling like everyone likes to blame for DW4’s shortcomings...it was Rodgers magic.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
I made a post around here somewhere where 77% of their 2nd down plays Sunday were 8 yards plus to gain. And 3rd downs where only down to 53-56%, somewhere in that neighborhood, with 8 or more yards to gain.

You can’t have a consistent offense being behind the sticks like that on a consistent basis. I don’t care who your QB is. Sure Watson gets some of that, but DJ31 getting minimal to negative yards on 1st, then they run him again on 2nd, sure doesn’t help the cause. WR screens that go for -5.

Those long down and distances allow the defense to get after it, and this o-line just isn’t good enough to handle that.
One thing that really bothers me is watching games and knowing what they're going to run on offense and then watching the opposing offense and knowing exactly where they're going on passing downs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Here are Deshaun's rankings through 3 games:

12th Passing yards
t19th Passing TDS
t26th INTS
31st Sacks

Terrible, but I don't think it's because he's suddenly became a bad player. If you look at the pieces on the offense, the Texan's offense should be dynamic and explosive. Yet it's not. Every game it sputters along. Occasionally you get a glimpse of what it could do.

I thought with the changes made in the off season, BOB was maybe gearing up to change the offense and make it fast paced. But it's the same plodding, predictable scheme it's been for years. The most misdirection I ever see from this offense is a basic play-action pass. It's enraging to see the talent on this team wasted like this.
You're right it hasn't just been the 3 games this yr. It's the last 5 games of last yr and the 1st 3 games of this yr.

5 games last yr + 3 games this yr is very simple math = 8 bad games in a row. That's what a trend looks like and fanboys can make all of the excuses in the world but DC's have figured his game out and things may get some better (But I doubt it) and there will be no championships.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In that first pic, could he possibly be going through reads understanding down and distance? No one on this OL should ever stop blocking, they should be blocking in their sleep, when they eat and even when they shat!
The Steelers rushed 5..which means there were 6 in coverage. In contrast, we had 5 out in route...2 of those are DJ31 and Akins...which means there were only 3 guys actually downfield.
So yes its possible this is what he was doing, but you gotta understand, They’re using 6 guys to cover our 5 and when you really look at it, they’re using 4 to cover our 3 who are actually downfield. Either way, it’s not wise to force the ball downfield in that situation when the numbers are against you.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Again they were behind the sticks 3rd and extra long. The heat was on right off the jump. So he was either going to go out of bounds for no yardage on that play. Therefore we we’re going to punt. So what’s your point?
In his post game interview, Watson mentioned he was trying to go to Fuller and the ball sailed on him. @Mr teX , can you provide a screenshot of where Fuller was when he released the ball?

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In his post game interview, Watson mentioned he was trying to go to Fuller and the ball sailed on him. @Mr teX , can you provide a screenshot of where Fuller was when he released the ball?
there u go.

The All-22 isn’t available yet, but during the broadcast, Charles Davis diagrammed it and this is what they used. Fuller is sitting right on the 20 yard marker. Stills is behind him...he actually looks more open given that void between he and where Fuller is.

F33D874C-3B0A-4FEB-A575-BB454E8DB312.png